PDA

View Full Version : The D&D Lady Players are a myth?

Einkil
2007-07-17, 12:38 AM
Saludos Gente!!
This question has concern the most important scintific minds over centurys...
I actually know about some Ladys who play D&D, Challenging (and they play like if they were writting a book!!) etc.. but in the majority they are in their second XV...
So.. my qustion is.. the Lady who played D&D with age of( 25, 24, 23) and more strange that i have never seen 19, 18, 17, 16-15(human years) exist.. or are another beatiful romantic-myth like the unicorns??

Ladys: don't feel paranoid, is only a question...

Dr._Weird
2007-07-17, 12:47 AM
No, they're not. We even had a thread on this like, a year ago. It had a huge list and everything.

phoenixineohp
2007-07-17, 12:49 AM
I think I exist... thought I would love a unicorn.

It is an rare species that seems to be somewhat represented here.

Yiel
2007-07-17, 12:50 AM
Nice to know I, some off my best girlfriends and pretty much all the girls on this forums are mythical beasts.

*looks around to check for scales, feathers and pixie-dust*

Krade
2007-07-17, 12:58 AM
I'm hoping what I see as "English is obviously not your first language" is true. Because I know people exist that really can't put a sentence together very well that have been speaking English their whole lives, and instead of actually trying to get better, pout and whine about how you are making fun of them when you are actually trying to help.

That said, I am not trying to make fun of you or anything like that. Just letting you know that the title "The D&D Lady Players are a myth?" sounds REALLY wierd. Kinda like there is a group D&D players who "play ladies." I heartily suggest it be changed to "Lady D&D Players are a myth?" or something similar.

Serpentine
2007-07-17, 12:59 AM
I think it was more an age-specific question... and being 21, I think I fit into what he's saying.

Midnight Son
2007-07-17, 01:00 AM
"It's a mythological creature, I can calls it what I wants!" I'll call her "Ashildr" and "beautiful"

Dr._Weird
2007-07-17, 01:00 AM
I'm hoping what I see as "English is obviously not your first language" is true. Because I know people exist that really can't put a sentence together very well that have been speaking English their whole lives, and instead of actually trying to get better, pout and whine about how you are making fun of them when you are actually trying to help.

That said, I am not trying to make fun of you or anything like that. Just letting you know that the title "The D&D Lady Players are a myth?" sounds REALLY wierd. Kinda like there is a group D&D players who "play ladies." I heartily suggest it be changed to "Lady D&D Players are a myth?" or something similar.

I'm guessing English isn't his first language, judging from Saludos Gente and the incorrect tenses.

Triggerhappy938
2007-07-17, 01:12 AM
Nice to know I, some off my best girlfriends and pretty much all the girls on this forums are mythical beasts.

*looks around to check for scales, feathers and pixie-dust*

Girls on internet = also myth.

We need mythbusters, stat!

GameResearch
2007-07-17, 01:14 AM
I know a few personally, though they've all been introduced to the hobby by their boyfriends. But here at the forum you can see that there are quite many girls/women around.

I think I've read somewhere on the net that women are generally more interested in games that focus on storytelling rather than tactical combat. While it's possible to play RP-heavy D&D campaigns, D&D has its roots in wargames (and that dread Gygaxian dungeon crawling shadow looming over it), and it could be that women like more freeform RPGing or WoD where combat is more abstract and doesn't get in the way of storytelling.

That is just a very rough generalisation based on someone else's research/guesswork and I have no statistics to back that up, so don't sue me if you don't fit that mould. :smallsmile:

I'm male myself, and I'm equally fond of storytelling and combat when they mesh well together. I've found that when I play D&D tabletop games with my old pals, it's usually combat-oriented, but when I play D&D online with strangers, it's much more RP-oriented.

ForzaFiori
2007-07-17, 01:28 AM
I'm guessing English isn't his first language, judging from Saludos Gente and the incorrect tenses.

it isn't.
iirc, Einkil originally speaks spanish.

Einkil
2007-07-17, 01:31 AM
Ok, ok, i know my gramatical is horrible... but i have learned english from school i have never being in US, Canada, England, Australia or anoher country of English language... But i would like to see you talking spanish (evil laugh) but in my defense.. you understood the idea.. so.. í think i´m understandable...

And Sorry if it seems like a mm..."offensive" title.. i was looking more for information...
I make this same thread ina peruan foru (they talk my language so we dont have probelm with this) but, there were like 5 lady sonly...
But i can see here is different...Thanks for the answers, and sorry for the misunderstood and my poor english-language manage...

El río abajo van cuatro tablas

bien entaramintanguladas,

¿quién las desentaramingulará?

El desentaramintangulador

que las desentaramintangule,

buen desentaramintangulador será

Ok, that doesnt have anything to do, but is a funny "Traba lenguas" XD

I forgot something: YoloTecpatl/Einkil/cuauchtzin doesn´t knows the word "time" Tenses:smallcool: ... ok i know them.. but i have to check the post like 3 times to correct them i to do that i have to think.. and to think.. so i prompise to be more carefull:smallredface:

Saithis Bladewing
2007-07-17, 01:32 AM
*Waves.*

I'm evidence.

*Goes back to lurking.*

Charity
2007-07-17, 02:15 AM
*Waves.*

I'm evidence.

*Goes back to lurking.*

To quote the bard himself.

Pictures or it didn't happen.

T'ze'hai
2007-07-17, 02:39 AM
Hola!

