PDA

View Full Version : Wizard/Swashbuckler Gish

Behold_the_Void
2007-07-17, 12:42 AM
So, I've been toying with a character idea of a Wizard/Fighter gish, only instead of using a Fighter, instead take a Swashbuckler up to level 3 for Insightful Strike. The stats would be pretty much exactly the same as they would be for a wizard build, prioritize Intelligence, Constitution, and Dexterity.

What I'm curious about is if it's possible to get a decent BAB without losing any more spellcasting levels (and thus losing 9th level spells at level 20). I've heard about the Abjurant Knight and possibly a few others that might help, but I'm wondering if it's really possible.

Also, would it be a worthwhile build with the standard Eldritch Knight route and being four arcane caster levels behind for the adventure and never getting 9th level spells? Assuming the character is not the primary arcanist, of course.

Bosh
2007-07-17, 03:51 AM
Don't think that insightful strike is worth the lost caster levels.

Kurald Galain
2007-07-17, 03:54 AM
A possibly snarky solution would be to take the Arcane Disciple feat (man I love that feat) to select the War domain as class spells for your wizard. This gives you Divine Power as a 4th level spell, and there's your BAB.

Solo
2007-07-17, 04:15 AM
You also get a weapons proficiency, allowing you to go into the Abjurant Champion PrC.

ImperiousLeader
2007-07-17, 04:38 AM
You might manage this with a lot of dipping.

Best I can think of is:

Swashbuckler 3 / Wizard 4 / Abjurant Champion 5 / Dragonslayer 1 / Spellsword 1 / Wizard (or full caster PRC) +6

This nets you a final BAB of 15, and gives you caster level 17.

Required feats suck though. You'll need Combat Casting for Abjurant Champion, Dodge and Iron Will for Dragonslayer.

The problem with the Swashbuckler base is that you don't have full armour proficiency required for Spellsword, so you have to dip Dragonslayer first.