PDA

View Full Version : Which classes require the least of the character?

hymer
2016-12-21, 03:15 AM
Obviously all classes have some give and stretch in them. But let's look at this from the point of view of the laziest and least apt people: Which classes would they be most capable of taking?

My immediate thoughts go to warlocks and sorcerers. Sorcerers can just happen, while warlocks can gain their powers through a pact rather than through any lengthy training.

What do you guys think? And how would you fluff various classes to be the least demanding?

JakOfAllTirades
2016-12-21, 03:22 AM
Obviously all classes have some give and stretch in them. But let's look at this from the point of view of the laziest and least apt people: Which classes would they be most capable of taking?

My immediate thoughts go to warlocks and sorcerers. Sorcerers can just happen, while warlocks can gain their powers through a pact rather than through any lengthy training.

What do you guys think? And how would you fluff various classes to be the least demanding?

Warlocks, lazy? Least apt? I would beg to differ! Just look what Warlocks have to go through before they even get started in their careers.

It takes some serious stones to make a bargain with the Powers of Hades, or the Queen of Air and Darkness, or, uh... whatever that Gibbering Atrocity From Beyond is calling Itself these days! Not to mention all those nights studying contract law. What good is your Pact if you get tripped up on technicalities, am I right?

Rogues, now... you won't find a more shiftless lot! Have you ever seen a thief do an honest day's work?

AttilatheYeon
2016-12-21, 03:25 AM
I've seen damn near every class being played in the simplest possible way, except fighters which seems like it should be an autopilot class. They all seem to have mechanics that support easy play and more complicated play.

I'd say fighter and rogue seem to have the easiest mechanics for simple play.

hymer
2016-12-21, 03:41 AM
I've seen damn near every class being played in the simplest possible way, except fighters which seems like it should be an autopilot class. They all seem to have mechanics that support easy play and more complicated play.

I'd say fighter and rogue seem to have the easiest mechanics for simple play.

I'm talking about how hard it is for the character, not the player. :smallsmile:

MinotaurWarrior
2016-12-21, 04:27 AM
Probably Barbarian. I mean, to be a good Barbarian requires tons of excercise and practice. To be a mediocre Barbarian just requires an anger problem.

Level one class features in terms of barriers to entry:

1) Wizard spellcasting
2) Bard spellcasting
3) Monk unarmored defense
4) Rogue expertise
5) Cleric spellcasting
6) Ranger favored enemy
7) Paladin divine sense
8) Fighter Fighting style
9) Warlock pact
10) Sorcerer spellcasting
11) Barbarian rage

Millstone85
2016-12-21, 04:38 AM
I agree with the OP.
Becoming a sorcerer or a warlock requires no particular training.
I would even fluff the high charisma as an effect of the power.

Being a sorcerer or a warlock, on the other hand, can be quite the pickle.
Just ask Elsa of Arendelle or Madoka Kaname.

JellyPooga
2016-12-21, 04:43 AM
Rogues, now... you won't find a more shiftless lot! Have you ever seen a thief do an honest day's work?

Honest? Perhaps not. Easy? That's another matter. Pockets don't pick themselves and there's a knack to springing locks but mostly it's practice, practice, practice. Roguing is a working mans game; none of yer 'lah-di-dah' readin' an' contract law an' dealing with "higher powers"? Oooh...get'choo with yer nobbin' with the hobnobs. A Rogue has to walk uphill to work and home again. It ain't easy bein' the little guy comin' up, scratchin' a livin' out o' the cobbles, fightin' for every scrap.

Clerics now...there's a bunch who don't do a days hard graft. It's all sitting around reading and discussing things they can't see or even really know anything about, while mooching a living off of honest, hard-working thie-...uh, men. All the while, telling us we're doomed to eternal hell unless we give half our earnings to feed their lazy backsides. Don't even get me started on the singing and chanting.

Addaran
2016-12-21, 07:43 AM

With the pact/gift explanation, you can actually fluff any classes.

The commoner with a limb that sold his soul to have physical perfection and techniques. Bam, instant-monk!
The random guard that always wanted to be a mage, can also sell his soul for extreme intelligence and innate understanding of magic. Bam, insta-wizard!

You can also play a "normal guy" that let's something (ancestor, some kind of supernatural being) take control of his body to do the awesome class stuff. Barbarian who lets his grandpa, a war hero do the fighting for him. Druid who lets minor spirits do the casting to protect nature for him.

