PDA

View Full Version : So I had an interesting game.

RingofThorns
2016-12-21, 01:41 AM
So a little while ago I got asked to sit in on a game of DnD and roll up a character that would more then likely only be used that one time. So I asked what the setting was and found out that it was a pretty standard set up a dwarven kingdom under siege by an invading army of orcs,goblins and a few other races. I figured what the hell I had always wanted to make a dwarven beserker type character so I went whole hog with it, dude had a bright red warhawk hair due and a massive beard of braids and just about every inch of his skin was covered in tattoos of the forge father. He wore big iron rings on each finger he could use as brass knuckles and had a massive two handed hammer inscribed with runes and a pair of twin one handed axes. So anyway we get to this part of the session with the dwarves doing the classic retreat across the bridge and get inside the fortress type thing. The way the DM was talking it sounded like not everyone was going to make it across the bridge before they were caught by the orcs, so before he could keep going I just said "I want to jump at the orcs." well my dwarf was standing on a balcony type thing over looking our side of the bridge. The DM looked to me and said "are you sure? It's a long way down." I said yeah I was going to jump down towards the orcs wanting to land on the nearest orc hammer first. The DM tells me to roll, and after some dice are rolled my dwarf does indeed fly off that balcony and land on the leading orc pretty much crunching him like a coke can with that big hammer. I tell the DM I am jusst going to throw all in I was going to hold that bridge until I died and that was the only way they were getting past me, the DM laughs and takes the challange. Seven dead orcs later they finally dis-arm me and knock my hammer from my hands, I draw my axes and rage out and proceed to start tearing through anything to comes across my path. Finally their commander, sargeant the leader of the orcs trying to take the bridge steps up as the others start running away to fight me himself. Things are going to pretty well at first but then he manages to use his spike whip to disarm me from my axes, I am pretty sure I am boned but decide to keep fighting and ask if I can look around and find a weapon to grab and pick up. The DM lets me but I don't make the roll to find a weapon but the DM says I find an orc shield laying near by, I dive for it and pick it up. When it comes to my turn next I tell the DM I want to shield bash the orc and try to knock him over, the DM makes it an opposed check my attack against a strength check I believe and the orc rolls a 1 against my 20 [my dice were on freaking FIRE] so the orc falls. I tell the DM I want to jump on top of him and pin him down, my dwarf then proceeds to literally pound the orcs head into a stain on the stones with his iron rings and sheer strength. The DM asks me to roll a d20 and doesn't tell me what for and I get yet another natural 20, so the DM explains that after killing the leader my dwarf stands up and while covered in wounds,my blood and the blood of all those orcs he starts to yell curses and taunts in dwarven while pounding my fist together making the iron rings clang off one another and shoot sparks. The remaining enemies falter and run, at which point the DM talks about my dwarf staggering back to the doors of the stronghold and once inside promptly fall stold cold unconcious.

Sounds like an awesome game right? Well I have no idea when I will be back and the DM now has to try and figure out what to do with Alfrigg siege breaker of the Scarlet Hooligan clan.

LordOfCain
2016-12-21, 07:21 AM
You see, this is how DnD should be in my opinion: the martials get a chance to shine and make memories in a way only martials can.

Inevitability
2016-12-21, 11:19 AM
Could you please breach this wall of text with a few paragraphs?

Stealth Marmot
2016-12-21, 02:54 PM
I cast Edit Post I!

So a little while ago I got asked to sit in on a game of DnD and roll up a character that would more then likely only be used that one time. So, I asked what the setting was and found out that it was a pretty standard set up a dwarven kingdom under siege by an invading army of orcs, goblins and a few other races.

I figured what the hell, I had always wanted to make a dwarven berserker type character, so I went whole hog with it! Dude had a bright red warhawk hair due and a massive beard of braids and just about every inch of his skin was covered in tattoos of the forge father. He wore big iron rings on each finger, he could use as brass knuckles, and had a massive two handed hammer inscribed with runes, plus a pair of twin one handed axes.

So anyway we get to this part of the session with the dwarves doing the classic retreat across the bridge and get inside the fortress type thing. The way the DM was talking, it sounded like not everyone was going to make it across the bridge (before the orcs). So before he could finish, I just said "I want to jump at the orcs."

Well my dwarf was standing on a balcony type thing over looking our side of the bridge. The DM looked to me and said "Are you sure? It's a long way down." I said yeah I was going to jump down towards the orcs wanting to land on the nearest orc hammer first. The DM tells me to roll, and my dwarf does indeed fly off that balcony and land on the leading orc, pretty much crunching him like a coke can with that big hammer. I tell the DM I am just going all in. I was going to hold that bridge until I died. The DM laughs and takes the challenge.

Seven dead orcs later, they finally disarm me and knock my hammer from my hands, I draw my axes and rage out and proceed to start tearing through anything to comes across my path.

Finally, their commander, a sergeant the leader of the orcs trying to take the bridge steps up to fight me himself. The other orcs scramble away. Things are going to pretty well at first but then he manages to use his spike whip to disarm me. I am pretty sure I am boned but decide to keep fighting and ask if I can look around and find a weapon to grab and pick up. The DM lets me roll, but I don't find a weapon but I do find an orc shield laying near by. I dive for it and pick it up. When it comes to my turn next I tell the DM I want to shield bash the orc and try to knock him over. The DM makes it an opposed check and I believe and the orc rolls a 1 against my 20 (my dice were on freaking FIRE). So the orc falls. I tell the DM I want to jump on top of him and pin him down. My dwarf then proceeds to literally pound the orcs head into a stain on the stones with his iron rings and sheer strength.

The DM asks me to roll a d20 (he doesn't tell me what for) and I get yet another natural 20. So the DM explains that after killing the leader my dwarf stands up and while covered in wounds and blood (both my blood and the orcs' blood), and then he starts to yell curses and taunts in dwarven while pounding my fist together making the iron rings clang off one another and shoot sparks.

The remaining enemies falter and run, at which point the DM talks about my dwarf staggering back to the doors of the stronghold and once inside promptly fall stone cold unconscious.

Sounds like an awesome game right? Well I have no idea when I will be back and the DM now has to try and figure out what to do with Alfrigg siege breaker of the Scarlet Hooligan clan.

There we go. Better?

Draconi Redfir
2016-12-21, 03:43 PM
DAMN that was awsome. Truly the fight any melee class dreams of. From my human paladin to my sheild fighter, i've always dreamed to being the one to stay behind as my allies flee from hopeless odds, even if they will likely die.

Good job man. Make sure that dwarf gets a nice statue in the great all. Comission someone to draw him if you have the cash too:smalltongue:

RingofThorns
2016-12-21, 04:06 PM
Sorry about the wall of text and thank you for the post edit, I would like to try and find some one to do art of him but I am sadly broke right now. I had always wanted to do that whole heroic sacrifice thing, I have read to many fantasy novels with it happening and when I saw the chance to do I guess I kind of quite literally leapt at the chance.

Mr Adventurer
2016-12-21, 05:00 PM
What was your build?

LordOfCain
2016-12-21, 05:01 PM
What was your build?

That didn't take as long as I thought it would...

Draconi Redfir
2016-12-21, 05:20 PM
Sorry about the wall of text and thank you for the post edit, I would like to try and find some one to do art of him but I am sadly broke right now. I had always wanted to do that whole heroic sacrifice thing, I have read to many fantasy novels with it happening and when I saw the chance to do I guess I kind of quite literally leapt at the chance.

Live the dream man. live the dream.

Mordaedil
2016-12-22, 02:45 AM
That was freakin' awesome.