PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer-based Knight of the Thorn

danielxcutter
2016-12-21, 08:36 AM
Thought exercise.

Knight of the Thorn is a Dragonlance prestige class for arcane gishes: 7/10 BAB, full arcane casting progress, and some okay class features... Although you do have to be Lawful Evil.

Anyone have advice for a Sorcerer-based one, outside the obvious stuff? Specifically, a human Fighter 2/Sorcerer 2/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5/KotT X.

Vaz
2016-12-21, 08:39 AM
If it's not Blending setting specific stuff, Zhentarim Sky Mage? Cha focus eventually nets you something like an 18HD creature without undue cheese.

Grim Reader
2016-12-21, 08:53 AM
If you're going to be a lawful evil Cha-caster, is there not some Antipaladin-esque alternative to fighter that will net you full BaB and Cha to saves ?

danielxcutter
2016-12-21, 05:51 PM
If it's not Blending setting specific stuff, Zhentarim Sky Mage? Cha focus eventually nets you something like an 18HD creature without undue cheese.

Mixing setting specific prestige classes is not a problem. But still, I'm not sure about the flavor... not to mention that I see no way to use this with KotT without using it as a dip. A Fighter 1/Sorcerer 4/ZSM 5/EK ot KP X would be powerful and hit the required +16 BAB and 9th-level spells, though.

If you're going to be a lawful evil Cha-caster, is there not some Antipaladin-esque alternative to fighter that will net you full BaB and Cha to saves ?

Oh, you mean Paladin of Tyranny? I know, but to be honest it kinda rubs me the wrong way. I suppose that fluff-wise you could say that the character awakened latent arcane powers(read: levels in Sorcerer) after becoming a Paladin, but the "Sorcadin" build is rather trite by now.

Flickerdart
2016-12-21, 05:58 PM
Obviously, a Knight of the Thorn should have the thorniest spells around. Take Arcane Disciple and see if your DM lets you create a Thorn domain:

Domain power: Woodland Stride

Spells:
1: Urchin's Spines (Stormwrack)
2: Whip of Thorns (Champions of Ruin)
3: Thornskin (Complete Arcane)
4: Wall of Thorns
5: Poison Thorns (Complete Divine)
6: ???
7: Death by Thorns (Book of Vile Darkness)
8: ???
9: ???

danielxcutter
2016-12-21, 06:01 PM
Obviously, a Knight of the Thorn should have the thorniest spells around. Take Arcane Disciple and see if your DM lets you create a Thorn domain:

Domain power: Woodland Stride

Spells:
1: Urchin's Spines (Stormwrack)
2: Whip of Thorns (Champions of Ruin)
3: Thornskin (Complete Arcane)
4: Wall of Thorns
5: Poison Thorns (Complete Divine)
6: ???
7: Death by Thorns (Book of Vile Darkness)
8: ???
9: ???

*Groan* Seriously? :smallannoyed:

Also, I said that this was a thought exercise - no homebrew allowed.

Kish
2016-12-21, 06:52 PM
There is something fundamentally off about, "I want to make a Knight of the Thorn, but I specifically don't want an evil paladin, for theme reasons."

danielxcutter
2016-12-21, 08:01 PM
There is something fundamentally off about, "I want to make a Knight of the Thorn, but I specifically don't want an evil paladin, for theme reasons."

*shrug* Just because you're LE doesn't mean that you have to be a Paladin of Tyranny. It would work great, I just want to see something else.

Kish
2016-12-22, 10:45 AM
It's not a matter of "just because you're LE." It's a matter of "the prestige class is specifically about being a member of Dragonlance's evil paladin order."

danielxcutter
2016-12-22, 05:40 PM
It's not a matter of "just because you're LE." It's a matter of "the prestige class is specifically about being a member of Dragonlance's evil paladin order."

The class itself is for arcane gishes. Yes, being a member of the PrC means that fluff-wise, you're a member of the arcane branch of Anti-paladins(for lack of a better term). Crunch-wise, however, it's not a requirement at all.

Kish
2016-12-24, 09:59 AM
And if you hadn't indicated thematic dislike for "the 'Sorcadin' build," I would have just shrugged at the latest forum iteration of "how do I optimize this chassis while dismissing everything about the class's role in the setting as fluff?" but you did. And, as I said:

ZamielVanWeber
2016-12-24, 12:58 PM
What about a crusader instead of fighter? Gives you Cha to saves, a few manuvers, and the delayed damage pool to work with. It also means that if you want higher manuvers off of martial study you have better access.