Millstone85
2016-12-21, 08:03 AM
With the pact/gift explanation, you can actually fluff any classes.

The commoner with a limb that sold his soul to have physical perfection and techniques. Bam, instant-monk!
The random guard that always wanted to be a mage, can also sell his soul for extreme intelligence and innate understanding of magic. Bam, insta-wizard!Don't forget the wannabe bard who "stumbled into the clutches of a hag, making a bargain for a musical gift in addition to [their] life and freedom". That's actually a quote from page 52 of the PHB.

It also explains all the warlock dips. :smalltongue:

Druid who lets minor spirits do the casting to protect nature for him.Druids are divine spellcasters whose faith involves the many spirits and forces of nature. What you described there is standard druid fluff.

BW022
2016-12-21, 12:56 PM
Once can backstory any class as being lazy. You could have your character starting at 50 years old, having been in the temple as an adept who has been sweeping floors and cooking for thirty years before being ordained. Or you could be a 30 year old monk who was once a temple adept, left over a woman, married her, spend the last 10 years farming, and whose wife was just murdered. Or you could be street urchin rogue who was adopted at 12 into a good family, became a baker's assistant, and then at 20 his adopted father is diseased and whose old 'boss' showed up at the door with a mission for him in return for enough money for a cure disease spell. Lots of backstories can have folks lazy, retired, out of practice, not adventuring, etc.

Likewise, one can backstory any class to being extremely productive. Your barbarian could have started as a gladiator. Training day and night, with actual life and death combats. You could have a warlock whose pact involved extreme sacrifice or proofing oneself worthy -- the arch fey took notice of you because you spent 5 years reading the sacred rocks, learning celestial, and studying with the elves in the forest, the arch fiend selected you because you brought 10 bear hearts to the pit and burned them. Sorcerer's might gain power from within, but it may take years or decades of study under a master to learn how. Finding the master might itself require extreme tests, abilities, gifts, etc. Imagine Luke and Yoda.

Naanomi
2016-12-21, 01:33 PM
There are of course exceptions and refluffs but...

Sorcerers and Warlocks can both become their class by accident, obviously the easiest

Clerics and Druids may be next up... the Gods/Nature grant power at their own whim sometimes

Rangers and Barbarians are next. It may take a tough life to become one, but not 'effort' in a willful sense

Paladin is tough for me... it takes conviction but not a whole lot else. I'd put it in the middle somewhere.

Fighters, Rogues, Bards... all take some specialized training or experience

Wizards, Monks, (the current fluff on mystics): lifelong dedication and study/practice... not something you stumble on

Joe the Rat
2016-12-21, 02:05 PM
I'd consider swapping Paladin and Ranger - Developing good woodlore takes time and practice - probably moreso than the "wearing armor and praying hard" of the Paladin.
But Paladins are about the Oath - that's something you have to invest conviction into. You may not spend a ton of time preparing to be a holy warrior, but you typically don't dedicate your life to a cause by accident.
Far and away, I'd put wizarding as hardest. It's not something you'd be doing anyway.

Ravinsild
2016-12-21, 02:22 PM
Barbarian.

Step 1) Don't wear anything. Getting dressed is for people who care. You don't care.
Step 2) Get mad
Step 3) Hit things

GG you are Barbarian supremo. Best class in this game since AD&D

Quoxis
2016-12-21, 02:27 PM
If you consider "requires the least" to be actual work, yeah, being born with powers (sorc) takes the cake. No responsibilities like warlock or Cleric, no studying like wizard or training like the martial classes.
If you consider "i'm going out of my way to change myself and become better", most tribal barbarians are accustomed to hunting game and living in the wilderness anyway, basically "i grew up fighting, where's the difference?"
Adventuring may not be that much of a change of their lifestyle, therefore could be considered to be not bothersome and thus "low-req".

