PDA

View Full Version : GenKhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan 2007

Amotis
2007-07-16, 11:52 PM
So Phoe and I are set to go this year. It's wonderful, cuddly, and awesome all mixed into one supercharged package. Plus GenCon is cool too. :smallamused:

So who's going and does anyone want to meet for a coffee or something? Our schedule is pretty busy but We can spare some time for the cool-y-ites from GitP.

I'm also a GenCon virgin so any points or cool insider hints would be nice too.

Trog
2007-07-16, 11:55 PM
I'm also a GenCon virgin so any points or cool insider hints would be nice too.
Deoderant. Something to put under your nose so you don't notice others' lack thereof. Or notice Trog for that matter.

Thes and I are going! Gonna be there Thurs. - Sun.

Coffee would be awesome. :smallbiggrin:

@V It's short for "Generally unbathed" :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2007-07-17, 12:02 AM
:smallsigh: No fair. Wait, what does the "Gen" stand for, anyway?
And be sure to send lots of pictures of cuddlings ^_^

PhoeKun
2007-07-17, 12:04 AM
And be sure to send lots of pictures of cuddlings ^_^

I'll bring my camera. :smallbiggrin:

Indurain
2007-07-17, 01:29 AM
GenCon is going to get rated R (or even NC-17) as everyone's favourite (read only) naked emperor will be showing up.

Also my girlfriend, and if rumours prove to be true, there's a chance I'll be bringing an undead music legend.

Khantalas
2007-07-17, 05:28 AM
I was mentioned?

Well, I'm not coming. I can't even attend the conventions in Turkey. But yes, pictures of cuddling are always nice.

Ranis
2007-07-17, 07:29 AM
I'll be going for all four days, and organizing some sort of GITP get-together for pictures and nonsense.

KoDT69
2007-07-17, 04:57 PM
I am going to try to go this year but it's not looking good yet. I've never been there but have tried for 10 years :smallmad: If I can work it out I'm glad to help provide transportation if anyone is along (or at least close) the way :smallsmile: I'll be coming from Canton Ohio and going through Columbus...

FdL
2007-07-17, 05:25 PM
GenCon? Cool!

You guys have a great time and take a lot of pics. 'Cause you know...You said it yourself, Amotis...

And, well, you know that anything D&D related, or that shows one more pixel of Spore or Fable 2 should be documented and reported immediately.

I'm da Rogue!
2007-07-17, 05:28 PM
What's that Genk-thingy? I didn't understand a thing :smallconfused:
A festival?

Khantalas
2007-07-17, 05:33 PM
I am led to believe it's a convention. For geeks. I am also led to believe Gen stands for Geeks en' Nerds.

And thus, us being geeks, we tend to go there. There is a lot of cuddling and stuff.

Oh, we do geeky stuff like dressing up like superheroes and aliens and whatnot, too. But more cuddling.

PhoeKun
2007-07-17, 05:36 PM
A festival?

GenCon (http://www.gencon.com/). It has everything. Even that.

This has been a message from PhoeKun, erstwhile Voice of All Humanity.

SDF
2007-07-17, 05:40 PM
Maybe if I had a bit more money, but funds are tight :smallsigh: Maybe next decade.

Marsh-mellow
2007-07-17, 06:49 PM
Take lots of money and don't be afraid to buy anything. I missed out on one sweet battle axe last year and I'm still kicking myself for it. :smallyuk:

Ranis
2007-07-17, 07:15 PM
A festival?

It's....you're....she's......they.....

*faints*

Khantalas
2007-07-17, 07:18 PM
It's....you're....she's......they.....

*faints*

What? Some of us in developing countries never even heard of a convention.

No, we have no claims to true geekdom. If it helps at all.

Krade
2007-07-17, 07:49 PM
I'll be going:smallbiggrin:

I have two reasons to not want to wait for August:
1) I'm going to Gencon (and that can NEVER be a bad thing)
2) I will then be living in Indy, my birthplace, and a much cooler place than Florida

Last year we did the whole "road trip across the country thing" with me and 2 of my friends, it was a grand 'ol time except for the fact that I spent around $1000 on that trip without needing "place to sleep" expenses.

I felt bad though because I failed to get in contact (and hangout) with an old friend I haven't seen in... uh... 3 years now. But that doesn't matter now that I will be living there. I'm so happy:smallbiggrin:

FdL
2007-07-17, 08:17 PM
What? Some of us in developing countries never even heard of a convention.

No, we have no claims to true geekdom. If it helps at all.

That's so true. It's one of them "cultural gaps".

ZombieRockStar
2007-07-17, 09:07 PM
GenCon is going to get rated R (or even NC-17) as everyone's favourite (read only) naked emperor will be showing up.

Also my girlfriend, and if rumours prove to be true, there's a chance I'll be bringing an undead music legend.

Zombie Johnny Cash? Can I meet him? *fangirl squeal*

Of course, I had to come during CoupleCon 07...

*hides a burlap sack and a map of Ohio*

What? Oh, nothing...school project...we're, um, making a diorama of midwestern potato fields...

Alarra
2007-07-17, 10:17 PM
I shall be there.
And I believe I may have talked Zeb into coming too, although I don't think that's confirmed yet.

I was supposed to organize an 'official' meetup for Thursday night, for the boards. I.....haven't yet. But hey....if I can get an indication of how many people would be interested in coming to one that night, and what type of location they would like it to be at, I should still have time to do so.

So let me know, k folks?

PhoeKun
2007-07-17, 10:24 PM
An 'official' meet up would be pretty nice, I think. I'm pretty sure Amotis and I would show up to something like that. Of course, I have no idea where it would, should, or even could be held. GenCon and Indianapolis noob, and all... :smallredface:

Amotis
2007-07-18, 01:02 AM
Totally down for a meet.

Let's kick those UKGitP'ers buttz! :smallamused:

Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom.

Ego Slayer
2007-07-18, 01:04 AM
I want pictures. Lots of pictures. A hundred of them...

Indurain
2007-07-18, 01:09 AM
Totally down for a meet.

Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom.

Quoted for Awesome Truthiness.

Of course Indy is always up for some getting down! El J...where's a good place to get down?

Alarra
2007-07-18, 01:13 AM
Yeah...I asked El J to figure out a good place weeeeeeks ago.

*pokes someone else* Ranis? You live in the area, aye? Any suggestions?

Trog
2007-07-18, 01:16 AM
How about that huge cemetary? ZRS would feel right at home. Darn Canadians and their passions for sarcophogi :smalltongue:

Krade
2007-07-18, 01:17 AM
I've been meaning to ask the half dozen or so people I know in Indy to check out possible locations that would be good for many random internet strangers to meet up at. I think I might try to get that done tomorrow. I haven't talked to any of them in a while anyway...

Edit: Hmm... There is this place that (for some unknown reason) there is an ad for taped on the wall next to my computer.
Here is what the ad reads:
__________________________________________________ ___________
Corner Coffee
Serving you more than just coffee!

On the corner of 11th and Alabama st downtown

Serving breakfast bagels all day and fresh sandwiches, salads, and soups.

Bottomles cup of coffee for only $2

Free Internet (WiFi access)

Live music every Friday and Saturday night

Open Mic Poetry Night every Thursday

Visit our website at www.cornercoffeeindy.com or call 317-916-9805
__________________________________________________ _____________
A couple immediately forseeable problems with this:
1) The ad could be as old as 2 years, and thus not entirely accurate
2) We don't know how big the place is or if it will even be open when we want to go.

And I don't know if its just me or not, but the website doesn't come up. So that does not bode particularly well either. I guess I could always try the phone number tomorrow.

Castaras
2007-07-18, 10:15 AM

You lucky people and your gencons...:smallannoyed:

I wanna go to some kinda con sometime...Maybe Worldcon when it comes to our country again...

