PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Magus (PEACH)

Outliar
2016-12-20, 03:30 PM
I made this class a while ago and just put it up on homebrewery
The Magus (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SJvQeZL4l)

If anyone has any suggestions or comments I'd love to hear them.

Llama513
2016-12-20, 03:41 PM
I made this class a while ago and just put it up on homebrewery
The Magus (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/edit/ryeD7x-LNx)

If anyone has any suggestions or comments I'd love to hear them.
I will look over the class later, but you may want to change the link to the share link at the moment its a link that lets you edit the document

Outliar
2016-12-20, 04:05 PM
Thanks
Changed

Llama513
2016-12-20, 06:13 PM
This is a very interesting take on Magus, I have never seen a full caster magus before, I like the idea, but it does not really scream magus to me, but then again when I think of magus my thought goes to a half caster, with martial weapons, that they use as their spell books, I really like what you are doing though, having a spell bomb of sorts as the way that they cast spells.

The Maestrums are a really cool idea, what I would do is to allow them a set number of maestrums like you have done, but I would have these work more as a rune that they place on an item that they can unleash the power stored in during that day, and then have them cast normally, as I feel not having anyway to cast spells besides your cantrips would be stifling and frustrating, beyond that I really love the idea of what you are going for with this class

It would also be a good idea to tell how often your maestrums are reset, cause at the moment I don't believe you say that, I would recommend going with short rest with the number of uses that you have right now, if you don't add the ability to cast spells normally

JNAProductions
2016-12-20, 07:54 PM
Right, so you know how the Warlock caps at 5th level spells, and only gets one of each 6-9 slots?

There's a reason for that.

Flashy
2016-12-20, 08:40 PM
Agreed with JNA. The option to cast four 9th level spells a day is three too many.

Also, I'I not sure how I feel about the maestrum system. If you're concentrating on say expeditious retreat you have to drop that concentration to cast ANY other spell? That feels too punishing at lower levels.

JNAProductions
2016-12-20, 08:46 PM
Agreed with JNA. The option to cast four 9th level spells a day is three too many.

Also, I'I not sure how I feel about the maestrum system. If you're concentrating on say expeditious retreat you have to drop that concentration to cast ANY other spell? That feels too punishing at lower levels.

How are you getting 4? I'm seeing 6.

Outliar
2016-12-20, 08:54 PM
Thanks for all the comments everyone, I'll edit the class a bit.

But I think you should only be able to cast 1 9th level spell per day. Maestrums can only hold up to level 5 spells (at high levels) unless you use enhanced maestrum to increase their size. The absolute maximum you can increase a maestrum by through enhanced maestrum is 4 (so to a size of 9 allowing you to cast 9th level spells), but you can only do that once per day.
Also it uses up all your enhanced maestrum points so you can't cast 6th, 7th, or 8th level spells. That was my way of balancing it.

At least that's how its supposed to be designed.

Llama513
2016-12-20, 08:55 PM

But I think you should only be able to cast 1 9th level spell per day. Maestrums can only hold up to level 5 spells (at high levels) unless you use enhanced maestrum to increase their size. The absolute maximum you can increase a maestrum by through enhanced maestrum is 4 (so to a size of 9 allowing you to cast 9th level spells), but you can only do that once per day.

That's how I saw it working

JNAProductions
2016-12-20, 08:58 PM

The way it's actually written, one of two things occurs:

1) You can cast any spell level without putting it in a Maestrum first, allowing you to cast 6 9th level spells per day.

2) You cannot cast spells, only put them in Maesturms, meaning you can never cast any spell higher than 5th level.

Llama513
2016-12-20, 09:01 PM

1) You can cast any spell level without putting it in a Maestrum first, allowing you to cast 6 9th level spells per day.

2) You cannot cast spells, only put them in Maesturms, meaning you can never cast any spell higher than 5th level.

You cannot cast spells, only putting the in Maesturms, but you can once a day increase the size of the Maesturms, at max up to 9th level. You clearly didn't read through the class closely, as that is very plainly stated

Outliar
2016-12-20, 09:02 PM

It's supposed to be the 2nd one except that you can use enhanced maestrum to increase their size sometimes.

EDIT: ninja'd

JNAProductions
2016-12-20, 09:07 PM
The issue is, you have to be concentrating on a Maestrum at the time. You cannot put a 9th level slot into a Maestrum unless it's already been enhanced, but to enhance it, there needs to be a spell in there, meaning you cap out at 8th level slots.

Outliar
2016-12-20, 09:10 PM
The issue is, you have to be concentrating on a Maestrum at the time. You cannot put a 9th level slot into a Maestrum unless it's already been enhanced, but to enhance it, there needs to be a spell in there, meaning you cap out at 8th level slots.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. I'll go fix it, thanks.