PDA

View Full Version : What would you do in this situation

Trask
2016-12-20, 04:54 PM
I just ran a session of D&D for my group and they got ambushed in the dungeon b a bunch of goblins lead by an ogre. One of the players had a spider animal companion who was engaging the goblins when it got critically hit by one of them at half health and died. The player was sad because the companion was sort of part of his backstory but they have it a burial and moved on.

A few days later the player texts me to say that he messed up and the spider should have had more AC than it did and asks if that would have affected the crit confirmation.

We play on fantasy grounds so I could go back and look at the rolls, and when I did the AC would have mattered. But I really don't like backtracking something especially after the session is over and they all had a little funeral RP but I also don't want to be mean.

Should I just retcon the death, or say sorry the session is over or just use DM smoke and mirrors to say sorry the goblin still hit that AC.

Thanks.

Beneath
2016-12-20, 05:21 PM
I personally favor seeing characters develop based on the circumstances they run into, and it would be retconning away a big RP scene for the spider to be alive.

If it is alive, it should come back in a dramatic reveal later after being presumed dead, but if that wouldn't work for what you already established as canon, then don't.

If the goblin's crit was a math error, you can pay the player back by giving them an adjustment for better luck when they need it soon (in 5e, that'd be something like starting the session inspired), or you can go "nope, your fictional pet's dead because you did your math wrong", though the latter might leave them inclined to err in their own favor in the future.

The counterpoint to all this, the two reasons I can see to retcon the spider back alive, are, 1, if conflicts between dice and world description are to be resolved in favor of the dice as a rule (because that's what you'd be doing, retconning world description you've already spent time playing out because of a misread die), or 2, if this game is about giving the players what they want, if it's specifically a gentle game (as opposed to a gritty one); if the players are young this might be a good option but you'd be surprised at how dark what some kids can come up with on their own is.

IShouldntBehere
2016-12-20, 05:37 PM
The Spider is gone, literally dead and buried. Statute of limitations on getting misquoting your AC is approximately 1 round of combat.

Segev
2016-12-20, 05:37 PM
I would examine the backstory element that brought the spider into the character's service, and see if there's anything there you can mine for interesting fodder. Preferably something positive rather than more sorrow over its death.

As for this situation...no. It's been too long. Nobody cheated on purpose; things happen. This level of retcon is generally not healthy for the game.

Aschlafly
2016-12-20, 06:13 PM
Statute of limitations as the others have said ... but next time they break camp, (OwO, or should I say '✤w✤') what's this? There's something strange, sticky, and globular in the ranger's pack. Turns out the spider laid eggs, and one of them is viable.

Not only will he get a background-relevant spider companion back in time without you having to retcon stuff, but you have - in the meantime - some potential for fun RP with him rearing it.

Freed
2016-12-20, 06:13 PM
-Don't retcon it. It's a spider, and the pet of aspiring hero, right? Have Lloth (or some other spidey-diety) offer to bring it back in return for a later favor. No retcon, player gets to keep spider, and you get a free plot hook! Wins All 'round!

JNAProductions
2016-12-20, 06:15 PM
General good advice here. I definitely agree it's been too long for a retcon, unless it's a rather light-hearted and unserious game which it does not sound like.

I like the egg idea.

Trask
2016-12-20, 08:42 PM
Thanks, I just told the player that it was too late. He took it fine, and is just gonna search for another animal companion. I established that any retcons should be made in the same session, and preferable soon after it happens.

Stealth Marmot
2016-12-21, 01:30 PM
Should I just retcon the death, or say sorry the session is over or just use DM smoke and mirrors to say sorry the goblin still hit that AC.

Thanks.

It's your option, but backtracking THAT much would be counterproductive. If you feel bad, help the player get a new animal companion a little easier and quicker.

Hopeless
2016-12-21, 02:35 PM
Forgive me but didn't you say they critically hit it?

Unless you kept good enough records to go back to double check if any of the other blows might have missed I'd have to say the critical still stands even an AC increase isn't going to effect a natural 20 now if it should have been at disadvantage when that blow landed and you didn't roll it at a disadvantage then that might change things.

Ultimately its your game would it hurt if he found another spider companion?

Strigon
2016-12-21, 03:46 PM
Forgive me but didn't you say they critically hit it?

Unless you kept good enough records to go back to double check if any of the other blows might have missed I'd have to say the critical still stands even an AC increase isn't going to effect a natural 20 now if it should have been at disadvantage when that blow landed and you didn't roll it at a disadvantage then that might change things.

Eh, depends on the crit range, doesn't it?

