PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Need help building an NPC unarmed combatant.

John Longarrow
2016-12-21, 01:54 PM
Goblin Girl (Gege) started out as a non-combatant goblin. In the course of an adventure she fought a 6th level monk to a stand still with only her knife and drew first blood before said monk finally landed a hit and dropped her. She didn't die though but was left for dead. As the only survivor of the tribe she has set herself on a quest to find and beat the monk that she had faced.

Skip forward some odd years.

I'm now trying to work out a build starting at 5th level going up for Gege. She's grown into having an elite array. She has two main requirements for this build; Must be a good unarmed combatant AND no levels in monk.

Any help / suggested builds would be appreciated!

NOTE: Trying to stick to non-setting specific books, so no Forgotten realms/Ebberon.

Diovid
2016-12-21, 02:02 PM
Barbarian with the City-Brawler variant (and potentially the Whirling Frenzy variant) going into Fist of the Forest or Frostrager?

Unarmed Swordsage?

Look into things like the Superior Unarmed Strike feat, the Snap Kick feat, a Fanged Ring, a Necklace of Natural Weapons and a Monk's Belt.

John Longarrow
2016-12-21, 02:13 PM
The tentative build I've been using is
Lvl 1 - Barbarian-1 (Feat improved unarmed strike)
Lvl 2 - Ranger-1 (FE: Human - Monk was human)
Lvl 3 - Ranger-2 (TWF) (Feat Superior unarmed Strike)
Lvl 4 - Swordsage-1
Lvl 5 - Swordsage-2
Lvl 6 - Fighter-1 (Feat-Shadow blade, Bonus - Weapon Finesse)
Lvl 7 - Fighter-2 (Bonus - Improved Toughness)

So far this has made for a mean little thug who can pound on most monks of similar level. Just not sure if its the best way to build her up though.

NOTE: I don't use Psionics, incarnum, or binders.

Seerow
2016-12-21, 02:24 PM
I'm just going to assume that Swordsage is off the table.

Diovid's recommendation of City Brawler Barbarian is a great starting point. For a build that's being designed for 5th level though, I'd only go one level there. From there I think I would actually recommend Psionic Warrior.

Barb 1 gets you Unarmed Strike proficiency and Rage. I would definitely recommend either Whirling Frenzy or Ferocity, both fit well flavorwise with an unarmed combatant, the bonus attack from whirling frenzy especially will be particularly useful.

Psionic Warrior nabs you some bonus feats (lots of useful unarmed focus feats), and 4 levels of it only loses 1 BAB. Most importantly though the psionics gives you access to lots of great options for boosting your unarmed damage and enhanced mobility.

If you're looking for pure martial and no Monk your best bet is probably four levels of Fighter assuming the build is ending at level 5. If you're planning to advance further continuing in Barbarian and/or looking for some monk-targeted prestige classes could be in order.