I play ad&d since I'm 23, did an earlier attempt when I was 19 but couldn't find a good group (the boys-group I joined first feld a bit strange with me around, so I quit). I was asked by a friend (girl) to join her group, which at that time had 4 ladies and 4 men. Later on we played with 4 ladies and 3 men...
I play a fire-mage named T'ze'hai since I began, one who learned to fight with sword and bow-and-arrow and who likes to turn enemies to barbeques...
I also played a thief, a bard, a priestess of Leira, another wizard...
One of my game-boyfriends is a centaur.
At the moment I run my own group (I'm the goddess so to speak, or the dungeon mistress), a small group of longtime players (all male...).

Saithis Bladewing
2007-07-17, 02:41 AM
To quote the bard himself.

Pictures or it didn't happen.

Keep trying, you're still not going to bring me out of hiding anytime soon.

Avenging Viper
2007-07-17, 02:51 AM
Gamus gynae is a rare and exotic specimen of the Geekanthropus family. Commonly mystaken for a mythical creature, Gamus gynae is merely illusive and endangered, as it's natural habitat is frought with such dangers as the related predatory species Gamus lecheraii. Gamus gynae should not be confused with a similar species Nerdus femina. Though the two often share similar habitats, their plumage and mating behaviors are quite different.

Pyrian
2007-07-17, 03:30 AM
Hah, lady D&D'ers are downright common. Now, try to find lady tabletop wargamers... That's a challenge!

TheBoneSplitter
2007-07-17, 03:51 AM
My mother was a cleric. :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2007-07-17, 03:52 AM
Yer father was a bard and yer mother wore gauntlets!

Saithis Bladewing
2007-07-17, 03:52 AM
Hah, lady D&D'ers are downright common. Now, try to find lady tabletop wargamers... That's a challenge!

*Raises hand.*

I'm evidence.

*Retreats to her lurking. Again.*

TheBoneSplitter
2007-07-17, 03:57 AM
Oddly enough, my father isn't even interested in that stuff... probably never was. He's more of a pool player as of course he wins trophies for the sport / hobby.

DarkLightDragon
2007-07-17, 04:01 AM
I'm a 16-year-old mythical beast!

:smallbiggrin:

Charity
2007-07-17, 04:16 AM

*Cough*Saithis*cough*

Although she may be a figment of our collective deranged imagination.

EDIT - must learn to refresh before posting.

Narmoth
2007-07-17, 04:43 AM
Well, my sister plays AD&D. She is also one of the better DMs I have played with (nr 2 of 7). (But that's because she was taught by me). And yes, she runs her own gaming group as Dm in addition to play with mine group.

Then again many would say that "girls don't listen to heavy metal, only ot gothic and emo stuff", and she has found many bands for me to listen to (Nevermore, Kamelot, Iced Earth)

Saithis Bladewing
2007-07-17, 05:02 AM
*Cough*Saithis*cough*

Although she may be a figment of our collective deranged imagination.

EDIT - must learn to refresh before posting.

I'm not a figment of anyone's imagination other than my own. :smallbiggrin:

Charity
2007-07-17, 05:12 AM
Ah but how do I know that?

*continues on his path to explody doom*

Xuincherguixe
2007-07-17, 05:25 AM
They're probably drawn to other games more, but they're not completely unheard of.

Of course, they've probably learned to be pretty wary of some of the male players which may be partly why they aren't noticed so much :P

"Hey bro, can you get me a copy of the monster manual? I don't really want to step inside that place..."

"I'm not really sure I want to either come to think of it. But okay."

Serpentine
2007-07-17, 05:56 AM
You know, way back in the deep dark depths of high school, I went to a "games night" at a comic shop... Suffice to say 'tweren't the games I were expecting :smalltongue: Now that I think of it, I don't remember seeing any D&D there... Magic and Warhammer, but no D&D. Then again, I think I was the only girl... maybe D&D's becoming a girly game :smallconfused:

Narmoth
2007-07-17, 06:23 AM
... maybe D&D's becoming a girly game :smallconfused:

It is. True men play Advanced D&D :smallbiggrin:

Mr the Geoff
2007-07-17, 06:37 AM
Well,

I was actually introduced to d&d by a female friend of mine. While it is impolite to state her current age she has been playing since she was in her teens.

My younger sister now also plays (introduced by her husband) as do one of her female friends, both in their early 20s.

I also know a couple of other women who used to play but don't currently.

While in my experience male players are in the majority, it's not as one sided as cliche makes it out to be.

The Prince of Cats
2007-07-17, 06:38 AM
Well, my wife and sister were both brought into D&D by the older brothers. My wife at 18 and my sister at 13.

Strangely, I started out on Vampire the Masquerade (as did my sister) and there were more girls playing that than boys. Most of them had introduced themselves or been introduced by friends. I was tempted by MET (I even have the LE Vampire MET rules), but I stuck to tabletop for the most part.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-07-17, 07:34 AM
Gamus gynae is a rare and exotic specimen of the Geekanthropus family. Commonly mystaken for a mythical creature, Gamus gynae is merely illusive and endangered, as it's natural habitat is frought with such dangers as the related predatory species Gamus lecheraii. Gamus gynae should not be confused with a similar species Nerdus femina. Though the two often share similar habitats, their plumage and mating behaviors are quite different.

Excellent post Viper :biggrin:

Sadly, in real life; I do not know may female gamers; they are a rare and powerful being. :smallfrown: The only girl I met that was actually looking at a DnD book was "buying it for her dorky brother". :smalleek: Then I sulked away with Complete Champion in hand.

Aramil Liadon
2007-07-17, 07:56 AM
I refuse to change my pessimistic outlook.

Gamer girls are all 'existence challenged', if you know what I mean.
Don't, won't, can't, shan't, pass it along the line.

You can, however, gain an incorporeal existence if you got the reference.