ZombieRockStar
2007-07-18, 11:31 AM
How about that huge cemetary? ZRS would feel right at home. Darn Canadians and their passions for sarcophogi :smalltongue:

Aw, dude. No. That place has been taken over by a load of loser hipster vamps. No fun at all unless that cute slayer is in town.

LCR
2007-07-18, 11:44 AM
Um, I'd suggest something in Broad Ripple. It's nice there and there are various bars, including a cool English pub (forgot the name, though).

Krade
2007-07-18, 01:22 PM
Ah yes... Broad Ripple. I have many a fond memory of Broad Ripple. I wonder if it's still a popular teen hangout like it was a decade ago when my brothers were teens and hung out there all the time...

Edit: Also, I urge everyone to review this simple instructional pamphlet (http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20070716)

LCR
2007-07-18, 03:05 PM
Teen hangout? Don't know, the last time I've been there it was more like a college-guys meet up.

Thes Hunter
2007-07-18, 03:07 PM
I think finding something near the convention center would be a good idea, since everyone is going to be near there anyway. And I am sure we can edge out other gamers. :smallbiggrin:

LCR
2007-07-18, 03:09 PM
Well, where is the convention? That Colts stadium near the State House or Conseco Field house? There are some nice bars near Monument Circle, but really, all those nice spots are in Broad Ripple ...

Amotis
2007-07-18, 03:21 PM
Not all of are 21 though...:smallfrown:

GenCon:

Indiana Convention Center
100 South Capitol Ave.
Indianapolis, Indiana 46225

LCR
2007-07-18, 03:32 PM
Um, no idea where that is, but I guess it's somewhere near the city centre. I'd suggest Monument Circle then.
I'm not twenty-one either, but I could get into most bars/restaurants, just not the bar area itself.

ZombieRockStar
2007-07-18, 03:45 PM
This is why GenCon should be in Canada: easier for me to go to, and we also have civilized drinking ages (not civilized hours, though. It'd have to be in Montreal...) :smallamused:

PhoeKun
2007-07-18, 03:52 PM
Yeah, but... it'd be in Canada. (:smalltongue: )

LCR
2007-07-18, 03:54 PM
Hey, Canada is cool. It's aboot time you get that!

Krade
2007-07-19, 12:32 AM
GenCon:

Indiana Convention Center
100 South Capitol Ave.
Indianapolis, Indiana 46225

Which happens to be attached to the Hoosier Dome (I know it hasn't been called that for over a decade, but I'll be damned if I ever call it something else).

Renegade Paladin
2007-07-19, 12:40 AM
Wait, what does the "Gen" stand for, anyway?
Geneva. The name is a play off of the Geneva Conventions and the fact that the con was originally held at Lake Geneva, Wisconsin.

Krade
2007-07-19, 01:14 AM
Geneva. The name is a play off of the Geneva Conventions and the fact that the con was originally held at Lake Geneva, Wisconsin.

Wow. That is either the totally awesome truth or THE best act of pulling an answer out if the seat of one's pants. EVER.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-07-19, 08:49 AM
I will be doing everythign in my power to make it, but the earliest I can be there is Friday. I am saddened that

A) the unofficial meet-up is Thursday and I'll be stuck at work from about 8:30 AM to 8:00 PM on Thursday

B) my arch nemesis Balthor won't make it. Now I have no reason to make a "The House of Sneak are nothing but a bunch of doll humpers" T-shirt.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Alarra
2007-07-19, 08:58 AM
Conceivably.....the 'official meetup' .... not being planned yet .... doesn't have to be on Thursday. I mean, we thought Thursday cause the earlier we all meet each other the more readily we'll be able to hang out the rest of the convention.....but if people would prefer Friday, that's cool too. And you know, it's not like we won't all be hanging out anyway. It's practically a 4 day meetup all things considered.

And um....nemesis or no....that shirt would be darned amusing.

Zeb The Troll
2007-07-19, 09:05 AM
It's official. I'll be coming too. Huzzah!

I'm totally for the "4 day meetup".

And I agree, that shirt would be damned funny. :smallcool:

Alarra
2007-07-19, 09:12 AM
Speaking of shirts and fun things to wear to the convention....

*glares in Trog's general direction*

Hey you! Where's my Trog's Tavern shirt? Didn't I order that months ago? :smallbiggrin:

KoDT69
2007-07-19, 10:38 AM
Where do I order that Sneak shirt? That would be so awesome to wear to a game night, the mall, or work (well maybe not work :smallbiggrin:)

Ranis
2007-07-19, 11:56 AM
Yes, I do live ridiculously close to downtown Indianapolis; if we're looking for a place to meet, I could suggest a couple of places. However, I had originally planned to just meet somewhere inside the convention center, I would provide a map with a nice little red X of where we were meeting and what time. But if we wanted to meet somewhere before the convention began, say the day before, I know a couple of places that we could meet that anyone can go to. Up to you guys, really.

EDIT: Krade, are we still up for the deal?

Amotis
2007-07-19, 02:38 PM
We should have a Special Club handshake or gang sign something when we see each other at the Con. That way people think we're part of some secret organization.

It doesn't have to be thursday and it can be like a bar/restaurant/volcano but just let Us know.

Jibar
2007-07-19, 02:57 PM
You lucky people and your gencons...:smallannoyed:

I wanna go to some kinda con sometime...Maybe Worldcon when it comes to our country again...

Cassie.
You'd be surronded by Americans and Canadians.
That's like English Hell.
Well, not so much the Canadians. You guys were cool. You stuck with us for longer. You asked if you could go get a place by yourself. We helped you with that.
You Americans though. We cooked for you, we cleaned for you, we attended all those silly recitals of yours, and what do you do? Pack your bags one day and go running off! "I hate you! I'm going somewhere where people will like me!"
And then you wiped out all those nice little natives! Honestly, they were being such nice roommates, and you just had to pick a fight. You were always like that. The number of times you and Ireland were wrestling...

*ahem*

Anyway, yes, Cassie, don't worry about it.

Krade
2007-07-19, 07:42 PM
Yes, I do live ridiculously close to downtown Indianapolis; if we're looking for a place to meet, I could suggest a couple of places. However, I had originally planned to just meet somewhere inside the convention center, I would provide a map with a nice little red X of where we were meeting and what time. But if we wanted to meet somewhere before the convention began, say the day before, I know a couple of places that we could meet that anyone can go to. Up to you guys, really.

EDIT: Krade, are we still up for the deal?

Ideed, mostly because I don't want to bother my brother for a ride since I'll already be there a week by that time and he'll likely be sick of me (half j/k here). Actually more than likely he won't be available all the times that I would need him.

And also, these places that you speak of, are they going to be oh-so-painfully crowded?

Ranis
2007-07-19, 09:02 PM
To be honest with you, I don't think there will be a place that isn't crowded the day before GenCon. Now, there's several places to go downtown, it's a pretty fruitful city. Do you want to meet somewhere to eat, or somewhere just to hang and chat?

Around a central area in downtown, there's a multitude of restraunts-oriental, typical American, or anything in-between. So if you guys tell me your dining preferences, and who all is doing the meet-up on the Wednesday before GenCon, then I can set things up and give specific directions for you all.

Just to keep a running list, I think it's as follows so far:

Amotis
PhoeKun
Krade
Alarra
Zeb The Troll
Ranis

Sorry if I forgot anybody, let me know and I'll add you to the list :smallwink:

ZombieRockStar
2007-07-19, 09:15 PM
That'd be the 15th, then?

Indy said we'd be coming down that day, so I have no idea when exactly we'd be arriving of if we'd (I'd) be able to come to dinner. Probably, maybe, possibly.

In any case, this here is a vegetarian zombie so I'd be no fun at any dinner anyways. :smallamused:

PhoeKun
2007-07-19, 09:17 PM
A vegetarian zombie? How... how does that work, exactly? Soy brains?

Ranis
2007-07-19, 09:17 PM
Well, there'll be something planned for during GenCon as well, this list is for the pre-GenCon meetup.

