PDA

View Full Version : Fun UA 'PHB2' character concepts

MinotaurWarrior
2016-12-21, 12:11 PM
I'm curious what fun concepts y'all might have based just around the new UA archetypes. Low level, mid level, high level - mechanical exploits and inspired backrounds. Enough has been released that I think it's worth looking at everything together, instead of just article-by-article.

Ex.

Champion of Deceit:

Bugbear Trickster Paladin 3 / College of Whispers 3 / Assassin 3
Can you say ambush? 4d6(Dual Short Swords)+4d6(Sneak Attack)+4d6(surprise attack)+4d6(Venemous Blades)+4d6(Thunderous Smite)+12d8(Regular Smites)+23(PoisonStrike)+ASM damage ~ 150 damage. And, arguably more important, you get to roll 32 dice!

Miles Glorioso:

Variant Human (Warcaster) Oath of Conquest 10 / Knight 4 / College of Glamour 6

You stand at the head of the van, staring down a vast horde of enemies. Your devil horse moves+dashes up to enemy lines with with the rest of your elite cavalry, you cast fear, run 20ft into enemy ranks (absorbing any laughable AoO from their unarmed strikes), use mantle of inspiration on your horse + four other horses, remount, use thunderclap for your AoO when the enemies get their turn and must flee. That's your bold entrance into combat, punching completely through six ranks.

Then you've got four more uses of Mantle of Inspiration (aka summon reinforcements), you can keep following fleeing enemies for the extra 4d6 (14) AoE damage, re-casting fear when needed, or maybe turning on Warding Wind and relying on Mantle of Majesty to command your enemies around, as needed.

And, outside of this ridiculous wargame-esque scenario, you're still pretty good, with a very tactical playstyle and a decent nova (Action Surge smite).

DracoKnight
2016-12-21, 12:38 PM
I'm pretty sure that the spell AoO granted by War Caster can only target one person.

MinotaurWarrior
2016-12-23, 11:28 AM
Minion Master:

Shepherd 6 / College of Glamor 5 / Protection 1 / Glamor More

Level 9: Say hello to my screen of four 60HP Giant Octopus defenders, or the four 40HP brown bears going into the fray on my behalf. I can heal them and tactically call them towards me 5/rest.

Level 11: Introducing Glyph of Warding to this combo, so you can substitute that for a short rest and concentrate on a buff like, say, pass without trace for animal ambushes. Giant Octopi have +5 to stealth, btw, and a creature that gets restrained by their 15ft reach grapple attack is usually gonna be pretty useless from that point on.

Level 12: Not in the mood for Stealth octopi? Well, now you can cast bless and get an army of blessed bears.

Level 17: Magical Secrets: Crusaders Mantle.

Oramac
2016-12-23, 11:47 AM
The Beastmaster

Vuman, Magic Initiate: Wizard for Find Familiar

Revised Ranger 10 / Moon Druid 10.

You have a familiar beast, your beast companion, and you turn into a beast.

As a druid, use Conjure Woodland Beings to get eight CR1/4 creatures as well.