The Prince of Cats
2007-07-17, 08:06 AM
Well, I play D&D with two men and four women. Even including me as a man, that means we are outnumbered 3 to 4. When I joined the group, we only outnumbered them 4 to 3. (technically, it was 4:4 because one of the women was pregnant with a girl)

Lenlalron
2007-07-17, 08:17 AM
They're not a myth (I've always had at least one girl in my DnD groups). However, one of the reasons you don't see many is because of the "gamer lecherai" (or whatever that poster called them; it was a clever name ;p) who scare girls off with their desperate, slightly digusting behavior. So, step one to find girl gamers is to not be that guy.

Other than that, good luck. ;)

I'm da Rogue!
2007-07-17, 08:29 AM
Although I've been the only girl in my dnd party for years, I managed to create a "ladies" party with my friends and me as a DM. We're now 7 girls playing for some months. There is a boy party too. And I am planning to mix them in a single party (some of them will die til then so we won't be too crowded). Girls vs Boys!!! xD

Call_me_Fate
2007-07-17, 08:52 AM
I prefer to think of myself as a legend, not a myth. Legend just sounds so much more exciting. :smalltongue:

Mr. Moon
2007-07-17, 09:31 AM
Girls on internet = also myth.

We need mythbusters, stat!

Quoted for pure win. ^_^

I played D&D, untill I got fed up with reading my PHB three times to figure out how many dice to roll when grappling.

I do play tabbletop wargames, though.

Castaras
2007-07-17, 09:46 AM
Girlz?! PLAYIN DnD?!

Lolz, thatz sillier thn RL girlz on da INTARNATS, LMAO!

Moving on from that extreme sarcasm, I'm a teenager, and yes I play AD&D. So no, we're not a myth, we're just hiding. :smalltongue:

iamkoolerthanu
2007-07-17, 09:58 AM

I know four or five tabletop wargamers that are girls, and they are actually pretty good too.

AtomicKitKat
2007-07-17, 09:59 AM
Heh. I know of one older lady who delivers/checks stock of D&D stuff at the FnsLGS, and a younger one(presumably in her 20s, considering how long I've seen her around there) who works the counter(and plays M:tG with the other staff between sales). Beyond that, most of the girls I knew in school were of the "RPG is evoool!" school of religion. Didn't help that most of the English teachers I knew also happen to be from said "school"(as in "not the school I'm studying/they're teaching at"), and thus followed similar schools of thought. Haha. I bet most of the non-native English-speakers here are now going "Crap. Well, at least he didn't mention schools of fish." <<<<HAH!:smallwink::smallbiggrin:

Castaras
2007-07-17, 10:10 AM
Now, try to find lady tabletop wargamers... That's a challenge!

I really need to read these threads better...

I'm a D&D miniatures player. And I have played some Warhammer. Preferred D&D though.

Penguinsushi
2007-07-17, 10:23 AM
The gaming group I started in college began with ALL female players. I was the only guy in the group for quite a while, actually. By the time we got to actual D&D, we had another guy in the group though. Enter, the Llama. :smallbiggrin:

The gender distribution has changed over time, but we've always had at least a few girl gamers in the mix.

~PS

elliott20
2007-07-17, 10:28 AM
Heh. I know of one older lady who delivers/checks stock of D&D stuff at the FnsLGS, and a younger one(presumably in her 20s, considering how long I've seen her around there) who works the counter(and plays M:tG with the other staff between sales). Beyond that, most of the girls I knew in school were of the "RPG is evoool!" school of religion. Didn't help that most of the English teachers I knew also happen to be from said "school"(as in "not the school I'm studying/they're teaching at"), and thus followed similar schools of thought. Haha. I bet most of the non-native English-speakers here are now going "Crap. Well, at least he didn't mention schools of fish." <<<<HAH!:smallwink::smallbiggrin:

[valley girl]Like, don't you know? RPGs lead to satanic worship, suicide, the occult, and of course, bad acne, which is, like, TOTALLY gross! like, obvi!
[/valley girl]
*burns his keyboard*

ArchivesNinja
2007-07-17, 10:38 AM
The gaming group I started in college began with ALL female players. *snip* ~PS

Aaah, yes, the First Group. Good times.

We know, what? Four or 5 females who still actively game? (Myself included.) And PenguinSushi and I have been gaming together for about 7 years now. There are definitely more male gamers in the area in general, making "Gamus lecheraii" a concern, though not really a problem. I think I've ever only been in one group where I'm the only girl. :smallsmile:

(That was awesome, btw Viper.)

SilverClawShift
2007-07-17, 11:08 AM
However, one of the reasons you don't see many is because of the "gamer lecherai" who scare girls off with their desperate, slightly digusting behavior.

There is that. It's not as bad as you'd guess, but the gaming population seems to have a higher-than-average percentage of guys who think of women like toys or objectives.

There's also something that I've observed personally, and had a few people agree with me on... A lot of pen & paper gamers of all types seem really.... abbrasive.
I don't mean that in a hostile way. There are a LOT of incredibly friendly, polite, and enjoyable people who play roleplaying games and related stuff, but it's like a minefield. Going to a gaming shop or convention or get-together ect ect ect, and you end up finding yourself wondering if someone you try to talk to is going to be frighteningly unfriendly. Unfriendly over the most minor things too.
You have people who take the way they play the game as the 'ultimate truth' and bad-mouth people (to their faces) for playing in some other way. You have people who take minor rule interpretations as personal offenses. You have people who talk to you like you're a moron for not knowing about some obscure supplement to a game released 5 years ago that has a 'really good' table for random weather patterns.

