PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder evasion vs secondary breath weapon

Scottlang
2016-12-20, 08:28 AM
Ok, the debate is as follows:

Khala has the following breath weapon "A khala can fire a jet of frigid liquid from one of its three mouths, dealing 16d6 points of cold damage (Reflex DC 27 half). Even if they succeed at the Reflex save, creatures caught in the line must succeed at a DC 27 Fortitude save or be encased in ice."
Now a player said that with evasion would have to worry about the save, as the player avoided the Ray... My argument is it states that even if you make the ref save, you were still caught in the line... Which statement is true??

Ualaa
2016-12-20, 08:38 AM
I would tend to go with... even if they succeed at the saving throw...

Evasion modifies the initial saving throw, as it is a Reflex for Half, to Reflex for none.
But the breath requires two saves, not one.

Since the second save is required, regardless of whether the first is made or not, it is reasonable to read breath weapon: Fort save (or nastiness) & Reflex save (or damage).
The two effects are basically simultaneous, damage and save vs nastiness.

So do the Fort save first, since a character has to make both regardless of the Reflex save result.
Then resolve the damage with a Reflex save.
There are already some AoE attacks, with Fort saves instead of Reflex.

stack
2016-12-20, 10:33 AM
By RAW I suspect they are subject to the second save. Perhaps there is a rule buried somewhere that exempts you if you don't take damage, but I am not aware if it.

If I was writing the ability I would have the secondary say 'Creatures that take damage must make a fortitude...", then evasion would get you clear. I would also implement that as a house rule.

Psyren
2016-12-20, 12:21 PM
I'm with stack - as written it hits you, but logically it shouldn't, and I would houserule as such.

Stealth Marmot
2016-12-20, 02:15 PM
By RAW I suspect they are subject to the second save. Perhaps there is a rule buried somewhere that exempts you if you don't take damage, but I am not aware if it.

If I was writing the ability I would have the secondary say 'Creatures that take damage must make a fortitude...", then evasion would get you clear. I would also implement that as a house rule.

The problem with that language is that as written, creatures with cold resistance or immunity would be immune to the encasing effect, which doesn't make sense. It's better to say "creatures that avoid such damage with abilities like evasion".