I'll make a separate thread for the during GenCon meetup.

Indurain
2007-07-19, 09:27 PM
Indy, Indy's GF, and ZRS are coming down on the 15th. Time? My guess would be somewhere between 7-9 PM.

ZombieRockStar
2007-07-19, 09:34 PM

Something like that. Or just shaped mashed potatoes in a pinch. :smallamused:

That's what I was thinking...it's about 9 hours, wasn't it last time? Or something like that. We'd be arriving pretty late unless we left early.

Amotis
2007-07-19, 09:34 PM
Well I come in on the 15th evening-ish as well. I would like to get settled and stuff though.

Flabbicus
2007-07-19, 09:36 PM

I take it you've never read True Magic (http://www.true-magic.com/comic/view.php?id=1)?

Indurain
2007-07-19, 09:43 PM
Something like that. Or just shaped mashed potatoes in a pinch. :smallamused:

That's what I was thinking...it's about 9 hours, wasn't it last time? Or something like that. We'd be arriving pretty late unless we left early.

8 Hrs. with no stops...so yeah...probably about 9 hours.

RBPRX1204
2007-07-19, 11:40 PM
Ceres47 and I shall be at GenCon again this year. I'll actually be in Indy starting on Tues, through Sunday. Alarra, what time were you thinking about having the get together. I have True Dungeon tickets that night, I believe at 10pm. I wish they'd start mailing those thingies out, as well as my badge. Argh! Anyway, if anyone is around on Tuesday, I'm free for coffee that night.
Here's the rest of my lineup:

Wednesday, have a D&D game at noon (halfling adventure), the Stink, and a dungeon crawl that evening. I can't believe I'm so booked.

Thursday, I got to get my missions for Guardian 6, then hit the dealers room early with my VIG pass. I have a True Dungeon 101 seminar that afternoon, and TD that night.

Friday, I got my Guardian 6 thing again, D&D for beginners at 11am (may skip), Erfworld seminar and Secrets of Eberron that afternoon. That night is the VIG dinner.

Saturday: Hickman's Killer Breakfast starts out the first "Family day" I'll have at GenCon. I use the term loosely, because I'll probably not see Ceres47 or the kids much, except when we are in the hotel together. Anyway, then Guardian 6, day 3. Then OOTS, the Shortening game and I believe 3 Dragon Ante after that. After some rest, I get to do True Dungeon puzzle that night at 10pm.

Sunday, got 2 seminars, and then convoy back to Kentucky.

Monday, sleep off all the exhaustion.

Tuesday, back to the grind.

And just so nobody forgets:

THIS IS GENCON!

Alarra
2007-07-19, 11:45 PM
Oh nice....
I've been meaning to get in on killer breakfast, as well as a 'real' run of TD. Maybe next year.

The thought was probably 7 or 8ish. Although really, I don't know when.

soozenw
2007-07-20, 12:54 AM
Why do you guys keep rubbing it in my face that I don't get to go? I will either have a newborn at that time or be anxiously trying to go into labor. *sniff* Darn baby deciding that it wanted to be born GenCon week.

Zeb The Troll
2007-07-20, 01:05 AM
Why do you guys keep rubbing it in my face that I don't get to go? I will either have a newborn at that time or be anxiously trying to go into labor. *sniff* Darn baby deciding that it wanted to be born GenCon week.Oh! What would be cooler than a gamer spawn hatched at GenCon! I'll get the hot water and the towels. :smallcool:

soozenw
2007-07-20, 01:15 AM
Oh! What would be cooler than a gamer spawn hatched at GenCon! I'll get the hot water and the towels. :smallcool:

lol. Actually my fiance wants that to happen. He thinks that Max would then the like the official gencon mascot or something. Personally, I don't want 30000 gamers staring at my coochie. *shudder* It's like a bad Simpsons episode with the comic book guy, Prof. Frink, and that kid with the acne and cracking voice... scary.

But no, I will be staying home this year, but will be there next year with little one in tow.

Zeb The Troll
2007-07-20, 01:25 AM
lol. Actually my fiance wants that to happen. He thinks that Max would then the like the official gencon mascot or something. Personally, I don't want 30000 gamers staring at my coochie. *shudder* It's like a bad Simpsons episode with the comic book guy, Prof. Frink, and that kid with the acne and cracking voice... scary.

But no, I will be staying home this year, but will be there next year with little one in tow.Eeep! Egads, no. I didn't mean it should be a spectator event or anything. Never been to one, but surely there's a medical area or something where they have trained professionals to deal with those attendees who succumb to heat injuries from walking around in a wookie suit for three days subsisting on nothing but cheese curls and Mt Dew, right?

Imagine this, if you will...

-scene: Saturday at the convention center, midafternoon-

soozenw: *grabs Mr. W by the arm* Honey, I think my water just broke. It's time.
Mr. W: *starts to panic appropriately and guides soozenw to the nurse's office, all the while practicing all the lamaze techniques he's learned in order to keep himself from passing out while soozenw holds it together*

-hours pass-

Medical Personnel: It's a girl! Happy and healthy. Congrats!
Mr. W: :biggrin: Her name shall be Gennifer Constance W.

-end scene-

That would make the papers, I'm telling you. :smallcool:

Amotis
2007-07-20, 01:28 AM
Or it would happen in the True Dungeon.

"Quick! We must defeat the dragon and reach the exit!"

*cue music*

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-07-20, 01:29 AM
or be anxiously trying to go into labor.

Well, no need to be anxious or anything, I have a few jobs that I could offer you. Wood chopping, fence building, or even a brick laying job.

As you can see getting into the labour industry is fairly easy.

Zeb The Troll
2007-07-20, 01:36 AM
Or it would happen in the True Dungeon.

"Quick! We must defeat the dragon and reach the exit!"

*cue music*Now THAT would be awesome.

*runs off to make plans to help conceive a child 40 weeks before a GenCon*

Alarra
2007-07-20, 01:42 AM
Now THAT would be awesome.

*runs off to make plans to help conceive a child 40 weeks before a GenCon*

*raises eyebrow*

Amotis
2007-07-20, 01:44 AM
*raises eyebrow*

*laughs off to the side*

Charity
2007-07-20, 02:32 AM
*Gets Zeb an oral foot extractor*
*Smirking*

soozenw
2007-07-20, 08:04 AM
Eeep! Egads, no. I didn't mean it should be a spectator event or anything. Never been to one, but surely there's a medical area or something where they have trained professionals to deal with those attendees who succumb to heat injuries from walking around in a wookie suit for three days subsisting on nothing but cheese curls and Mt Dew, right?

Imagine this, if you will...

-scene: Saturday at the convention center, midafternoon-

soozenw: *grabs Mr. W by the arm* Honey, I think my water just broke. It's time.
Mr. W: *starts to panic appropriately and guides soozenw to the nurse's office, all the while practicing all the lamaze techniques he's learned in order to keep himself from passing out while soozenw holds it together*

-hours pass-

Medical Personnel: It's a girl! Happy and healthy. Congrats!
Mr. W: :biggrin: Her name shall be Gennifer Constance W.

-end scene-

That would make the papers, I'm telling you. :smallcool:

lol. I could see that happening.

But we are having a boy. Surprisingly enough though, you aren't that far off with the middle name. We're naming him Maximilian Constantine. :smallbiggrin:

LCR
2007-07-20, 08:08 AM
lol. I could see that happening.

But we are having a boy. Surprisingly enough though, you aren't that far off with the middle name. We're naming him Maximilian Constantine. :smallbiggrin:

Sounds like a Roman Emperor ...

soozenw
2007-07-20, 09:29 AM
Sounds like a Roman Emperor ...

yup. We figure he will hate us for his name, but it's a good strong name. And it's the only name we've agreed on.

So, not to totally hijack this thread---what part of gencon is everyone looking forward to? Last year I went to minimum 3 seminars a day (writing ones) and wandered around people watching mostly. I'm gonna miss the people watching this year. I hope you guys take tons of pictures!

