PDA

View Full Version : Need some help spitballing build ideas for 3.5/P

Adalid
2016-12-21, 02:14 PM
Hello playgrounders! I'm playing a game later today and for the life of me I can't decide what I want to play. I really enjoy playing gishes and maneuver based classes. So the obvious have come to mind like magus and jade phoenix mage. I even looked at the warlock vigilante (but it might be a little high op for this, from what ive read everyone says it's mediocre at best). I was wondering if anyone had any unique gish ideas that would be fun to play. Our party so far is a malconvoker, bloodstorm blade, knight (i think he's going to change that), and last undecided. Any help is appreciated thank you.

edit: I forgot to mention, playing a warweaver gish almost had me sold but I wasnt sure how to go about it.

Seerow
2016-12-21, 02:36 PM
I hope for the Knight's sake he does change, he won't be contributing much in that game.

As for a fun gish idea that might be a little different, it depends on where you're drawing the line at for Gishing. If you're looking for a full Wizard with a warrior Chasis, Jade Phoenix Mage or Abjurant Champion are really impossible to beat, and you'll just play the same thing.

Personally, to me, a Gish is a martial character with a splash of magic to augment, so a full Wizard chasis is overkill. My favorite gish I've played came off the chasis of a Stalwart Battle Sorcerer (read: a sorcerer who has 2 fewer spells known per spell level than normal, min 1; in exchange for a sizable boost to HP, medium BAB, and some weapon/armor proficiencies); his magical options were ridiculously limited by caster standards, but it was enough to let him gish it up, and each spell he had was a major thematic part of him instead of just one more tool in the toolbox.

Warlock Gishes seem to also have a bit of fun potential but I haven't had a chance to play one of those yet. I did have some success with a Knight of the Sacred Seal, using Binding to provide a bit of versatility to a martial character. Totemist is basically a gish in a can that isn't too bad if you like incarnum. Tashalatora makes Monk 1/Psywar19 a really fun "Better monk than monk" gish.

Adalid
2016-12-21, 02:42 PM
I hope for the Knight's sake he does change, he won't be contributing much in that game.

As for a fun gish idea that might be a little different, it depends on where you're drawing the line at for Gishing. If you're looking for a full Wizard with a warrior Chasis, Jade Phoenix Mage or Abjurant Champion are really impossible to beat, and you'll just play the same thing.

Personally, to me, a Gish is a martial character with a splash of magic to augment, so a full Wizard chasis is overkill. My favorite gish I've played came off the chasis of a Stalwart Battle Sorcerer (read: a sorcerer who has 2 fewer spells known per spell level than normal, min 1; in exchange for a sizable boost to HP, medium BAB, and some weapon/armor proficiencies); his magical options were ridiculously limited by caster standards, but it was enough to let him gish it up, and each spell he had was a major thematic part of him instead of just one more tool in the toolbox.

Warlock Gishes seem to also have a bit of fun potential but I haven't had a chance to play one of those yet. I did have some success with a Knight of the Sacred Seal, using Binding to provide a bit of versatility to a martial character. Totemist is basically a gish in a can that isn't too bad if you like incarnum. Tashalatora makes Monk 1/Psywar19 a really fun "Better monk than monk" gish.
Thanks for the reply, I'm reading the warlock handbook as I type this to get a better idea of the class.

mastermisha1
2016-12-21, 02:52 PM
On the divine side of things, both Divine Crusader and Ordained Champion make for an awesome gish.