PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Vessel of Souls (Warlock Patron)

Vlos
2016-12-21, 01:07 PM
I have created a Warlock Patron that relies on Spirits.

I used naturalcrit.com to mark it.
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkOv_NO4e

rudy
2016-12-21, 06:36 PM
Balanced but obviously nothing super unique here. It's something I would probably allow as a GM, except maybe not Healing Word as a Warlock spell.

Vlos
2016-12-22, 09:36 AM
Thanks for feedback.

... except maybe not Healing Word as a Warlock spell.
I was/am trying to give it a bit of Shaman(Spirit) feel with the spell selection.

Since warlocks get a limited number of spells, they have to choose from providing a bit of healing or DMG.

As you mentioned nothing really unique here, more for character flavor.

Sariel Vailo
2016-12-22, 09:44 AM
i like this class

JNAProductions
2016-12-22, 02:37 PM
Raise Dead is the spell I have concern about. Healing Word seems fine to me.

I'd make Echoed Words a once per short rest ability, and have the pool refresh on a long rest.

But really, looks pretty good!

Vlos
2016-12-22, 02:54 PM
Again - thanks for input.

My logic behind raise dead, was since they can see spirits, they could talk the original spirit back into the body.

I'd make Echoed Words a once per short rest ability, and have the pool refresh on a long rest.

I reworded it as my intention was similar to what you were asking.

At the 14th level, the Vessel of Souls can choose to use an action to drain the life force of any spirits currently possessing them, restoring a number of hit points.
A total maximum of hit points equal to 5x the number of spirits possessing the warlock (1 per warlock level) to any willing creatures within 60 feet of the Warlock.
The healing amount can be distributed and split as the Vessel of Souls wishes, but only one target can be healed during a single action. This can be used any time as long as the Vessel of Souls still has spirits to power this ability.
Any spirit which is drained in this way is cleansed/removed from the Vessel of Souls body. Only after a long rest are any missing souls replenished when a new spirit enters their body. The old spirit is drained/gone and will never return to their body (used up their lifeforce).
Note: If the Vessel of Souls drains ALL spirits from their body in this manner, then all other VoS features will cease to function until after their next long rest.

JNAProductions
2016-12-22, 02:55 PM
Two things: As written, it's usable at-will (similar to Lay on Hands)-I think it should be a once per short rest ability. The Warlock is not a healer, so allowing them to do that at-will is a bit much, even with the limited pool.

Two-HOLY CRAP THIS CLASS IS EVIL! You're killing spirits forever!

Vlos
2016-12-22, 02:59 PM
Two things: As written, it's usable at-will (similar to Lay on Hands)-I think it should be a once per short rest ability. The Warlock is not a healer, so allowing them to do that at-will is a bit much, even with the limited pool.

Two-HOLY CRAP THIS CLASS IS EVIL! You're killing spirits forever!
I changed it so they have to use an action per heal and can only heal a single target per action. Not sure if that makes it better. I could switch it back to once per short rest, but then would make it so they can heal any number of targets per a single action.

Guess RAW, yeah it kills them, was thinking more it uses their lifeforce which is allowing them to stay on the material plane, which then forces them to the afterlife. Not sure how to write it that way?

JNAProductions
2016-12-22, 03:01 PM
I changed it so they have to use an action per heal and can only heal a single target per action. Not sure if that makes it better. I could switch it back to once per short rest, but then would make it so they can heal any number of targets per a single action.

Guess RAW, yeah it kills them, was thinking more it uses their lifeforce which is allowing them to stay on the material plane, which then forces them to the afterlife. Not sure how to write it that way?

I think unlimited targets, but once per short rest is the way to go. One target at-will is basically Lay On Hands+, since it works at a range.

And hrm...

"Any spirit used in this way has its vitality-that which keeps it bound to the material plane-consumed, forcing them into their afterlife."

Vlos
2016-12-22, 03:26 PM
Great input! thanks
Re-write:

At the 14th level, the Vessel of Souls can choose to use an action (once per short rest) to drain the life force of any(or all) the spirits currently possessing them, restoring a number of hit points.

A total maximum of hit points equal to 5x the number of spirits possessing the warlock (1 per warlock level) to any willing creatures within 60 feet of the Warlock.

The healing amount can be distributed to any number of targets and split as the Vessel of Souls wishes. This can be usedwhile the Vessel of Souls still has spirits to power this ability and once per short rest.

Any spirit which is drained in this way has it's vitality (the force which keeps it bound to the material plane) consumed and the spirit leaves the Vessel of Souls body. Only after a long rest are any missing souls replenished when a new spirit enters their body.

Note: If the Vessel of Souls drains ALL spirits from their body in this manner, then all other VoS features will cease to function until after their next long rest.

Vlos
2016-12-22, 03:45 PM
Also added a link to my simple "Spirit" generator page under "GMing Tips".

faustin
2016-12-22, 04:31 PM
Have you considered changing part of the spell list according to the possesing spirit? Stansfield, for example, could share some spells related with deception, like ventriloquism.

Vlos
2016-12-22, 10:07 PM
@fau: Hadn't consider that, but it's an interesting idea.
Would need to create some base spells lists for each of the different types of spirits.
Not sure if you would go by alignment, profession,or what.
Think it might be a bit too hard, but something one could do.

One option would be to have base spell list, then based on "Dominate" spirit possibly one additional spell (though again what to base it on) that the character could select.

You would want to limit it only to dominate spirits (if we went that way) otherwise it would give too much leeway to the character.