PDA

View Full Version : Genasi Questions

Armyman2287
2016-12-20, 08:14 PM
Hello,

Just had a question about Genasi, they have an ability called :

Unending Breath. You can hold your breath
indefinitely while you’re not incapacitated.

Does this mean they can breath underwater, and also they have an ability that allows them to move up to ten feet via wind, so does that also apply if they cast a spell underwater to move easily around in the water and/or move out of the water?

Thanks

Mjolnirbear
2016-12-20, 08:25 PM
They are not breathing, they're holding their breath. And not speaking, casting, laughing, cursing or coughing.

As for the other, I don't recall the air genasi getting an ability like that.

Maxilian
2016-12-21, 10:05 AM
Well... you can stay underwater without breathing, but have in mind that also means that you won't be able to talk (so no spell that need you to say anything).

And yes, you can cast levitate underwater (not much point on casting it on yourself but it could work with the enemy to lock them down)

Note: Underwater you will still have disadvantage with your weapons attack cause you don't have a swimming speed (unless you use one of the detailed weapons)

-Melee: dagger, javelin, shortsword, spear, or trident.

-Range: crossbow, a net, or a weapon that is thrown like a javelin (including a spear, trident, or dart).

Falcon X
2016-12-21, 10:50 AM
In my game, we played it so an air genasi could stay underwater indefinitely, or otherwise hold their breath anywhere.
However, because they are holding their breath, they can't talk, use verbal components, or anything else Mjolnirbear listed. Eating would be debatable.

I only just thought of it, but there is a GREAT example of this in A Shadow in Summer by Daniel Abraham (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/208.A_Shadow_in_Summer?from_search=true).
In it, we see a type of air spirit that looks like a human. It doesn't have to breath for it's health doesn't. However, whenever it needs to speak, it has to suck air into it's lungs. It's considered subtle, but unnerving to people.

Mr triggerfish
2018-09-18, 10:35 AM
I have a question does the water genasis power work like an water benders from avitar or not like how water benders can basically levitate water and shape it to there will