PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Mul for a PC. Balanced? Flavorful enough?

hellgrammite
2016-12-21, 02:54 PM
A PC requested the chance to be a Mul for a 5e game, and I wanted to try and create something that was balanced but flavorful. Wanted to get feedback. Thanks.

Mul

Ability score increases: Constitution +2, Strength +1

Darkvision - 60ft

Size - Medium

Bred to Work - You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you
can push, drag, or lift.

Vitality - At the end of a short rest, you may reduce an exhaustion level you have by one.
After you use this trait, you can’t use it again until you finish long rest.

Resiliant - You gain the benefits of a long rest in 6 hours instead of 8.
In addition, at the end of a long rest, you regain all of your spent hit dice, instead of the normal half.

Resolute - Whenever you make a Strength or Constitution saving throw or a saving throw against being incapacitated, paralyzed, or stunned , you may spend a Hit Die without gaining hit points. If you do, you have advantage on the saving throw.

Languages - Dwarven and Common

rudy
2016-12-21, 05:59 PM
I like it. The resting thing could be anywhere from "meh" to "critical" depending on the availability of magical healing.

Also makes Berserker Barbarians actually playable with the exhaustion thing.

Vlos
2016-12-22, 10:17 PM
I like, I think the last ability "Resolute" needs a bit clearer wording.

Ziegander
2016-12-22, 11:54 PM
Looks balanced and flavorful to me, I really like it! Resolute seems perfectly clear.

hellgrammite
2016-12-26, 04:04 PM
Thanks for feedback. After talking over with my local playgroup as well, I made a few changes, notably to add some features to note the harsh battle nature that Muls face (slave labor/gladiator fighting) is pretty much their existence. The gladiator/pit fighter trait emphasizes their effectiveness with little to no weaponry.

Mul

Ability score increases: Constitution +2, Strength +1

Darkvision - 60ft

Size - Medium

Dwarven Stoutness - You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you
can push, drag, or lift.

Vitality - Whenever you would gain a level of exhaustion, you may instead immediately expend a hit dice
without gaining hit points. If you do, this instance of exhaustion ends. This feature does not work on exhaustion
caused by a lack of food or water.

Tireless - At the end of a long rest, you regain all of your spent hit dice, instead of the normal half.

Gladiator Pit Training - You have proficient in improvised weapons, unarmed strikes and a martial weapon of you choice.
Your unarmed strike deals a d4 for damage. In addition, whenever you have advantage against an adjacent creature, you can attempt
to grapple it as a free-action if you have a free-hand.

Languages - Dwarven and Common