2016-12-21, 04:00 PM
-Don't retcon it. It's a spider, and the pet of aspiring hero, right? Have Lloth (or some other spidey-diety) offer to bring it back in return for a later favor. No retcon, player gets to keep spider, and you get a free plot hook! Wins All 'round!

Dues Ex Machina is the best solution! :smallbiggrin:

Eh, depends on the crit range, doesn't it?

Depends on the edition. In 5e, if you roll in your critical range, the AC you're attacking could be 10 billion, and you still got a critical hit, because criticals auto-hit in 5e. In 3.5, if it's a nat 20 it's a hit either way, although wider crit ranges may differ depending on AC.

Stealth Marmot
2016-12-22, 12:25 AM
Dues Ex Machina is the best solution! :smallbiggrin:

Except this Deus is one that is psychotic and capricious to the point of insanity. So...best for the DM at least.

And Might I say having Ghost Rider Pony as your avatar is ever so lovely. I too am a fan of Nostalgia Critic.

redfeline
2016-12-22, 12:34 AM
Don't Retcon, in my opinion the players need to remember their own bonuses and stats and such this is a learning opportunity.

That said if you feel it was unfair, find a way for them to resurrect the spider or even reincarnate it. "Oh animals are easy to bring back, there souls are smaller you see. So yeah 10,000 gold diamond dust isn't needed, 100 should do it easily." From there they can go on a quest to find some one willing to "waste" his time on a spider. So the story advance from the injustice.

Mystral
2016-12-22, 02:41 AM
I just ran a session of D&D for my group and they got ambushed in the dungeon b a bunch of goblins lead by an ogre. One of the players had a spider animal companion who was engaging the goblins when it got critically hit by one of them at half health and died. The player was sad because the companion was sort of part of his backstory but they have it a burial and moved on.

A few days later the player texts me to say that he messed up and the spider should have had more AC than it did and asks if that would have affected the crit confirmation.

We play on fantasy grounds so I could go back and look at the rolls, and when I did the AC would have mattered. But I really don't like backtracking something especially after the session is over and they all had a little funeral RP but I also don't want to be mean.

Thanks.Two possible ways:

1: Tell the player that you're sorry he messed up, but you won't retcon something like this when it is not your own fault. But tell him that he'll soon get a replacement pet as consolation. Then, see to make that happen.

2: The players mistakenly buried the spider which was on the verge of death, but survived and clawed it's way out of its grave. Have it come back after a few days of limping after the party. (If they held a fire burial, this is obviously not viable). Some might say this is a retcon, but how often have DMs pulled the good old "nearly dead, but still returning for more villain" on their parties?

Also, tell your players that they are responsible for their own mistakes and that there will be no more retcons.

hifidelity2
2016-12-22, 04:58 AM

This is the one I would probably use, esp if the party ( and / or player) is good

or

It was not dead just hibernating to heal and will find its way back to the party

Darth Ultron
2016-12-22, 07:50 AM
I'd let it stand, and tell the player to keep track of things in the future.

But, I also love a good story.........

So I would not be above having the SpiderLord come to the character and offer a chance to go save ''fllufy's'' spirit from the Beastlands...in exchange for something. Sounds like fun to me....

Jay R
2016-12-22, 08:32 AM
If it were my game, the spider is dead, and he'd play without it a couple of sessions.

Then, some new version would come in, that it not the same, but is at least as much fun to play. A bigger or cooler spider. A favor from Lloth for being a spider-friend. An NPC spider shows up who isn't an animal companion, just a friend.

But I wouldn't just replace it as it was, or what happens in adventures doesn't matter.

2016-12-22, 01:52 PM
Except this Deus is one that is psychotic and capricious to the point of insanity. So...best for the DM at least.

And Might I say having Ghost Rider Pony as your avatar is ever so lovely. I too am a fan of Nostalgia Critic.

Thanks! :smallbiggrin: previously had a zombie-Fluttershy, then realized "if I'm gonna Death Pony, why not Ghost Pony Rider?", and thus it was made so. :smallbiggrin:

Stealth Marmot
2016-12-22, 01:54 PM
Thanks! :smallbiggrin: previously had a zombie-Fluttershy, then realized "if I'm gonna Death Pony, why not Ghost Pony Rider?", and thus it was made so. :smallbiggrin:

Is there ANYTHING that can not be made better with flaming skulls?

2016-12-22, 03:26 PM
Is there ANYTHING that can not be made better with flaming skulls?

Not in my opinion. :smalltongue: Flaming skulls make everything better.