PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Sunblessed-Creature template

Westhart
2016-12-20, 10:49 AM
This is a work in progress so here it is so far, suggestions as always are appreciated

Sunblessed (augmented humanoid)
Sunblessed are people that were blessed by a deity as they turned into a vampire. They look almost the same but they have bigger canines.They are a mix of both vampire and the base creature taking the best from each since they are not actually undead they still have a constitution score. Sunblessed almost always result from the direct intervention of a god but while it is extremely rare a sunblessed can make another of its kind if the conditions are right. It is a template that is applied in the same way as the vampire template, with the following:

alignment: Any nonevil although Lawful Good is most common
+6 to all stats
immune to drain attacks (negative levels etc)
DR 12/+5 and Silver
All hd become d12's
+6 divine bonus AC
all weapons wielded by a sunblessed automatically have the holy magical ability
no slam attack instead of slam, sunblessed get +6 collision, etheral reaver, brilliant energy
strong built: as goliath racial trait
Spawn: If a person is at -2 hp or less a sunblessed is allowed to blood drain a creature and turn it int another sunblessed although they can not do so otherwise
Spell like abilities: restoration 2/day, heal 3/day
blood drain as vampire, but has to be from a willing donor and can not kill the donor
charm (Su): anyone looking at the sunblessed vampire must make a will save (dc=10+1/2 hd+cha mod) or become charmed as the spell
fast healing 5
resistance 10 to: electricity, cold
immune to: petrification, blindness, dazzled
fly speed (double base creatures land speed) perfect maneuverability

Debihuman
2017-01-02, 06:12 AM
It helps if you use a template format to start instead of just listing changes in a bullet because then you can see where this template is going. See Vampire Template here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/vampire.htm

EXAMPLE

Sunblessed Creature Template

This is an acquired Template that can be applied to any Undead Creature with the Vampire or Monstrous Vampire Template. This template can only be gained at the same the time the Vampire or Monstrous Vampire template is gained.

Alternatively, you could reinvent the wheel and just make a Sunblessed Vampire Template and just follow the Vampire template and make your changes just to that.

Sunblessed Vampire Template

This is an acquired Template that can be applied to any Humanoid or Monstrous Humanoid (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

Clearly you are trying to make a Good aligned vampire creature. I think some of your abilities are overpowered in conjunction with the abilities that are already gained by having the vampire template. You should balance that out a bit more.

Where is the Divine bonus coming from? Shouldn't the requirement be that the base creature has to worship some sort of deity?

The_Iron_Lord
2017-01-03, 07:35 PM
This kind of seems like you're going for a "chosen of the deity" super-vampire, except good. However, the abilities that the template gives are frankly extremely powerful, and not appropriate for PCs, at least not until higher levels. While that is fine, I would hope that your intention here was not to create a PC friendly vampire, as it will need some significant downgrading to accomplish that goal.

EDIT: You might also want to consider making them the Deathless creature type, as that is the opposite of an undead (powered by positive energy). The Deathless are from the BoED.

neriractor
2017-01-04, 01:25 PM
mandatory sun praising:

http://i.imgur.com/yoJnius.gif

also, how much fast healing do they get? you forgot to put a number

Westhart
2017-01-05, 08:55 AM
thanks guys, this idea just struck me as I was lookinng at the vampire and reading a pretty crappy novel...deathless is a good idea, and as far as the OP most things in my campaign are and it is an epic template so the campaing this is in is actually normal to be like.

Westhart
2017-01-05, 08:56 AM
and thanks for pointing out the regen

Westhart
2017-01-05, 09:46 AM
I writ up some more on this, mostly for balance...

Westhart
2017-01-05, 09:58 AM
will post it as soon as I find it

Westhart
2017-01-05, 10:13 AM
nevermind, apparently it was deleted although sometimes if I go offline it will reappear

jqavins
2017-01-05, 03:45 PM
This kind of seems like you're going for a "chosen of the deity" super-vampire, except good. However, the abilities that the template gives are frankly extremely powerful, and not appropriate for PCs, at least not until higher levels. While that is fine, I would hope that your intention here was not to create a PC friendly vampire, as it will need some significant downgrading to accomplish that goal.
Well, basically the high powered features provide a (large) level adjustment. So a mid level character with this template applied could fit into a high level game.

Mr. Abnormal, is there a particular purpose here, or is it just a cool idea? The latter is fine, but if there is a purpose then you might get some feedback on how well it's achieved. Personally, it seems to me that someone being "rescued" from vampirism by a god at the last second and made into something else instead would seem to be such a rare occurrence that I would handle the stats as a one-off and not make a template, but that's me.

Kaskus
2017-01-05, 09:26 PM
From a fluff / thematic perspective you might also consider this to be something that "redeemed" vampires can become. Instead of just a last minute save from being a vampire, it could be something into which vampires who find their way back "into the light" are transformed. You could even make it a less involved template that goes over the top of the Vampire template.