You can fluff about any class to be that though.
Barbarian? "Crod strong. Crod likes kill. Always did. Just could kill best. That why Crod live. People say natural talent. Crod not know what means. Crod no care. Crod kill."
Bard? "I liked singing and i listened to a local skald who was using magic songs. When i sang along, i saw i could do the same, how crazy is that?"
Cleric? "I told someone that [random deity] was better than [other random deity], and somehow i can cast [random deity 1]'s magic now. Cool, ain't it?"
Druid? "I couldn't stand people anymore, went to the forest, a crazy old dude told me to guard it with my life and taught me a few words, now i can turn into a freaking bear!"
Fighter? "I dunno, all i e'rr did was workin' my dad's farm, flailin' the wheat e'rry fall, and well, flailin' sum goblins ain't so diff'rent at all, y'hear me?"
Monk? ...well ok, not any of them i guess.
Pally? See Cleric. "Also i can swing a sword. That's uncommon i guess, but really not that hard."
Ranger? "Out in the wild, you either kill some or get eaten. Nothin' else travelling with those adventurers, just that the payday is better."
Rogue? "I'm a natural, quick with my hands and i'm fighting dirty. It's not cannon science."
Sorcerer? "My mom got banged by a dragon. I don't wanna talk about the specifics. Stop staring at my scales or i'll roast you."
Warlock? "Some day a random devil appeared before me and told me i'd get unimaginable magic power, and all i had to give him in return was my soul. I mean, who wouldn't have accepted that?"
Wizard? "Yeah well, i'm a natural as well. Remember some words, some finger-wiggling and BOOM, you can make it rain fire and death on your enemies."

As long as the DM plays along, all that is possible (the other way around too:
Warlock? "I spent 37 years of my life researching ways to summon a devil, and when i finally did, i talked him into granting me powers!"
Sorcerer? "I made a fortune by working my ass off and investing it right. Some day i stumbled upon i vial of dragon blood. I sold everything i had and more to get it, injected it and now i have these shiny scales. Jealous?")

Naanomi
2016-12-21, 09:37 PM
Wild Sorcerer can be even less effort than dragon in some ways... at least your ancestors had to do something to make you what you were. Wild sorcerer needs no reason at all; I played a 3.X sorcerer (would have been wild this edition) who got kicked in the head by a mule and woke up casting spells

Klorox
2016-12-21, 10:30 PM
Wild Sorcerer can be even less effort than dragon in some ways... at least your ancestors had to do something to make you what you were. Wild sorcerer needs no reason at all; I played a 3.X sorcerer (would have been wild this edition) who got kicked in the head by a mule and woke up casting spells

LOL, love it.

And to echo others, sorcerer requires zero training.

Tanarii
2016-12-22, 11:12 AM
Clerics. At least, in terms of power. Unlike Warlocks and Sorcerers, there doesn't seem to be any assumption they need to delve into ancient lores (Warlocks) or learn to control the power that's granted to them (both). Clerics just need faith, if they have it they can just make a prayer and the God grants their ability. Obviously they still need to be granted that power in the first place, but once they have it, it just works.

Now D&D Clerics have this weird thing of being warriors too, for a certain definition of 'warrior' ... Medium Armor, Shields & all Simple weapons is a pretty good warrior baseline IMO. They got that from somewhere. That's a far bigger barrier to entry of the class than 'Spellcasting' is.

NecessaryWeevil
2016-12-22, 03:01 PM
As I imagine sorcerors, becoming a sorceror might very well require nothing but inborn talent. But doing anything with that talent - becoming a noteworthy sorceror - requires a lot of introspection and experimentation with said talents in order to develop them.

Naanomi
2016-12-22, 03:31 PM
As I imagine sorcerors, becoming a sorceror might very well require nothing but inborn talent. But doing anything with that talent - becoming a noteworthy sorceror - requires a lot of introspection and experimentation with said talents in order to develop them.
For some, though I can easily imagine a sorcerer terrified of her power, unable to make it stop, barely able to channel it in ways that don't (usually) harm others... and that power just keeps growing

Temperjoke
2016-12-22, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I honestly don't think of any of the classes really being easier than the others. I mean, sure Sorcerers just inherit their powers, but they still need to learn how to use them. It's mechanics that just have them knowing spells, from an RP stance you would still need to learn to tap your power and practice it to be consistent. At least you don't have to spend all your time in a library like a wizard, or in a temple praying, like a cleric. Warlocks, you could think of them as being tutored, so to speak, instead of spending all their time studying books themselves, or they could just be magically invested with mystical energies and the knowledge to use it. Bard could spend hours practice instruments and songs, or maybe they just whistle for their magic.

All of the classes have that sort of potential laziness to them.

Millstone85
2016-12-22, 03:43 PM
For some, though I can easily imagine a sorcerer terrified of her power, unable to make it stop, barely able to channel it in ways that don't (usually) harm others... and that power just keeps growingIf you can't contain this swirling storm inside, then let the storm rage ooonn!

