PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A 3.5e throwing weapons and a range siege weapons with good crit and dex for DMG

BloodSnake'sCha
2016-12-20, 07:41 AM
I am now using daggers because the srd told me that they have dex to dmg but I want to find a better trowing weapon to use. I don't care for the weapon dmg because I am small and my dex is in the sky for now.

I also want to find a nice siege range weapon that will be useable by a small PC and that will have the ability to use siege salts.

I can use all 3.5e books.

btw, the siege weapon can have only dex to attack.

tnx for the help in advance.

* I know that I can use a feat to use dex for dmg in range but I need those feats.

Zombimode
2016-12-20, 08:32 AM
I am now using daggers because the srd told me that they have dex to dmg but I want to find a better trowing weapon to use. I don't care for the weapon dmg because I am small and my dex is in the sky for now.

Read again. No weapon gets Dex to damage in 3.5 without Special abilities.

Away from books, but I don't think Siege Weapons are treated as normal ranged weapons.

Look in Heroes of Battle for complete rules on siege weapons.

BloodSnake'sCha
2016-12-20, 08:44 AM
Read again. No weapon gets Dex to damage in 3.5 without Special abilities.

Away from books, but I don't think Siege Weapons are treated as normal ranged weapons.

Look in Heroes of Battle for complete rules on siege weapons.

Thrown Weapons
Daggers, clubs, shortspears, spears, darts, javelins, throwing axes, light hammers, tridents, shuriken, and nets are thrown weapons. The wielder applies his or her Strength modifier to damage dealt by thrown weapons (except for splash weapons). It is possible to throw a weapon that isn’t designed to be thrown (that is, a melee weapon that doesn’t have a numeric entry in the Range Increment column on Table: Weapons), but a character who does so takes a -4 penalty on the attack roll. Throwing a light or one-handed weapon is a standard action, while throwing a two-handed weapon is a full-round action. Regardless of the type of weapon, such an attack scores a threat only on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage on a critical hit. Such a weapon has a range increment of 10 feet.

my mistake I was reading splash as slashing

and thanks for the book name

so what can I use for dex to dmg?

Darrin
2016-12-20, 09:11 AM
I am now using daggers because the srd told me that they have dex to dmg but I want to find a better trowing weapon to use.

Which SRD are you using? Because the 3.5 SRD says no such thing. You get your Dex bonus on ranged attacks, but getting your Dex bonus on damage is going to involve a feat or class feature of some sort. Off the top of my head:

Crossbow Sniper feat (PHBII), add 1/2 your Dex bonus on damage rolls when using a crossbow you have the Weapon Focus for.

Shadow Blade feat (Tome of Battle), but only works for Shadow Hand weapons (including daggers) when you are in a Shadow Hand stance.

Deadeye feat (Dragon Compendium), but only with ranged weapons that you have the Weapon Focus feat, and only within 30'.

Hit-and-Run Fighter ACF (Drow of the Underdark) but only against flat-footed targets within 30'.

I don't care for the weapon dmg because I am small and my dex is in the sky for now.

If you're looking for better range, I'm partial to javelins, but you need the Quickdraw feat to be able to draw them as a free action. Shuriken can be drawn as if they were ammunition (free action), but it's somewhat likely you'll need to take Exotic Weapon Proficiency to use them properly.

I also want to find a nice siege range weapon that will be useable by a small PC and that will have the ability to use siege salts.

I can use all 3.5e books.

Siege salts? I've never heard of this in any 3.5 book. The only thing that comes to mind is the drow 'sand pipe' in Secrets of Xen'drik. However, using it doesn't involve an attack roll, and I don't think you'd get any Dexterity damage on there either.

A small character wielding siege weapons... I'm not sure if this is doable, but if it could be done, the result would not really be a character that is playable from a practical standpoint or that any sane DM would allow anywhere near his/her table.

I'm not sure if what you mean by siege engine is the same thing I have in mind: catapult, trebuchet, ballista?

Hmm... well, Stoneblessed + Mountain Rage + Hulking Hurler could probably throw one of those as an improvised projectile...

