PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] RHD, LA +2 or higher.

Thurbane
2016-12-20, 06:54 PM
If you had to build an ECL 10 chaarcter with the following conditions, what would you be likely to come up with (for a hypothetical one shot I may be running):

Must have RHD, and minimum LA of +2.
No LA buyoff applies.
No psionics, incarnum, Eberron or FR material allowed in build.
No Savage Progressions or Monster Classes.
Offical 3.5 sources only (i.e. no Dragon Mag). 3.0 is also fine so long as it was not updated.

Just wandering what kind of party the Playgrounders would piece together with these restrictions.

It's primarly a dungeon-bash, if that helps.

Cheers - T

Technetium43
2016-12-20, 07:01 PM
First glance, probably something like a Dark Wyrmling Shadow Dragon Totemist 2/Soul Eater 1. Lots of stealth, lots of negative levels, can pull of a scout role fairly well. Barring that, maybe some sort of Lycanthrope? Werebear Spirit Bear Totem Barbarian 1/Bear Warrior 1? :P

Psionic Thri-kreen could also work, though I don't know what kind of build stub would be appropriate. Lion Totem Barbarian/Scout/Ranger maybe?

LordOfCain
2016-12-20, 07:06 PM
First glance, probably something like a Dark Wyrmling Shadow Dragon Totemist 2
Thurbane specified that incarnum was not allowed. Besides that, I think its a great idea.

Troacctid
2016-12-20, 07:18 PM
Maybe a Cheshire Cat or a Marrulurk, those are both pretty good. The Marrulurk needs a template, so I'd probably go with Mulhorandi Divine Minion—wait, that's FR, okay, Lolth-Touched—ugh, no, that's also FR. Feral? No, that's 3.0, not 3.5. Mineral Warrior? Gah, no, Underdark is FR too! Fine, maybe Dark or Shadow-Bound then. Are those setting-specific? No? Okay, good.

Thurbane
2016-12-20, 09:50 PM
Maybe a Cheshire Cat or a Marrulurk, those are both pretty good. The Marrulurk needs a template, so I'd probably go with Mulhorandi Divine Minion—wait, that's FR, okay, Lolth-Touched—ugh, no, that's also FR. Feral? No, that's 3.0, not 3.5. Mineral Warrior? Gah, no, Underdark is FR too! Fine, maybe Dark or Shadow-Bound then. Are those setting-specific? No? Okay, good.

3.0 is fine so long as there is not a 3.5 update to replace it...

dboxcar
2016-12-20, 10:08 PM
That being said, Feral is a tier 1-2 template (if such a tier system for templates exists...), depending on how you interpret the HD thing.
Fast healing especially can be a major buff in a dungeon crawl.

Is the idea to make builds for optimization, or flavor? (For example, I love playing and working through the challenges of medusas...)

OldTrees1
2016-12-20, 10:27 PM
Feral Gargun(Races of Stone) is the 2RHD+2LA replacement for Goliaths.

Dragonborn(Wings) Feral Gargun
Barbarian 2(Goliath Barbarian 1, Spirit Lion, Wolf Totem)
Rogue(Martial) 2
War Hulk 2

or

Dragonborn(Wings) Feral Gargun
Barbarian 2(Goliath Barbarian 1, Spirit Lion, Wolf Totem)
Rogue(Martial) 2
Swordsage 2

Both would focus on Knockback, skill use, & large size.

If this were not a oneshot they would continue with:
Warblade 1 / War Hulk +2 / Swordsage 2 / Scarlet Corsair 5
or
Warblade 1 / War Hulk +4 / Scarlet Corsair 5
respectively

WhamBamSam
2016-12-20, 10:49 PM
No Sovereign Archetypes hurts, but Shadow Wyrmling into Soul Eater as mentioned might still be workable. I thought Shadow Dragons might be Faerun material (they certainly were updated slightly in Faerun books/web enhancements), but they're in Draconomicon as it turns out, and most of the important feats are in Libris Mortis.

Kaorti Fiend of Possession is a classic. The lack of Psionics might be annoying though, as it limits the options that give you actions you can take while possessing a weapon.