Theodoxus
2016-12-22, 03:50 PM
Now D&D Clerics have this weird thing of being warriors too, for a certain definition of 'warrior' ... Medium Armor, Shields & all Simple weapons is a pretty good warrior baseline IMO. They got that from somewhere. That's a far bigger barrier to entry of the class than 'Spellcasting' is.

I think this is just the same though. Since, say War, grants Heavy and martial weapon prof just for joining...

"Hi, my name is Tim, I'm a cleric of Kord. One day, I was sitting in the hay loft of my fathers barn and the local priest of Kord came by and asked if I'd like to join the church. I weren't doing nothing, so said 'sure.' Next I know, all this information come pouring into my thinker and I knew how to fight and wear armor, all magic like - just like the spells I can now fling."

ETA: Warlock and Cleric (and I suppose Paladin, using the same premise as Tim above) seem the most obvious. Request a higher power to give you nice things, and since you're a player character, boom, nice things are had.

Mundane classes all require a bit of training.

I don't get the distinction between monks and sorcerers (even mystics). it's all about personal growth. I'm pretty sure a sorcerer would have to practice a lot to figure out how to get his draconic blood to boil forth a fire bolt... just because it's internal doesn't mean it's innate. Little 3 year old Harold isn't going to run around Shocking Grasp his parents, just because daddy is a Storm Sorcerer...

CursedRhubarb
2016-12-22, 04:01 PM
I'd have to vote Bard and Cleric as the laziest. Clerics don't even need to be part of a church, just work as conduits for the Devine to cast through them as they reside in a building, never actually needing to adventure. They're basically just a spell focus for a Devine creature if you think about it.

Bards...Bards have to have the most potential to be the laziest. That moody guy in the back that just spouts off poetry about how nobody understands him and his creative soul. Sometimes adding the effort of finger snaps to his terrible, off-beat, and non-rhyming-rhymes that are somehow supposed to inspire people but tend to be more like a non-stop dribble of Not-So-Vicious Mockery.

Ravinsild
2016-12-22, 05:02 PM
I still say Barbarian. Doesn't require getting dressed. Have an anger problem which is easy to get. Swing recklessly. You don't even have to hit. The requirement is just that you swing in somethings general direction. 0 skills, talent, or effort required. GG you are the Barbarian.

NecessaryWeevil
2016-12-22, 05:52 PM
For some, though I can easily imagine a sorcerer terrified of her power, unable to make it stop, barely able to channel it in ways that don't (usually) harm others... and that power just keeps growing

Fair enough. Whatever makes the best story!

Addaran
2016-12-22, 06:02 PM
I think this is just the same though. Since, say War, grants Heavy and martial weapon prof just for joining...

"Hi, my name is Tim, I'm a cleric of Kord. One day, I was sitting in the hay loft of my fathers barn and the local priest of Kord came by and asked if I'd like to join the church. I weren't doing nothing, so said 'sure.' Next I know, all this information come pouring into my thinker and I knew how to fight and wear armor, all magic like - just like the spells I can now fling."

To be a first level Cleric would require a lot more then just joining. They are supposed to be super priest that can do miracle. Most normal priest would just be commoner with the Acolyte background.

And i'm pretty sure the heavy and martial prof is intended to be learned, not just a magical gift. Kord wants his followers to practice war, he wouldn't like lazy bums that don't know how to defend themselves.

Millstone85
2016-12-22, 06:25 PM
To be a first level Cleric would require a lot more then just joining. They are supposed to be super priest that can do miracle. Most normal priest would just be commoner with the Acolyte background.That's the idea sold by the PHB, but then you open the MM and read this:
Acolytes are junior members of a clergy, usually answerable to a priest. They perform a variety of functions in a temple and are granted minor spellcasting power by their deities.Not exactly a 1st level cleric but still, it is like the designers switched from a low magic setting to a high magic setting in between their first two sourcebooks.

Asmotherion
2016-12-22, 09:10 PM
-Is the dark side stronger?
-No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive

So, when the Wizard has to study ages to learn his first spells, the Sorcerer was born with the innate ability to do so, and the Warlock got it in less than a day (or innatly as well, if we take the 3.5 Warlock as an option for 5e). However, one had to face a tough childhood, persecuted for being "abnormal", wile the other has to deal with things he does not fully understand, and dedicate himself to make tough choices. They also both need dedication to develop their powers. In the end, non of them have it easy. As a matter of fact all classes revolve around tough choices and ages of dedication, backround-wise.