And that's the gender-neutral stuff. Then if you're a girl, you have people who assume off the bat that you don't know what the game is even about, that you think every game should be about romance, or even people who assume you have trouble with basic math and will need to find someone to help you keep your character sheet in shape (that's happened to me on three seperate occasions).
Or people who think saving you from trouble in game is going to make you fawn all over them, or who want to give you stuff like they can barter for affection, and people who get angry that you don't jump up and start worshipping them because they're 'such a nice guy'.

Bleh. I'm sorry, I didn't meant to start ranting about this.

My point was, I've talked to some guys who have trouble finding new roleplaying-game loving friends, because they can either be distant and snippy, passive aggressive, or even outright aggressive. It doesn't seem to bother guys as much, but it's not really that shocking that girls are less likely to announce to the world that they like games.

The first two times I went to 'Ye Olde Gamee Shope' were pretty uncomfortable. The first time was a combo of "You can't add two numbers" and "I'm single and lonely and mad at your entire gender". The second time I (and two of my friends) actually got SCREAMED at for playing D&D 'wrong'. The phrasing went something like "Put down the ******* handbook and go play ******* shadowrun". The guy was upset because we handled the situation with a verbal back-and-forth and only rolled dice when it seemed important, rather than rolling dice for everything that occured.

Again, I'll repeat that there's a ton of really wonderful players, and most of my good friends are gamers in one way or another. It's not like there's some universal problem, it can just be intimidating for ANYONE to get started doing stuff like this, much less if everyone in the room is staring in confusion at the person with long hair and breasts.

Syka
2007-07-17, 11:41 AM
I've been into DnD and other official games since I was...17 I think. I started roleplaying, however, at 15 on a free-form chat. :) My boyfriend had introduced me to DnD but I discovered roleplaying itself long before. I'd been interested in DnD just didn't know anyone who played it until him.

My first REAL gaming group was all guys. It was basically me, and the three guys who formed the band I managed (summer after high school), we'd all been friends awhile. We eventually grew to 6 regulars, all male but me, with three other females joining the mix every now and again, but rarely (my sister, one of their sisters, and a girlfriend). We also had two guys who would periodically show up (my boyfriend when he had visited, and a roommate). The group I may end up joining soon is also all male as far as I can tell.

As for creepy guys in stores, the gaming store near me is pretty good about that. Really sweet guys work there. The only 'problem' I had was when the shops dog (yes, a real canine, this is not a euphimism) decided it just HAD to sniff up my skirt...>>' That was weird.

But that is also why I stay away from gatherings. ;) Doesn't help they pretty much NEVER do tabletop DnD. Only magic and boardgames and stuff. :smallfrown:

Cheers,
Syka

Zephra
2007-07-17, 11:54 AM
dnd lady players aren't a myth. but we're much rarer, that's for sure.

elliott20
2007-07-17, 12:07 PM
in my experience, most hobby shops has too much of a mess of bad hygiene to really work for a lot of my female friends. (I'm not kidding. stay in the hobby shop I used to go to for a couple hours and you get all sorts of BO smells cropping up)

on the other hand, when we had a game in someone else's (usually, one of the player's) apartment, you'll see one or two regulars.

Magnvo
2007-07-17, 02:00 PM

I have a... well, it isn't small... ok, screw it, I have a 3,000 point Imperial Guard army. I've been playing Warhammer 40,000 since 2000. Only met one other female tabletop wargamer.

As far as female D&D players, I've seen quite a few of them. I'd never play with most of them ever again because they were the kind of people I'd expect to write yaoi fan fiction, but I've seen a few.

GusGusStrumSong
2007-07-17, 02:03 PM
I've only known 1 female D&D player. though i've never had a campaign with her.

Einkil
2007-07-17, 02:31 PM
ok.. i se that they ar eno myths.. mostly they are legends XD...
mm.. I see that here are a lot of them, thats nice... is not the same with only man..

Ok thanks for the answers, im a little less ignorant know :D

nerulean
2007-07-17, 05:47 PM
I started playing D&D when I was ... sixteen? Seventeen? Something like that. I had a group of seven people my age, with only two guys in it.

Of course, since then it has evened out somewhat. Now I play in a different group of seven with three girls, two of whom are under twenty, one of whom is in her early twenties.

Yeril
2007-07-17, 05:53 PM
Moving on from that extreme sarcasm, I'm a teenager, and yes I play AD&D. So no, we're not a myth, we're just hiding. :smalltongue:

I have a +9 modifier to spot and only a +1 mod to listen and I hear girls play D&D more often than I see it. :smallfrown:

I dont know why but this thread reminds me of a old houserule I used that gave elves a +2 Racial bonus on checks related to sexual advances against humans or half elves.

ahh the good old Sexy bonus!

It got my sorcerer a free bottle of wine off the barmaid aswell as a free nights stay at the tavern. of course she helped my Sorcerer drink the wine and spend the night in the tavern

Anyway what was I talking about?

North
2007-07-17, 06:47 PM
yeah I see a lot of female gamers on the board here. In life ... not so much. Me and my friends have tried getting our girlfriends/workfriends involved and one has bitten. The most has been when the DMs gf rolled the dice for himcuz she was sitting on him. Thats the most Ive seen.

ArchivesNinja
2007-07-17, 07:41 PM
...Of course, since then it has evened out somewhat. Now I play in a different group of seven with three girls, two of whom are under twenty, one of whom is in her early twenties.

This is starting to make me feel like an old woman... :smalleek: :smalltongue:

Syka
2007-07-17, 07:53 PM
I think what happens is we are many, but we are so spread out. In each town you could probably find at least one female gamer if there are gamers at all there. The problem is, we never find each other. :smallfrown: None of my female friends play tabletop games nor are they the slightest bit interested.

