PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for pithy sayings

oncnawan
2016-12-19, 08:46 PM
I am playing a Doomguide in Stormking's Thunder.
Doomguide is a homebrewed paladin oath I posted here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?509457-5e-Doomguide-need-feedback

During peace time, he preaches about the afterlife being a happy thing (don't fear the light, go toward the light, etc.).

During battle, he chants scripture. Examples of battle chants:
1. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
2. May you shelter in the palm of the Creator's hand, and may the last embrace of the mother welcome you home.

After battle, he gives last rites, etc.

I am soliciting cool ideas for things to say during battle. Basically war/death "scripture" from holy texts or fantasy books. Thanks.

Bohandas
2016-12-19, 09:06 PM
I am playing a Doomguide in Stormking's Thunder.
Doomguide is a homebrewed paladin oath I posted here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?509457-5e-Doomguide-need-feedback

During peace time, he preaches about the afterlife being a happy thing (don't fear the light, go toward the light, etc.).

During battle, he chants scripture. Examples of battle chants:
1. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
2. May you shelter in the palm of the Creator's hand, and may the last embrace of the mother welcome you home.

After battle, he gives last rites, etc.

I am soliciting cool ideas for things to say during battle. Basically war/death "scripture" from holy texts or fantasy books. Thanks.

From the movies Pulp Fiction and Karate Kiba:

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

oncnawan
2016-12-19, 09:08 PM
From the movies Pulp Fiction and Karate Kiba:

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Ha, ha. Yes. This is perfect. Keep 'em coming!

Armored Walrus
2016-12-19, 10:16 PM
"Now thine eyes shall see the glory of the wielding of my sword!"

"Repent! There is still time to repent! Oh, sorry, I killed you, no time left for you now."

"The end is near! Especially for you!"

"Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war!"

Ruslan
2016-12-19, 10:39 PM
I shall smite thee with my mighty blade!
I shall spread the buttery justice of Therin over the toast of your iniquity!
The succulent jam of light shall sweeten the sour dough of your evil ways!
The creamer of light will dull the bitterness of your evil, unholy coffee taste!
The spatula of purity shall scramble the eggs of your malfeasance!

Sorry, could not resist (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GD8JeilDPA).

oncnawan
2016-12-19, 10:55 PM
On the snarky side, I've got, "rest in pieces."

I do like the longer, more serious chants. I'll have to look up the lyrics of a few dirges.

Bohandas
2016-12-20, 12:40 AM
...112. The brightness of noontide is as a candle against the radiance of the glory of The LORD and the unfading light of backwards particles; the redeemed and the stamped walk in the sunless glory of perpetual day; 113. And in the burning Light shall the fierce and terrible knowledge of The LORD strike thee dumb; thou shalt not escape the Light, nor hide thy inmost self; for in the Light shall thy fear of the God of Wrath be lit forever more. -The Prescriptures of BOB Dobbs

EDIT:
29 Thou art but clay for Me, which thou forgeteth every day, and which giveth me a few things against thee; so I shall come quickly, and descend with a shriek, and I shall smite thee with Mine Fist. 30 And these tribulations shall fall upon each man and woman, each in his turn, and though thou follow this My Covenant even so shall none escape. For thy brains are as of wax, and melteth even as thou are lighted; so ask not why I make My works through thee, for I have a few reasons: thou art not to know. 31 And so I chortle and spit upon thee, for it makes me well pleased. -The Prescriptures of J.R.BOB Dobbs

EDIT:
124 For man must know that he hath broken his Covenant. 125 And ye shall soil thy loincloth with the Fear of The LORD. 126 For The LORD is a God of Wrath. -The Prescriptures of BOB Dobbs

EDIT:
I will knock down the Gates of the Netherworld; I will smash the door posts, and leave the doors flat down; and will make the dead rise up and they will eat the living! -Epic of Gilgamesh, Tablet 6

Falcon X
2016-12-20, 03:17 PM
"Fear death and you fear life" (In reference to paranoia ruining the better things in life).

"Today, death comes to you. Tomorrow, your family. Rest knowing that you ride off into the afterlife together." (Ideally right after discovering where the enemy's wife and kids are sleeping).

