PDA

View Full Version : Optimization TWF need help

Erfar
2016-12-20, 06:00 AM
In my playgroup I and DM create custom shapeshifter like "werewolf" or graided Shifter
Abiliti score: +1 STR, +2 CON
Darkvision: 60
Speed: 35
Perseption skill trained
Shapeshift: Lose speak ability, Gain Claws and Fangs.
• Claws - each hand can be used either 1d8 Finesse or 1d6 Finesse, light weapon
• Fangs - U may bite u opponent, use action to STR melee-attack 1d6, if you hit opponent your size or smaller grapped

Primal rage: 1 per stort rest for 1 minute u may gain Level+CON thp and one of abbilities (choised during char.creation)
• +1 AC
• Dash as bonus action
• Climbing speed
• Wis adventage

I wanna create some kind of TWF but doen't know which better Ranger, Rogue or Fighter? Barbarian already exist. Level 1.

Specter
2016-12-20, 06:58 AM
D8 for damage and grappling with the bite is overpowered. That said, go Rogue if your DM allows to sneak with a claw.

Socratov
2016-12-20, 07:14 AM
In my playgroup I and DM create custom shapeshifter like "werewolf" or graided Shifter
Abiliti score: +1 STR, +2 CON
Darkvision: 60
Speed: 35
Perseption skill trained
Shapeshift: Lose speak ability, Gain Claws and Fangs.
• Claws - each hand can be used either 1d8 Finesse or 1d6 Finesse, light weapon
• Fangs - U may bite u opponent, use action to STR melee-attack 1d6, if you hit opponent your size or smaller grapped

Primal rage: 1 per stort rest for 1 minute u may gain Level+CON thp and one of abbilities (choised during char.creation)
• +1 AC
• Dash as bonus action
• Climbing speed
• Wis adventage

I wanna create some kind of TWF but doen't know which better Ranger, Rogue or Fighter? Barbarian already exist. Level 1.

Well, what you want is the TWF style and on-hit damage. The first is done well by 1 lvl of fighter, the second is done well by barbarian.

So I'd say your progression becomes barbarian 1/fighter 1/barbarian 18. pump your DEX and CON for AC, get the dual wielder feat asap (to get the 1d8 claws used isntead of the 1d6 light ones). Now you have 3 attacks to try and get brutal critical, but wait, if you activate reckless attacks (and with boosted dex and con and the dual wielder feat for that juicy +1 to ac, who wouldn't) you have 6 chances to crit. On each attack you get your rage damage (which is like an extra d6, but sadly static) and due to fighter you get your ability score on your offhand as well! so 3 attacks of 1d8+rage+DEX with a decent crit chance.

This lands the following numbers at lvl 11 vs. AC 18 (Not unreasonable conditions, mind you):

Let's assume barb 1/fighter 1/barb 9 with dex 18 (ASI on 8th), Con 16 (PB 14+2 racial) and Dual Wield (4th ASI)

To hit: +8 for 1d8+7

A hit will deal on average 11.5, a crit (with brutal critical) 20.5 dmg

Average dmg vs. target:

the barbarian hits on a 10, but with advantage from Reckless attacks (which you want to do) the barbarian hits (non-crit) 48% of the time. he crits 9.75% of the time: this makes his expected damage:

3 * (0.795*11.5+0.0975*20.5) = 33.4 dmg/turn

But what about defence? Well, obviously one of the best things to do is become a bear totem 'Bearbarian' (frenzy is bad as it's greatest feature is not usable to you): you have AC 18, and resist anything but psychic, but wait, there is more: Every short or long rest you can take a seconde wind: healing you for 1d10+1 (average of 6.5), Which happens to be the average of your hitdie. And those hitpoints count for double (except against psychic) as any incoming damage is reduced by 50%. So whitle you will be hit more often, you don't have shabby AC and you can take a punch.