Cheers,
Syka

Yiel
2007-07-17, 08:59 PM
I think what happens is we are many, but we are so spread out. In each town you could probably find at least one female gamer if there are gamers at all there. The problem is, we never find each other. :smallfrown: None of my female friends play tabletop games nor are they the slightest bit interested.

Cheers,
Syka

Move over here! We have three girls in our gaming group (one is the current DM too) :smallbiggrin: Serpentine is only seven hours drive away too.... well seven hours, bad roads and several teeny tiny towns.

JellyPooga
2007-07-17, 09:07 PM
Serpentine is only seven hours drive away too.... (emphasis mine)

You make that sound like a short distance...if I drove for 7 hours in any given direction I would probably be in the sea...ah the beauty of living in the UK :smalltongue:

Penguinsushi
2007-07-17, 09:26 PM
Move over here! We have three girls in our gaming group (one is the current DM too) :smallbiggrin: Serpentine is only seven hours drive away too.... well seven hours, bad roads and several teeny tiny towns.

Now, that's the bit that I think is less common. I've known lots of female gamers - but none of them have been regular gm's. *shrugs* maybe us guys get more out of the 'power trip' (and thus, don't let the ladies have it)? :smallwink:

~PS

Serpentine
2007-07-17, 10:09 PM
(emphasis mine)

You make that sound like a short distance...if I drove for 7 hours in any given direction I would probably be in the sea...ah the beauty of living in the UK :smalltongue:
Well, it's about 12 hours to my old hometown, and if I were to visit Death, it would be at least several days solid driving (as in, several lots of 24 hours).

I'm DMing at the moment! Unfortunately work got on top of me something awful last semester so I've fallen behind in my planning... :smallsigh:

Oh, and in my group there's two other girls, one of whom is also a LARPer. Her female friend/housemate also plays both, and we all had our first game together with a female DM. Oh, and my female housemate plays, too, and there's at least one other female player in her group - another friend, known as Repunzle.
Soooo yeah. Not much of a shortage over here... It's a university town, that probably helps.

Hell Puppi
2007-07-17, 10:31 PM
I am a lady D&D player, and I know of at least 4 other lady players.
I've also DM'ed and homebrewed my own games.:smallbiggrin:
*waves little flag for self*

Aramil Liadon
2007-07-18, 02:20 AM
I refuse! I shall not submit to this foolishness!

Were the beings in question to exist, there would be evidence. Evidence, I hasten to add, which I lack. Thus the onlyillogical conclusion is that they are a legend, or the fundamental laws of the universe are hiding them. Either way, it effectively leads us to the same conclusion: The gamer genome is doomed to a fatal death!

I feel so unscholarly.

Quincunx
2007-07-18, 07:08 AM
I balked at the expense of wargaming, to be honest. D&D, pencil and a minor outlay for dice (alright, and slightly more than necessary spent on making a custom dice bag--I really miss that stupid bag) and I was good to go. Wargaming pre-MageKnight, even the simplest setup cost more than I was willing to wager on liking it. Now I live reasonably close to a supply of figurine-MAKING materials, which is good and inexpensive, but don't have the rule sets to go with the molds! Can't win. . .Say, where would I plop a thread about casting your own figurines?

Charity
2007-07-18, 08:06 AM
Are you casting them in Lead/Tin?

I can only suggest keeping the moulds hot in the oven first to ensure you get full coverage... and I guess arts and crafts.

Hang on I'm talking to a myth...

Good morning myth itth nith to make your aquaintanth.
*tipth hat*

Triggerhappy938
2007-07-18, 08:37 AM
*Watches a unicorn fly by on a dragon* Eh, it could happen...

EmeraldRose
2007-07-18, 08:57 AM
Let's see...As far as Wargaming goes, I'm not a player. I have played, and I know the rules, and my husband keeps trying to get me to play (he has several Warhammer Fantasy armies), but it's not really my thing. I've watched probably a million of his games and other people's games, and I know the rules better than a lot of them I think...:smallamused: But...eh...just not all that interested.

I'll paint the minis though.

I paint DnD minis, I play DnD, I've played Werewolf, Mage:the Ascension, a few other WhiteWolf games, Over the Edge, various D20 systems, and your random board games.

I'm also a PC gamer.

I married my DM, and our 4 year old son has 'helped' his dad paint Lizardmen, and has his own giant d20s.

Delaney Gale
2007-07-18, 09:09 AM
-considers self-

-considers anatomy-

-considers how often she swears about 32C bras being far too expensive*-

I guess I count? ^__^

*I would much rather have the Complete Scoundrel than a bra, if it wasn't for the heinously-uncomfortable-without-one bit. Maybe if I had the Complete Scoundrel I could learn a skill trick that would allow me to get bras for cheap?

Charity
2007-07-18, 09:21 AM
^ I guess someone might swap you.

TreesOfDeath
2007-07-18, 09:31 AM
Their not rare, but their an endagarded specie protected by the RSPCG

Quincunx
2007-07-18, 09:34 AM
You could find 'em? Maybe I was just refusing to look outside of the cheap section. . .ah well, nothing buying 36s and a few minutes of sewing couldn't fix.

nerulean
2007-07-18, 09:38 AM
This is starting to make me feel like an old woman... :smalleek: :smalltongue:

We are a university gaming group. :smallwink:

Although apparently we're an unusual one. Almost as many female regulars as male ones, and you're more likely to see a female DM than a male one.

Elanya
2007-07-18, 09:44 AM
Yay for me too then!

I DM D&D, I play D&D, I write homebrew, which I then DM in turns with some others and in all groups (between 2 and 5, depending on the time of year) there are women :smallbiggrin:

AND I have never met a creepy gamer guy! Maybe because we have awesome stores here that are clean and well kept and don't put up with **** like that, or something.