Midnight Son
2007-07-20, 12:32 PM

But no, I will be staying home this year, but will be there next year with little one in tow.Trust me, most of us would prefer to take a pass on the horror porn viewing.

soozenw
2007-07-20, 02:05 PM
lol@horror porn.

clarkvalentine
2007-07-20, 02:14 PM
FWIW, I'll be there running Dragonlance and Castlemourn D&D games.

Wait, what does the "Gen" stand for, anyway?

If this hasn't been answered already (edit: it had been, dangblast it), it stands for Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, where the first GenCon was held about 40 years ago.

Krade
2007-07-20, 05:05 PM
OK. I have an idea on where we could meet at least initially so we can figure out a better place, in person, so there can be no confusion. We could all meet at the Art's Garden. It would be easy to find (seriously, it's a giant glass dome suspended over an intersection) and is only a few blocks away from the convention center. From there it would be much easier to figure out a better place to have a more "official" meet-up.

Knytemayr
2007-07-20, 11:55 PM
:drools: GENCON.... Well, as much as I would love to go, I will just have to live vicariously through all of you who are going.
I have learned the hard way that traveling with 7 kids and multiple knives all in the same vehicle is not necessarily a wise descision. While the wife was fine with it, the cops asked me to leave the kids at home next time. Who'd a thunk it? :smallbiggrin:
So, take lots of pictures and video footage, drink lots of aclohol (as long as you are over 21), duct tape your clothing on, have fun and send me post cards. :smallcool:

FdL
2007-07-21, 12:24 AM
True Dungeon sounds awesome!
I'd totally assist just for that. Those who go and play TD please tell us how it was like, with pictures and all.

It would be so cool to be able to go there with you guys. But I'm too far away, in a completely different hemisphere.

So have fun for all of us who can't go, you hear me? :p
And take lots of pictures.

EvilJames
2007-07-21, 12:40 AM
Wow. That is either the totally awesome truth or THE best act of pulling an answer out if the seat of one's pants. EVER.

As a native Wisconsinite I can assure you that it is the God's honest truth (it was very sad for me to see Gencon leave Wisconsin) I will be in attendance with my girlfriend and a few other people

Krade
2007-07-21, 12:51 AM
Well, if you want high attendance, Wisconsin really isn''t the best place to hold a convention. Indiana, on the other hand, is closer to the population center of the country (and the more populous cities of Canada) and isn't quite as cold. And if you're in Indiana, pretty much all roads lead to Indianapolis.

Logic
2007-07-21, 01:16 AM
Looks like I will have to wait until GenCon 08. Every year, I figure out too late as to when it happens.

Next year, I am taking leave for sure.

See you at GenCon '08!

Krade
2007-07-21, 08:36 PM
Looks like I will have to wait until GenCon 08. Every year, I figure out too late as to when it happens.

Next year, I am taking leave for sure.

See you at GenCon '08!

Isn't it more or less the same time every year, only varying by a few days to keep it occurring on a Thursday-Sunday schedule?

If I had a calendar for next year handy I could probably give you the exact dates it will be.

Ranis
2007-07-22, 07:53 AM
Well, we can meet up later in the evening on Wednesday if that's what you'd all like to do; say, 10PM? If everyone's cool with that time?

(I feel like the chauffer here, being the only one who actually lives in Indy. xD)

Krade
2007-07-22, 12:51 PM
I know there are other people who live in Indy, they just haven't shown up to contribute yet.

So... no one wants to comment about my suggestion that we meet at the Art's Garden? I thought it was a pretty good idea since it would be so easy for everyone to find (though I don't know when it closes).

Amotis
2007-07-22, 04:05 PM
You sold me on suspended glass dome. I'd ask Phoe but she can read this anyway. :smalltongue:

Alarra's right when she said we'll run into each other all week. I'll drop her (and any others of that group) my cell phone number so we can still plan something if Art's Garden doesn't work or we don't have something planned yet.

PhoeKun
2007-07-23, 12:46 AM
Ooh, a suspended glass dome. How did I miss this?

I'm certainly on board!

Zeb The Troll
2007-07-23, 12:57 AM
Barring something crazy happening, the Arts Garden sounds like a decent plan, Krade. I'm in. I have strong suspicion Alarra will like the idea too.

Alarra
2007-07-23, 01:02 AM
Oh...heh....I never replied to that idea, did I? Yeah, that sounds a fine place to meet. And it's pretty too.

Krade
2007-07-23, 02:53 AM
Woooo! Good idea! All hail Idea, King of Idealand! Go Krade! Go Krade! I'm useful! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0400.html)

*ahem*

Sorry... couldn't resist...

RBPRX1204
2007-07-23, 12:27 PM
If my evening Dugeon-O-Death at the Ram ends in time, I'll be there too.

Argent
2007-07-23, 12:54 PM
Deoderant. Something to put under your nose so you don't notice others' lack thereof.

Hear freakin' hear. One of the main reasons I stopped going to GenCon (aside from the relocation to Indianapolis) was the stench and general nastiness of unwashed gamers at the con. People, I know how hard it is to really get your geek on, I really do. You want to get as much gaming fun in as possible while you're there. But please take ten minutes out of the fourteen-hundred-plus you have every day and take a quick shower to get the funk off.

ZombieRockStar
2007-07-23, 01:00 PM
Is it really that bad? :smallconfused: I thought it was just a stupid stereotype, for the most part. Any time you get a large number of people crammed together, you're going to get some smell. It's unavoidable. But the average person is relatively hygienic and the last con I went to had no stink (granted, it wasn't huge, but it was pretty big)...is it particularly bad at a gamer convention?

Ranis
2007-07-23, 01:39 PM
After last year's GenCon, they had to fumigate the whole convention center because the stench had saturated into the carpet. So yes, it does get that bad.

People that go to GenCon that come out of the woodworks aren't really very used to social interaction, or much else than the few people in their gaming groups. Basically-think of the worst, and it's in ready and able supply at GenCon.

ZombieRockStar
2007-07-23, 02:08 PM
:smalleek:

If it truly is that bad, remind me to get a terrible cold that week.

Also, *votes in favour of the glass dome thingy*

soozenw
2007-07-23, 02:13 PM
Last year I didn't think the smell was TOO bad. There were the occasional people that would walk by and be horribly stinky. And those French people that ran that one booth...you couldn't get within 20 feet of the booth without your eyes tearing up and gagging...

Of course, I stayed mostly in the outlying areas, in seminars...Maybe that makes a difference?!

Argent
2007-07-23, 03:28 PM
Is it really that bad? :smallconfused: I thought it was just a stupid stereotype, for the most part. Any time you get a large number of people crammed together, you're going to get some smell. It's unavoidable. But the average person is relatively hygienic and the last con I went to had no stink (granted, it wasn't huge, but it was pretty big)...is it particularly bad at a gamer convention?

Yeah, it can get that bad. Especially because you've got some gamers who aren't great on hygiene anyways; put 'em together in one place, hop 'em up on Mountain Dew and they don't shower or sleep more than a few hours a night for three days straight... yeah, the funk can get pretty profound.

Unfortunately, the 'stinky gamer' stereotype has some truth to it. I've known a few. They're not fun people to spend time around.

Krade
2007-07-23, 03:32 PM
Since it seems most people agree that the Arts Garden is a good place to meet at first, the next thing that needs to be determined is when we are going to meet up there. What we need first though, is reconaisance(sp?). I nominate Ranis (or anybody else that currently lives in the area) to find out when the doors lock.

Amotis
2007-07-23, 03:36 PM
Also, do they have a safe on the property and/or keep large quantities of cash? :smallamused:

Ranis
2007-07-23, 04:55 PM
Since it seems most people agree that the Arts Garden is a good place to meet at first, the next thing that needs to be determined is when we are going to meet up there. What we need first though, is reconaisance(sp?). I nominate Ranis (or anybody else that currently lives in the area) to find out when the doors lock.

