PDA

View Full Version : Fighter with use magic device.

Chidori
2016-12-19, 04:27 PM
A friends ask me if it was possible to have use magic device as a fighter.

Like is there a feat that can allow you to have a skill become class skill. Or is there any good prestige or core classes that he could take to help him out with is build.

He want to play a warforged fighter. But able to use wands. For healing(repair).

Any tips for him?

All forgotten realm book, dragon magazin are ban. The dm wont hoyse rule a feat or anything. If it not in an official rulebook. Then it ban. Plus he wont change it if it like region restricted or stuff like that

ComaVision
2016-12-19, 04:32 PM
There are ways. Check out this thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?451088-Alternative-ways-to-get-new-Class-skills)

Grod_The_Giant
2016-12-19, 05:20 PM
There are ways. Check out this thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?451088-Alternative-ways-to-get-new-Class-skills)
Still not fantastic options for UMD. Apprentice from DMG 2 gives you it as a class skill for 5 levels, but has a bunch of other weird options attached.

What books are allowed? Would your friend accept a non-Fighter-class based build?

Chidori
2016-12-19, 05:35 PM
All book are allowed
Except forgotten realm books, tome of battle, book of exalted deeds, unearthed arcana.

He want fighter for the variant for warforged and dungeoncrasher. To bullrush stuff. But he want the wand for self repair.

That what he want i could ask him. But that do you suggest? I could tell him what u suggest

ZamielVanWeber
2016-12-19, 05:39 PM
Wedded to History (Golden Ager) gives UMD permanently class as well as buffing the skill, but is dragon magazine content

ComaVision
2016-12-19, 05:42 PM
Still not fantastic options for UMD. Apprentice from DMG 2 gives you it as a class skill for 5 levels, but has a bunch of other weird options attached.

Surpassing your mentor does not stop UMD from being a class skill for the purposes of max ranks. It's more costly but it lets you invest in UMD without cross-classing or using non-approved sources.

HalfQuart
2016-12-19, 07:03 PM
Apprentice (Spellcaster) does seem like the best way mechanically to get UMD as a class skill if Dragon Magazine and Forgotten Realms are banned sources, but the fluff of Apprentice seems like it would be a hard sell to a DM -- is a spellcaster mentor really going to take and keep a Warforged Fighter as an apprentice if he doesn't take any spellcaster levels? And then there are also the tasks that an apprentice needs to perform for the master, which would take a fair bit of DM cooperation. I think the player would really need to sell this as a key part of the character's backstory to get it to fly. And if you don't keep it up and get kicked out of the apprenticeship you can actually lose skill points which would suck.

The alternative is to dip into a class or PrC with either UMD or the Repair X Damage spells on their spell list. None of the full BAB base classes have UMD on their class list, although with a 2 level dip into Psychic Warrior with the Mantled Warrior ACF he could take Don Mantle to get it UMD as a class skill. Not full BAB, and 2 levels and a feat is quite an investment, but some of the Psychic Warrior powers could be pretty useful. I'm having trouble thinking of a PrC that would work well.

Troacctid
2016-12-19, 07:10 PM
Apprentice (Spellcaster) does seem like the best way mechanically to get UMD as a class skill if Dragon Magazine and Forgotten Realms are banned sources, but the fluff of Apprentice seems like it would be a hard sell to a DM -- is a spellcaster mentor really going to take and keep a Warforged Fighter as an apprentice if he doesn't take any spellcaster levels? And then there are also the tasks that an apprentice needs to perform for the master, which would take a fair bit of DM cooperation. I think the player would really need to sell this as a key part of the character's backstory to get it to fly. And if you don't keep it up and get kicked out of the apprenticeship you can actually lose skill points which would suck.
You could also take a feat to gain magic, such as Necropolis Born or Night Haunt. Or you could say you're building up to a spellcasting prestige class such as Divine Crusader, Soldier of Light, Suel Arcanamach, or War Mind.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-12-19, 07:19 PM
All book are allowed
Except forgotten realm books, tome of battle, book of exalted deeds, unearthed arcana.

He want fighter for the variant for warforged and dungeoncrasher. To bullrush stuff. But he want the wand for self repair.

That what he want i could ask him. But that do you suggest? I could tell him what u suggest
Hmm... Dungeoncrasher is pretty solid, though it largely conflicts with the Warforged sub levels. (Well, the second-level one, but that's the only really useful one, sooooo...)

How about Dungeoncrasher Fighter 2/Mantled Warrior (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a) Psychic Warrior 2+? Taking the Magic Mantle gives you UMD as a class skill right when it's starting to get useful, but is kind enough to basically refund you the points if you invested cross-class before gaining it. Dungeoncrasher 2 gets you some basic bonus damage for smacking people around, and PsyWar gives you stuff like the ever-lovely Expansion power to make you better at it. Careful power selection can refluff everything as internal components.

Chidori
2016-12-19, 07:22 PM
But at lvl 5 he can graduate and take the mentor feat in exchange and not worry about. Been expluse. He would still need to explain why he was an apprentice to a mage

Ywvbevlin
2016-12-19, 09:33 PM
Simple. Just hombrew a fighter with UmD.

Thurbane
2016-12-19, 09:41 PM
Well, if UA wasn't banned and the character wasn't Warforged, I'd suggest Human Paragon levels. Only lose 1 BAB, gain a bunch of skills, a bonus feat and an ability boost.

Ywvbevlin
2016-12-19, 09:42 PM
Well, if UA wasn't banned and the character wasn't Warforged, I'd suggest Human Paragon levels. Only lose 1 BAB, gain a bunch of skills, a bonus feat and an ability boost.

Too bad thats totaly useless

Chidori
2016-12-19, 10:35 PM
So at lvl 1 he take apprentice. Once he lvl 5 he become a mentor.

1.Do he still keep the umd and knowledge as class skill?

Also mentor feat say u gain a +2. To any of the four skill.

2.Does that mean he can only take one bonus?

3.If he become a mentor must he be a mentor of the same of is past mentor.

Like he was a spellcaster apprentice and now he a soldier mentor?

Troacctid
2016-12-19, 11:18 PM
I mean, if it were allowed, Generic Warrior (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm) gets to just straight-up pick its class skills.

So at lvl 1 he take apprentice. Once he lvl 5 he become a mentor.

1.Do he still keep the umd and knowledge as class skill?
"Once the apprentice reaches 5th level, he graduates from his apprenticeship. He continues to gain the benefits of the Apprentice feat, but no longer needs to work with his mentor. The mentor’s associated skills remain class skills for purposes of determining the maximum rank he can have in those skills, and he still retains the secondary benefits, but an associated skill can only be purchased as a class skill if he gains a level in a class that has that skill as a class skill."

—DMG2 p178

Also mentor feat say u gain a +2. To any of the four skill.

2.Does that mean he can only take one bonus?
No, it applies to all checks that involve any of the four skills.

3.If he become a mentor must he be a mentor of the same of is past mentor.

Like he was a spellcaster apprentice and now he a soldier mentor?
Pretty sure yeah.

Thurbane
2016-12-19, 11:25 PM
Too bad thats totaly useless

For this OP, yes,

For other poeple who come across this thread down the track and have a similar issue...