Creepy non-gamer guys on the other hand...:smalleek:

Solmage
2007-07-18, 10:03 AM
After reading this thread (I apparently missed the previous one mentioned earlier) I am quite surprised. I know many girls/women who play/played a roleplaying commercial 'mud' originally based on Rolemaster, but I don't know them in person; rather they're located all over the US for the most part.

However.. female-only D&D groups exist.. Huh. Hum... where should I move to? :smalltongue: Sure would be nice to meet a girls who did not think it, at best, a pointless waste of time. :smallwink:

Now, the original poster did mention something about giving it a try in spanish. Let's see if I can't oblige, heh.

Vamos a ver que tanto recuerdo de escribir en espanol. Lamento no tener a mi disposicion acentos o 'enes', pero en fin..

Parece que hay muchas mas jugadoras de lo que pense. Lastima que no conozemos a ninguna en persona, eh?

Ok, let's hope that wasn't too bad! Anyway, back to lurking! :smallcool:

Saithis Bladewing
2007-07-18, 10:06 AM
Well, 3/5 members of my first gaming group were female, then it dropped to 2/4, went to 2/6, then it went to 3/6 and was that way for about 2 1/2 years before I moved over here. I'm working on gathering a group together here, I've got 2 guys now and I'm DMing, but one says he knows a girl who would be interested in playing (she plays tabletop at the local Games Workshop), so if she joins that'll make it 2/4.

So on average, I've had close to half of my group as female.

Madmal
2007-07-18, 10:13 AM
well, roleplaying is quite rare on Latin America, as far as i know...

but well, i've gamed with two girls. not much else i can say, because my gaming group rarely meets, and when they do, it's mostly 3-4 people (DM, me, Dm's little cousin and 1 of the two aftermentioned girls).

so i can't contribute much to this topic:smalltongue:

Alarra
2007-07-18, 11:48 AM
Oooh, can I have a unicorn. *chases the unicorn, but it's faster than her* *comes back discouraged*

I'm a girl.
I game.
At times have played: D&D and warmachine and magic and Game of Thrones and Mage and Exalted and Nobilis and WoW and Anachronism and Spoils and.... *wanders off looking at her gaming shelf....*

Ahem. My first gaming group, way back in the day, when I was like 9....consisted of 3 girls and 3 guys, and the DM's alternated between 2 people, one a guy, one a girl. Admittedly, at this point it was a 'neighborhood' game, being run by my friends parents and the 6 of us were 3 sets of siblings.

Every group since? I've been the only girl.

Lex Sandar
2007-07-18, 03:17 PM
In my own experience, female gamers are only slightly less common than male gamers. However all male gaming groups seem to be more common than all female groups. A lot of this I'm pretty sure is due to some gamers being rather...off putting to any females, whether gamer or not.

In LARP, if anything there are usually slightly more females than males, not less, at least from my own experience.

In tabletop games, well...the first game I DMed was 50/50, and that seems about right for the majority of other games I've played in...but not all. Only rarely have I seen more females than males in a game...although it does occasionally happen. However, while acting as president of the local gaming organization, I did notice that aside from my own group and another, most of the other groups had a noticeable tendency towards more males...or no females at all. On the other hand, the one other was all but one female with a female GM who was creating both her own setting and own game system...as well as working on a novel set in that setting.

On the various comments about ladies prefering games other than D&D...that varies. I've known some who refused to play anything else. (One of whom claimed d10 was too complex...while playing AD&D 2nd ed, that's a laugh)
Most I've played with have been willing to play a variety of systems, and often started with some form of D&D...although some were first drawn into the embrace of the gamer community by LARPing.

As for the sterotype that gamer girls are only recruited by boyfriends, husbands or what have you...that's pure BS. The majority of female gamers I've known joined because they were interested themselves...and usually with groups not including a SO...though often someone in the group and they eventually became involved...that was something later, usually years later, and not a part of the attraction to the game. Most times I've seen someone try to bring an uninterested SO to game, it's been a mistake, and not generally a repeated mistake. Sure, bring an SO of either gender to game if they are interested...but if they aren't let them stay home, please.

Logic
2007-07-18, 03:31 PM
I have known far too many sexist male DMs to understand part of the reason fewer females are interested in more geeky activities than males.

That being said, one of my gaming groups used to be 5 females and 3 males, and another group I know of was 4 females and one male DM.

Penguinsushi
2007-07-18, 03:58 PM
Ahem. My first gaming group, way back in the day, when I was like 9....consisted of 3 girls and 3 guys, and the DM's alternated between 2 people, one a guy, one a girl. Admittedly, at this point it was a 'neighborhood' game, being run by my friends parents and the 6 of us were 3 sets of siblings.

That sounds pretty cool to me, actually...

~PS

Triggerhappy938
2007-07-19, 12:05 AM
In all seriousness, now. I really haven't found female gamers that unbelievable. Though they are rare, and their rarity does seem to vary on a region by region basis. There are even stereotypical catagories of the female gamer, though less well known than their male counterparts. Everything from the "I'm here for the male attention" Gamerette to the "It's just like my fanfic!" Gameresse. Though, just like the Male's Fatbeards and Munchkins, these stereotypes do not encompass the entire populace, but are fun to make fun of.