Inevitability
2016-12-20, 09:31 AM
so what can I use for dex to dmg?

The Shadow Blade feat is commonly used for that purpose. It requires a shadow hand stance, but even if you can't spare any levels this prerequisite can be met with feats.

BloodSnake'sCha
2016-12-20, 10:16 AM
Which SRD are you using? Because the 3.5 SRD says no such thing. You get your Dex bonus on ranged attacks, but getting your Dex bonus on damage is going to involve a feat or class feature of some sort. Off the top of my head:

Crossbow Sniper feat (PHBII), add 1/2 your Dex bonus on damage rolls when using a crossbow you have the Weapon Focus for.

Shadow Blade feat (Tome of Battle), but only works for Shadow Hand weapons (including daggers) when you are in a Shadow Hand stance.

Deadeye feat (Dragon Compendium), but only with ranged weapons that you have the Weapon Focus feat, and only within 30'.

Hit-and-Run Fighter ACF (Drow of the Underdark) but only against flat-footed targets within 30'.

If you're looking for better range, I'm partial to javelins, but you need the Quickdraw feat to be able to draw them as a free action. Shuriken can be drawn as if they were ammunition (free action), but it's somewhat likely you'll need to take Exotic Weapon Proficiency to use them properly.

Siege salts? I've never heard of this in any 3.5 book. The only thing that comes to mind is the drow 'sand pipe' in Secrets of Xen'drik. However, using it doesn't involve an attack roll, and I don't think you'd get any Dexterity damage on there either.

A small character wielding siege weapons... I'm not sure if this is doable, but if it could be done, the result would not really be a character that is playable from a practical standpoint or that any sane DM would allow anywhere near his/her table.

I'm not sure if what you mean by siege engine is the same thing I have in mind: catapult, trebuchet, ballista?

Hmm... well, Stoneblessed + Mountain Rage + Hulking Hurler could probably throw one of those as an improvised projectile...
I am a rouge/ninga/master trower so I have a weapon focus and there is a lv1 ranger spell that can make any range limit to be the max weapon range so I was planning to take the deadeye. if you look one up you will see my mistake with the dmg to dex.
I dont want my weapons to be destroy in the middle of using them, I want them to have better crit then daggers and I want them not to be ammo.
I was thinking on catapults and ballistas(I never found the stats for them) but not as an improvised weapons. I wanted to get a sizing one and make it bigger in order to do some stuff my PC want to do(to destroy a city that made a plant die, she is wird)
and siege salts are in some book about alchemy, I am in my base so I can't get to the books :'(

The Shadow Blade feat is commonly used for that purpose. It requires a shadow hand stance, but even if you can't spare any levels this prerequisite can be met with feats.
no thanks, this will take to much from my PC.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-12-20, 10:40 AM
Desert throwing knives (Sandstorm) are pretty good, at 1d6/19-20/x2 with a 15' range increment. There's also annulat (Planar Handbook), which have an even better range.

Inevitability
2016-12-20, 10:54 AM
Crossbow Sniper technically works which ballistas (which are just Huge crossbows, after all), but it only lets you add half your dexterity mod.

no thanks, this will take to much from my PC.

One level in swordsage is 'too much'? It's generally seen as a pretty good class to dip.

Darrin
2016-12-20, 10:57 AM
I was thinking on catapults and ballistas(I never found the stats for them) but not as an improvised weapons. I wanted to get a sizing one and make it bigger in order to do some stuff my PC want to do(to destroy a city that made a plant die, she is wird)

Stats for catapults and ballistae can be found in the DMG and in Heroes of Battle. And it's interesting that you mention Sizing, because there's this curious sentence in the DMG:

"A ballista is essentially a Huge heavy crossbow fixed in place."

This means Crossbow Sniper may be an option for adding 1/2 Dex bonus as damage. Dead Eye would work as well, at least within 30'. But I would not be so quick to discount throwing them... technically, Weapon Focus: Ballista/Heavy Crossbow would probably still count if you threw them as an improvised weapon.