Multiheaded Dragonwrought Kobold going for some manner of Rapidstrike build seems workable.

Sadly, Shadow Pounce PrCs are Faerun, and a lot of other helpful options are Psionic, but if Cohort LA are acceptable, Blink Dog Monk 2/Abrupt Jaunt Martial Wizard 1/Hit-and-Run Sneak Attack Fighter 1 going into Swordsage with Sun School might not be so bad. Better still if you can worship an Elder Evil and so acquire Deformity (Tall) for some extra reach when you use Abrupt Jaunt to avoid enemies' attacks so you can still make Sun School attacks. Drow of the Underdark, unlike Underdark, is setting neutral if I'm not mistaken.

Feral something into Shadow Sun Ninja (at least for a one level dip) is a solid option to give the party some out of combat healing. Punch yourself in the face with Touch of The Shadow Sun, then heal your allies while your wounds heal naturally. Another healing option is the Deathlock with its at-will Inflict Minor Wounds, but the party needs to all have Tomb-Tainted Soul, and there aren't very good options at high levels. You could also get fast healing with a Lycanthrope with 4 levels of Warshaper, but that makes it a bit more awkward to get into SSN.

Particle_Man
2016-12-21, 12:01 AM
I don't know what alignments are allowed, and I am not an optimizer.

One that occurs to me would be a Very Young Black Dragon (I guess a redeemed one if evil alignments are not allowed?). They were swimming in pools of acid before it was cool. ;) Maybe name the character Ancagalon, just to see if anyone notices.

Speaking of immunity to acid, the stone child looks nice. They are also immune to poison. Slap 4 levels of warblade or crusader on them and you are pretty much good to go. ;)

WhamBamSam
2016-12-21, 03:18 PM
Multiheaded Dragonwrought Kobold 2/LA 2/Feat Rogue 2/Wu Jen 1/Something 1/Ur-Priest 2/Casting Advancement X
1. Dragon 1 - Dragonwrought
2. Dragon 2 - Improved Initiative, Combat Reflexes, Iron Will (Otyugh Hole)
3. Wu Jen 1 - Quicken Spell, Spell Focus (Evil)
4. Feat Rogue 1 - Two-Weapon Fighting
5. Something 1
6. Ur-Priest 1 - Multiattack
7. Ur-Priest 2
8. Casting PrC
9. Casting PrC - Divine Metamagic (Quicken)
10. Casting PrC
11. Casting PrC
12. Feat Rogue 2 - Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Multivoice
13. Casting PrC
14. Casting PrC
15. Casting PrC - Practiced Spellcaster or Extra Turning
16. Casting PrC
17. Casting PrC
18. Casting PrC - Extra Turning

It won't be completely online at ECL 10, but it should manage okay and once it gets going it should be pretty great. Three spells per round with no increase in spell level off the Cleric list eventually catching up to a standard full caster is fairly devastating.

Particle_Man
2016-12-21, 03:56 PM
Well the OP said it is a hypothetical one shot, so higher levels than 10 is probably not an issue.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-12-21, 05:43 PM
No psionics, no incarnum, no artificer? Why am I even in this game?

I'd probably just play... wait no, that requires... maybe a... but without Faerûn... ah screw it, I'll probably just play something stupid, like a tsochar. Tsochar technically have LA --, but there's a section 'tsochar characters', so I call bogus on that. They probably deserve +2 LA, and they'd make a pretty great character in any campaign (provided evil is acceptable).

Grell are also on the table (ECL 11). If this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20702607&postcount=2) is acceptable, so are aboleth. Neogi, too, I suppose, but I never liked those guys.

(and yes, I'm just reading Lords of Madness - abberations are awesome)

Mr Adventurer
2016-12-21, 07:00 PM
Werecrocodile!

Rebel7284
2016-12-21, 07:24 PM
Some ideas:
- Gloura Battledancer 1
- Feral Lolth-Touched Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale HD3/(variant)Barbarian 2/War Hulk 3
- Savage Bard 1/Were-Fleshraker 4/Ur-Priest 3
- Anything Phrenic