PDA

View Full Version : Making Items

SpiderKoopa
2007-07-17, 02:30 AM
I have a quick question,
In ad&d to make an item permanent you needed to use permanency and lose a con for the work you did, or could get someone else to lose that con for you... In 3.5, xp is needed instead of con. Can you get someone else to donate the experience for you? Or was it lost in translation?

Alleine
2007-07-17, 02:33 AM
Small peasant villages can, um, "donate" XP.

SpiderKoopa
2007-07-17, 02:36 AM
I don't think so, I'm way above their cr.
Forgot to mention, lv20 rank 1 divine. ^^;;

Alleine
2007-07-17, 02:40 AM
Well, I'm out of ideas...

Wait! What if you caused them to swarm? That would up the CR and the exp they could "donate"

B!shop
2007-07-17, 03:48 AM
I'm not sure but I don't think it's possible.

My idea in the change for permanence on object was made because losing XPs is less "permanent" than losing CON.
You can always gain more XPs later.

Fixer
2007-07-17, 08:02 AM
In Book of Vile Darkness there are rules to use sacrifice to gain XP for creating magic items. The items created in this method are automatically considered 'evil' items.

Swooper
2007-07-17, 08:20 AM
There are rules in the PHB2 for letting others take (part of) the xp cost for creating magical items. I don't remember them off the top of my head though, and I'm at work so I can't check. I remember them being more like ideas or guidelines on how to do it though, rather than actual rules.

Anxe
2007-07-17, 08:53 AM
I don't think you actually need the exp if you're divine. Regardless, there are optional rules where someone else can donate the exp, but not under a charm or dominate effect. They have to actually be willing to do so.

mostlyharmful
2007-07-17, 09:05 AM
anyone can contribute to the creation requirements for making magic items, eg. someone with the creation feat, someone with the required level for the project and someone with the contribution of xp can work together. This is covered in the DMG, it's why eperianced wizards take on apprentices, how magocracies craft huge numbers of items and why wizards that open magic shops can still level up, if you get the client to donate the xp on their big buy then you can still improve as a mage while still making a big pile of cash.