Westhart
2017-04-05, 07:38 AM
Well, sorry for being gone so long, minor PC problems plus kinda forgot about this [innocent whistle]
I was going back over it and realized how OP it is compared to the actual vampire... Really am trying to throw this together because I have an upcoming Campaign I agreed to run for my little brother's high school friends and one wants to play a vampire... usually ok, except for a couple things:

The want to be uber holy
they do not like the aversion to holy symbols (easy fix, make unholy symbols instead)
Want immunity to sunlight
The want to work for an Archangel

So you can see, I tried throwing something together while trying to also make a whole campaign :smallbiggrin:
Also thank you Iron Lord for pointing out the Deathless, have not used many monsters from that book...
As far as fluff the character's basic idea is:
"The universe seeks order, for every thing unholy there is something holy, for every death there is a birth..." Basic lines of what the email from her was... although she might go for a redeemed vampire :smallsmile:
Also what I posted was some copy paste from the email, please don't think too badly of me :smallredface: Seems a player tried to pull one on the DM :smallwink:

Westhart
2017-04-05, 08:18 AM
So looking through I have put together a list of things to try with the class and posted to see what the playground thinks:

Add deathless subtype
Armor class: Vamp gets +6 to previous natural... maybe a sacred +6 for the Sunblessed?
Should they keep energy drain and blood drain? I think keep the blood drain but lose slam and its energy drain special attack...
Children of the night: replace with ability to call a Divine Wrath Swarm 1/day (Exalted deeds) Although this seems better...
Dominate: Replace with something or if going for the redeemed maybe keep?
Alternate form: replace animals with "holy" -ish equivalents (need to brush up my mythology)
DR as vampire is good so can bring that over
Fast healing as vampire (5) is good
Gaseous form: stay or go?
Resistance cold 10, electricity 10 (as vampire)
Turn resistance: Would believe you keep since deathless can be turned by evil and controlled by good (reverse of undead)
Feats: Vampires get 5, should our sunblessed have the same?
Weaknesses: A Sunblessed is repelled by a strongly presented unholy symbol... should they get the others (mirrors, garlic, running water?)
Slaying: Same as a vampire? We could use a slightly reworked version of the Sacred Watcher's Rejuvenation ability:
Rejuvenation (Su): In most cases, it’s difficult to destroy a Sunblessed through simple combat: The Sublessed often restores itself in 2d4 days. Even the most powerful spells are often only temporary solutions. A sacred watcher that would otherwise be destroyed returns to its mission with a successful level check (1d20 + Sunblessed level or HD) against DC 16. Of course this would replace how a vampire can go to its coffin...
LA: +8 is vampire but slam and energy drain is gone, and possibly some others... so maybe 6 or 7?

With this we get (for sure):
Sunblessed [template]
Sunblessed is an acquired template that can be added to any humanoid, or monstrous humanoid (hereafter known as the base creature).
A Sunblessed uses all the base statistics and special abilities of the creature except as below:
Type: Changes to deathless (augmented humanoid or monstrous humanoid), do not recalculate saving throws, skill points, or BAB
Hit Dice: All current and future HD become d12’s
Special Attacks of the Sunblessed
Blood drain: As vampire ability
Special Qualities of the Sunblessed:
Deathless traits: See pages 157-158? Book of Exalted Deeds
Resistances: Electricity 10, Cold 10
Alternate forms: Insert animals here
Sunblessed Weaknesses:
A recoiling Sunblessed must stay at least 5 feet away from a creature holding an unholy symbol and cannot touch or make melee attacks against the creature holding the item for the rest of the encounter. Holding a Sunblessed at bay takes a standard action.
Slaying a Sunblessed: Sunblessed are extremely resilient, and the Sunblessed often restores itself in 2d4 days after being slain. Even the most powerful spells are often only temporary solutions. A sacred watcher that would otherwise be destroyed returns to its mission with a successful level check (1d20 + Sunblessed level or HD) against DC 16

There, that is the rough at least...

Westhart
2017-04-05, 08:25 AM
oops, changed the name to daylighter XD
I was thinking, maybe have separate benefits for a vampire turned sunblessed?

jqavins
2017-04-05, 09:58 AM
I have an upcoming Campaign I agreed to run for my little brother's high school friends and one wants to play a vampire... usually ok, except for a couple things:
Here's how I would handle the request, for what it's worth.

1. The want to be uber holy
You want to play a good aligned vampire? Fine, roleplay it; you're a vampire and you are good. You have all of a vampire's powers and liabilities. How you reconcile using abilities like energy drain with good dalignment is all in the roleplaying.

2. they do not like the aversion to holy symbols (easy fix, make unholy symbols instead)
A natural consequence of roleplaying good alignment. Special one-off variant is granted. Possibly reverse the good/evil clerics' turn/control, but maybe not, as that could make for interesting situations.

3. Want immunity to sunlight
Too bad. Use a magic item or a new spell, or something.

4. The want to work for an Archangel
Any character might want this. You (as DM, that is) handle it just as you would handle the same request from anybody else.

Done.

Remember: K I S S.

Westhart
2017-04-05, 10:04 AM
hmmm, yes that would work... make them come up with a good backstory :smallamused:
of course I have had two ask for me to write it so far XD
and found the spell:
Semblance of life in dragon 304
make an item with it as permanent perhaps... just watch out for AM fields during the day ^^
Now I am not sure whether to continue ot or declare that this attempt at a homebrew was a flop :smallbiggrin: