PDA

View Full Version : How much does it cost?

Thac0 Redeye
2016-12-19, 06:16 PM
Our party recently acquired a full undamaged hide from a displacer beast. If we were to sell it, what would the fair market price be? Also how/where do you find pricing for this type of item.
On the flip side if we wanted to have it formed into a cloak of displacement, what would the discount be from the listed price of 50,000 gp in the DMG?
Thanks

PacMan2247
2016-12-19, 06:43 PM
I'm not aware of any official guide to pricing these things, but there are certainly folks on these boards with deeper knowledge than mine.

This strikes me as something with room for a fair amount of DM hand waving. Standard treasure for CR4 looks to be 1200gp, and the displacer beast entry says (unhelpfully) 1/10 coins, 50% goods, and 50% items; I'd say 600gp at most for the hide, assuming that's to represent the goods recovered.

It could (and probably should) also be argued that getting the hide intact is a special circumstance, and not really covered by the standard treasure here. I'm fairly certain I've seen bits of displacer beast as components for at least one spell, and it strikes me as a specialty item with outsized value to an experimenting mage, or perhaps a taxidermist with clientele favoring something rare like this. That said, this is a good opportunity for the players and DM to have something like a cloak of displacement with a meaningful back story added to the game, and most DMs of my recent experience would jump at the opportunity to dramatically lower the cost of such an item under the circumstances. With the tentacles intact, I would think a bonus to grapple would also be appropriate as an addition to a more standard cloak of displacement, but hey, that's just me.

Thac0 Redeye
2016-12-19, 06:51 PM
For reference, we did find this hide in the bad guys lair. he had a large taxidermy work shop. so the "treasure" wasn't from killing the beast but the BBEG.

PacMan2247
2016-12-19, 08:14 PM
That definitely makes a difference. In that case, I'd say a simple Appraise check will give you an idea of what the DM feels it should be worth in your world. Regardless of whether s/he is prepared with a value, getting creative with things like your original idea for a cloak of displacement is a sound plan.