AtomicKitKat
2007-07-19, 09:41 AM
So I decided to take a trip to a different FGS after work yesterday, and lo and behold, the lady behind the counter there is both taller and (arguably) prettier than the one who mans my usual FLGS(granted, the one at said FLGS has her own nerd appeal, but the height!:smalleek: ). I picked up a copy of Doug Shuler's Sketchbook(wonderful B&W sketches that should help inspire me), and thought about picking up BESM 3.0(first time I've even seen the series I think), but at $80 local(around US$50-60), it's a little rich for my(normally rather spend-thrift) blood. Interestingly, on my way out, I pass a shop(more like a wall display, really) selling "Voodoo dolls"(technically, I passed it on the way IN as well. These dolls are basically yarn figurines imported from Taiwan. I wasn't sure whether I wanted one, they're kind of creepy, and my keychain is a little crowded), and the girl in charge is not too bad looking. Lo and behold, I wander over to where she sits(while she was standing up and probably trying to seduce some poor sap to buy one of those dolls :smallwink:), look down, and see the title of the book she's reading: "The Pin-up Art of Bill Ward." I almost literally said "LOL".:smallbiggrin:

Edit:

-considers self-

-considers anatomy-

-considers how often she swears about 32C bras being far too expensive*-

I guess I count? ^__^

*I would much rather have the Complete Scoundrel than a bra, if it wasn't for the heinously-uncomfortable-without-one bit. Maybe if I had the Complete Scoundrel I could learn a skill trick that would allow me to get bras for cheap?

You should have bought Complete Scoundrel, then used it for "support"! Win-win! You could probably even have sold it after that for more than you bought it. Triple Win. :smallbiggrin:

Bardic Bunny
2007-07-19, 10:34 AM
We are a university gaming group. :smallwink:

We, ArchivesNinja, Penguinsushi, Llama, myself, and a couple of others, were a college gaming group.
Perhaps it is that making the ArchivesNinja feel old. ( However she IS older than I am! :smallwink: )

ArchivesNinja
2007-07-19, 10:37 AM
We, ArchivesNinja, Penguinsushi, Llama, myself, and a couple of others, were a college gaming group.
Perhaps it is that making the ArchivesNinja feel old. ( However she IS older than I am! :smallwink: )

A month! :smalltongue:

Though compared to some of you all, we got a late start on the gaming thing. That college group is where everyone but PenguinSushi got their first taste of dice-rolling. :smallsmile:

Jaguira
2007-07-19, 12:07 PM
We're as reclusive as we are beautiful, is all :smallwink:

Kinda like unicorns, but with boobs :smallbiggrin:

Charity
2007-07-19, 12:12 PM
We're as reclusive as we are beautiful, is all :smallwink:

Kinda like unicorns, but with boobs :smallbiggrin:

http://works.artsig.com/works/93/15/51593-thumb.jpg

dehro
2007-07-19, 01:21 PM
http://works.artsig.com/works/93/15/51593-thumb.jpg

ewww... disturbing:smalleek:

brilliant...Kudos.

Well, my wife and sister were both brought into D&D by the older brothers. My wife at 18 and my sister at 13.

Strangely, I started out on Vampire the Masquerade (as did my sister) and there were more girls playing that than boys.

getting to play a character that oozes sensuality, sex appeal and general coolness...and is way stronger than the average male "and get away with it"...

how is that strange??

I'll just say that in Italy we have a kind of online rpg not unlike d&d and very often based on the same set of rules..(http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46019 for reference )and since they're online, they attract men and woman alike, of every age, I actually know some 40+ ladies and one that has 4 children and has tought the whole lot to play.
Let me point out that it is not surprising to find a lot of female d&d players on a forum mainly dedicated to d&d and what surrounds it...
"throw a brick and you'll hit one" should have been the answer

I'll also be the one to speak the words that quite some of you, I'm sure (I'm referring to the boys here) have had on the tip of their langue but are unwilling to utter for fear of the female forumites taking offence:
"there might be players of the female persuasion, but most of them need an ID to prove it, there's never a hot chick in the parties I play in"
I'll be honest... it is broadly speaking true especially here in Italy, but only broadly, and it's the same with male players, I'm told.
I've seen, known or played with quite a few exceptions to the former statement, so I guess that there is a reason for a gamus lecheraii to evolve, appart from personal issues and pimples. :smallbiggrin:

Longshanks
2007-07-19, 01:23 PM
I've known plenty of "lady gamers" who weren't older, and some who were... imagination knows no age.

Hell Puppi
2007-07-19, 03:04 PM
Hmmm I played warhammer for a while, but it was with a tomb kings army that a friend let me have. I'm more interested in painting the miniatures than actually playing. I'm not much of a rule-nazi, so I tend to fail at games like magic and warhammer.
Not that I don't have fun. Usually I just stick in creatures I like and try to be as annoying as possible. When my friends and I used to do magic tournaments they bought me a low-cut shirt that said 'distraction' and asked me kindly to stand behind them/lean over their shoulder.
Hm don't know of many other girls that I saw playing tabletop miniatures games, but I'm pretty sure they're out there somewhere....

Side note: we're a protected sepcies?!?! Sweet! Does that mean no one can move me from where I decide to live?

Rama_Lei
2007-07-19, 03:35 PM
My D&D group is primarily female. The girly-est character was mine... 1 is 15 and 3 are 18.

Khayankh
2007-07-19, 07:52 PM
Yay, I'm a myth! *squee* Yep, I'm a squee-er. I did D&D for a little while, but I'm in high school, I don't have a lot of free time, and next year most of my group will graduate, so I won't be gaming in a few months except for computer stuff. :smallfrown: I wish I could do Vampire the Masquerade, it looks like great fun. Unfortunately they only admit people over the age of 18, and as I'm a non-drinker I'm not buying a fake ID solely for role playing.
@ Delaney: Getting bras when you are thin and have large boobs is a pain in the rear. Unfortunately for you, I'm not particularly sympathetic because I'm good friends with a 32D. (She buys bras from a specialty shop online, apparently...) As for me, any summer day on which I'm actually wearing a bra (instead of wearing a bathingsuit and swimming) is essentially a wasted day. *loves ocean with entire soul* You should try the beach sometime, it is the amazing.