Barbarian: Dedication to training under harsh conditions
Bard: Dedication to art and knowlage
Cleric: Dedication to a deity
Druid: Dedication to nature
Fighter: Dedication to training and warfare
Monk: Dedication to martial arts and disipline
Paladin: Dedication to a Faith and Warfare
Ranger: Dedication to nature and physical skill
Rogue: Dedication to perfection of skill and agility
Sorcerer: Dedication to exploring Arcane Origin to the fullest
Wizard: Dedication to Arcane Knowlage
Warlock: Dedication to a tough choice

Out of them, I think the ones that have it easyer are actually Bards, as they dedicate themselves to their hobby, not to mention that this hobby comes with many benefits attached. Just sayin'...

Mechanics-wise now, the easyest classes to play are definitelly the Fighter and Barbarian, and are my default suggestion when someone new and unexperianced with D&D joins my table. Your in-combat interactions can be sumarised as "I attack this, move there" options, and, unless you are using a Archer fighter and/or Eldritch Knight, you need next to 0 bookkeeping. Ok, you must remember if you have action surged or not, and if a Champion, how many Superiority Dices you've used, or as a Barbarian, how many Rages you've left for the day, but that's nothing compared to spellslots, arrows, spell durations, used or unused concentration slot, smites, spell points etc.

Alternativelly, a Moon Druid that focuses only on being in animal form can do the exact same thing, but I find it less valuable to a player to learn how a monster fights than to learn proper combat mechanics.

Theodoxus
2016-12-22, 09:21 PM
To be a first level Cleric would require a lot more then just joining. They are supposed to be super priest that can do miracle. Most normal priest would just be commoner with the Acolyte background.

And i'm pretty sure the heavy and martial prof is intended to be learned, not just a magical gift. Kord wants his followers to practice war, he wouldn't like lazy bums that don't know how to defend themselves.

And going from Level 1 Wild Sorcerer to Level 1 War Cleric, just exactly where did all that training come from? Especially if the rest of the party is a barbarian, a rogue and a druid?

It's all magic.

Asmotherion
2016-12-22, 09:21 PM
LOL, love it.

And to echo others, sorcerer requires zero training.

Well, maybe to cast Cantrips and a couple LV1 spells. However what do you think level-ups translate as? Exploring what your innate powers can do needs training and dedication, in the same way you can innately punsh someone, but to give a good punsh you need to learn how-to and gain some muscle.

Naanomi
2016-12-22, 09:34 PM
Well, maybe to cast Cantrips and a couple LV1 spells. However what do you think level-ups translate as? Exploring what your innate powers can do needs training and dedication, in the same way you can innately punsh someone, but to give a good punsh you need to learn how-to and gain some muscle.
Again, I'm fine with the image of a font of magic power that grows stronger with use but not 'dedication' or 'intent' (or maybe despite of it!). My Sorcerer is terrified of her abilities, wants them 'cured' if possible... but the power just keeps coming, stronger and stronger every day

Hawkstar
2016-12-22, 10:13 PM
Well, maybe to cast Cantrips and a couple LV1 spells. However what do you think level-ups translate as? Exploring what your innate powers can do needs training and dedication, in the same way you can innately punsh someone, but to give a good punsh you need to learn how-to and gain some muscle.Or, in D&D, you can give good punches by punching a LOT of guys who need punching in the punchables.

Asmotherion
2016-12-22, 10:28 PM
Again, I'm fine with the image of a font of magic power that grows stronger with use but not 'dedication' or 'intent' (or maybe despite of it!). My Sorcerer is terrified of her abilities, wants them 'cured' if possible... but the power just keeps coming, stronger and stronger every day
Hmm, you're right... I can see that one happening... Perhaps I was too absolute to my analysis after all.

Addaran
2016-12-22, 10:58 PM
And going from Level 1 Wild Sorcerer to Level 1 War Cleric, just exactly where did all that training come from? Especially if the rest of the party is a barbarian, a rogue and a druid?

It's all magic.

By that logic, just by signing into a wizard school*, you magically get the knowledge to cast a bunch of spells, no study or hard work required! ;)

*as long as you're another class first, like a barbarian, rogue or druid.

hymer
2016-12-24, 03:44 AM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinions! :smallsmile:

TheUser
2016-12-24, 09:31 AM

Subtle spell sorcerer; you don't even need to wave your hands or say any words. You literally do magic without so much as lifting a finger