On it, chief.

*hunts*

It closes at 9 on Wednesdays, so it may not be the best place to meet up. It's inside the Circle Center Mall, which also closes at 9 on weekdays, so once again, this may not be the best place if we're looking to meet up somewhere later in the evening.

Perhaps a restaurant?

Amotis
2007-07-23, 07:32 PM
That might be better, depending on when we meet.

Questions:

Phoe and I don't have tickets, planning to buy full ones at the door early on the first day (16th), does any one have any experiance with this? Will We have any problems?

Also:

What time does the Con start?

Alarra
2007-07-23, 07:41 PM
Actually, Zeb and I don't either now. You can buy passes at the door, it'll be a bit of a long line and mess on Thursday morning. It is open 5-9 wednesday, which is when I was planning on going.

And, I don't know exactly when it starts. Badge registration on Thurs. starts at 7. And there are certainly events as early as 8. As for when the exhibit hall opens...I believe that's 10am.

Krade
2007-07-23, 07:45 PM
On it, chief.

*hunts*

It closes at 9 on Wednesdays, so it may not be the best place to meet up. It's inside the Circle Center Mall, which also closes at 9 on weekdays, so once again, this may not be the best place if we're looking to meet up somewhere later in the evening.

Perhaps a restaurant?

Well... the idea of meeting there in the first place was more of a preliminary thing to start with. You know, so it would be easier to figure out where the "official" meetup would be since everyone's there in person. So long as we do it this way, it isn't so crucial that everyone be there, so long as we have a way of contacting who isn't there to tell them when and where the "official" meetup will be.

Zeb The Troll
2007-07-23, 07:47 PM
I'm also willing to share my cell phone number with those who are coming. I figure the more numbers we have going around, the more likely one of us will be reachable.

Amotis
2007-07-23, 09:51 PM
It is open 5-9 wednesday, which is when I was planning on going.

Awesome, thanks for that vital piece of info. I don't land until 5 but We still should be able to get them. Coolio.

PhoeKun
2007-07-23, 09:59 PM
I've never managed to get to a Con in time for the early registration... I forgot it even existed. That'll definitely be a time saver...

Amotis
2007-07-23, 10:01 PM
Really? I heard ComicCon had a lot of days booked so far and that worried me. But if We get there early and stuff it shouldn't be a problem. I remember on the GenCon site it said "Unlimited" capacity. Which is impossible but reassuring.

Alarra
2007-07-23, 10:17 PM
Well, it's never been sold out yet.

PhoeKun
2007-07-23, 10:23 PM
I doubt We'll even have trouble with event registration, to be honest. This is a gaming convention; almost everybody you will see has taken procrastination to a form of high art.

In fact, if I might make a prediction: look at the line on the second day. You will laugh when you see how long it is.

Amotis
2007-07-23, 10:28 PM
Hehe, okay okay, you guys have convinced me. :smalltongue: I won't worry about it; just wait for it.

Ranis
2007-07-24, 08:10 AM
I'm bringing Krade, and I'll tell you right now that we'll be in the convention center at 4AM to sit in the front of the line for the four day badges. There's no way I'm missing the opening of the exhibition hall because I'm stuck in line.

No way in the Nine Hells.

Ranis
2007-07-24, 09:50 AM
Just found out that they're doing something this year called the D&D Open, it's a tournament of some kind that takes place during GenCon and gives fabulous prizes. I think that we should definitely take part in this, I think there's six of us already:

Krade
Ranis
Amotis
PhoeKun
Alarra
Zeb

What do you guys think?
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=rpga/genconindy/20070618a

Indurain
2007-07-24, 10:02 AM
Just found out that they're doing something this year called the D&D Open, it's a tournament of some kind that takes place during GenCon and gives fabulous prizes. I think that we should definitely take part in this, I think there's six of us already:

Krade
Ranis
Amotis
PhoeKun
Alarra
Zeb

What do you guys think?

I'd love to join in the fun for something like this...are there spots still available?

Ranis
2007-07-24, 10:12 AM
'doh, I think that it's only six people in the event; I think Zeb had a full schedule anyway-we can probably work something out. I put those in the list because we were the first ones to say that we were going. =/

EvilJames
2007-07-24, 11:52 AM
Well, if you want high attendance, Wisconsin really isn''t the best place to hold a convention. Indiana, on the other hand, is closer to the population center of the country (and the more populous cities of Canada) and isn't quite as cold. And if you're in Indiana, pretty much all roads lead to Indianapolis.

Attendance has not changed much from the move from gaming birth place to Indiana, There is one thing that I like better about indiana and that's the parking situation, parking is VASTLY superior in Indianapolis than in Milwaukee. Other than that Wisconsin was a wonderful place for it over 30,000 people came to Milwaukee at each of the last two there.

Krade
2007-07-24, 01:50 PM

Krade
Ranis
Amotis
PhoeKun
Alarra
Zeb

What do you guys think?

That website says the six have already been chosen, and nothing about there being more than one party. So I don't think this will be a viable option.

Indurain
2007-07-24, 04:13 PM
That website says the six have already been chosen, and nothing about there being more than one party. So I don't think this will be a viable option.

From what I understand the "six" is just the pre-gens that are being used for the people who enter the Open. It wouldn't be much of a contest if it were just six people out of all of Gen-Con.

Ranis
2007-07-24, 09:14 PM
Yes, Indurain is correct. People on the Wizards site voted for the six pre-gen characters that would be used in the Open.

Also, it's going to be quite impossible for us to meet in the Arts Garden after 9PM-the mall closes after 9, and it's the only way into it. So, I think we may need an alternate course of action. :D

ZombieRockStar
2007-07-24, 09:19 PM
Then we shouldn't have any problems with getting together a second party, should we? I'd like to get in on this too, so that's two out of six already (three if Ashley wants to play, maybe).

I really don't care where we meet. I'm more interested in the meeting part.

Ranis
2007-07-24, 09:51 PM
Okay, I guess I'll just put down the Native Foot and find a place for us to meet that'll be easy to get to.

*hunts*

Krade
2007-07-25, 12:32 AM
"Native Foot"? That sounds like some manner of unpleasant tropical disease.

Anyway, I'm technically a native, I've just been away for the past 9 or 10 years, not counting the 3 times I've been up to visit since. I know it doesn't do me much good being a displaced native by nearly a decade, but I figured I'd just point that out.

Renegade Paladin
2007-07-25, 09:52 AM
As I recall, a friend of mine was in the D&D Open last year.

I'd be up for it. We can probably easily put together two parties.

Ranis
2007-07-25, 09:26 PM
My only beef with the Open is that it's RPGA, which means "Looky looky extra rules to limit the game so you can't break our pre-made modules like a 2x4 on a brick wall because our GMs are t3h crappeh!"

Sorry. Strong opinions and all. But in all seriousness, if we are anything shy of the twelve needed to make two parties, I have friends that will be coming. As long as you don't mind their overwhelming geekosity.

PhoeKun
2007-07-25, 09:42 PM
Well, the extra rules aren't that likely to come into play, given that the characters are all pre-generated. They're not core, though, which is actually a bit surprising to me.

As far as the Open itself is concerned, it sounds like something I'd be up for, but only if Amotis is on board. I'll have to ask him, or else hope he sees this and decided to chime in.

And then, there's the meeting: We're really counting on you natives to find a place; We have no idea what We're doing in Indianapolis...

Indurain
2007-07-25, 09:45 PM
Okay...let's do this...:smallsmile:

Who wants to play in the open? :smallamused:

(There...now I can be done with the smilies)

Amotis
2007-07-26, 01:32 AM
As far as the Open itself is concerned, it sounds like something I'd be up for, but only if Amotis is on board. I'll have to ask him, or else hope he sees this and decided to chime in.

YES!

...wait, what am I agreeing to again? :smalltongue:

It sounds cool...but also vague. I have no idea what this...Open is that you guys speak of. I assume 6 people play the 6 pregen'd characters in the "Scions of Elemental Evil" game? How long is it? Is it just a fun game or a contest to see which party gets the most far?

Alarra
2007-07-26, 02:16 AM
I seem to recall that we'd talked about entering this waaaaaaaay back in like...um...December or some such, and that it sounded fun. Very puzzle driven, if this is the one that El J was talking about way back then.

I'd be cool with trying to form a couple groups, assuming it's something we can still get in on at this point.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-07-26, 06:12 AM
Well, the extra rules aren't that likely to come into play, given that the characters are all pre-generated. They're not core, though, which is actually a bit surprising to me.

They aren't core because they want you to buy the extra books in order to test run the characters. I know this because my buddy bought a PHB 2 last year, so he could learn how to play a knight for the D&D open.

Ranis
2007-07-26, 09:03 AM
It sounds cool...but also vague. I have no idea what this...Open is that you guys speak of. I assume 6 people play the 6 pregen'd characters in the "Scions of Elemental Evil" game? How long is it? Is it just a fun game or a contest to see which party gets the most far?

I....think so? It's not core because it's supposed to "test the limits of your D&D knowledge," but I do know that Scions of Elemental Evil is supposed to be a large upgrade from the Temple of Elemental Evil. AKA: Really freaking hard. And there's a nice little $20,000 prize at the end for the team that wins. :D

Zeb The Troll
2007-07-26, 09:10 AM
It sounds fun, but if it's going to be a "test your knowledge" affair, I'm probably not the best to have on your team. I've been playtesting another system for nigh on 5 years and so I'm pretty unfamiliar with anything other than core. So, while I'd love to do it, if you need to make room for someone who's more appropriate, my feelings won't be hurt.

Renegade Paladin
2007-07-26, 10:15 AM
So you're saying the D&D Open is designed to test how badly you metagame? :smallamused:

RBPRX1204
2007-07-27, 12:11 AM
BTW, the exhibit hall will and shall open at 11am on Thursday, UNLESS you have a VIG badge, which then you shall and may have access to the hall at 10am. I'm having my badge mailed to me, which is currently causing all kinds of angst around my mail box, if you can imagine. Also, about the event registration stuff when you get to GenCon. I can tell you, alot of stuff got sold out fast this year. I mean, TD is gone, unless you find a spot as a 8th member of a group. Guardian 6 probably still has alot of spots, but it's really a new game concept, which I'm going to try out. A lot of RPGA stuff got sold out before I could get registered for it. I lucked into Killer Breakfast (no food provided).

As far as funk/stink issues, yes, there are issues. People, the little square thing in your hotel bathroom is probably soap. Use it. It will not decrease your hit points as some rumors have claimed. As a side note, I got a bar of soap with a d20 inside it when I went to the Pre-GenCon party "The Stink". LOL. Good stuff.

Wednesday is still a nightmare as far as scheduling for me. I need to find the VIG customer service thing to get the big bag-o-swag I'm promised, as well as my generic tickets and such. I would recommend the Ram Brewpub for a meeting, as it seems to be gaming headquarters for Tuesday and Wednesday gaming at GenCon. As a matter of fact, the Kentucky Fried Gamers are going to have a big gaming session Tuesday night at the Ram. I'm pretty sure it's open to just about anyone. You can check it out on the GenCon forums, under KFG. That is my plan for Tuesday, since my buddy from Indy is planning on staying out at his house preparing for the biggest gaming weekend of the year!

Ok, it's late, and I'm rambling. Hope to see you all there!

Thes Hunter
2007-07-27, 08:34 AM
Ok here is my suggestion.

We pick a time and place to meet on Thursday in the convention center.
The time should be early eveningish. I don't know when slots typically start or end, but 6 or 8 might be good.

We then decide where to go from there, what resturant's, where to hang out, what times, etc. Ceres seems to be the most familiar with GenCon and therefor the most busy. :smallwink:

However, if we do this, we can easily find where we are going to meet, there are no transportation issues to and from the meeting place, and we will all have some sort of feel of what is around there to better make a decision on where to meet.

Yes, me and Trog are coming. We were able to pre-reg with seconds to spare, so I wasn't able to snag us any events. Well, I do have a Welcome to Hack, Hackmaster event at 8AM Thursday morning. So even though I am watching the mailbox, (like Ceres) I will still need to be in line at 7 AM so I can snag some events.

And I thought events like that living dungeon thing and stuff always sold out. I keep getting told that stuff always sells out at pre-reg at GenCon because people hold onto tickets so they have something to do, because stuff always sells out at pre-reg at GenCon.

Which I am going to take as meaning, if a game is full, and you really want to play it, try to get in anyway by showing up early and sucking up to the GM. :smallbiggrin:

Madame_Zelia
2007-07-27, 07:13 PM
I seem to recall that we'd talked about entering this waaaaaaaay back in like...um...December or some such, and that it sounded fun. Very puzzle driven, if this is the one that El J was talking about way back then.

I'd be cool with trying to form a couple groups, assuming it's something we can still get in on at this point.

Me thinks you are talking about NASCRAG (http://www.nascrag.org/). I think there are slots still available. It is a team thing, standard 6 player deal, elimination rounds, etc.

My suggestion to you all is that you don't try to go to any restaurants in the general vicinity of the Convention Center. (E.g The RAM, Steak and Shake or anything else within 3 blocks) If you can stand it, meet up somewhere in the CC and then make your way to places farther afield, like Mass Ave (http://www.indy.org/page/business/massaveartsdistrict-8204148.html). The Abbey Coffeehouse (http://indianapolis.citysearch.com/profile/3950343/indianapolis_in/abbey_coffeehouse.html) would be good -- I believe it is open late (12pm or 1 am) and will most definitely suit the vegetarian rock stars (WHICH by the way I now feel horrible for feeding you such nasty things that you don't like and didn't tell us about.....) and others. This would be about a 1.5 mile walk (2.4 k for you Canadian types). Corner Coffee is about 2.4 miles walk.

Another option might be the Bourbon St. Distillery (http://www.bourbonstreetdistillery.com/) which is technically a bar, but they serve food too, so those underage might not have a hard time getting in (depending on the time). This would be another mile-ish walk. I've not been there yet, but they do seem to be able to handle large groups and probably you could reserve a space in advance.

The obvious problem in going to Broad Ripple is transportation. (And for that matter you might as well come to Camp El J if you are going to go that far.)

KUBB is available all weekend at Camp El J for those who are interested.

That's your 3cent update from yer old pal MZ.

PS If anyone does want to do the NASCRAG thing, I might _just_ be convinced to skip work on Friday.:smalltongue:

ZombieRockStar
2007-07-27, 07:26 PM
Kubb!!!

Must...play...

(And it's okay, Madame Z...I'm only recently vegetarian, so you were in the clear back in March)

And NASCRAG sounds fun...hmm.

Amotis
2007-07-27, 07:31 PM
I don't think transportation should be too much of a problem. Phoe and I are taxi-ing everywhere so it'll be cool to share it with anyone who needs it if we're going Con to restaurant or bar. Our hotel is pretty far away from the CC (further then camp El J, I'm told) so We're doing the transport thing quite a bit.

Walking would be fine once the sun goes down too. I always like walking downtown, especially at night. :smallsmile:

Thes Hunter
2007-07-27, 08:23 PM
Walking is no problem for me and the beast man, but I can see that it might be a problem for some others. But something 1.5 miles away might be a perfect solution. Then the people who don't want to walk, don't have to (since there is likely parking nearer than 1.5 miles away from this place) and those of us who do want to walk can.

