PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to suppress a permanent Enlarge Person?

SangoProduction
2016-12-20, 08:29 AM
I'm wanting to put a Permanencied Enlarge Person on the uber charger. But, I don't want him to be an obvious draw when we aren't in combat. AMF works, but we don't want to impede our own casting if we're caught out.

BloodSnake'sCha
2016-12-20, 08:32 AM
I'm wanting to put a Permanencied Enlarge Person on the uber charger. But, I don't want him to be an obvious draw when we aren't in combat. AMF works, but we don't want to impede our own casting if we're caught out.

try to draft a small antimagic item(an antimagic field only stop magic in the field, the magic continue if you get out of it)

try to make the field on an item that can be easily removed and try to make the field as small as possible

Ualaa
2016-12-20, 08:33 AM
Even extended, a Reduce Person is still based off of minutes per level... so that would get expensive quickly.
Reduce should counter Enlarge, that's my first guess.

You could in theory craft a ring, with that effect, which could then be removed for combat.

Scottlang
2016-12-20, 08:33 AM
Have a ring of reduce person, something like that, that can be easily removes... I had my big bad have a ring of reduce person, so he could pass as medium...

SangoProduction
2016-12-20, 08:45 AM
So, is it better to get a ring of Enlarge Person, or to get a Ring of Reduce Person, and permanent Enlarge Person?

BloodSnake'sCha
2016-12-20, 08:52 AM
So, is it better to get a ring of Enlarge Person, or to get a Ring of Reduce Person, and permanent Enlarge Person?

a ring of reduce person + permanent spell will give you an extra ring slot in the time you want him to be big and the ring og enlarge person will give you an extra ring slot when yoy want him to be small.

Inevitability
2016-12-20, 09:28 AM

Does your DM allow custom rings? Because if so, the first is pretty much strictly better. Less dispel vulnerability, cheaper, sharable with party members in a pinch...

At worst, there's the fact that you're taking up a ring slot, but even then just making the ring slotless will probably end up cheaper than the non-slotless Ring of Reduce Person with several castings of Permanent Enlarge Person.

Darrin
2016-12-20, 09:51 AM
Shrink Collar (10000 GP, A&EG p. 80) is about half the price of a Ring of Reduction (20000 GP, Lords of Madness p. 130). Glove of the Master Strategist (3600 GP, Ghostwalk p. 71) might allow you to swap out either the ring or the shrink collar as a free action. Ring of Arming (5000 GP, MIC p. 122) might also work, although classifying either the ring or collar as "armor" might need some fudging. Throw a deflection or natural armor bonus on there (+2000 GP) and it might count as armor.

ShurikVch
2016-12-20, 12:55 PM
Shrink Collar (10000 GP, A&EG p. 80)I wanted to mention this awesome trinket, but it may have one possible caveat: RAW doesn't says equipment will change size along with you...

Eldaran
2016-12-20, 11:15 PM
Reduce Person dispels Enlarge, you can't just cast it and then when it wears off you're Enlarged again. You'd have to recast the permanency, which is obviously very expensive. If you can just get a ring of continuous Enlarge Person that's definitely the way to go.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-12-20, 11:37 PM
Why not just get a ring with a command word activation enlarge person effect?

Fight starts, you use a standard action to activate the ring and enlarge, a minute later you shrink back to normal.

No sense getting over-complicated about these things.

With the shrink collar as a guideline, 10,000gp seems like a justifiable price.