PDA

View Full Version : No feats, no multiclass...

lonewulf
2016-12-20, 09:39 PM
If you had to make a character in a game where feats and multiclassing were banned as well as UA material....what would you make? Point buy for stats. Aaaaaand.......go!

JNAProductions
2016-12-20, 09:40 PM
A Dragonfire Adept.

What? You didn't say nothing about Homebrew being banned! :P

In all seriousness... Literally any class? They're all playable and fun.

DracoKnight
2016-12-20, 09:58 PM
Probably a Wood Elf Shadow Monk :smallbiggrin: I played one before in a campaign that had those conditions and it was a blast :smallbiggrin:

Dimers
2016-12-20, 10:17 PM
Cleric of knowledge. Useful class abilities that are both generalized (any tool/skill proficiency) and specialized (Expertise, mind-reading, turning undead), versatile spell selection, a non-useless combat presence, good survivability.

EDIT: oh, right, race. Half-elf for stats and languages and skills and darkvision and charm resistance. Nooooo question. Max them bonuses, baby.

Foxhound438
2016-12-20, 10:20 PM
*reads title*

A CASTER

MrFahrenheit
2016-12-20, 10:21 PM
Halfling divination wizard. Take away my luck feat, will you?! BAM! Racial luck feature! BAM! Portent!

MrFahrenheit
2016-12-20, 10:25 PM
Either that or a thief (wood elf or lightfoot halfling). Pump Dex primary, con secondary and wis tertiarily. Still get the equivalent of resilience for wis, and with a high con, everything will still be A-OK.

Oh and the whole swiping-in-combat shindig + a ton of skills.

CantigThimble
2016-12-20, 10:37 PM
I would happily play any class EXCEPT fighter. Fighter gets next to nothing for diversity or out-of-combat abilities. They can make up for that with their excess of feats normally, but not here.

Herobizkit
2016-12-20, 10:39 PM
Halfling Bard or Dwarven Wizard.

Or Dwarven Arcane Cleric or Halfling Knowledge Cleric. ;)

Gignere
2016-12-20, 10:41 PM
Definitely a full caster, preferably one that doesn't tank at all.

BigONotation
2016-12-20, 10:44 PM
No UA? Mountain Dwarf Battlemaster Fighter... with a maul.

UA? Mountain Dwarf Forge Cleric... with a maul.

Feeling arcane? Mountain Dwarf Evoker in half plate wielding a battle axe.

Or perhaps Mountain Dwarf Warlock Pact of the Blade...

Arcangel4774
2016-12-20, 10:58 PM
Variant half-high elf (get booming blade) swashbuckler rogue

Toadkiller
2016-12-20, 10:58 PM
Pretty much anything. It's a role playing game, I didn't lose anything.

JAL_1138
2016-12-20, 11:01 PM
Couldn't say unless I knew party composition. I tend to play MC'd and/or feat-dependent characters (aside from a Knowledge Cleric in League who's holding up pretty well), so I'd be out my usual picks. I'd look at party composition and then pick whichever fullcaster build filled in the gaps in the party's abilities best (with preference being for half-elf Lore Bard or some variety of hill dwarf Cleric, choosing domain based on party needs, but willing to go with other fullcaster classes if need be).

Luccan
2016-12-20, 11:23 PM
In all seriousness... Literally any class? They're all playable and fun.

I haven't actually started a 5e game yet, but that seems pretty accurate. This probably wouldn't affect class so much as character concept... That said, thinking about this did give me an idea: Sunshine Anjoy, the Chain Pact, Fey-patron Tiefling Warlock. The happiest tiefling warlock you've ever met. He'd have Folk Hero as his background, for as a youngster, Sunshine and his sprite companion emerged one day from the woods and interceded between the village he would call home and the fey that surrounded it when tensions were rising.

Tanarii
2016-12-20, 11:29 PM
*reads title*

A CASTER

Definitely a full caster, preferably one that doesn't tank at all.
I run a no feat no Multiclassing campaign with high character turnover, and the least common classes are no spell classes. Barbarian, Fighter Champions/Battlemasters, and Rogue Thief/Assasins are more often henchmen. Although it may also be because I have henchmen, and players know those will be common classes among henchmen I make available to hire.

Sigreid
2016-12-20, 11:30 PM
fighter, evocation wizard, moon druid or thief rogue, depending entirely on what the rest of the party played. My tendency is for wizard or druid though.

tsotate
2016-12-20, 11:32 PM
A trip to a different table.

danpit2991
2016-12-20, 11:33 PM
hmmmmmm these parameters scream low magic loot, high mortality sooooooo half orc champion or half orc mood druid

Sigreid
2016-12-20, 11:36 PM
hmmmmmm these parameters scream low magic loot, high mortality sooooooo half orc champion or half orc mood druid

I can see the low magic assumption, but why high morality?

Edit: misread mortality. Disregard.

Vintrastorm
2016-12-21, 04:41 AM
A woodchuck.
Who could chuck wood.

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

hymer
2016-12-21, 04:56 AM
If you had to make a character in a game where feats and multiclassing were banned as well as UA material....what would you make? Point buy for stats. Aaaaaand.......go!

Wood Elf - Druid (land, grassland)
Str 8, Dex 14+2, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 15+1, Cha 10
Skills: Perception (elf), Arcana, Nature
Custom background: Persuasion, Stealth, Thieves' Tools
Cantrips: Druidcraft, Frostbite, Guidance (2), Mending (4), Produce Flame (10)
ASIs: +2 Wis, +2 Wis, +2 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Con

SillyPopeNachos
2016-12-21, 06:38 AM
Abjuration Wizard. Take away my feats and multiclass, will you DM? Then watch me take away your casters...

MinotaurWarrior
2016-12-21, 06:51 AM
Race has to be birdfolk, obviously

Revised ranger is technically UA

So, I'd probably want to go either monk or cleric. I've played a monk recently, so I'd likely go cleric instead. Maybe Death Domain, for their twinned chill touch.

Socratov
2016-12-21, 07:09 AM
Either a lore bard, A land druid or a dragon sorc.

Maxilian
2016-12-21, 09:35 AM
*reads title*

A CASTER

Totally agree, most likely a Wizard, never a Fighter (one of my favorite classes, but i need feats for them)

JellyPooga
2016-12-21, 09:47 AM
Probably a Rogue.

Then again, that's pretty much my go-to choice regardless of "house" rules (not to be confused with house-rules).

Within that (very) broad category...probably an Arcane Trickster. Maybe a Thief if I knew the game was going to run to high level (Thief gets very good top-end abilities).

Race? Half-Elf or Halfling is always tempting, but if I were feeling exotic I might try for an Air or Fire Genasi. Maybe a Winged Feral Tiefling if I was feeling naughty.

Stats is pretty easy, but dependent on Race. Generally Dex>Wis=Cha>Int=Con>Str, preferably with no negatives.

Skills: Athletics, Stealth, Perception (as standard) + 1 "Lore" (preferably Arcana) + 1 Social (usually Deception, but sometimes I like Intimidation instead) + any remaining depending on flavour and Race. Expertise in (probably) Perception and [Social Skill] at 1st, then Stealth and [Lore Skill] at 6th. Could be tempted to Expertise Athletics to compensate low Str.

ASI's all go into Dex>Wis>Con...maybe with some lip service in Int if AT, but I'd probably hold out for a +Int Magic Item rather than spend ASI's on it.

Finieous
2016-12-21, 09:49 AM
Battlemaster with high Str and Dex. I can play an old-school fighter who is good with any weapon in the absence of combat feats that force hyperspecialization ("Uh, sorry bro, I'm not sure exactly what that is -- I think it might be a 'bow' -- but my whole build is about using polearms.")

lunaticfringe
2016-12-21, 09:54 AM
Mountain Dwarf Bearbarian Criminal because I would expect to show up at a table full of full casters. Somebody's gotta take hits and open locks.

After 27 point buy

STR 16, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 8

Citan
2016-12-21, 10:14 AM
4 Elements Monk obviously in a small party.
Monk because when feats aren't an option they stay competitive damage-wise and defense-wise for a good chunk of their career.
4E because the versatility of his Disciplines makes him good to adapt to your party needs, and you can swap Disciplines as you level to try new things or get better options. And since you want to max WIS anyways for Stunning Strike and AC, and you don't get feats to make difficult choices... ;)

In a larger party, probably a Monk (any), a Bladesinger Wizard or a Lore Bard, depending on which one is already there. Wizard because of the sheer amount of spells, Lore Bard because of ability to adapt (Magic Secrets), fun base spellist and underrated Bardic Inspiration. Monk is the third choice, if the party has nobody able to fill this kind of flexible role ("striker"/"scout"/"soft controller"/"tank", all between hyphen because Monk is overall good but best at none, unless you choose an archetype that enhance one particular aspect).

Vorpalchicken
2016-12-21, 11:00 AM
This sounds like a good time to try a hill dwarf battlerager. Or maybe a bladey warlock

Syll
2016-12-21, 11:02 AM
No feats, no multiclassing no UA.....so, no fun?

Exaggerating a touch, but don't know that that is a campaign I would want to play in honestly.

For arguments sake I'll say Sunsoul Monk, because they natively get a fair number of utility options, and have ranged and melee

lonewulf
2016-12-21, 12:13 PM
No feats, no multiclassing no UA.....so, no fun?

Exaggerating a touch, but don't know that that is a campaign I would want to play in honestly.

For arguments sake I'll say Sunsoul Monk, because they natively get a fair number of utility options, and have ranged and melee

This is purely hypothetical....its not about wanting that kind of game its about if you HAD TO, no choice in the matter...."if you dont play you and all your loved ones die" type of scenario, lol.

Tanarii
2016-12-21, 12:16 PM
No feats, no multiclassing no UA.....so, no fun?My table draws more players than the majority of local AL tables do. And from my occasional surveying of players about what they like and don't like, PHB only, No Feats, No multiclassing seems to be the second biggest draw. (The biggest is I bill it as highly lethal.)

Joe the Rat
2016-12-21, 12:47 PM
So pretty much anything from the old days (or Basic Fantasy) will work.

I'd probably resurrect my warhammer-to-the-groin halfling fighter (All those ASIs, I can get STR 20 by level 8), though I'm torn between battlemaster (maneuvers) and champion (more groin shots criticals).

I might give arcane trickster a go - MU/Thief was one of my favorite multis from back in the day. Might go half-elf for tradition's sake, though a Devil's Tongue Tiefling has its own amusement. For a more magic and a bit less thief, Criminal Bard - probably lore - would be where I'd go.

It might be a good game for the "Box Man" Mountain Dwarf Rogue. A couple of shortswords for sneaky stabbin' (using strength), a heavy crossbow for shootin', and an investigation/tools focus (and/or perception - depending on the DM's preference for trapfinding) for locks and traps. Not your scout, your B&E man. Probably go thief for archetype, though Swashbuckler could be amusing.

lonewulf
2016-12-21, 12:52 PM
So pretty much anything from the old days (or Basic Fantasy) will work.

I'd probably resurrect my warhammer-to-the-groin halfling fighter (All those ASIs, I can get STR 20 by level 8), though I'm torn between battlemaster (maneuvers) and champion (more groin shots criticals).

I might give arcane trickster a go - MU/Thief was one of my favorite multis from back in the day. Might go half-elf for tradition's sake, though a Devil's Tongue Tiefling has its own amusement. For a more magic and a bit less thief, Criminal Bard - probably lore - would be where I'd go.

It might be a good game for the "Box Man" Mountain Dwarf Rogue. A couple of shortswords for sneaky stabbin' (using strength), a heavy crossbow for shootin', and an investigation/tools focus (and/or perception - depending on the DM's preference for trapfinding) for locks and traps. Not your scout, your B&E man. Probably go thief for archetype, though Swashbuckler could be amusing.

Im surprised Warlock wasnt your solution XD

Joe the Rat
2016-12-21, 12:55 PM
Im surprised Warlock wasnt your solution XD
It was my other thought for MU/Thief, but I figured as designated skillmonkey, I needed the Expertise.

Theodoxus
2016-12-21, 01:10 PM
I really like my single class Life Cleric. I did grab Magic Initiate at 4th, but could easily forgo that. I'd miss the Observant feat I planned on taking at 12, but it's not imperative.

Cleric in general has so many options in and out of combat, and everyone (PC & NPC alike) always welcomes one at the pub (Lesser Restoration keeps everyone drinking!)

mgshamster
2016-12-21, 01:25 PM
So I'm in a "may multiclass, feats are allowed, and any UA material is allowed - plus any homebrew upon DM permission" type game. Very open.

My feat-less, straight class halfling thief rogue not only keeps up with the rest of the party, but is often the highest damager dealer and controbutes massively out of combat.

You don't need feats, multiclassing, or UA to keep up or have fun. You only need them if you have a specific character concept and have difficulty finding the right mechanics to match the concept. Not having them simply means you either have to have a different character concept this time around, or you have to use your imagination and creativity to find different mechanics that could work.

Naanomi
2016-12-21, 01:52 PM
Anything but a fighter? Some rogues might end up without something terribly productive to throw stats into as well

Davemeddlehed
2016-12-21, 05:06 PM
Solaire of Astoria build level 5:

Half Elf(Sun Elf Cantrip Variant) Vengeance Paladin

16 STR(after HE +1 and half of an ASI)
10 DEX
16 CON(after HE +1)
10 WIS
10 INT
16 CHA(after HE +2 and half of an ASI)

AC 20 with shield, 18 without.
45HP
Defense fighting style

Longsword
Shield(painted with the visage of the sun normally not equipped)
Splint mail
Holy Emblem(re-skinned as sunlight talisman)

Thunderclap cantrip re-skinned as wrath of the gods miracle
Divine Favor
Shield of Faith
Magic Weapon
Branding Smite
Bane
Hunters Mark
Misty Step
Hold Person

Lay on Hands re-skinned as great heal miracle
Eventually get Elemental weapon and cast it on javelins or spears to simulate Lightning spear miracle

Worship the sun!

Oramac
2016-12-21, 05:18 PM
A woodchuck.
Who could chuck wood.

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

A woodchuck would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood. :D

==============================

To the OP: probably whatever I felt like playing that day. Usually a Paladin of some sort.

Ravinsild
2016-12-21, 05:43 PM
Half-Orc Totem Barbarian.

Syll
2016-12-21, 07:07 PM
My table draws more players than the majority of local AL tables do. And from my occasional surveying of players about what they like and don't like, PHB only, No Feats, No multiclassing seems to be the second biggest draw. (The biggest is I bill it as highly lethal.)

I was a touch on the bitter side when I first posted because I'd just found out I had to go in to work unexpectedly :x

Anyway, I find that really surprising. I've never done AL, so I have no experience to add on that front, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around desiring fewer customization options. From my perspective I derive a LOT of fun from D&D in the character planning stages, which is a stage that's always available.

While I absolutely love finding unconventional methods of overcoming unforseen obstacles, that's not really the sort of thing you can sit down and do when the mood takes you. 5e is by and large just not my edition (however it is my friend's favorite,so here I am) because all the 'fiddly bits' of 3.5 were right up my alley, and 5e seems barren in comparison. From that mindset, restricting feats, multiclassing and UA sounds a lot like “A customer can have a car painted any color he wants, as long as it’s black”

Kane0
2016-12-21, 07:28 PM
Probably an EK, especially if EE content is available.

If Volos is also available an Aasimar Pally sounds fun. Or a Goblin warlock.

2D8HP
2016-12-21, 07:46 PM
....I have a hard time wrapping my head around desiring fewer customization options....I'm the opposite.
If the game involves starting at high level, with too many options (especially if were also given a price list and budget for magic-items) I freeze with indecision.

If we start at high level, even if feats and multi-classing are allowed I would choose a human Fighter (Champion) with a Folk hero background. Half-elf, Elf, Barbarian (Berserker), Outlander, and Urchin as alternate choices.

But if we start at first level and I can ease into it, but with no fututr multi-classing, I think I want to try a Half-elf Rogue (Swashbuckler from the SCAG at 3rd level) with an Entertainer, Urchin, or Outlander background.

8wGremlin
2016-12-21, 08:00 PM
Arcane Cleric - pick up medium armour and 14 Dex, use a shield.
Pick Booming Blade, and Chill Touch as your new wizard cleric cantrips.

jaappleton
2016-12-21, 08:14 PM
Sorcerer or Monk.

Monk has very little room for Feats anyway, between needing to max Dex, Wisdom, and wanting a bunch of Con.

Sorc? They're proficient in Con saves, mitigating the need for Warcaster a bit.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-12-21, 08:39 PM
I don't know that it would affect my decision process that much, apart from maybe taking gish builds off the table. I'd still look for classes with high levels of options and staying power... Arcane Trickster, maybe; been eying them a bit lately. Possibly an EK or Battlemaster.

Samayu
2016-12-21, 09:59 PM
Previous campaign, I played a Wizard all the way through to 8th level. I don't find any good wizard feats, so I didn't take any. Current campaign, I've played barbarian, paladin and now monk. With all three, I felt the stat bonus was important - to hit bonus, damage bonus and AC bonus for two of them. I raised the monk's AC from 15 to 17 at fourth level, and I'm still going down a lot. I'll take Mobile in a couple of levels. So no feats yet for me.

All of my characters have been single-classed. I hate to give up the advantages granted at progressively higher levels in the class, to gain low-level abilities of another class. My mates tend to agree. I can think of thirteen characters that have appeared in our current campaign, and only two have multiclassed. And none in the previous campaign.

So anyway, my point is... no feats, no multiclass, no big deal.

Though I don't really see the point to disallow feats. Or multiclassing, for that matter.

CaptainSarathai
2016-12-21, 10:37 PM
This is tricky, because every class is essentially boiled down to its core tactics. There's no need to "off-Rogue" when you have a pure Rogue on the table. So in terms of optimization, barring racial scores (and even then, +1 +1 to any +2Cha is great) the Half Elf is probably the best race, for the 2 free skills.
Urchin and Criminal are excellent backgrounds. Charlatan is surprisingly good as well.
So you'd just say, "okay, which role needs coverage?" and then take the best class and subclass to fill that in. Doubling up is where you "off" or ape another class - likely by going with a 1/2 or 1/3 caster.

For sheer fun of playing though, I'd play any of either:

Mountain Dwarf, Valor Bard, Soldier bg -
Do everything everyone else can do, sometimes even better. As a Dwarf. Wearing armor, carrying a big hammer, singing the songs of your people.

Variant Half Elf, Swashbuckler Rogue, Guild Artisan(?) -
You want that sweet Booming Blade cantrip from the Wizard list. From there it's all just banging and dashing. Plus, you have lots of utility in non-combat encounters since you're a Rogue.

Tanarii
2016-12-21, 10:40 PM
Current campaign, I've played barbarian, paladin and now monk. With all three, I felt the stat bonus was important - to hit bonus, damage bonus and AC bonus for two of them. Technically with a Barbarian it's almost always a superior mathematical choice to take Great Weapon Master over a +2 Str ASI, because of Reckless Attack.

djreynolds
2016-12-22, 01:00 AM
I have played without multiclassing and feats... its fine.

Champion, worked just as well. And so did wizard and rogue.

But feats are fun. And so is multiclassing.

Try it out, its fine.

Astofel
2016-12-22, 01:36 AM
I've never played an MC'd character, though I'm about to in an upcoming game, and in all my 1 year of D&D experience I've taken only three feats, one of which was from being a vuman, since I always feel like I need the ASI more. I'll just go ahead and dump a list of characters I've thought of who fit the criteria:

-Dragonborn Lore Bard
-Protector Aasimar Sun Soul Monk
-Half-Elf Swashbuckler
-Tiefling Ranger
-Half-Orc Tempest Cleric
-Fire Genasi Fiend Warlock

Ravinsild
2016-12-22, 10:11 AM
Blando P. Onthefence

The most generic human bard ever. He is true neutral. He's my AD&D Bard, a real everyman.

His name has multiple meanings. Bland OP On the Fence (Cuz Bards are Overpowered lol...that's the joke) is one of them.

asmartfellow
2017-01-08, 11:09 AM
Tiefling Warlock.

It's what I"m playing now. I took the Luck FEAT, but I could have easily bumped DEX or CHA and be almost as effective. Such a fun beast to play.

Your results may vary, but my character is super utility, and no slouch in combat either. Currently at lvl 7 and can take on CR7 mobs solo.

I went TOME spec and wouldn't swap for anything. (being able to collect rituals in my book is devastating).

TheUser
2017-01-08, 11:33 AM
GWF Paladin (re-roll 1's and 2's on smite damage bro), Moon Druid, Dragon Sorcerer (sneak mage), Shadow Monk or Totem Barbarian.

Notice something? That's right, they all have MAD.

JAL_1138
2017-01-08, 11:44 AM
GWF Paladin (re-roll 1's and 2's on smite damage bro), Moon Druid, Dragon Sorcerer (sneak mage), Shadow Monk or Totem Barbarian.

Notice something? That's right, they all have MAD.

Sage advice (maybe also errata? not sure) is that GWF only applies to the weapon dice, not Smite damage or Sneak Attack.

Spacehamster
2017-01-08, 12:18 PM
Half elf paladin 8/16/16/8/10/16, sword and board style with dueling,
probably ancients, makes him high AC, high saves and magic resistance
+ able to drop some nice pain through smites, use his ASI´s to max
DEX and CHA + get CON to 18. Would let me play a DEX paladin without any
STR at all since no multiclassing anyways, studded leather + shield and rapier.
Background orphan for stealth, sleigh of hand + thief tools, perception and acrobatics from half elf,
persuasion + insight from pally.

xyianth
2017-01-08, 12:26 PM
I actually played in a game with gritty realism, no multiclassing, and no feats. I was a half-elf fiend tome warlock. I handled all of the ritual magic for the party, used my familiar (an imp) to scout invisibly, and had decent ranged DPR. The temp hp, floating resistance, ritual magic, and short rest recovery mechanism work great under gritty realism rules.