And yeah, I would be up for any OotS forum team play action. I would ask Trog if he was interested, but he is getting close to the end of Harry Potter atm, so I don't wish to disturb him. :smallbiggrin:

Indurain
2007-07-27, 09:05 PM
I'd be up for NASCRAG, and was also thinking about maybe parking at Camp Jaspero and asking nice (with puppy dog eyes) to be picked up maybe in the puddingmobile?, since I figure with 8 of us in one hotel room, there might not be a lot of room to park at the hotel.

MZ, I'm pretty sure Zombie and I will take you up on the KUBB offer, after all I have a reputation to hold up (especially if that pesky llama shows up).

Um...yeah...that's all I have to say for now.

Ranis
2007-07-27, 09:38 PM
I just found the perfect place for us to meet up at. It's called the Red Eye Cafe. I'll have more info here when I get it. Laters.

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2007-07-28, 09:49 AM
So...guess who's going to GenCon after all? :smallbiggrin:

Ranis
2007-07-28, 12:20 PM
Red Eye Cafe

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&q=red+eye+cafe&near=Indianapolis,+IN&fb=1&cid=0,0,11751468213104239574&sa=X&oi=local_result&resnum=1&ct=image

They're relatively well-priced, it's a friendly environment, and it'll be easy to get to.

Here's their website: http://www.redeyecafe.com/

We'll plan on meeting at, say, 9:30PM on Wednesday, August 15th at the Red Eye Cafe, and I'll be the confidante for communications; here's the list of people I know that are interested in meeting my cell phone number in a PM. You can call me for information about downtown or any other questions about the city, as well.

Amotis
PhoeKun
Krade
Alarra
Zeb
Krog
Thes Hunter
Indurain
Zombie Rockstar
Madame_Zelia
Caw(?)

If I missed anyone, please let me know so that I can add you to the list and let the waitress know how many tables we'll need to shove together for the group. Laters!

Indurain
2007-07-28, 01:18 PM
Indy +1 for the dinner meet-up.

And since he's riding with me, I'm pretty sure you can add one Zombie Rockstar as well.

Ranis
2007-07-28, 01:27 PM
Original list edited. Also, I don't know how to fix that link. Because I fail at internets. Sowwy.

Madame_Zelia
2007-07-28, 01:40 PM
9:30 on Wednesday?? Or is this Thursday? aaaaarrrrrr too many details.

If it is Wednesday, you can probably add me and El J, and maybe Caw too. (I don't think he comes to FB much).

Ranis
2007-07-28, 01:50 PM
Date added, list updated.

Thes Hunter
2007-07-28, 09:50 PM
9:30 Wednesday, me and Troggie will be be likely just entering Chi-Town. So yeah.... no can do there.

Thursday it is likely, if we haven't signed up for something in that slot.... which may happen.

Amotis
2007-07-28, 10:07 PM
Lulz, okay let's make this a bit easier.

Let's list what days and time we are each available.

Amotis and Phoe: 15th after We get tickets. So probably around 8pm? Depending how long the line is. The evenings of the 16th-19th. That's assuming this only happens one night out of all the nights, as We have some other stuff planned in the evenings as well. Not to say We won't see you guys at Con and around Con and hang out like that, but evenings is basically OurTime.

Ranis
2007-07-28, 10:18 PM
Wait a sec, they sell tickets onsite before the Con? This is definite news to me.

PhoeKun
2007-07-28, 10:21 PM
They do that at almost every con...

Indurain
2007-07-28, 11:09 PM
Indurain, +1, ZRS Will likely be getting into Indy around 8 (that's just a rough guess really) on Wednesday Aug 15. As I said earlier, what would be awesome is if I can park the nudiemobile at Chez Jaspero, and have someone pick me up there. That's where my plans stand at the moment, however, I believe we 3 will also need to get tickets early, so maybe we'll try to get in earlier...oh man, now I'm confused too. Either way, we'll be there sometime Wednesday evening. For now.

Alarra
2007-07-29, 10:33 AM
Last I heard Caw wasn't making it to gencon this year. Am I mistaken?

Also, I would imagine we can pick you guys up at El J's.

Thes Hunter
2007-07-29, 10:50 AM
Since Troggie couldn't get Wednesday off we will be leaving as soon as he gets off of work. Which will hopefully be early.

It's about a 9 hour drive for us. (I drive slower than my boy :smallbiggrin: )

So it is likely we will be in late Wednesday.

According to the email I got it says the Will Call window for badges will be open the following hours:

Wednesday: 9am – 9pm
Thursday: 7am – 9pm
Friday: 7am – 9pm
Saturday: 7am – 9pm
Sunday: 7am – 2pm

So I would assume that on-site reg is open simuilar hours. Which is too bad, because I really wanted to get there early enough to maybe snap up some events that hadn't sold out during pre-reg.

EvilJames
2007-07-29, 01:14 PM
I won't be arriving until thursday morning, I would like to take part in this little meet up but I can't if it's on wednsday:smallfrown:

wxdruid
2007-07-30, 05:01 AM
I just realized that GenCon is Aug 16-19 and Indy is about 4 hours away from my house. I WANT to GO! :smallbiggrin: Oh, my, goodness. *shriek of joy* I can go! ((crosses fingers and waits for plane tickets from Iraq to Scott AFB.))

I'll be bringing catlover (age 9) with me as well.

2007-07-30, 05:02 PM
Last I heard Caw wasn't making it to gencon this year. Am I mistaken?

I believe he is now coming; apparently a deal came along too good to pass up.

I just realized that GenCon is Aug 16-19 and Indy is about 4 hours away from my house. I WANT to GO! :smallbiggrin: Oh, my, goodness. *shriek of joy* I can go! ((crosses fingers and waits for plane tickets from Iraq to Scott AFB.))

I'll be bringing catlover (age 9) with me as well.

This keeps getting better and better! Yay!

Madame_Zelia
2007-07-30, 05:28 PM
This keeps getting better and better! Yay!

I believe this just reinforces the motto: 'the last minute is our finest hour'

DragonLeader
2007-08-01, 02:21 AM
Hiya guys. I have been reading the comics for about a year, and the forums for about 6 months. I think this is my 1st or 2nd post. I want to go to GenCon so badly. I am currently stationed in Turkey, and am moving back to the states Sept 1st. I can conceviably make it there, but it would knock out my moving money. and seriously mess with my schedule for departing Turkey. I was at the last 6 GenCon's (had to do SoCal once due to a new baby). Ultimatly I don't think I'm going to make it to this one *insert grumblings about moving in the military* but i will do my best NEVER to miss another one.

Zherog
2007-08-01, 10:58 AM
I shall be there.

Do I get to give you a hug again? :smallbiggrin:

I shall be there, if anybody cares.

Alarra
2007-08-01, 02:57 PM
Do I get to give you a hug again? :smallbiggrin:

I shall be there, if anybody cares.

Sure! :smallbiggrin:
And of course we care, don't be silly. *hugs*

Zherog
2007-08-01, 03:08 PM
Sure! :smallbiggrin:

As the kids say these days: w00t!

And of course we care, don't be silly.

But I'm good at being silly. :smallsmile:

*hugs*

Double w00t! :biggrin:

Thes Hunter
2007-08-01, 06:10 PM
For those of your fortunate enough to pre-reg. Troggie's badge accidently arrived at my parent's house.... while I have yet to receive my badge. I suspect, ironically it will show up here at Trog's cubby hole of looooooove.

So, just letting those know who pre-regged who haven't gotten their stuff yet, that it should be coming. :smallsmile:

EvilJames
2007-08-02, 07:13 AM
Got mine adat or so ago, but my girlfriend's and my roommate's have not arrived yet

So is this meet up really going to be wednsday?

Zeb The Troll
2007-08-02, 07:42 AM
Those of us who are going to be there Wednesday are going to try to get together, yes, but that in no way precludes us trying to get together some time after that either. In fact 8 of us are staying in the same room and castle El J is hosting a couple more so coordinating something during the con shouldn't be a huge issue. :smallcool:

Thes Hunter
2007-08-02, 09:46 AM
^ True dat.