BloodSnake'sCha
2016-12-20, 11:31 AM
Desert throwing knives (Sandstorm) are pretty good, at 1d6/19-20/x2 with a 15' range increment. There's also annulat (Planar Handbook), which have an even better range.
tnx but I was looking for better crit range.

Crossbow Sniper technically works which ballistas (which are just Huge crossbows, after all), but it only lets you add half your dexterity mod.

One level in swordsage is 'too much'? It's generally seen as a pretty good class to dip.

yes, I will lose xp and the party already have more levels then my.

Stats for catapults and ballistae can be found in the DMG and in Heroes of Battle. And it's interesting that you mention Sizing, because there's this curious sentence in the DMG:

"A ballista is essentially a Huge heavy crossbow fixed in place."

This means Crossbow Sniper may be an option for adding 1/2 Dex bonus as damage. Dead Eye would work as well, at least within 30'. But I would not be so quick to discount throwing them... technically, Weapon Focus: Ballista/Heavy Crossbow would probably still count if you threw them as an improvised weapon.

stop making me laugh!
this is trowing weapons and siege, not trowing siege wepons.

I want to go with a super small sizing ballistas/any other siege weapon and make it small because I want to shot the guy next to my to the wall+ using some siege salts.

Inevitability
2016-12-20, 11:45 AM
yes, I will lose xp and the party already have more levels then my.

Your DM uses multiclass penalties? Ew.

Well, then maybe get two (slotless) items of continuous Heroics to fulfill the Martial Study and Martial Stance prerequisites? It's pricy, but Shadow Blade is up for grabs afterwards.

John Longarrow
2016-12-20, 11:53 AM
I want to go with a super small sizing ballistas/any other siege weapon and make it small because I want to shot the guy next to my to the wall+ using some siege salts.

What are "siege salts"? What book are they from?

BloodSnake'sCha
2016-12-20, 12:06 PM
Your DM uses multiclass penalties? Ew.

Well, then maybe get two (slotless) items of continuous Heroics to fulfill the Martial Study and Martial Stance prerequisites? It's pricy, but Shadow Blade is up for grabs afterwards.
maybe, I do have an extra 100,000gp now.

What are "siege salts"? What book are they from?

I am in my base, I cant go to my books :(
there are in a book about alchemy or a book about arcna, I can't remember.

thay have some cool affects and a alchemical wepons that you can craft and do some nice DMG to walls and big area.

I am soory but I can't access my books and I will come back into the game so I will not have time to do it myself.

John Longarrow
2016-12-20, 12:16 PM
Any chance you are thinking the term "Siege shot" for siege weapon ammo from Hero's of Battle? This is ammo that hits then delivers a payload such as alchemical fire or acid?

BloodSnake'sCha
2016-12-20, 12:37 PM
Any chance you are thinking the term "Siege shot" for siege weapon ammo from Hero's of Battle? This is ammo that hits then delivers a payload such as alchemical fire or acid?

no :(

I think will ask my DM for some time before we start, he will give me time and help of I will need it but it will delay the game but I don't want to do it :(

btw, I think I need to look at Hero's of Battle.

gorfnab
2016-12-20, 08:51 PM
There is one way I know of for a small character to essentially wield a siege weapon (basically a mini ballista). You need to be proficient in Hand Crossbow and Great Crossbow (RoS) through class features or feats. Then you need the feat Hand Crossbow Focus (DoTU). For items you need a +1 Aptitude (ToB) Great Crossbow (RoS) and Strongarm Bracers (MIC).

BloodSnake'sCha
2016-12-21, 02:14 AM
There is one way I know of for a small character to essentially wield a siege weapon (basically a mini ballista). You need to be proficient in Hand Crossbow and Great Crossbow (RoS) through class features or feats. Then you need the feat Hand Crossbow Focus (DoTU). For items you need a +1 Aptitude (ToB) Great Crossbow (RoS) and Strongarm Bracers (MIC).

isn't there small variant for siege weapons?
you know, not a small size siege weapon but one useable by a small character.