Socratov
2016-12-20, 04:25 PM
Shamelessly stolen from the Boondock Saints:

"And shepherds we shall be,
for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand.
That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth unto Thee,
and teeming with souls shall it ever be
[insert appropriate dedication to chosen deity]

BDRook
2016-12-20, 04:46 PM
*Starts casting a spell* "Do not fear child for soon you'll walk with the Gods" *Casts spell* "Embrace eternity!"

Hrugner
2016-12-20, 04:48 PM
-Calm yourself and submit, face death with dignity and shake his hand clean of the filth and sweat of battle.
-You charge for the horns and sleep through the bells while your lords get ever fatter. Flee and steal the fat for yourselves or stand and drink the wine eternal.
-Fall now and I swear you will never need to fall again. Your death is my promise.
-When you wake in a valley drenched in war and see all around you laying still, close your eyes again and sleep in pursuit of those that went before.

JackPhoenix
2016-12-20, 07:25 PM
..And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, 'O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that, with it, Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits in Thy mercy'. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats...And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then, lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.'
-Armaments 2:9-21

... I'll let myself out

Anderlith
2016-12-21, 12:09 AM
Not from anything

Be thankful creature for the death i give you, for in death your soul shall be stolen to Hell to suffer a thousand tortures, be thankful that [insert evil god/demon] shall take your soul & not I, for i am not so gentle.

Kane0
2016-12-21, 12:18 AM
"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind. Therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."

"Pass swiftly and safely to the everlife, for your time among the living is at it's end."

"Fear not life after life, for your eternity is yet to begin."

Laserlight
2016-12-21, 01:32 AM
Psalm 144 v 1: "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

"Ego te absolvo"--in The Song of Roland, the archbishop absolved his foes as he slew them.

JackPhoenix
2016-12-21, 04:35 AM
THE SHADOWS BRING EVIL. THEY RAPE, THEY KILL, THEY STEAL. THEY DECEIVE, THEY TURN BLIND EYES, THEY BRIBE AND CHEAT.

BUT THE LIGHT.

THE LIGHT BRINGS WRATH. THE LIGHT BRINGS JUSTICE. WHEN THE SHADOWS COME NEAR TO THE LIGHT, THEY ARE SCORCHED. WHEN THEY SNATCH THOSE PRECIOUS TO THE LIGHT, THE INVITE THE FULL WRATH OF THE GODS ONTO THEM.

THE MIGHTY FIST OF THE RIGHTEOUS BROOKS NO CRIME. THE VERY *SKIES* COME CRASHING DOWN UPON THOSE WHO MAKE PERSONAL ENEMIES OF THE VIRTUOUS. WHEN THE FULL WRATH OF JUSTICE IS EXPENDED, NOT EVEN *RAVENS* WILL SEE FIT TO SCAVENGE UPON THE REMAINS OF HIS BROKEN BODIES.

WHEN AT LONG LAST HE BEGS FOR MERCY, THROWING HIMSELF AT THE FEET OF HIS HOLINESS, HE WILL SHED NO TEARS. HE WILL NOT SCOWL. HE WILL NOT STRIKE DOWN THE CRIMINAL, MUCH AS HE MAY DESERVE IT.

NO. HE WILL TAKE THAT CRIMINAL AND REFORGE HIM INTO A MAN OF WORTH. WHETHER IT TAKES A WEEK TO BREAK HIS WILL OR A LIFETIME OF THE PALADIN'S GAUNTLET AGAINST HIS THROAT TO RESTRAIN HIM.

THIS SHADOW WILL NEVER AGAIN BE ALLOWED TO WALK IN DARKNESS. THE BEACON OF VIRTUE WILL BURN AT HIS SIDE FOR EVER.

Sorry for the caps, it is from my collection, originally from 4chan's /tg/, I think

Is that all you got?
Guilt, doubt and fear?
Guilt is the shroud of the weak who repent, and live writhing in the darkness of his own wretched past.
Doubt is the sin of those who deny their purpose.
Bless the heart too strong for doubt...
For he who follows the will of the throne, stands above men and empires.
I know no remorse or guilt.
I know no doubt.
But above all.
I.
KNOW.
NO.
FEAR!

Originally 40k related, Space Marine's answer to Dark Eldar's attempt to mind**** him through psychic artifact.