Ok, for those of you who have been to GenCon in Indy before, how strict are they on food policy?

At Origins, even though they say they don't allow food or drink, you can basically walk in with coolers, or maybe even the free cocktails served at your hotel *cough*

Anyways... Just wondering if we could take in some beverages in with us, so we can have our own choice of cheap beverages to drink. :smallsmile:

Zherog
2007-08-02, 09:51 AM
I've taken soda bottles and water bottles into seminars before without any issue. Snack type foods, too. The exhibit hall, however, is very strict about not allowing you to carry around a beverage. The one bookbag I use has a pocket on the side for holding a bottled drink, and they've never made me remove anything from there; but if the drink was in my hand, they wouldn't let me in.

Thes Hunter
2007-08-02, 10:03 AM
I've taken soda bottles and water bottles into seminars before without any issue. Snack type foods, too. The exhibit hall, however, is very strict about not allowing you to carry around a beverage. The one bookbag I use has a pocket on the side for holding a bottled drink, and they've never made me remove anything from there; but if the drink was in my hand, they wouldn't let me in.

Good to know that I can take my nalgene everywhere, but that I can't drag in with me my Starsmucks frappachino to caffinate up preparing for the one hour miniture speed painting contest.

Zherog
2007-08-02, 10:52 AM
In previous years, the speed painting was not in the exhibit hall; it was held in a lobby area of the second floor of the convention center.

Thes Hunter
2007-08-02, 11:27 AM
In previous years, the speed painting was not in the exhibit hall; it was held in a lobby area of the second floor of the convention center.

Good to know!

*sticks tongue out the side and gets ready*

Yeah, I was assuming it was like Origins, where it's in the Dealer's hall.

wxdruid
2007-08-02, 05:23 PM
I just need to know a firm date/time for the meetup, I'm only driving out there for one day, so I can hopefully avoid the hotel problem.

Ranis
2007-08-02, 07:39 PM
What day will you be there? The on-site Meetup hasn't been established yet because the silly Convention Center website is always down due to traffic so I haven't yet been able to procure a map. So I can work around when you're going to be there, but I think the original intent was Friday evening.

wxdruid
2007-08-03, 06:33 PM
I'll be free anyday, I'll be on leave (vacation), so it doesn't matter to me.

Ranis
2007-08-04, 07:13 AM
Ahh, okies then. I was under the impression that you'd only be down (or up?) for a day. No matter, though. Sounds good.

wxdruid
2007-08-04, 09:46 AM
Well, let me correct it so there's no confusion. I live east of St Louis, Catlover and I will be driving to Indy for one day, whichever day the meetup is. I'm very flexible on the day since I will be on vacation.

EvilJames
2007-08-05, 12:54 AM
Any idea what day we should meet for those of us whom the day before the con is not an option then?

Ranis
2007-08-05, 06:29 AM
The separate thread is now up for the official meetup times. We're going to be meeting on Friday at 7PM in the Serpentine lobby on the second floor.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-08-13, 07:52 PM
I have a friend who will be there and helping to promote a game he's been a part of. He is a very skilled gamer and has a great mind for RPG's and role-playing in general, so I'm assuming that anything he has a part of will be good. I'm letting you all know, in case anyone is interested.

Here is an email we had about it to discuss Witch Hunter.

The game is called Witch Hunter, actually. It's put out by Paradigm
Concepts, which are the same folks who do the Arcanis setting.

Their website is here: www.paradigmconcepts.com/

There is a 16 page preview of the game here:
http://www.paradigmconcepts.com/arcanis/WH_Preview.pdf

The game nearly sold out at Origins. It's definately going to be at Gen Con.
I wrote the monster section of the book and helped with game design. I wrote
the adventure kit that accompanies the GM's screen and I'm currently writing
their "monster book" right now.

If anyone is looking to see new games, I'd give it a try.

Thes Hunter
2007-08-15, 07:50 AM
It's GEN CON DAY!!!!!!!!!!

YYYYYYAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!

Charity
2007-08-15, 08:39 AM
It's about a 9 hour drive for us. (I drive slower than my boy :smallbiggrin: )

Sellotapes a brick to Theso's right foot.
Can't have her letting the side down..

Oh and use a hipflask Thes... or two.

Have a great time guys.

Trog
2007-08-15, 08:56 AM
*Trog runs in carrying a microphone that looks like a large silver lozenge with holes all over it. He's wearing a tan trenchcoat and hat on a matching tan hat that looks like it came from some bygone era. A card which reads: "PRESS" is stuck in the band.*

BEEP BE-BEEEP BEP BEP BEEP BE-BEEEP BEP BEP BEEP BE-BEEEP....

Voice Over: And now with a special report on Gen Con we take you to our roving reporter, Trog, who is on the scene.

Thanks, Bill. Trog is currently standing outside the building in which Gen Con will be taking place over these next few days. Once again violence has broken out between the rival gangs of the Geeks and the Nerds. It's a bloody scene but all Trog can tell you was that there was a lot of alley fights and the local emergency rooms are sure to be filled with dice rolling related injuries tonight and throughout the weekend event.

Wizards of the Coast and other Gaming vendors and representatives were unable to be reached for comment but Trog has one source inside who told Trog earlier under agreement that he remain anonymous that many feel like they want to return to their parent's basements.

Despite the number of unwashed heathens at the Con there still remain a core group of cool people drawn to the sounds of paper shuffling and Mt. Dew slurping that happens here every year and this year appears to be no different. Those cool people, referring to themselves as "GitPers", are expected to descend upon the Con like quote: "Stink on Trog," end quote.

Understandably Trog is a bit peeved at that comment and is determined to have his revenge. From Gen Con, this is Trog, reporting.

Okay. We off the air? Good. Hmm? Oh this? Trog got this getup off of some frog Trog mugged earlier.

Ranis
2007-08-15, 09:09 AM
It's GEN CON DAY!!!!!!!!!!

YYYYYYAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!

.......tomorrow! YAAAAAAYYYYYY~!

Amotis
2007-08-15, 11:58 PM
Pssht. Pssht. This is Amotis and Phoe reporting in. Deep behind enemy lines, we have obtained these "4 day passes" so they say and are waiting for the morrow (actually, it's today, but hey I'm still on SD time...><) in Our secret fort.

Secret Agent Indy or anyone in that group, contact Secret Agent Alarra for Secret Agent Amotis' cell phone number. We have some questions.

Pssht. Pssht. Chocolate bear sodas. I repeat, chocolate bear sodas. Over and out.

RBPRX1204
2007-08-15, 11:59 PM
Less than 8 hours before my first official GenCon event. OMG, I'm already worn out.

Reinboom
2007-08-16, 12:10 AM
I will be arriving at around 2 PM. *squealy excitement*
I won't leave for another 10 hours.. *sigh* but alas, I'm not in control of the wheels.

Renegade Paladin
2007-08-16, 01:45 AM
I'm leaving early tomorrow. For the others rooming with Alarra, I've lost her cell phone number and have no other means of contacting any of you. If I'm to join you before the Friday meetup, I'm going to need either extraordinarily good luck or some other means of contacting someone who's sharing the room.

FdL
2007-08-16, 10:05 PM
Pssht. Pssht. This is Amotis and Phoe reporting in. Deep behind enemy lines, we have obtained these "4 day passes" so they say and are waiting for the morrow (actually, it's today, but hey I'm still on SD time...><) in Our secret fort.

Secret Agent Indy or anyone in that group, contact Secret Agent Alarra for Secret Agent Amotis' cell phone number. We have some questions.

Pssht. Pssht. Chocolate bear sodas. I repeat, chocolate bear sodas. Over and out.

Yay!!!! You're already there! Have lots of fun!!! ^^ (And take pics)

Edit: I've just found out that this is about gaming, not video games. I'm the worst geek ever :s

wxdruid
2007-08-18, 02:11 PM
And GenCon was a total blast!