PDA

View Full Version : Xykon is not stupid

Inigo Montoya
2007-07-16, 11:15 PM
I've been reading the comics for sometime now, and have just read the books; and I've got to say, Xykon is not as stupid as he makes out to be. Easily distracted? Yes. ADD? Definitely. Stupid? Not at all. He just totally ignores every one who is not a current threat. He proves this time and time again through out the strip. But I think the best example is http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0448.html Here Xykon shows he's capable of planing ahead and that his ideas work very well.
Another good example is http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0106.html Sure, it's not that hard to fool a bunch of adventures, but it shows he's thinking about fooling them.

If any one has any thoughts, I'd be glad to hear them.

Ertier
2007-07-16, 11:23 PM
I agree, he is a cold, calculating and cunning sexy shoeless... Wait Xykon... Strike the sexy shoeless part though he is most definitely a god of war...
:xykon: REALLY BADASS

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-16, 11:53 PM
I've been reading the comics for sometime now, and have just read the books; and I've got to say, Xykon is not as stupid as he makes out to be. Easily distracted? Yes. ADD? Definitely. Stupid? Not at all. He just totally ignores every one who is not a current threat. He proves this time and time again through out the strip. But I think the best example is http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0448.html Here Xykon shows he's capable of planing ahead and that his ideas work very well.
Another good example is http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0106.html Sure, it's not that hard to fool a bunch of adventures, but it shows he's thinking about fooling them.

If any one has any thoughts, I'd be glad to hear them.

I agree with you completely. He is high intelligence but low wisdom. I also think that-- hey! Look! BUBBLES!!!

Oberon
2007-07-17, 01:11 AM
I agree with you completely. He is high intelligence but low wisdom. I also think that-- hey! Look! BUBBLES!!!

Took the words right out of my mouth... err... keyboard. ('cept the bubbles part.)

factotum
2007-07-17, 01:13 AM
I wouldn't say he has HIGH intelligence. Back when he was human I'd say he was strictly average, although becoming a lich gives you an Int boost, I believe, so he's a bit brighter now. Still, as the man himself says, "Don't confuse not knowing with not caring"...

BRC
2007-07-17, 01:16 AM
He definetally seems like he more dosn't care, he's confident that redcloak will handle the boring stuff while he goes and has fun killing paladins and playing with the teevo.

SteveMB
2007-07-17, 05:33 AM
:xykon: isn't stupid -- he's lazy. He can think; he just usually doesn't bother to do so for any length of time unless he latches on to an entertaining idea.

squidthingy
2007-07-17, 09:39 AM
On a related note I think that :mitd: is not stupid or childish he is just INCREADIBLY sarcastic, all the time.

Like when he fights miko (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0374.html), re-read the comic and this time think of everything that MitD says as being said in a sarcastic voice

Kurald Galain
2007-07-17, 10:06 AM

My bubbles! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_tang)

Capt'n Ironbrow
2007-07-17, 10:10 AM
But ehm... his brain... that would have been decayed/decomposed entirely because he is dead and he admits to having no internal organs... so maybe he appears stupid at times because he does not actually have a brain :smalltongue:

Arbitrarity
2007-07-17, 10:12 AM
On a related note I think that :mitd: is not stupid or childish he is just INCREADIBLY sarcastic, all the time.

Like when he fights miko (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0374.html), re-read the comic and this time think of everything that MitD says as being said in a sarcastic voice

I can't do it. The eyes are too cte for him to be being so cutting.

Furthermore, he can't have said it in a sarcastic voice, or Miko would react differently.

Finn Solomon
2007-07-17, 10:19 AM

Furthermore, he can't have said it in a sarcastic voice, or Miko would react differently.

True, but we do know that Miko is (was?) completely impervious to sarcasm, among other things.

Evil DM Mark3
2007-07-17, 10:51 AM
:xykon:is a clever but also an idiot (as in does stupid/shortsighted things)
:mitd:is as dumb and childish as we have been lead to beleave (as he behaves like that even when alone)
:miko:is dead and thank god
:roach:rock whenever they turn up.

squidthingy
2007-07-17, 10:57 AM

Mabye MitD didn't say it in a sarcastic voice, but it still could of been being sarcastic, the voice was just to help you to understand

Ithekro
2007-07-17, 11:42 AM
Actaully just before that it almost sounds like the MitD is hitting on Miko.

:mitd: "Hi. What's your name?"

squidthingy
2007-07-17, 11:59 AM
Okay mabye I phrased what I said wrong, take the lines that make him sound stupid or childish and turn them sarcastic, for that comic the only one would be the first and the last line

SteveMB
2007-07-17, 12:45 PM

Well, duh; that's how she got blasted through the wall.... :smallwink:

Baalzebub
2007-07-17, 02:26 PM
I agree. He is not stupid or anything, he simply does not care about anything below his level of power, which happens to be almost everything.

chibibar
2007-07-17, 03:34 PM
Well.. Xykon is almost immortal. His intelligence got boosted by being a Lich. He is VERY powerful (if just using the web comic references) SoD does shed some light on the matter.

Xykon is also single minded most of the time. He sees a goal and just go for that, because he doesn't want to be bother by details. He is powerful enough just to blast things and if it fails and kill him. He will just regenerate and start over.

Emperor Ing
2007-07-17, 03:39 PM
Xykon is not stupid! Hes just awesome, and pure win! :smallbiggrin:. Hes too badass to pay attention!

Yeril
2007-07-17, 05:10 PM
hes not stupid, Lich's get +2 Int!

Twilight Jack
2007-07-17, 06:01 PM

:mitd: "Hi. What's your name?"

:mitd: "How you doin'?"

Spiky
2007-07-17, 07:31 PM
I'm confused. This is not the first thread to put forth this discussion. So, is someone actually saying Xykon is stupid? There seem to be several threads denying this, but denying whom?

As the posts invariably show in these threads, nobody seems to think he is stupid.

CasESenSITItiVE
2007-07-17, 08:27 PM
i think his lack of organization comes from a chaotic alignment, not a bad int score

CasESenSITItiVE
2007-07-17, 08:29 PM
:mitd: "How you doin'?"

BTW, AWSOME!!!

Inigo Montoya
2007-07-17, 09:13 PM
I'm confused. This is not the first thread to put forth this discussion. So, is someone actually saying Xykon is stupid? There seem to be several threads denying this, but denying whom?

As the posts invariably show in these threads, nobody seems to think he is stupid.

I apologize, I did not know that there had been other theads like this. It just seems like the Giant works his hardest to convince everyone that Xykon is stupid. Apparently nobody's fooled.

SteveMB
2007-07-17, 09:16 PM
I apologize, I did not know that there had been other theads like this. It just seems like the Giant works his hardest to convince everyone that Xykon is stupid. Apparently nobody's fooled.

No, I think the Giant does a good job of characterizing Xykon as mentally lazy, not stupid (not especially smart, to be sure, but not stupid), and getting away with it most of the time on raw power. :smallsmile:

dragoncmd
2007-07-18, 12:20 AM
Is xykon a wizard or soceror? Wizard would obviously require 19 intelligence for 9th level spells, soceror wouldn't matter cause its cha based. I think we can agree that is wisdom is sub par. Oots 106 suggest a moderate to high Cha based on his reverse psychology check, which I assume would be bluff. Also, ignore my inability to spel soceror, cause I'm too lazy to look it up.

factotum
2007-07-18, 01:24 AM
Xykon is a sorcerer--they've only said that a few dozen times during the course of the online comic, so I can quite see how you'd have missed it... :smallamused:

Garrett_Freebor
2007-07-18, 02:42 AM
:xykon: is not stupid and I don't know how that came up.He never once showed signs of stupidity.He always plans his moves and when he doesn't, he always plans his escape.I really don't know why there is a topic discussing the matter.If there is one NPC that isn't stupid, it's :xykon:.

Lord_Butters_I
2007-07-18, 09:29 PM
Read SoD. You will never underestimate Xykon's intellegence (or his capasity for sickening evil) ever again. As someone said: :xykon:"Don't confuse not caring with not knowing."

silent_watcher
2007-07-18, 10:02 PM
Xykon isn't stupid. Neither is he lazy. Nor is he inattentive or unaware. Xykon gave us a brief insight into his mind in Start of Darkness, when he said, "Just cuz I don't care, doesn't mean I don't know" (or something like that). And that pretty much sums up Xykon. He knows what's going on around him, he just doesn't care. He knows strategy is important, but if Redcloak can do all the planning while he goes off to play hopscotch, then that's just jim-dandy. Because hopscotch is a lot more fun than strategy. Because he doesn't care enough to get serious enough to get involved enough. And he's always got this confidence that no matter what, he'll win in the end. And if he doesn't, then crap, but we had a good run.

In a way, Xykon is quite the optimist. He's always kind of upbeat. He's always sure that he'll end up the victor, even if he doesn't prepare for it. And if he loses, ah, whatever, he did his best. He's a happy-go-lucky guy. He lives life to the fullest - skips out on boring business meetings to play twister, throws a ball into a room full of paladins just to mess with them. Gives a job interview in the middle of an epic battle. Because he simply doesn't care. Empathy, fear, anxiety -- emotions like that don't affect him, because he doesn't care. But he is aware of them. And he is intelligent. He just doesn't care to show it.

Lord_Butters_I
2007-07-18, 11:02 PM
Dirrect :xykon: quote from Start of Darkness (his battle with Dorukan)

...planning doesn't matter. Strategy doesn't matter. Only two things matter: Force in as great a concentration as you can manage, and syle. And in a pinch, style can slide. In any battle there's always a level of force against which not tactics can succeed."
Combine that with his quote
Don't confuse not caring with not knowing
And you have a pretty good picture of Xykon's mental and stratigic attitude.

Inigo Montoya
2007-07-18, 11:18 PM
Xykon isn't stupid. Neither is he lazy. Nor is he inattentive or unaware. Xykon gave us a brief insight into his mind in Start of Darkness, when he said, "Just cuz I don't care, doesn't mean I don't know" (or something like that). And that pretty much sums up Xykon. He knows what's going on around him, he just doesn't care. He knows strategy is important, but if Redcloak can do all the planning while he goes off to play hopscotch, then that's just jim-dandy. Because hopscotch is a lot more fun than strategy. Because he doesn't care enough to get serious enough to get involved enough. And he's always got this confidence that no matter what, he'll win in the end. And if he doesn't, then crap, but we had a good run.

In a way, Xykon is quite the optimist. He's always kind of upbeat. He's always sure that he'll end up the victor, even if he doesn't prepare for it. And if he loses, ah, whatever, he did his best. He's a happy-go-lucky guy. He lives life to the fullest - skips out on boring business meetings to play twister, throws a ball into a room full of paladins just to mess with them. Gives a job interview in the middle of an epic battle. Because he simply doesn't care. Empathy, fear, anxiety -- emotions like that don't affect him, because he doesn't care. But he is aware of them. And he is intelligent. He just doesn't care to show it.

Silent Watcher, that is the most unique way of looking at Xykon have I have ever seen. I'd give you a cookie, but I don't have one.