As for coolness, you are a shifter, but do you need to keep to one creature? In the case of 'no' I'd say that when you use relevant abilities that you roleplay that as your totems reflecting in your shifter form: you might be a basic wolf or dire wolf shifter, but when taking damage you might ripple a bit and start resembling a bear. As you pick up more aspects or totem animals their influence will be shown into your shifter form (An Elk will give you some antlers on your head, the eagle totem will make your muzzle sharper into a beak and the tiger will create a slight striping into your fur).

Erfar
2016-12-20, 07:15 AM
D8 for damage and grappling with the bite is overpowered. That said, go Rogue if your DM allows to sneak with a claw.

Bite spend action and i doen't sure DM allow me use second weapon attack for it. And claws like rapier and/or short sword =)

Socratov
2016-12-20, 07:22 AM
Bite spend action and i doen't sure DM allow me use second weapon attack for it. And claws like rapier and/or short sword =)

By the way, if my thesis above hasn't sold you to becoming barbarian (with a dip of fighter), well, barbs are also way better at grappling then any other class due to rage giving advantage on STR(Athletics) (which is used for grappling as a check)

Erfar
2016-12-20, 07:30 AM
@Socratov
Yes firstly i wanna build the Barbarian-"werewolf" but our party already have barbarian-bugbeer. And I'm doen't like "same" charactrs in party, this why now I think about Ranger-Fighter Fighter-Rogue or Ranger-Rogue. Something like "commandos".
And what u think about nex array Str 15+1 Dex 14 Con 14+2 Int 8 Wis 12 Cha 8?

TY anyway =) u give good and intresting answer on optimisation "Best way"

Socratov
2016-12-20, 08:02 AM
@Socratov
Yes firstly i wanna build the Barbarian-"werewolf" but our party already have barbarian-bugbeer. And I'm doen't like "same" charactrs in party, this why now I think about Ranger-Fighter Fighter-Rogue or Ranger-Rogue. Something like "commandos".
And what u think about nex array Str 15+1 Dex 14 Con 14+2 Int 8 Wis 12 Cha 8?

Well, for combat opne would optimise in either of 2 directions:

either you go full STR and get heavy armour, or you go full Dex and get light armour (or a way to get Mage Armour). As for dual wield: well that's best done by the barbarian due to its rage damage (which is flat to-hit damage). And while you would be another barbarian, will he also play the dual wielder, or will he go for a more optimised (damage wise) build of 2-hander+GWM. I can certainly understand the resistance against using the same classes, but it;s like making dishes with potatoes: if one uses fries and the other uses mashed potatoes you will end up with wildly different dishes, even if you use the same ingredient.

Otherwise you could look at maybe barbarian 2/paladin X: you go critfishing, and once you do, you smite. You could fluff it as growing into your racial features, running rampant and losing your cool, but later trying to curb the murderous fury and to channel it into a more focused direction. You could be a defender of the wild or maybe a champion of Obad Hai himself as his instrument into restoring the natural balance. The Reckless attacks will give you 6 dice (in the end) to fish for crits with, resulting in:

(same assumptions: lvl 11, dex to 18, dual wielder feat, paladin style ask for twf style)

To hit: +8 for 1d8+6

A hit will deal on average 10.5, a crit (with 1st lvl smite for +2d8 resulting in 6d8+6) 33 dmg

Average dmg vs. target:

the barbadin hits on a 10, but with advantage from Reckless attacks (which you want to do) the barbadin hits (non-crit) 79.5% of the time. he crits 9.75% of the time (saving his smies for those occasions): this makes his expected damage:

3 * (0.795*10.5+0.0975*33) = 34.9 dmg/turn

This is a conservative estimate: if you are willing to go all in and spend your 3rd lvl spells on smites (for 10d8+6 crits):

3 * (0.795*10.5+0.0975*51) = 40 dmg/turn

now the caveat here is that paladins don't get the TWF style. Which, if you ask me, is ridicilous. If your DM is willing to give you what you said in the first post, then ask wether or not this is possible.