Being literal: As a matter of fact my initial response to the thread topic was Yeah, I don't know of any 'players' (slang for flashy, attractive guys who manipulate women) who play D&D, all the D&D guys I know personally are decent fellows whom I'd walk home with in the dark. So while I've heard of lecherous gamers, I've never had cause for concern. My local gaming store is run by a family: Mr. and Mrs. X and Amy X (adolescent girl). They have a little boy, too, Taylor X (who doesn't help out much), and they've got quite a few employees, but anybody who'd behave inappropriately towards women (especially around Amy and her mom) would get fired with astounding rapidity.

Syka
2007-07-19, 08:37 PM
Here here to bathing suits being used as bras. :smallsmile: Much more comfy. Not always flattering under a shirt, but much more comfortable.

And your making me jealous. Back home, I live near the beach. But at school I'm hours away. :smallfrown:

Cheers,
Syka

Midnight Son
2007-07-19, 08:56 PM
@ Delaney: Getting bras when you are thin and have large boobs is a pain in the rear.I'm a guy, and thus no expert on the subject, but I think that you may be wearing them wrong.:smallwink:

Bardic Bunny
2007-07-19, 10:17 PM
I'm a guy, and thus no expert on the subject, but I think that you may be wearing them wrong.:smallwink:

That was awesome!--I laughed so hard that my eyes teared up. Thank you for making the 'I just got off work' happy feeling a little funnier!

Delaney Gale
2007-07-20, 04:23 PM
As for me, any summer day on which I'm actually wearing a bra (instead of wearing a bathingsuit and swimming) is essentially a wasted day. *loves ocean with entire soul* You should try the beach sometime, it is the amazing.

Heh, I hail from the Great Lakes state, so I know and love lounging on the beach... but I currently live in a desert :smallyuk:

I'm a guy, and thus no expert on the subject, but I think that you may be wearing them wrong.

*shiftyeyes* IS there are way to wear a bra wrong? Or, a better question, a way to wear a bra wrong that you wouldn't immediately notice?

Midnight Son
2007-07-20, 04:41 PM
*shiftyeyes* IS there are way to wear a bra wrong? Or, a better question, a way to wear a bra wrong that you wouldn't immediately notice?Any time your bra is causing a pain in your rear, I'm assuming you've got it on wrong. Like I said, I'm no expert on the comfortability of ladies underwear. On the aesthetics of it?..Yes, but not on the comfort.

EmeraldRose
2007-07-20, 06:27 PM
Any time your bra is causing a pain in your rear, I'm assuming you've got it on wrong. Like I said, I'm no expert on the comfortability of ladies underwear. On the aesthetics of it?..Yes, but not on the comfort.

If a bra is causing a pain in the rear....it may just be situated in the wrong place...:smallwink:

And now back to your regularly scheduled program! [/announcer]

Rama_Lei
2007-07-20, 07:42 PM
I'm a guy, and thus no expert on the subject, but I think that you may be wearing them wrong.:smallwink:

If you are a girl and your bra doesn't fit, it's going to be uncomfortable. If you are a boy and your bra doesn't fit, I'm going to be uncomfortable.

BardicMyth
2007-07-20, 07:49 PM

Skaven army for the past 7 years, loves eating Chaos for lunch then feeding the bones to my thousands of little pink ratlings laying in wait to rise to the surface to join their ancestors.

*clears throat*Ummm...yeah...*winks*

Midnight Son
2007-07-20, 09:04 PM
If you are a girl and your bra doesn't fit, it's going to be uncomfortable. If you are a boy and your bra doesn't fit, I'm going to be uncomfortable.As opposed to if I'm a boy and my bra does fit?:smallbiggrin:

AtomicKitKat
2007-07-20, 09:13 PM
I know some people have a little too much garbage in their large clothes box, but using a bra to support it? Hmm...:smallwink:

Yiel
2007-07-20, 10:52 PM
Men don't wear Bras.

They wear "The Bro".

EmeraldRose
2007-07-20, 11:03 PM
Ah yes...the Manzier...:smallamused:

On topic....I've also DMd before, and apparently I'm going to do some more...probably GURPs.

Hell Puppi
2007-07-21, 12:52 AM
...I've seen some men who could use the support.:smallamused:

paigeoliver
2007-07-21, 01:02 AM
My group is 3 girls and 3 guys. It is a lot more fun that way.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v92/theboobookitty/?action=view&current=P4250020.jpg

Magnvo
2007-07-21, 02:41 AM
As opposed to if I'm a boy and my bra does fit?:smallbiggrin:

Well some guys have some extra hormonal baggage. I'm not here to judge, if I wanted to do that, I'd go down to the Games Workshop and give out free "I Beat Anorexia" shirts.* Back to the topic at hand, rarely any female D&D player sightings on this front but I have met one on another forum I frequent.

* = I have nothing against people who are large, I apologize if I offend anyone. I myself could be considered chubby, but I prefer the term "fluffy." Kudos to whoever gets the reference, too.

bosssmiley
2007-07-21, 06:24 AM
...I've seen some men who could use the support.:smallamused:

*Bleuch!!!* :smallyuk:

On-topic (no more man-boob talk, please?!):
current group: 5 gamers, of which 1 'real' girl gamer, 1 'gamer's gf' girl gamer. Girl gamers *do* exist, they just disguise it better than we do. :smallwink:

Hell Puppi
2007-07-22, 12:24 AM
I disguise nothing!!!

Then again, it's me. :smallwink: