PDA

View Full Version : Spheres of Power Ask Me Anything #2

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Adam Meyers
2016-12-21, 04:29 PM
So I have been informed that, once a threat hits about 50 pages (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?415365-The-Creator-of-Spheres-of-Power-Here-Ask-Me-Anything), it's considered good manners to create a new thread to sort of 'restart' the process. As such, here we are with the SoP AMA, thread #2!

Go ahead and post in here any questions, comments, concerns, or anything else you'd like to say to us, and thanks in advance!

stack
2016-12-21, 05:08 PM
Q1: Regarding telekinetic maneuvers, will there be any errata regarding using maneuvers with creature size limits since currently you appear to be limited by your actuall size regardless of caster level?

Midnightninja
2016-12-21, 07:18 PM
I discovered Spheres of Power a couple months back. I found the previous thread and read through it. I want to say thank you. I HATE vancian magic and Spheres is AMAZING. I ordered the hardcover+PDF about a week ago, and I'll be getting it right before Christmas. :smallsmile:

Thank you, Adam, for taking the time to regularly talk to the fan community here on GITP, and for continuing the conversation once the first thread got to long.

Q2: I was looking at casting traditions on the SoP wiki (I'd link to it for everyone, but this is my first GITP post and I can't post links until I have 10 posts) and it references, but doesn't define, the Divine Crusader casting tradition. What book is that from, and can you tell us what drawbacks and boons go along with it?

Q3: Are there any plans to work on a Spheres conversion document for the Bestiaries? Or any official-ish rules for converting spell casting monsters into Spherecasting monsters?

Q4: Was the inspiration for the elementalist the Last Air-bender franchise? If not, what inspired it? I ask because the elementalist is everything that the, tremendously disappointing, kineticist should have been, and the elementalist was the first class I read on the wiki that I think I fell in love with.

Once again, thank you for this incredible magic system.

Mehangel
2016-12-21, 08:03 PM
Q2: I was looking at casting traditions on the SoP wiki (I'd link to it for everyone, but this is my first GITP post and I can't post links until I have 10 posts) and it references, but doesn't define, the Divine Crusader casting tradition. What book is that from, and can you tell us what drawbacks and boons go along with it?

A2: Divine Crusader is a Casting Tradition from the Player's Guide to Skybourne (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/173399/The-Players-Guide-to-Skybourne). Traditions therein listed, have a set Casting Ability Modifier. So while the standard Divine Petitioner has Wisdom as its CAM, the subdivision of Divine Crusader uses Charisma instead, but is otherwise indistinguishable from the Divine Petitioner and have the following Drawbacks: Aligned Combatant (Destruction), Aligned Protection (Protection), Focus Casting, Prepared Caster, and Verbal Casting; The Divine Crusader would also gain +1 spell point at every odd level they gain in a spherecasting class.

Q3: Are there any plans to work on a Spheres conversion document for the Bestiaries? Or any official-ish rules for converting spell casting monsters into Spherecasting monsters?

A3: What you are looking for is Fantastical Creatures and Where to Survive them (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/199609/Fantastical-Creatures--How-to-Survive-Them-A-Students-Guide-for-Adventure-and-Study?src=newest).

Q4: Was the inspiration for the elementalist the Last Air-bender franchise? If not, what inspired it? I ask because the elementalist is everything that the, tremendously disappointing, kineticist should have been, and the elementalist was the first class I read on the wiki that I think I fell in love with.

A4: (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19272052&postcount=26)
The concept behind the Elementalists was actually that of a magical monk: combatants who use magic instead of ki to enhance their combat capabilities. Think Avatar: The Last Airbender, if that helps.

stack
2016-12-21, 08:07 PM
Regarding Q3: the adventure bestiary isn't really a complete answer to the question. It doesn't provide guidelines or attempt to convert monsters aside from what the adventure needs. Additionally, some of the monsters within use the same name/inspiration as other published monsters without being straight conversions. It's a start, but we could still use a full bestiary book.

khadgar567
2016-12-22, 01:10 AM
​Q5 okay small question lets say i have a new talent which boosts my stats every(and stacks with it self) turn long as i concentrate how much spell points the talent costs

AlienFromBeyond
2016-12-22, 01:26 AM
Do you happen to know if the Electrokinetic's (elementalist archetype for Telekinetics book) Particle Blade is supposed to scale with size? Feels odd to have a Tiny creature has just as powerful a blade as a Gargantuan one, which it kind of reads like it does currently.

What sphere book can we expect next? I read that it might be the War Handbook.

AmberVael
2016-12-22, 10:51 AM
Q6 Do you happen to know if the Electrokinetic's (elementalist archetype for Telekinetics book) Particle Blade is supposed to scale with size? Feels odd to have a Tiny creature has just as powerful a blade as a Gargantuan one, which it kind of reads like it does currently.

Q7 What sphere book can we expect next? I read that it might be the War Handbook.

A6 Particle Blade intentionally does not scale with size. Regardless of the size of the creature wielding it, it does the same amount of damage.

A7 The War Handbook is intended to be the next handbook released, yes.

Flame_Effigy
2016-12-22, 02:27 PM
These might've been answered in the previous thread, so I apologize for that.

1. Are the extra talents you get from taking a drawback retroactive?
For example, I take a few drawbacks for a specific sphere which bumps me up to 5 drawbacks. Do I now get an extra talent for every level I have?

2. Have you put any thought to how Spheres interacts with Revised Action Economy from Unchained?

stack
2016-12-22, 02:38 PM
These might've been answered in the previous thread, so I apologize for that.

Q8 Are the extra talents you get from taking a drawback retroactive?
For example, I take a few drawbacks for a specific sphere which bumps me up to 5 drawbacks. Do I now get an extra talent for every level I have?

Q9 Have you put any thought to how Spheres interacts with Revised Action Economy from Unchained?

(edited for sequencing)

A8: Sphere specific drawbacks each grant a single talent in that sphere and have no relation to the bonus spell points from general drawbacks. Usually general drawbacks are fixed at character creation unless you are using the option rules for multiple traditions, which also split your caster level.Even sphere-specific drawbacks SHOULD be set as part of your tradition, but many people don't bother to set them until the sphere is taken.

Q9:I can't answer this one, so just commenting that I don't recall seeing any discussions on it. I believe those rules have translation for standard, swift, etc, so I would use whatever the normal conversion is. Could look at each step in terms of how many actions it takes, but I don't know the system enough to say where that would need adjustments.

Mehangel
2016-12-22, 02:45 PM
Q8: Are the extra talents you get from taking a drawback retroactive?

A8: I think you are failing to understand one or two things about casting tradition.

You may only gain general drawbacks when you first gain the casting class feature (or Advanced Magical Training).
You gain extra spell points for each general drawback not bought off with boons, which scale with level.
You only gain sphere drawbacks when you first gain the sphere.
You only gain a single (1) bonus talent per sphere drawback.
You may buyoff sphere drawbacks by giving up a single talent.

TLDR; You only get a total number of bonus talents equal to the number of SPHERE-SPECIFIC drawbacks you have. You only gain general drawbacks the first time you gain the casting class feature, thus impossible to 'retroactively' gain spell points because gaining additional drawbacks is not strictly supported (unless you are using the alternate rules about having separate spell point pools & casting traditions per class).

Flame_Effigy
2016-12-22, 05:11 PM
Oops, you're right. I was lumping Sphere specific drawbacks in with General drawbacks for the purpose of determining bonus points.
Talents before was a typo.

thanks!

digiman619
2016-12-22, 05:33 PM
Oops, you're right. I was lumping Sphere specific drawbacks in with General drawbacks for the purpose of determining bonus points.
Talents before was a typo.

thanks!

Yeah. If and when the Ultimate Spheres book comes out, renaming the the general or sphere specific drawback might be a good idea. Flaw or fault, perhaps?

masterjoda99
2016-12-22, 05:34 PM
Q9: In the previous thread someone asked how to build a spheres of power jedi, but how would one build the pokemon Mewtwo or Akuma from Street Fighter using Spheres of Power?

Vhaidara
2016-12-22, 05:38 PM
Mewtwo is definitely a lot of Mind/Telekinesis from what i recall. Possibly a side order of Destruction.

Akuma is much better represented by Path of War from Dreamscarred Press, but Spheres could represent the various attacks he uses via destruction pretty easily. it just wouldn't do so while also capturing his non-supernatural capability at the same time

digiman619
2016-12-22, 06:32 PM
Q9: In the previous thread someone asked how to build a spheres of power jedi, but how would one build the pokemon Mewtwo or Akuma from Street Fighter using Spheres of Power?

Well, ignoring his physical form (obviously a custom race made with the ARG would probably be a good idea), the Symbiat class is what you're looking for. Definitely nab the Destruction sphere (the Explosive Orb shape in particular seems Mewtwo-ish) as well as the Focused Blast Type Group feat to help it scale. Depending on which incarnation of the character you're doing, a bit of Illusion and/or War might also be appropriate.

As for Akuma, I'd probably go elementalist, Destruction is obviously important here, as is a bit of Warp to deal with his phasing/teleports. The big problem with making Akuma in SoP is that it'll be hard to translate the Satsui No Hado. I honestly have no idea how to make that work.

Midnightninja
2016-12-24, 04:54 PM
From Mehangel:
A2: Divine Crusader is a Casting Tradition from the Player's Guide to Skybourne]. Traditions therein listed, have a set Casting Ability Modifier. So while the standard Divine Petitioner has Wisdom as its CAM, the subdivision of Divine Crusader uses Charisma instead, but is otherwise indistinguishable from the Divine Petitioner and have the following Drawbacks: Aligned Combatant (Destruction), Aligned Protection (Protection), Focus Casting, Prepared Caster, and Verbal Casting; The Divine Crusader would also gain +1 spell point at every odd level they gain in a spherecasting class.

Thank you for clearing that up.

Don't know how I managed to forget about that while reading through the first thread.

[QUOTE=stack;21518084]Regarding Q3: the adventure bestiary isn't really a complete answer to the question. It doesn't provide guidelines or attempt to convert monsters aside from what the adventure needs. Additionally, some of the monsters within use the same name/inspiration as other published monsters without being straight conversions. It's a start, but we could still use a full bestiary book.

That's more along the lines of what I was asking about.

RedMop
2016-12-30, 09:04 PM
Q11: How is the Hidden Blade priced? The listed price is 49,000.

A +3 glamoured longsword is (3*3*2000+2700+300+15) = 21,015 gp.

a +3 illusion staff is (3*3*2000) = 18,000 gp.

That totals up to be 18,000 + 21015 = 39,015.

With the 1.5 multplier, it could be either of these:
21,015 + 18.000*1.5 = 48,015
(20700*1.5+315) + 18,000 = 49,365

I'm trying to make something similar. +3 transformative (weapon), +3 alteration sphere, and I'm trying to price it.

Edit added the Q

Mehangel
2016-12-30, 09:34 PM
Q11 How is the Hidden Blade priced? The listed price is 49,000.

A +3 glamoured longsword is (3*3*2000+2700+300+15) = 21,015 gp.

a +3 illusion staff is (3*3*2000) = 18,000 gp.

That totals up to be 18,000 + 21015 = 39,015.

With the 1.5 multplier, it could be either of these:
21,015 + 18.000*1.5 = 48,015
(20700*1.5+315) + 18,000 = 49,365

I'm trying to make something similar. +3 transformative (weapon), +3 alteration sphere, and I'm trying to price it.

A11 In Pathfinder, generally when combining magical items, the cheaper of the two items is multiplied by 1.5; Thus your example of 21,015 + (18,000*1.5), would be more accurate.

digiman619
2016-12-30, 09:41 PM
A11 In Pathfinder, generally when combining magical items, the cheaper of the two items is multiplied by 1.5; Thus your example of 21,015 + (18,000*1.5), would be more accurate.

Then where does the extra 985 gp come from?

EDIT: Also looking over Monk archetypes, I noticed that in theory a Drunken Master Beastsoul Monk can have effectively infinite SP in the Alteration sphere as long as they have a steady source of drinks (perhaps by taking a dip into a regular spherecasting class and taking the creation sphere after Monk 4).

stack
2016-12-30, 10:34 PM
Also looking over Monk archetypes, I noticed that in theory a Drunken Master Beastsoul Monk can have effectively infinite SP in the Alteration sphere as long as they have a steady source of drinks (perhaps by taking a dip into a regular spherecasting class and taking the creation sphere after Monk 4).

...forgot about the ki renewal on that one. Your CL won't be very good, so I doubt it is much of a problem since you are only using it in the alteration sphere. Drinking to better turn into a water elemental is amuudiang at least.

RedMop
2016-12-31, 03:16 PM

It actually depends on the order things are added. In the below example, if the ring of invisibility has a +2 ring of protection added, the ring of protection would be multiplied by 1.5. That said, neither one of thise totals up to be 49,000.

Adding New Abilities
If the item is one that occupies a specific place on a character's body, the cost of adding any additional ability to that item increases by 50%. For example, if a character adds the power to confer invisibility to her ring of protection +2, the cost of adding this ability is the same as for creating a ring of invisibility multiplied by 1.5.

digiman619
2016-12-31, 03:46 PM
...forgot about the ki renewal on that one. Your CL won't be very good, so I doubt it is much of a problem since you are only using it in the alteration sphere. Drinking to better turn into a water elemental is amuudiang at least.

Or even better, a Flaming Moe's (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaming_beverage) to turn into a fire elemental...

inuyasha
2017-01-01, 06:13 AM
Q12: Having just been introduced to Spheres of Power, I've been looking it over pretty intensely for a few days now, but I'm wondering... why does the Bludgeoner's Rod require the Conjuration and Mind spheres and not Destruction in its creation?

Q13: And when making custom Rods, do you need to increase the complexity the same way you would for increasing the item's duration to permanent, or is this already included in the cost?

PossiblyInsane
2017-01-03, 09:06 PM
Q14: The Graft ability option for Animated Objects under the Enhancement sphere states that the graftee gains one natural attack of the object (which is two sizes smaller), but that the graftee uses their own size for calculating Special Attacks modifying that attack. Assuming a Medium sized graftee and a Tiny sized Animated Object without any other modifications, how much damage would the creature's new slam attack deal, and would said creature use the object's strength bonus or their own?

Adam Meyers
2017-01-03, 09:10 PM
So big announcement: This Saturday the kickstarter for Spheres of Combat begins! We'll link it when its live, but I wanted to pass that along!

A1: There should be no size limits on those; we can add it to the errata list.

A2-4: What he said.

​A5: I couldn't say for sure without knowing the details, but that sounds like the sort of thing that should cost a spell point per round and have a serious cap about how many rounds you can stack it; we tried to avoid things stacking with themselves over concentration because it quickly becomes a nightmare for the GM, in my experience.

A6-7 What she said.

A8: What he said.

A9: Not particularly; I haven't run with the revised action economy rules personally, so I could only speculate until I did some more research. If you or anyone has thoughts on the matter, I always love seeing different ways things could work together.

A10-11 Already answered, and I only know Mewtwo from the movies so I can't say for certain what he does beyond flying and psyonics anyway.

A12: That is most definitely an error, I apologize; it should be Destruction sphere by itself, rather than Creation and Mind.

A13: The costs for that are already included in the Rod development equation.

A14: I'm actually having trouble finding that; could you provide a reference for me so I can more easily find it?

PossiblyInsane
2017-01-03, 09:22 PM
A14: I'm actually having trouble finding that; could you provide a reference for me so I can more easily find it?

It's on the wiki here (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/enhancement#toc10), though I'm not certain where they got it from.

digiman619
2017-01-03, 10:09 PM
So big announcement: This Saturday the kickstarter for Spheres of Combat begins! We'll link it when its live, but I wanted to pass that along!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vpE6uMJ37dk/UOScrne47aI/AAAAAAAAEL4/Ki-4IWO-SoY/s1600/ron-paul.gifExtra text!

RedMop
2017-01-03, 10:15 PM
A11 Already answered

It wasn't though. neither my, nor the answer had calculations that came up with the price of 49,000.

inuyasha
2017-01-04, 12:05 AM
Can I ask what Spheres of Combat is? I have no idea what it is, and a simple google search is getting me fanfiction and second edition D&D cleric rules. I'm definitely intrigued though.

Ssalarn
2017-01-04, 12:49 AM
Can I ask what Spheres of Combat is? I have no idea what it is, and a simple google search is getting me fanfiction and second edition D&D cleric rules. I'm definitely intrigued though.

It's a new system that reimagines combat in a similar way to how Spheres of Magic of reimagines spheres. It's being worked on by myself, Adam, Stack, and Ehn Jolly and we'll rolling out a playtest alongside the Kickstarter, though for the exact details of that playtest you'd have to ask Adam; I'm not sure if Patreon and Kickstarter backers are getting early access or exactly what we're doing there. It's going to have new classes like the Armiger, Blacksmith, Commander, and Conscript, and the spheres are each based on particular combat styles with lots of inter-sphere synergy so you can create your own custom combat style and techniques, if that's your thing, or just dedicate into a single sphere and get really good at that pre-constructed combat style.

inuyasha
2017-01-04, 01:09 AM
Any idea if Spheres of Combat will receive its own wiki like Spheres of Power has?

Ssalarn
2017-01-04, 01:17 AM
Any idea if Spheres of Combat will receive its own wiki like Spheres of Power has?

I believe that that is an independently created and maintained site put together by a fan of the materials, so I can't say for sure, but I will ask about it.

meemaas
2017-01-04, 12:33 PM
It's a new system that reimagines combat in a similar way to how Spheres of Magic of reimagines spheres. It's being worked on by myself, Adam, Stack, and Ehn Jolly and we'll rolling out a playtest alongside the Kickstarter, though for the exact details of that playtest you'd have to ask Adam; I'm not sure if Patreon and Kickstarter backers are getting early access or exactly what we're doing there. It's going to have new classes like the Armiger, Blacksmith, Commander, and Conscript, and the spheres are each based on particular combat styles with lots of inter-sphere synergy so you can create your own custom combat style and techniques, if that's your thing, or just dedicate into a single sphere and get really good at that pre-constructed combat style.

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!

Seriously, looks interesting, can't wait to pledge to the Kickstarter.

khadgar567
2017-01-04, 12:48 PM

Seriously, looks interesting, can't wait to pledge to the Kickstarter.
agreed gonna pledge just enough to make sure they made jade phoenix mage port to spheres of combat / power.

Adam Meyers
2017-01-04, 06:58 PM
A11: the pricing guidelines are just guidelines; they specifically say in the core book that they're not hard-fast rules, and in that spirit we decided, like many core magic items do, to round the cost.

A15: Clerics and fan fiction? i'm disturbed yet oddly curious..

The kickstarter should go live this Saturday, so I'm extremely excited about it, and really happy to hear someone else is too.

RedMop
2017-01-04, 08:45 PM
A11: the pricing guidelines are just guidelines; they specifically say in the core book that they're not hard-fast rules, and in that spirit we decided, like many core magic items do, to round the cost.

Perfect. Thanks. I have a math monkey GM, so making a similar item (+3 greater transformative weapon, +3 alteration) needed the math calculated.

AlienFromBeyond
2017-01-06, 04:40 PM
Some Destroyer's Handbook questions this time around:

Q16: Does a Doomblade's Destructive Blade count as a weapon, and is it considered manufactured or natural if so? I am wondering because I was considering combining it with Vital Strike, which specifically references "weapon’s damage dice" for the extra damage it adds.

Q17: Does the "Rather than having its power determined by the doomblade’s caster level, the destructive blade always treats the doomblade’s level as its caster level." clause for Destructive Blade mean that further caster level improvements like a staff are useless? It's lacking the typical "This stacks normally with caster levels gained from other classes" that makes it play nicely with multiclassing/items, aka simply act as a Full Caster for Doomblade levels when used for Destructive Blade.

Q18: Does the different sphere talent added by an Admixture feat still need its spell point cost paid, on top of the Admixture talent and the Admixture feat's cost? Put another way, how many spell points does a Ghostly Admixtured Destructive Blast with the Drain Ghost Strike use?

Q19: If you use an Admixture feat with Destructive Blade, do you need to use the multi-target talent (such as Greater Ghost Strike with Ghostly Admixture) for it to apply on every attack, or is it unnecessary as each individual attack only affects one target each time anyways?

Q20: How does Holy Smite advanced talent interact with a Destructive Blast that's been Admixtured to have multiple different damage types? Does it just replace everything, or only the remaining regular blast damage?

legomaster00156
2017-01-06, 05:20 PM
Q3: Does the different sphere talent added by an Admixture feat still need its spell point cost paid, on top of the Admixture talent and the Admixture feat's cost? Put another way, how many spell points does a Ghostly Admixtured Destructive Blast with the Drain Ghost Strike use?
Yes, you must pay incurred spell point costs for all talents used in addition to the admixture spell point.

Q5: How does Holy Smite advanced talent interact with a Destructive Blast that's been Admixtured to have multiple different damage types? Does it just replace everything, or only the remaining regular blast damage?
Half of the damage is sacred damage (and thus deals an additional 50% damage to evil creatures), while the other half is whatever the blast was admixtured with, and thus does not deal the extra damage to evil creatures.

stack
2017-01-06, 11:21 PM
I wrote the book, so consider the following statements of authorial intent:

Some Destroyer's Handbook questions this time around:

Q1: Does a Doomblade's Destructive Blade count as a weapon, and is it considered manufactured or natural if so? I am wondering because I was considering combining it with Vital Strike, which specifically references "weapon’s damage dice" for the extra damage it adds.
The destructive blade is a unique blast shape rather than a weapon. While you count as armed and threaten squares and all that while it is shaped, it is still a destructive blast. It benefits from weapon focus (melee touch attack), not weapon focus (destructive blade) for example. Vital strike is not compatible.

Q2: Does the "Rather than having its power determined by the doomblade’s caster level, the destructive blade always treats the doomblade’s level as its caster level." clause for Destructive Blade mean that further caster level improvements like a staff are useless? It's lacking the typical "This stacks normally with caster levels gained from other classes" that makes it play nicely with multiclassing/items, aka simply act as a Full Caster for Doomblade levels when used for Destructive Blade.
The non-stacking was a deliberate choice to make it less appealing to dip one level and then move on to elementalist or another class, taking the key feature. The destructive blade's CL is always determined by mageknight levels and only mageknight levels for that reason. Staves don't help (you are making full attacks with a touch weapon, so don't feel TOO bad).:smalltongue:

Q3: Does the different sphere talent added by an Admixture feat still need its spell point cost paid, on top of the Admixture talent and the Admixture feat's cost? Put another way, how many spell points does a Ghostly Admixtured Destructive Blast with the Drain Ghost Strike use?
All spell point costs must be paid, so you pay for the admixture and the drain.

Q4: If you use an Admixture feat with Destructive Blade, do you need to use the multi-target talent (such as Greater Ghost Strike with Ghostly Admixture) for it to apply on every attack, or is it unnecessary as each individual attack only affects one target each time anyways?
There was not intended to be a need for the extra target talents added in for that situation. Good question though, since the text is not clear. Due to mageknights being low casters I don't think the cross-sphere admixture feats and doomblade were combined much in the playtest.

Q5: How does Holy Smite advanced talent interact with a Destructive Blast that's been Admixtured to have multiple different damage types? Does it just replace everything, or only the remaining regular blast damage? The holy smite would apply to the resultant blast, thus overwrite all the damage of the blast. It could be argued that you have the choice of applying it in the most beneficial order I guess, which will be overriding all the damage if you are bothering to use it.

AlienFromBeyond
2017-01-07, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the responses, that was about what I expected the answers to be, though I was hoping I was wrong about the Vital Strike interaction. Excited to see the Spheres of Combat (or whatever name gets settled on eventually) on kickstarter tomorrow!

EDIT:

The destructive blade is a unique blast shape
Does that mean Focused Blast doesn't work on it? I was assuming that since it's a class feature and not technically "a (blast shape) talent" that the combination would work, but now I'm wondering if my interpretation is wrong.

stack
2017-01-07, 08:06 AM
Putting the words 'Blast shape' back into the description of destructive blade is on the list of errata i want to add. It got lost in one of the many rewrites of the ability.

inuyasha
2017-01-07, 03:48 PM
Q21?: This might be a silly question, but is there any conceivable way to have a 1st level Armorist with access to the Morphic Weapon Alteration talent, and no other alteration abilities whatsoever? I have an idea for a build, and that's one of the things I kind of want the character to have, but it isn't entirely essential.

Q22?: Also, is there any requirement for a Conjuration-based companion to be used as a mount? There doesn't seem to be a talent for it, and I'm wondering if using Conjuration as a substitute for the Paladin's warhorse is viable, also a riding-biped could be fun too, be they an ostrich or an ogre.

Adam Meyers
2017-01-07, 04:08 PM
The Spheres of Might (formerly Spheres of Combat but we took a vote) kickstarter is now live! (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1708940685/spheres-of-might-a-new-pathfinder-martial-system)

stack
2017-01-07, 04:51 PM
A22: in the pre- playtest conjuration expansion there is a companion archetype for making a mount. Currently, I recommend but it a saddle and strapping it on after summoning.

Midnightninja
2017-01-07, 05:12 PM

Seconded! I really hope it does well.

legomaster00156
2017-01-07, 07:15 PM
Q23. The text for the Invisibility talent seems to imply that it does not break upon the affected creature making an attack. Is this an oversight, or can you "snipe" from melee at the usual -20 Stealth penalty?

NomGarret
2017-01-07, 08:27 PM
Q22?: Also, is there any requirement for a Conjuration-based companion to be used as a mount? There doesn't seem to be a talent for it, and I'm wondering if using Conjuration as a substitute for the Paladin's warhorse is viable, also a riding-biped could be fun too, be they an ostrich or an ogre.

I think as long as you use Altered Size as needed, nothing else is strictly necessary, though Animal Form for the extra speed is good.

AlienFromBeyond
2017-01-08, 05:29 PM
And now for Shapeshifter's Handbook questions!

Q24: If you have multiple animal companions (and potentially also a familiar) could you use the Companion Merger feat with all of them (assuming you use the they merge with you instead of you merge with them option), limited by the number of targets Mass Alteration allows?

Q25: Am I interpreting Companion Merger correctly that it counts as a shapeshift effect? Meaning it follows those rules for duration, counts against the single shapeshift limiter, for talents (ex. Ranged Alteration) and feats (such as Favored Form)?

Q26: What happens to active magical effects on the familiar/animal companion that merges with you? Do they disappear, counting duration until you split, pause in time, transfer over to the merged form? What about if they had a +Constitution enhance on them for more hit points and merged them into you, would you get the hit points that extra Constitution would give? On a slightly tangential note, do you still get free Alertness feat from a merged familiar?

Q27: Is it intended that the companion from the Conjuration sphere can't be used with Companion Merger? Seems a bit silly to me, especially if you gave them the Lingering Companion (form) talent and even more so if you took Greater Summoning on top of that. Is it because it's more like an Eidolon, which also isn't allowed for Companion Merger (rip Spheres-only Synthesist clone)?

TheIronGolem
2017-01-10, 01:35 PM
@AlienFromBeyond: In threads like this it's customary to number your questions in sequence with everyone else's. That way when an answer comes it's easy to match it up with the question. I'm going to label my own question #28 so you have room to relabel yours as #24-27.

Q28: Is a caster's spell pool intended to be calculated by their class level, or by their caster level? I've always understood it to be by class level, but on the Hero Lab forum one of our customers is providing strong evidence (http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost.php?p=240796&postcount=231) you intended it to be by caster level. But it's not in the errata and also this is the first I've heard of SP being CL-based, so I want to be absolutely sure before I implement what will amount to a serious nerf to non-High casters.

AlienFromBeyond
2017-01-10, 02:14 PM
@AlienFromBeyond: In threads like this it's customary to number your questions in sequence with everyone else's. That way when an answer comes it's easy to match it up with the question. I'm going to label my own question #28 so you have room to relabel yours as #24-27.
Boy that's sure clear as mud, especially considering how many people don't even label their questions at all, or that if a quote is used you automatically have a link to the questions anyways. I'll go ahead and change it anyways.

meemaas
2017-01-10, 04:14 PM
Q28: Is a caster's spell pool intended to be calculated by their class level, or by their caster level? I've always understood it to be by class level, but on the Hero Lab forum one of our customers is providing strong evidence (http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost.php?p=240796&postcount=231) you intended it to be by caster level. But it's not in the errata and also this is the first I've heard of SP being CL-based, so I want to be absolutely sure before I implement what will amount to a serious nerf to non-High casters.

I sure hope not. I always felt that Low-Casters and such got the same number of spell points because their powers were weaker than High Casters, but they still possessed the same amount of casting stamina. Especially with the Low-Casters having numerous class features powered by their Spell Points beyond their Sphere abilities.

Adam Meyers
2017-01-10, 04:52 PM
Edit: I just realized my misunderstanding, not having had my full attention on this question. Ignore this post and instead read the one below it.

Old Incorrect Post: It is based on class level, not caster level. The statement they are referring to is not a contradiction; if you are level 1, half your level is rounded down to 0, so 1/2 level + CAM (minimum 1) for a 1st level character with a CAM of 3 would be 3.

Adam Meyers
2017-01-10, 04:55 PM
Oh frick, I understand now; I misunderstood the main question because my mind was in another place. It's DCs that are 1/2 level + CAM, and with my mind on the Spheres of Might kickstarter I responded regarding the familiar formula rather than realizing the disconnect. No, Spell Points are indeed CAM + levels in spellcasting classes, ignore all those previous statements by me, they were made based on a misunderstanding of what the question was.

TheIronGolem
2017-01-10, 04:59 PM
Thanks, Adam, that clears it up!

Aoleleb
2017-01-10, 05:57 PM
Would the Mutagenic Enhancements feat allow me to apply an Alteration Trait to an Animated Object?

AmberVael
2017-01-10, 07:27 PM
Q 29 Would the Mutagenic Enhancements feat allow me to apply an Alteration Trait to an Animated Object?

A 29
By RAW, Mutagenic Enhancements works "when you enhance a creature," while Animate Object is an enhancement that targets an object, rather than a creature. You could later enhance your animated object and apply Mutagenic Enhancements that way, but you couldn't use it directly with Animate Object.

Probably wouldn't be an unreasonable houserule though.

stack
2017-01-12, 02:19 PM
And now for Shapeshifter's Handbook questions!

Q24: If you have multiple animal companions (and potentially also a familiar) could you use the Companion Merger feat with all of them (assuming you use the they merge with you instead of you merge with them option), limited by the number of targets Mass Alteration allows?

Q25: Am I interpreting Companion Merger correctly that it counts as a shapeshift effect? Meaning it follows those rules for duration, counts against the single shapeshift limiter, for talents (ex. Ranged Alteration) and feats (such as Favored Form)?

Q26: What happens to active magical effects on the familiar/animal companion that merges with you? Do they disappear, counting duration until you split, pause in time, transfer over to the merged form? What about if they had a +Constitution enhance on them for more hit points and merged them into you, would you get the hit points that extra Constitution would give? On a slightly tangential note, do you still get free Alertness feat from a merged familiar?

Q27: Is it intended that the companion from the Conjuration sphere can't be used with Companion Merger? Seems a bit silly to me, especially if you gave them the Lingering Companion (form) talent and even more so if you took Greater Summoning on top of that. Is it because it's more like an Eidolon, which also isn't allowed for Companion Merger (rip Spheres-only Synthesist clone)?
Apologies for the delay.
A24:The text is singular. I would be concerned about the effects of stacking up the hitpoints and the number of attacks you could manage to get by merging with multiple.

A25: It is a shapeshift, yes. Favored form doesn't apply since the feat doesn't grant the ability to add a form.

A26: Active magic effects affect the merged creature. The hitpoints from the two creatures stack, so if you have a +CON item on your companion it will bring more HP into the merger. Note that temporary bonuses to CON don't give HP if I recall correctly. Your merged familair is still present, so I would say it still grants the familiar benefits.

A27: It was intentional given the potential customization and power available to eidolons and companions.

AlienFromBeyond
2017-01-12, 02:37 PM
Apologies for the delay.
A24:The text is singular. I would be concerned about the effects of stacking up the hitpoints and the number of attacks you could manage to get by merging with multiple.
Yes, I was concerned about that as well. Pack Master Shifter could hit over 1k HP if done correctly I think, to say nothing of the sheer number of natural attacks you could stack by merging with multiple companions at once.

A25: It is a shapeshift, yes. Favored form doesn't apply since the feat doesn't grant the ability to add a form.
But it does make you choose a talent that grants a form to determine its effects. Companion Merger is technically a feat anyways now that I think about it, while still being a shapeshift.

A26: Active magic effects affect the merged creature. The hitpoints from the two creatures stack, so if you have a +CON item on your companion it will bring more HP into the merger. Note that temporary bonuses to CON don't give HP if I recall correctly. Your merged familair is still present, so I would say it still grants the familiar benefits.
I was assuming temporary Con bonuses still do give HP since Barbarian Rage reminds you about it. Good to know about the sharing of buffs though.

A27: It was intentional given the potential customization and power available to eidolons and companions.
That's fair, thought I'd ask to be sure though.

jesterjeff
2017-01-12, 03:04 PM
Q. How would planeswalking/gate spells work in spheres?
I'd assume that Warp would be the sphere, but the talents are nowhere near powerful enough.
My only solution is to just outright take the spells in question and convert them to rituals. The problem is the vastly increased casting time.

Ssalarn
2017-01-12, 03:17 PM
Q. How would planeswalking/gate spells work in spheres?
I'd assume that Warp would be the sphere, but the talents are nowhere near powerful enough.
My only solution is to just outright take the spells in question and convert them to rituals. The problem is the vastly increased casting time.

Flawless Teleport, Planeshift, and True Teleport are Advanced Magic talents for the warp sphere that cover pretty much all the planeswalking type stuff. Summoning and Diagram are advanced talents for the Conjuration sphere that cover the gate-type mechanics. All of those are located in the Advanced Magic section of the core book.

Klara Meison
2017-01-12, 03:17 PM
Q 31: could you post a couple of sheets of casters made using SoP, that fill generic party roles? E.g. control wizard, healer cleric, mind controlling wizard, blaster caster? I'd like to compare what is possible to achieve using SoP to what is generally seen as normal for Vancian magic.

Mehangel
2017-01-12, 03:23 PM
Q30. How would planeswalking/gate spells work in spheres?

A30 Planeswalking can be done with the Planeshift advanced talent (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/advanced-talents#toc124), or by using rituals as you have pointed out. Depending upon how you are intending to use the 'Gate spell', you may possibly combine the Portal advanced talent (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/advanced-talents#toc125) with the aforementioned Planeshift advanced talent, or you may use the Diagram (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/advanced-talents#toc12) + Summoning advanced talents (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/advanced-talents#toc13); or you could use a Ritual, Incantation, etc.

masterjoda99
2017-01-12, 04:14 PM
Q 32 How viable is it to be extremely focused in a single sphere (for example, Telekinesis) that isn't Destruction? Would a character be shooting themselves in the foot?

Q 33 Which of the base classes would be your recommendation for a Telekinesis focused character, Incanter, Symbiat (with archetype), something else?

inuyasha
2017-01-12, 07:52 PM
Q 34 Is it possible to have magic items with metamagic feats built into their effects?

AmberVael
2017-01-12, 08:31 PM
Q 32 How viable is it to be extremely focused in a single sphere (for example, Telekinesis) that isn't Destruction? Would a character be shooting themselves in the foot?

Q 33 Which of the base classes would be your recommendation for a Telekinesis focused character, Incanter, Symbiat (with archetype), something else?

A 32

Some spheres are going to be better at this than others, but a lot of spheres can support this sort of mono-focus. I tried to give Telekinesis a fair amount to do, and I think you can build a reasonable character solely focused on telekinesis. You'll likely end up less versatile and more specialized, obviously, but if that's a tradeoff you're willing to make, you can do it. I'd definitely say Telekinesis can do as well as Destruction, and so can a lot of other spheres.

A 33

A lot of classes can do Telekinesis well, it really depends on what your preferred style of play is. I find Incanter is great for battlefield control, using its high number of talents and good CL to litter the battlefield with weaponry that all takes AoOs at anyone nearby. They can also play around with the gravity themed talents in the Telekinetic's Handbook, and are good for just directly picking up massive objects (due to CL again) or enemies (since their abilities will tend to have high DCs). The electrokinetic (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/electrokinetic) elementalist is great if you want to be Magneto and focus on offense, while the soaring blade (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/soaring-blade) armorist can create a floating arsenal and is probably the best at just being the weapon wielding telekinetic with their full BAB and the Steel Sentries feature. Or you could play a hekatonkheires (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/hekatonkheires) symbiat and have telekinetic limbs.

Ualaa
2017-01-12, 08:36 PM
A 31

20-point buy, standard wealth by level.
I took the archetype (Sphere Cleric), from Spheres of Power (Expanded Options).

(Sphere) Cleric, Level 6.
Human sphere cleric of Sarenrae 6
NG Medium humanoid (human)
Init +1; Senses Perception +3
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 23, touch 12, flat-footed 21 (+6 armor, +1 Dex, +1 dodge, +1 natural, +4 shield)
hp 44 (6d8+11)
Fort +9, Ref +5, Will +10
Weaknesses beast soul, focus casting, magical signs, prepared caster, somatic casting, verbal casting
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft.
Melee touch destructive blast +5 (3d6)
Special Attacks channel positive energy 5/day (DC 15, 3d6)
Domain Spell-Like Abilities (CL 6th; concentration +9)
. . 6/day—rebuke death (1d4+3), resistant touch (+2)
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 10, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 14
Base Atk +4; CMB +4; CMD 16
Feats Cantrips, Dodge, Extra Magic Talent, Extra Spell Points, Shield Focus
Traits life of toil, practiced aim
Skills Diplomacy +10, Heal +10, Knowledge (planes) +5, Knowledge (religion) +5, Sense Motive +10, Spellcraft +5
Languages Common
SQ barrier (ward), casting, cure, deflection (aegis), destructive blast, domain talents (life sphere, protection sphere), easy focus, elemental transformation, extended range, greater healing, greater restore, healer's blessing, invigorate, life talents (greater healing, greater healing, ranged healing), magic skill bonus, magic skill defense, mass healing, ranged healing, restore, restore health, shapeshifting
Combat Gear potion of neutralize poison, potion of remove blindness/deafness, potion of remove curse, Sphere Staff (Life); Other Gear +2 mithral shirt, +1 mithral heavy steel shield, amulet of natural armor +1, handy haversack, ioun torch ioun stone[APG], bandolier[UE], bedroll, belt pouch, candle (10), flint and steel, masterwork backpack[APG], mess kit[UE], pot, soap, trail rations (15), waterskin, wooden holy symbol of Sarenrae, 49 pp, 1 gp, 6 sp
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Alteration: Elemental Transformation You can give your shapeshift target the elemental form
Alteration: Shapeshifting (2 traits) You can bestow the Blank Form
Beast Soul You cannot bestow the Blank Form
Cantrips You can create a variety of small magical effects
Casting (CL 6, Wisdom, DC 13) You can cast sphere effects.
Cleric Channel Positive Energy 3d6 (5/day, DC 15) (Su) Positive energy heals the living and harms the undead; negative has the reverse effect.
Destruction: Destructive Blast 3d6 Ranged or melee touch attack deals 3d6 damage
Destruction: Extended Range Increase the range of your destructive blast
Easy Focus Maintaining a sphere effect takes a move action instead of a standard action
Focus Casting (DC 23) You must make a concentration check to use magic without your focus item
Healer's Blessing (Su) Your cure spells are empowered for free.
Life: Cure 2d8+21 Heal a target for 2d8+21 hit points
Life: Greater Healing (2) Your cure heals 1 additional HP per caster level
Life: Greater Restore Restore heals ability damage and removes some conditions that it would otherwise lessen
Life: Invigorate (Up to 7 temp HP) Grant up to 7 temporary HP to an injured target
Life: Mass Healing Your cure can affect multiple targets
Life: Ranged Healing Your cure, invigorate, and restore abilities have a range of Close rather than Touch.
Life: Restore Heal a target's ability damage and remove negative conditions
Life: Restore Health Cure heals +1d8 HP, and restore can remove poison or disease
Magical Signs Your use of magic is obvious to all observers
MSB +6 Use for counterspelling, concentration, caster level checks, and beating SR
MSD 17 Use when defending against an MSB check
Prepared Caster You must assign your spell points to spheres prior to using them
Protection: Barrier You can create a ward that absorbs damage
Protection: Deflection +2 You can put an aegis on a creature to grant it a deflection bonus to AC
Rebuke Death (6/day) (Sp) As a standard action, touch heals 1d4+3 dam to negative HP target.
Resistant Touch +2 (6/day) (Sp) As a standard action, touch ally to grant Protection domain's resist bon for 1 min, but lose own bonus.
Somatic Casting You must have at least 1 hand free to use magic, and may be susceptible to ASF
Sphere Cleric Domain (Healing) Granted Powers: Your touch staves off pain and death, and your healing magic is particularly vital and potent.
Sphere Cleric Domain (Protection) Granted Powers: Your faith is your greatest source of protection, and you can use that faith to defend others. In addition, you receive a +1 resistance bonus on saving throws. This bonus increases by 1 for every 5 levels you possess.
Verbal Casting You must be able to speak aloud to use magic, and may be susceptible to ASF

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Pathfinder® and associated marks and logos are trademarks of Paizo Inc.®, and are used under license.

11 spell points allocated to heals.
1 SP = Single target, in Close Range (40 ft., at level 6) for 2d8+21.
2 SP = Up to 4 targets, all within Close Range (40 ft. burst) for 2d8+21.

Unlimited (range.touch) Medium Range 'ray attacks' dealing Bludgeoning Damage.
+5 to hit, for 3d6

Can grant Elemental Form (Fire, Water, Air, Earth) as a Standard action, and maintain it via Concentration (move action); so can grant flight, swimming, movement through Earth, or do the same themself.

Ualaa
2017-01-12, 09:20 PM
A 31

I took two levels in Elementalist, and would continue with Incanter thereafter.

As an Incanter, I can choose my casting stat, so am using WIS although I'm filling the 'Blaster' role.

Blaster, Level 4
Male dwarf elementalist 2/incanter 2
LG Medium humanoid (dwarf)
Init +6; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +12 (+14 to notice unusual stonework)
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 17, touch 13, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +3 Dex)
hp 27 (4 HD; 2d6+2d8+6)
Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +11; +2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities, +1 trait bonus vs. spells, spell-like abilities, and poison
Defensive Abilities defensive training, evasion
Weaknesses aligned combatant, magical signs, somatic casting, verbal casting
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 20 ft., movement burst (ft.) 25 ft.
Melee dagger +2 (1d4/19-20) or
. . touch destructive blast +2 (2d6+1)
Special Attacks hatred
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 10, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 21, Cha 6
Base Atk +2; CMB +2; CMD 15 (19 vs. bull rush, 19 vs. trip)
Feats Cantrips, Orb Expert, Point-Blank Shot, Precise Shot
Traits glory of old, reactionary
Skills Acrobatics +3 (-1 to jump), Appraise +1 (+3 to assess nonmagical metals or gemstones), Knowledge (arcana) +8, Perception +12 (+14 to notice unusual stonework), Spellcraft +8, Survival +10, Swim +5; Racial Modifiers +2 Appraise to assess nonmagical metals or gemstones, +2 Perception to notice unusual stonework
Languages Common, Dwarven, Goblin
SQ casting, crystal blast (blast type), destructive blast, drowning blast (blast type), energy wall (blast shape), explosive orb (blast shape), extended range, force blast (blast type), intense magic, magic skill bonus, magic skill defense, specialization (sphere specialization [destruction]), stone blast (blast type), teleport, weave energy
Combat Gear potion of cure light wounds (4); Other Gear mithral shirt, dagger, cracked dusty rose prism ioun stone, headband of inspired wisdom +2, bandolier[UE], belt pouch, blanket[APG], everburning torch, flint and steel, ink, inkpen, masterwork backpack[APG], mess kit[UE], pot, silk rope (50 ft.), soap, trail rations (4), waterskin, 1 pp, 3 gp, 7 sp
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Aligned Combatant (Good) Your destructive blast deals full damage only to creatures of your opposed alignment
Casting (CL 3, Wisdom, DC 15) You can cast sphere effects.
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white only).
Defensive Training +4 Gain a dodge bonus to AC vs. monsters of the Giant subtype.
Destruction: Crystal Blast Destructive Blast deals piercing damage (d4's) and can entangle target
Destruction: Destructive Blast 2d6+1 Ranged or melee touch attack deals 2d6+1 damage
Destruction: Drowning Blast (Bull Rush +9) Destructive Blast deals bludgeoning damage and can nauseate target
Destruction: Energy Wall Create a wall of energy that damages creatures passing through it
Destruction: Explosive Orb (Radius 15 ft.) Deal destructive blast damage in a radius
Destruction: Force Blast Your destructive blast deals force damage and can knock targets prone
Destruction: Stone Blast Your destructive blast deals slashing/piercing/bludgeoning damage and ignores anti-magic defenses
Evasion (Ex) If succeed on Reflex save for half dam, take none instead.
Greed +2 to Appraise to determine price of nonmagic goods with precious metals or gemstones.
Hatred +1 Gain a racial bonus to attacks vs. Goblinoids/Orcs.
Intense Magic +1 (Su) Deal more damage with your destructive blast
Movement burst (25 feet, ft., 8/day) (Sp) Project a burst of energy to move as a swift action
MSB +4 Use for counterspelling, concentration, caster level checks, and beating SR
MSD 15 Use when defending against an MSB check
Orb Expert Increase CL by 2 for Explosive Orb range, radius, and DC
Point-Blank Shot +1 to attack and damage rolls with ranged weapons at up to 30 feet.
Precise Shot You don't get -4 to hit when shooting or throwing into melee.
Somatic Casting You must have at least 1 hand free to use magic, and may be susceptible to ASF
Sphere Specialization (Destruction) Intense Magic, Movement Burst, Elemental Wall
Stonecunning +2 +2 bonus to Perception vs. unusual stonework. Free check within 10 feet.
Verbal Casting You must be able to speak aloud to use magic, and may be susceptible to ASF
Warp: Teleport You can teleport yourself as a standard action
Weave Energy Gain Destruction as a bonus sphere, and use your class level as caster level with Destruction

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Pathfinder® and associated marks and logos are trademarks of Paizo Inc.®, and are used under license.

I cast in Light armor, without Arcane spell failure.
And have Evasion.

Point-Blank Shot & Precise Shot, for firing into a melee.

The option of a (medium range) Range Touch attack.
- Unlimited +5 to hit, for 2d6+1 blasts.
- For a spell point, 4d6+1 blasts.

Or a Wall (20 ft. long per caster level), for a spell point.
Inflicts the 2d6+1 for passing through.

Or an Orb (15 ft. radius), for a spell point 3d6+1, Ref DC 18 (half).
- Can do a 5 ft. radius Orb, without spending spell points.

The default damage is Bludgeoning.

Can change the damage to Crystal, which reduces the dice to d4s but force a Ref save (DC 17) or become Entangled.
If cast as an Orb (AoE) the crystal area is difficult terrain, and lasts for 1 minute.

Can change the damage to 'Stone Blast', which counts as Piercing/Bludgeoning/Slashing, ignores Spell Resistance, Spell Turning, Globes of Invulnerability, Anti-Magic Field/Circle, but does not count as Magical for targets that gain a bonus to saves vs magic.

Can change the damage to 'Force', which strikes Incorporeal targets for full damage, and targets must save vs Reflex (DC 17 base, DC 18 as an Orb) or fall prone.

Can change the damage to a 'Drowning Blast' which can Bull Rush (+9) and forces a Fortitude Save or the target is nauseated for a round.

Ualaa
2017-01-12, 10:15 PM
(Spheres is rather flexible... I'm sure others would build different casters, even to fill the same role)

A 31.

Level 9, a 'Control Wizard' type.

This one would focus primarily on placing Darkness over the combat area.
Dark-vision doesn't work within her darkness area, and effects such as Blindsight/Blindsense are at half range.
Her party, via Clearsight (1 spell point per person, for a 9 hour duration) can see just fine.

She can also do Orbs (20 ft. radius) or Walls (180 ft. long), and apply Crystal Shards as her damage type for the chance to Ensnare (Ref, DC 21 or DC 22 with Orbs)... the Crystals last 10 rounds and create an area of Difficult Terrain.

She can assume an Elemental Form, as a Standard Action and maintain it through concentration (as a Move Action); so if they cannot fly, she can be an orbital battlestation... unlimited Destruction ray attacks, even if that is not the focus of the build.
Elemental Form can be placed on others, to grant Fly, Swim or Earthglide.
She can grant Darkvision as a secondary effect on the form.
For a spell point, this can be given a duration rather than concentration.

Foreshadow was taken from Divination, primarily for the Initiative boost; she wants to go first or at least early.

She can secondary heal, in a pinch for d8+18.

Time sphere opens up the equivalent of Haste, and this is improved to 6 targets and the normal Vancian effects of Haste.
Slow, as a debuff is gained optionally.

Warp sphere grants the equivalent of Teleport.
However, with Ranged Teleport (close burst 45 ft.) and Group Teleport (up to 4 extra targets), this could function as a party evacuate or simply battlefield rearrangement... rearrange where most of the party is now standing.

Control Type, Level 9
Female elf incanter 9
CG Medium humanoid (elf)
Init +16; Senses low-light vision; Perception +5
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 19, touch 15, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +3 Dex, +2 dodge)
hp 74 (9d6+36)
Fort +8, Ref +12, Will +9; +2 vs. enchantments
Immune sleep
Weaknesses beast soul, energy focus, limited divination, limited restoration, magical signs, somatic casting, somatic casting, verbal casting
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft.
Melee touch destructive blast +3 (5d6)
Incanter Spell-Like Abilities (CL 9th; concentration +7)
. . 10/day—diviner's fortune (+4)
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 9, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 24, Wis 10, Cha 7
Base Atk +4; CMB +3; CMD 18
Feats Cantrips, Dodge, Extra Magic Talent, Extra Magic Talent, Improved Initiative, Orb Expert, Spell Penetration, Toughness
Traits muscle of the society, warrior of old
Skills Appraise +19, Fly +10, Knowledge (arcana) +19, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +19, Knowledge (nature) +19, Knowledge (planes) +19, Knowledge (religion) +19, Perception +5, Spellcraft +19 (+21 to identify magic item properties), Survival +5, Swim +5; Racial Modifiers +2 Perception, +2 Spellcraft to identify magic item properties
Languages Abyssal, Celestial, Common, Draconic, Elven, Goblin, Infernal, Orc, Sylvan
SQ casting, clearsight (meld), crystal blast (blast type), cure, darkness, destructive blast, distant teleport, easy focus, elemental transformation, elven magic, energy wall (blast shape), explosive orb (blast shape), extended range, foreshadow (sense), foretell, forewarned, greater healing, group teleport, group time, haste (time), improved haste, invigorate, magic skill bonus, magic skill defense, pure darkness (darkness), ranged teleport, read magic (sense), shapeshifting, slow (time), specialization (sphere specialization [divination]), teleport, true teleport, unseeing teleport
Combat Gear Sphere Staff (Time); Other Gear bracers of armor +4, cloak of resistance +3, cracked dusty rose prism ioun stone, handy haversack, headband of vast intelligence +4, ioun torch ioun stone[APG], 42 pp, 5 gp
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Alteration: Elemental Transformation You can give your shapeshift target the elemental form
Alteration: Shapeshifting (2 traits) You can bestow the Blank Form
Casting (CL 9, Intelligence, DC 17) You can cast sphere effects.
Dark: Clearsight Target gains immunity to the negative effects of your darkness
Dark: Darkness You can create an area of darkness
Dark: Pure Darkness Your darkness suppresses senses
Destruction: Crystal Blast Destructive Blast deals piercing damage (d4's) and can entangle target
Destruction: Destructive Blast 5d6 Ranged or melee touch attack deals 5d6 damage
Destruction: Energy Wall Create a wall of energy that damages creatures passing through it
Destruction: Explosive Orb (Radius 20 ft.) Deal destructive blast damage in a radius
Divination: Foreshadow +2/+3 You gain a danger sense that grants bonuses to AC and Ref saves
Diviner's Fortune +4 (10/day) (Sp) As a standard action, touch grants ally +4 insight bonus to many checks for 1 round.
Easy Focus Maintaining a sphere effect takes a move action instead of a standard action
Elven Immunities - Sleep You are immune to magic sleep effects.
Elven Magic +2 to spellcraft checks to determine the properties of a magic item.
Energy Focus (Crystal) You may only make a destructive blast of a single energy type
Foretell +2/-2 (9 rounds/day) (Su) Grant luck bonuses to allies, or penalties to enemies
Forewarned +4 (Su) Can always act in surprise rounds.
Life: Cure 1d8+18 Heal a target for 1d8+18 hit points
Life: Greater Healing Your cure heals 1 additional HP per caster level
Life: Invigorate (Up to 9 temp HP) Grant up to 9 temporary HP to an injured target
Limited Divination (Divine banned) You lose access to either sense or divine
Limited Restoration (Restore banned) You lose access to either restore or cure/invigorate
Low-Light Vision See twice as far as a human in dim light, distinguishing color and detail.
MSB +9 Use for counterspelling, concentration, caster level checks, and beating SR
MSD 20 Use when defending against an MSB check
Orb Expert Increase CL by 2 for Explosive Orb range, radius, and DC
Read Magic (sense) You can read and decipher magical writing
Sphere Specialization (Divination) Forewarned, Diviner's Fortune, Foretell
Time: Group Time (6 extra targets) Affect more targets with your alter time abilities
Time: Haste Target can make an extra attack during a full attack
Time: Improved Haste Your Haste ability becomes more powerful
Time: Slow Target becomes staggered
Warp: Distant Teleport Teleport at longer range
Warp: Group Teleport (4 extra targets) Teleport multiple creatures
Warp: Ranged Teleport Teleport other targets within Close range
Warp: Teleport You can teleport yourself as a standard action
Warp: True Teleport You can teleport incredible distances
Warp: Unseeing Teleport Teleport without line of sight

legomaster00156
2017-01-12, 11:48 PM

Oh, boy, Telekinesis! I happen to be playing a mono-Telekinesis character right now!

A32. Telekinesis is a perfectly viable mono-focus, especially with the awesome talents in the Telekinetic's Handbook. Know that high Will saves will be your bane, but even against such foes, you have a couple options. Greater Speed + Flight is an absolute necessity, as it gives you or anyone you wish flight of increasing speeds. Dancing Weapon is a nice talent for a weapon-focused build. I'm a fan of Telekinetic Crush as a way to deal a bit of damage while crowd controlling, but it's not exactly significant.
Even so, I would suggest spending at least one of your talents opening up Destruction, because everyone benefits from being able to deal CL*1d6 damage, and as a telekinetic, you probably won't be consuming a lot of spell points anyway.

A33. It might just be bias because it's what I'm playing, but the Symbiat (Telekinetic Warrior) is my recommendation for a telekinetic focus character.

TheMadPhoenix
2017-01-15, 01:00 AM
Q 35 This may have been asked and answered somewhere before but... Is there a reason that the combat tradition for the hedgewitch gets class skills that are already class skills for the hedgewitch class itself? If it were me I would swap stealth for intimidate on the Combat tradition class skills and then swap swim and climb on the hedgewitch with heal and survival.

Q 36 This is more of a comment. What are your thoughts on adding an Orison feat similar to the cantrip feat but more in line with the orisons that divine casters get?

Q 37 Thoughts on creating drawbacks for more divine type casters such as the ability to heal others but not yourself. Basically take every drawback and make it so that instead of only affecting the caster it can't affect the caster and can only affect others.

A.J.Gibson
2017-01-15, 01:18 AM
Q 35 This may have been asked and answered somewhere before but... Is there a reason that the combat tradition for the hedgewitch gets class skills that are already class skills for the hedgewitch class itself? If it were me I would swap stealth for intimidate on the Combat tradition class skills and then swap swim and climb on the hedgewitch with heal and survival.

Q 36 This is more of a comment. What are your thoughts on adding an Orison feat similar to the cantrip feat but more in line with the orisons that divine casters get?

Q 37 Thoughts on creating drawbacks for more divine type casters such as the ability to heal others but not yourself. Basically take every drawback and make it so that instead of only affecting the caster it can't affect the caster and can only affect others.

A 35 Climb, Swim, and Intimidate are not class skills for the hedgewitch

A 36 Cantrips are tradition (arcane/divine) dependent, they do all the little things spell casters can do, so Cantrip has orisons covered already.

A 37 The Life handbook will have drawbacks related to healing. A 'heal others only' drawback was considered, but I don't think it will go in, as it really isn't balanced for a drawback. There will be, however, a 'heal others by taking their damage' option.

khadgar567
2017-01-15, 01:23 AM
C 37 is there heal your self by taking others hp option?

A.J.Gibson
2017-01-15, 01:59 AM
C 37 is there heal your self by taking others hp option?

C 37 Currently yes, but it requires that you have Death sphere as well, since you are literally 'taking life'.

TheMadPhoenix
2017-01-15, 02:16 AM
A 35 Climb, Swim, and Intimidate are not class skills for the hedgewitch

A 36 Cantrips are tradition (arcane/divine) dependent, they do all the little things spell casters can do, so Cantrip has orisons covered already.

A 37 The Life handbook will have drawbacks related to healing. A 'heal others only' drawback was considered, but I don't think it will go in, as it really isn't balanced for a drawback. There will be, however, a 'heal others by taking their damage' option.

You are correct. I was looking at Hero Lab rather than the book. And according to the book Heal is a class skill for the Hedgewitch already. I will submit that to the SoP Hero Lab creator. Thanks for pointing that outl

As for Cantrips, your definition is correct in D&D but in Pathfinder they actually split Cantrips out for the Arcane tradition and Orisons for the Divine. And there are vastly different abilities for each.

Ualaa
2017-01-16, 06:32 AM
Q 38 Short of the Light Sphere, what are some counters to Darkness?

Specifically, I'm running 'Rise of the Drow' (AAW Games), and one of my players has made a replacement character who is focused on the Dark Sphere. The Drow are a highly magical race, but their thing is Darkness and not Light...

The player in question has 'Clearsight' on each of the party members (1 SP each, for an hour per character), and is using Darkness with Pure Darkness (Standard Action, duration concentration... not spending the spell point for a duration without concentration, so he can move/place the darkness as required).

Pure Darkness notes that Darkvision still extends 5 ft., so the Drow could just advance into the darkness slowly, until adjacent and then attack without issue.

I don't want to just invalidate a build, but the Drow thing is darkness...

Q 39 Clearsight says that the target gains immunity to all negative effects of your darkness talents for 1 hour per caster level. Does that mean that if two casters both do darkness, via the Dark sphere, Clearsight is essentially useless since you cannot see in their darkness, only your own?

Lirya
2017-01-16, 09:52 AM
A 39: This is correct.

A 38: I imagine most Drow would do as suggested in Q 39 and counter darkness with their own darkness, so that both parties are on equal terms. They would also be used to fighting in darkness as such have feats like Blind-Fight or perhaps the Blindfolded Oracle (sense) Divination Talent to gain Blindsense/Blindsight (it is better than nothing even with halved range). As most mages, picking up Counterspell (dispel magic) at 5th level and Counterspell Mastery (to counterspell others as an Immediate Action) at 7th level is very tempting to have a fair chance of shutting down inconvenient spells.

khadgar567
2017-01-16, 10:02 AM
Q40 is there a way to hijack some one elses spell from them?

A.J.Gibson
2017-01-16, 11:07 AM
Q40 is there a way to hijack some one elses spell from them?

There is something like that in the Enhancement book. The Protection book may end up having something like that as well.

inuyasha
2017-01-16, 02:04 PM
Q41 In addition to the other questions I'd asked a while ago, I've got one more about the magic item system. If I was to make a wondrous item item based on the extradimensional storage talent, would the uses per day indicate times per day that I can draw from it or place things in? If so, how would I make it so that I could have a continuous, at will, extradimensional storage.

Beez
2017-01-17, 11:24 AM
I've been slowly working through the questions threads, but I'm in a couple games currently and these questions are coming up, so I apologize if there are repeats. Google didn't show anything, at least.

Q42: If a Life caster has the Fount of Life talent, can they heal themselves with the stored healing after they fall unconscious, like as an automatic bodily function? How about if they have the talent that brings people back from the dead as well, could the Fount of Life healing kick in after they've technically died?

Q43: Staves. The bonus cost for applying an enhancement bonus to another sphere is +1. Is that enhancement bonus the same bonus as the first sphere, or is it separate? As in, could I have a +10 staff that gives me a +5 bonus to 6 spheres, or is the best I could do a +5 bonus to 2 spheres or some dispersion thereof?

Mehangel
2017-01-17, 11:27 AM
Q43: Staves. The bonus cost for applying an enhancement bonus to another sphere is +1. Is that enhancement bonus the same bonus as the first sphere, or is it separate? As in, could I have a +10 staff that gives me a +5 bonus to 6 spheres, or is the best I could do a +5 bonus to 2 spheres or some dispersion thereof?

A43: The best you can have with a staff is one that grants a +5 bonus to two spheres or some dispersion thereof.

legomaster00156
2017-01-17, 11:29 AM
Q42: If a Life caster has the Fount of Life talent, can they heal themselves with the stored healing after they fall unconscious, like as an automatic bodily function? How about if they have the talent that brings people back from the dead as well, could the Fount of Life healing kick in after they've technically died?
A42. This would require the Contingency feat, but as a GM, I would allow both of these.

meemaas
2017-01-17, 03:16 PM
A43: The best you can have with a staff is one that grants a +5 bonus to two spheres or some dispersion thereof.

Can you quote a source for that? Because everything I've seen has favored the first possibility over the second.

Mehangel
2017-01-17, 03:32 PM
Can you quote a source for that? Because everything I've seen has favored the first possibility over the second.

+5/+5 would be the highest (like swords and armor, staves have a max of +10, but only half can be bonus to a single sphere.)

I dont have a link, but I could post screenshots of the Skype conversation.

meemaas
2017-01-17, 03:38 PM
If it is what Adam intended, I don't have any reason to argue, but there might be need for some Errata to clarify that, because the wording implies otherwise.

Lirya
2017-01-17, 03:58 PM
Wow... After reading the Second Sphere again I can see how it is possible to interpret it both ways but errata is definitely needed to clarify it. Too bad really, since that means high level sphere users with multiple spheres that use caster level need to carry a golfbag (efficient quiver) full of staves as that is way cheaper.

Kentama
2017-01-17, 05:06 PM
I haven't done a more complex analysis and crunched the numbers yet, but it seems like SoP rewards multiclassing a lot more than traditional pathfinder. The capstone abilities are certainly good, but they seem more awesome from a flavor perspective than a numbers perspective. Also, many of the classes have amazing level 1's. I'm just looking for other people's perspectives on this assertion for the most part. One specific instance of this that stands out is incanter. Is there anything preventing somebody from taking a level in incanter, picking out a sphere specialization AND a sorcerer bloodline (for the max of 5 specialization points), and then never leveling incanter again to circumvent the lost bonus feats?

I'm working on a character now who's part incanter (warp focus), monk, fey adept, shifter, symbiat, and thaumaturge. It's all still in early design stages but I've never seen such a disparate multiclass build in pathfinder seem so promising

digiman619
2017-01-17, 06:19 PM
I haven't done a more complex analysis and crunched the numbers yet, but it seems like SoP rewards multiclassing a lot more than traditional pathfinder. The capstone abilities are certainly good, but they seem more awesome from a flavor perspective than a numbers perspective. Also, many of the classes have amazing level 1's. I'm just looking for other people's perspectives on this assertion for the most part. One specific instance of this that stands out is incanter. Is there anything preventing somebody from taking a level in incanter, picking out a sphere specialization AND a sorcerer bloodline (for the max of 5 specialization points), and then never leveling incanter again to circumvent the lost bonus feats?

I'm working on a character now who's part incanter (warp focus), monk, fey adept, shifter, symbiat, and thaumaturge. It's all still in early design stages but I've never seen such a disparate multiclass build in pathfinder seem so promising

Being multiclass friendly was a design goal as I recall. As for the incanter, you could just take 1 level and nab a school specialization and a bloodline, but both of them scale to your incanter class level, so if you only care about the 1st level bloodline power and the passive and first active abilities from your specialization, you'll be grand. Whether that's worth more than a bonus feat that you could spend on Extra Magic Talent is up to you, however.

CasualViking
2017-01-18, 06:49 AM
Q: What do you think of the following Drawbacks?

Wish-granter (lesser): In order to cast, someone else must have audibly expressed a wish, desire or need that your casting will wholly or partially fulfill. Examples: "kill them", "we need cover" or "I'm hungry". Out of combat, anything expressed within the last few minutes is fair game. In combat, only wishes expressed in combat or immediately leading up to are valid. In either case, once you start granting a wish, you can continue to do so, or you can grant wishes expressed after your action, but granting one wish voids all wishes heard before that. This drawback can be circumvented with Silent Spell.

Wish-granter (greater): As the lesser version, but the phrase must be expressed as an order, wish or request; the examples above become "kill them", get us some cover", or "I wish I had some food". Also, the wisher must be mortal (not Outsider, Construct or Undead) and not under the Wish-granter's control, and the drawback can not be circumvented.

khadgar567
2017-01-18, 07:16 AM
Q44: What do you think of the following Drawbacks?

Wish-granter (lesser): In order to cast, someone else must have audibly expressed a wish, desire or need that your casting will wholly or partially fulfill. Examples: "kill them", "we need cover" or "I'm hungry". Out of combat, anything expressed within the last few minutes is fair game. In combat, only wishes expressed in combat or immediately leading up to are valid. In either case, once you start granting a wish, you can continue to do so, or you can grant wishes expressed after your action, but granting one wish voids all wishes heard before that. This drawback can be circumvented with Silent Spell.

Wish-granter (greater): As the lesser version, but the phrase must be expressed as an order, wish or request; the examples above become "kill them", get us some cover", or "I wish I had some food". Also, the wisher must be mortal (not Outsider, Construct or Undead) and not under the Wish-granter's control, and the drawback can not be circumvented.
A44 I prefer to keep my genie team mate either in her bottle or some sort of way that only my party can use it. this is kind a to dangerous in the middle of combat its to easy to hear the words " I wish ......" then its dc 10 int save to understand you got a genie in the capture able range and the only thing you need some combat talents to keep it cced until fight ends then its up to up to last wish you ever need .

Ualaa
2017-01-18, 08:46 AM
One specific instance of this that stands out is incanter...

From what I've seen, most if not all full/high casters would take a level in Incanter for the +1 caster level within the specialization school.
The specialization bonuses are either gained at later levels, or are +1 per 2 Incanter levels.

Still, if you specialize in Warp and are a high/full caster at level 9, you count as level 10 in the Warp sphere. That's very useful.

The whole Magic Attack Bonus system, akin to Base Attack Bonus, promotes multiclassing with casters just like a martial could go Fighter 4 and Barbarian 4, and fight like a level 8 not a level 4 in one style and a level 4 in another style of combat.

Interesting build

Giddonihah
2017-01-21, 04:39 PM
Q45: How does Energy Snake (Destroyers Handbook) work when it hits a clump of enemies? Like say if it initially hits the 1st enemy, can you then cause it to extend into another square with an enemy, and so on?
Q46: How does energy sphere work with Blast types that leave behind hazards? (Such as Razor Blast)

Kaouse
2017-01-22, 05:46 AM
Q47

The Dual Channeler "counts as worshipping any deity and possessing any alignment when meeting the prerequisites for channeling feats."

Does this apply to Variant Channeling, allowing them to select any option?

RedMop
2017-01-23, 12:29 AM
Various Character Examples

Would you mind doing a shifter of advanced level (aka 6+)?

Ualaa
2017-01-24, 12:39 AM
I've not built, nor had one of my player's play, a Shifter before.
Not sure if this is the best approach.

Used a standard 20-point buy and standard wealth by level (33,000gp).

Took a level in Monk, and then went Shifter 7.

Stats include... Alteration (Shapeshift):
- Fire Elemental transformation
- One size smaller (could go two)
- Natural Armor +2 (from Plant Transformation)

I put points into Conjuration, and took a (base form) Shadow... with defensive talents pet...
+Armor Class, +Dexterity (Attack & AC)...
For a flank...

Forgot a talent, I normally lean towards +Initiative (Reactionary +2) unless I have a build direction.

Shifter, Level 8
Male ophiduan unchained monk 1/shifter 7 (Pathfinder Unchained 14)
CG Small humanoid (reptilian)
Init +10 (+2 with Reactionary); Senses Perception +20
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 30, touch 25, flat-footed 20 (+9 Dex, +1 dodge, +5 natural, +1 size, +4 Wis)
hp 68 (8 HD; 7d8+1d10+23)
Fort +9, Ref +16, Will +6; +2 racial bonus vs poison.
Defensive Abilities evasion, fortification 25%; Resist fire 7
Weaknesses beast soul, elongated summoning, limited restoration, lycanthropic, prepared caster, somatic casting, somatic casting
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 40 ft.
Melee unarmed strike +14/+14/+9 (1d4+13) or
. . 2 slams +14 (1d4+13)
Special Attacks enhanced attacks (magic), enhanced attacks (silver/cold iron), flurry of blows (unchained), stunning fist (2/day, DC 18)
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 11, Dex 28, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 8
Base Atk +6; CMB +3; CMD 29
Feats Cantrips, Deadly Agility, Dodge, Endurance, Extra Magic Talent, Improved Unarmed Strike, Power Attack, Stunning Fist, Weapon Finesse, Wild Talent
Skills Acrobatics +9 (+13 to jump), Fly +15, Perception +20, Sense Motive +12, Spellcraft +5, Stealth +29, Survival +15 (+20 when tracking)
Languages Common, Ophidian; steal language
SQ armored companion (form), bestial traits (bestial speed 10 ft., evasion), boon companion (form), casting, cure, deformed, elemental transformation, greater healing, greater summoning, greater transformation, invigorate, lingering companion (form), lingering transformation (3 rounds), magic skill bonus, magic skill defense, plant transformation, quick companion (form), quick transformation, serpent's bite, shapeshifter, shapeshifting, size change, summon, wild empathy
Combat Gear Spherestaff of Life +1; Other Gear belt of incredible dexterity +4, cloak of elvenkind, cracked dusty rose prism ioun stone, handy haversack, headband of inspired wisdom +2, lenses of detection, ring of sustenance
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Alteration: Greater Transformation You can give your shapeshift target an extra trait
Alteration: Plant Transformation You can give your shapeshift target the plant form
Alteration: Shapeshifting (3 traits) You can bestow the Blank Form
Alteration: Size Change (+/- 2 size cat.) You can change the size of your shapeshift target
Bestial speed (10 feet) (Ex) Increase your base move speed by 10 ft.
Casting (CL 5, Wisdom, DC 14) You can cast sphere effects.
Conjuration: Armored Companion (Companion) Companion gains +2 armor bonus, +1/odd HD
Conjuration: Boon Companion (Companion) Companion gains HD as if your CL were 5 higher
Conjuration: Greater Summoning Companion remains for 10 minutes/CL when you spend a SP
Conjuration: Lingering Companion (Companion) Companion can remain longer for additional SP
Conjuration: Quick Companion (Companion) Companion gains +2 DEX, +1 per 2 HD
Conjuration: Summon Summon a creature that follows your commands
Deadly Agility Use Dex for damage with light and finesse weapons
Deformed Part of the ophiduan history involved experimenting on their physical form to create a superior caste. Unfortunate bloodlines of ophiduans are instead twisted versions of the race, when the improvement caused an unexpected side-effect. Ophiduans with
Elongated Summoning Summoning a creature requires 1 minute of concentrated effort, rather than only a standard action.
Endurance +4 to a variety of fort saves, skill and ability checks. Sleep in L/M armor with no fatigue.
Energy Resistance, Fire (1) You have the specified Energy Resistance against Fire attacks.
Enhanced Attacks (Magic) (Su) Your natural attacks count as magic for overcoming DR
Enhanced Attacks (Silver/Cold Iron) (Su) Your natural attacks count as silver and cold iron for overcoming DR
Evasion (Ex) If succeed on Reflex save for half dam, take none instead.
Flurry of Blows (Unchained) (Ex) As full-rd action, gain extra attacks with unarmed strike/monk weapons.
Fortification 25% You have a chance to negate critical hits on attacks.
Improved Unarmed Strike Unarmed strikes don't cause attacks of opportunity, and can be lethal.
Life: Cure 1d8+12 Heal a target for 1d8+12 hit points
Life: Greater Healing Your cure heals 1 additional HP per caster level
Life: Invigorate (Up to 6 temp HP) Grant up to 6 temporary HP to an injured target
Limited Restoration (Restore banned) You lose access to either restore or cure/invigorate
Lingering Transformation (3 rounds) Shapeshifts on yourself last longer
Lycanthropic You can only target yourself with your shapeshift ability
MSB +7 Use for counterspelling, concentration, caster level checks, and beating SR
MSD 18 Use when defending against an MSB check
Power Attack -2/+4 You can subtract from your attack roll to add to your damage.
Prepared Caster You must assign your spell points to spheres prior to using them
Quick Transformation Apply and maintain shapeshift on yourself as a move action
Serpent's Bite (Ps) Once per day, an ophiduan can alter his jaws, gaining a bite attack that deals 1d8 points of damage, plus an extra 1d8 points of damage per five character levels beyond 1st. This effect lasts for 1 minute. The manifester level is equal to the ophidua
Shapeshifter Gain Alteration as a bonus sphere, and use your class level as caster level with Destruction
Steal Language (Su) Touch a target to learn one of its languages for 24 hours
Stunning Fist (2/day, DC 18) You can stun an opponent with an unarmed attack.
Stunning Fist Helper This is a dummy ability to add an extra entry for the stunning fist feat in another section of the statblock (since it is shown with a different name in the two places, we can't use sbName).
Wild Empathy +7 (Ex) Improve the attitude of an animal, as if using Diplomacy.
Wild Talent (2/Power Points) You are a psionic character and gain 2 power points.
--------------------
Alteration: Fire Elemental, -1 Size, +2 Natural Armor (Plant Transformation).

RedMop
2017-01-24, 12:57 AM
The Shifter Build

Thanks. I'm glad I wasn't missing anything. I asked to make sure I understood what I was doing. I was pretty close.

digiman619
2017-01-24, 02:11 PM
Q49: When teleporting someone else by using the Ranged Teleport talent, does the distance I can teleport them start from where I am, or from where they start?

pilvento
2017-01-24, 03:31 PM
Q50: When choosing the shape or energy focus drawback for the destruction sphere. Can I still use the untyped blast and the regular touch attack ?

AmberVael
2017-01-24, 04:07 PM
Q49: When teleporting someone else by using the Ranged Teleport talent, does the distance I can teleport them start from where I am, or from where they start?

A49

So, technically Warp doesn't have a maximum distance it can teleport something. It is, however, limited to a certain range from yourself. This may sound like a picky distinction, but it matters when you're teleporting someone else. Because its limited by range from you rather than having a distance, you can't ever teleport someone outside of that Close/Medium/Long range from yourself. On the other hand, you could teleport someone at the very edge of your range to the very other edge of your range, effectively teleporting them twice the distance you could ever cover yourself (since you're always in the center of your range).

Think of it like a sphere that emanates from your caster. Anything you teleport can go anywhere else inside that sphere, but never outside it.

Does that make sense?

stack
2017-01-24, 04:33 PM
Q45: How does Energy Snake (Destroyers Handbook) work when it hits a clump of enemies? Like say if it initially hits the 1st enemy, can you then cause it to extend into another square with an enemy, and so on?
Q46: How does energy sphere work with Blast types that leave behind hazards? (Such as Razor Blast)
A45: an energy snake could be extended into an occupied square, forcing a reflex save. If enemies are arranged properly, you can keep doing this until you run out of enemies or one makes a save.
A46: If the energy sphere is in the 5 ft. cube just above the ground, it would leave the difficult terrain as normal. If it is higher, no effect, since I believe it is not intended to form crystals that float in mid air.

Q50: When choosing the shape or energy focus drawback for the destruction sphere. Can I still use the untyped blast and the regular touch attack ?
A50:Yes, the base blast type and shape are valid selections.

pilvento
2017-01-24, 04:48 PM
Thanks, but also sory cause my 1st question was a bit vague.

Q51:When choosing the shape or energy focus drawback for the destruction sphere. Can I still use the untyped blast and the regular touch attack? Example I chose fire as the energy type but I can still use the untyped blast since it is "untyped", yeah ... my players do like exploit RAW a lot.

digiman619
2017-01-24, 05:06 PM

Q51:When choosing the shape or energy focus drawback for the destruction sphere. Can I still use the untyped blast and the regular touch attack? Example I chose fire as the energy type but I can still use the untyped blast since it is "untyped", yeah ... my players do like exploit RAW a lot.

Base destructive blasts deal bludgeoning damage; same as a mace. It still counts as magic for DR purposes.

stack
2017-01-24, 05:34 PM

A51:No, if you take the drawback for a shape or type, you no longer possess the base shape or type.

AlienFromBeyond
2017-01-27, 12:56 AM
Q52: What exactly is the point of the Variable Barrel Geometry arsenal trick for the Blaster archetype? The Arm Cannon class feature already states that "he may nonetheless augment his arm cannon with (blast type) and (blast shape) talents", so it seems to just waste a trick to do a thing you could already do and slow it down to a full-round action compared to just doing Charged Shot and then using a blast shape normally.

Q53: Speaking of Charged Shot on the Blaster, is it even necessary? Again the Arm Cannon class features says, "In all other ways, the arm cannon counts as a destructive blast from the Destruction sphere". To my reading that means you can already spend a spell point to increase the damage to one die per level anyways.

Basically comes down to two abilities that seem redundant unless there's supposed to be more restrictions in Arm Cannon than it currently has.

stack
2017-01-27, 12:10 PM
Q52: What exactly is the point of the Variable Barrel Geometry arsenal trick for the Blaster archetype? The Arm Cannon class feature already states that "he may nonetheless augment his arm cannon with (blast type) and (blast shape) talents", so it seems to just waste a trick to do a thing you could already do and slow it down to a full-round action compared to just doing Charged Shot and then using a blast shape normally.

Q53: Speaking of Charged Shot on the Blaster, is it even necessary? Again the Arm Cannon class features says, "In all other ways, the arm cannon counts as a destructive blast from the Destruction sphere". To my reading that means you can already spend a spell point to increase the damage to one die per level anyways.

Basically comes down to two abilities that seem redundant unless there's supposed to be more restrictions in Arm Cannon than it currently has.

A52:You normally can apply blast shapes, yes. But they are locked at the low damage progression of the hand cannon (1d6+1d6 at 5th and every 4 levels after). This trick essentially gives you the ability to use a shape with gather energy using your class level as CL, so you can put shapes to better use. Normally spamming shapes on a full attack is too expensive, since you pay per attack and get poor damage out of it (unless you are using a free shape, such as explosive orb using the reduced cost option of the improved explosive orb feat to make your arm cannon a mini grenade launcher).

A53: It lets you make a single, larger attack while on the move (so you can spend a spell point to get a bigger attack if you can't full attack).

So the confusion seems to stem from the damage being locked. "The arm cannon is a ranged weapon that makes ranged touch attacks, and deals 1d6 bludgeoning damage +1d6 at 5th level and every four levels beyond 5th." The later portion about applying shapes and talents doesn't change that.

AlienFromBeyond
2017-01-27, 01:09 PM
So the confusion seems to stem from the damage being locked. "The arm cannon is a ranged weapon that makes ranged touch attacks, and deals 1d6 bludgeoning damage +1d6 at 5th level and every four levels beyond 5th." The later portion about applying shapes and talents doesn't change that.
It states that it still counts as destructive blast in all other ways and doesn't state that you are unable to do the "You may spend 1 spell point when making a destructive blast to increase the damage dealt to one damage die per caster level" part of destructive blast. I'm not trying to say you're wrong obviously since you wrote it, but to me there is a serious disconnect in the written rules and what is clearly your intent from your response. It's just too bad that Charged Shot is a standard action and not an Attack Action, would have been fun to combine it with Spheres of Might stuff.

stack
2017-01-27, 02:39 PM
I believe the word 'other' is key here. After defining its damage, it is in all other ways like a destructive blast. I don't see how it could be read to allow you to increase the damage by spending a spell point, especially when the next paragraph specifically states that the arm cannon is not directly tied to the armorist's caster level.

AlienFromBeyond
2017-01-27, 03:10 PM
I believe the word 'other' is key here. After defining its damage, it is in all other ways like a destructive blast.
But to me the ability to spend a spell point to augment a destructive blast's damage is separate from its regular damage, whether the every odd level of regular blasts or the reduced one of the Arm Cannon. The other thing is that Doomblade specifically calls out the inability to increase damage to one die per level, so the absence of that in Arm Cannon made me think it might have been intentional, until I saw Charged Shot and went, "Wait a minute, then what's the point of this arsenal trick?".

I don't see how it could be read to allow you to increase the damage by spending a spell point, especially when the next paragraph specifically states that the arm cannon is not directly tied to the armorist's caster level.
It may not be directly tied to the armorist's caster level, but it certainly has "a caster level equal to the armorist’s level".

I want to be clear that I get what you're saying, I just think it's not as clear in the text as you think it is, at least to my reading.

Kaouse
2017-01-27, 11:05 PM
Q47

The Dual Channeler "counts as worshipping any deity and possessing any alignment when meeting the prerequisites for channeling feats."

It seems like this question was skipped. I'm new here, so I don't suppose there's a reason?

At any rate, I have another question:

Q54: The Thaumaturge can use two archetypes simultaneously, the Devourer archetype and the Pact Mage Archetype.

From the Devourer:
"Whenever the devourer scores a confirmed critical hit against a living enemy or reduces a living enemy to 0 or fewer hit points, he can steal some of that creature’s energy. The devourer may use his forbidden lore the next round without any fear of backlash."

From the Pact Mage (Infernal Pact):
"Dark Lore: At 14th level, when using forbidden lore, you may use an invocation to increase your forbidden lore bonus by +4 and negate the need to roll for failure. However, after completing your action, you automatically suffer backlash penalty."

Can these two be used together? If so, do you suffer backlash penalty?

stack
2017-01-28, 07:51 AM
Dual channeled question was probably missed since Amber and I can't speak authoritatively on intent there. Probably have to wait for Adam to get that one.

Sky
2017-01-31, 09:02 PM
Hi there.

I have a player who wants to make a Mageknight focused on Telekinesis (basically a Jedi). I'm trying to make an archetype for Mageknight similar to the Flying Blade for the Armorist, where he can be a High-Caster for Telekinesis.

Currently, my plan is:

Lose: Medium armor proficiency, Resist Magic

Gain: Full-Caster progression for Telekinesis only.

Does that seem fair?

Player is going to be a Halfling, so I figure with Powerful Telekinesis he can throw his weapon around at level 1 and himself by level 3.

Also, he wants to Force Choke people. I was looking at the Telekinetic Crush talent, and I'm not exactly sure what's going on there. I think it's an extension of Hostile Lift, correct? In that case, would he be limited to using it on things he can lift? He won't get to lifting Medium-sized enemies until level 5, which seems like a while to wait.

Finally, one bit of errata: There's a Mageknight Mystic Combat called Mystic Might. As written, it increases your size category to Large regardless of your current size, which works a little strangely with Small (or smaller!) races.

Scowling Dragon
2017-01-31, 09:46 PM
Alright, I find myself in kinda a bind.

One of my players wants to play a "Plantomancer" a character that sculpts plants and uses them to create magic tech and such.

The problem for me is where this intersects between Living (Alteration Sphere), Object (Creation Sphere) or Plant (Nature Sphere).

Does he use animate object to replicate this? When they are animated do they heal with heal? Or mend?

Its all very confusing.

Kentama
2017-02-01, 08:48 AM
I have a question about the Dark sphere

Do the negative effects from talents like snagging/looming/hungry darkness effect the caster as well? Do you need to take the Clearsight talent and cast it on yourself to avoid these effects?

Aoleleb
2017-02-02, 06:05 PM
Q55: The alchemist discovery "Hedgewitch Secret" states "The alchemist may gain a hedgewitch secret, having an effective hedgewitch level equal to its alchemist level. The alchemist must have sphere casting capability in order to select this discovery. You may select this alchemist discovery multiple times, each time selecting a different hedgewitch secret."

The rogue talent version states "A rogue with this talent may gain a hedgewitch non-tradition secret, having an effective hedgewitch level equal to its rogue level. You may select this rogue talent multiple times, each time selecting a different hedgewitch secret. A rogue must be able to use sphere talents and abilities to select this talent."

Does this distinction mean that, for example, a Rogue with casting could not take Priestly Initiate followed by Extra Healing, but that an Alchemist could?

A.J.Gibson
2017-02-02, 06:42 PM
Hi there.

I have a player who wants to make a Mageknight focused on Telekinesis (basically a Jedi). I'm trying to make an archetype for Mageknight similar to the Flying Blade for the Armorist, where he can be a High-Caster for Telekinesis.

Currently, my plan is:

Lose: Medium armor proficiency, Resist Magic

Gain: Full-Caster progression for Telekinesis only.

Does that seem fair?

Player is going to be a Halfling, so I figure with Powerful Telekinesis he can throw his weapon around at level 1 and himself by level 3.

Also, he wants to Force Choke people. I was looking at the Telekinetic Crush talent, and I'm not exactly sure what's going on there. I think it's an extension of Hostile Lift, correct? In that case, would he be limited to using it on things he can lift? He won't get to lifting Medium-sized enemies until level 5, which seems like a while to wait.

Finally, one bit of errata: There's a Mageknight Mystic Combat called Mystic Might. As written, it increases your size category to Large regardless of your current size, which works a little strangely with Small (or smaller!) races.

The general rule for granting full-casting is that it costs 1 feat to grant full-casting with one sphere for a mid-caster, or you can grant full-casting with one function of a sphere (if it has multiple functions) to a low-caster. Logically, granting full-casting with one sphere to a low-caster is 2 feats, but this is generally considered bad design. Low-casters should really not be relying on sphere abilities except for utility functions, a specialized caster is usually a mid-caster with full-casting in 1 sphere.

I think the best way to get what you want is to replace Resist Magic with a series of telekinetic supernatural powers. Don't make him a full-caster, just give him the abilities you want directly. Level 1: dancing sword. Level 5: telekinetic jumping. Level 9: telekinetic bull rush/hostile lift. Level 13: Levitation. Level 17: force choke. Each level of resist magic is, in my mind, worth a feat by itself, or close to it (compare it to Iron Will, +2 to one saving throw or +1 to all saves versus a very common attack type).

Warriorking9001
2017-02-02, 09:30 PM
Well. I actually was a bit curious/confused about one of the lines from the Armorist.

Note, quote taken from the Wiki

Beginning at 10th level, the armorist may also place weapon enhancements on her staffs and staff enhancements on her weapons.

I was curious as to whether you could take bound equipment twice for the same item... Let me explain what I mean.

Let's say I have a level 10 human armorist looking to take a staff as his next bound item.

Could he instead use the bound item slot to gain the benefits of the staff with his longsword?

Mithril Leaf
2017-02-03, 04:26 PM
Question 56: Do racial hit dice count as levels for the purpose of Advanced Magical Training? For example could a Shadow Mastiff with the Basic Magical Training in Darkness take Advanced Magical Training to increase his CL to 3?

Scowling Dragon
2017-02-03, 10:48 PM
Question 57A? How was the "Create Creature" Spellcraft ability made? I can't wrap my head around how the spheres, complexity and duraction combined in order to reach the desired effect.

edit:

Question 57b?: I just noticed that Im unsure of what qualifies as talent worthy of increasing complexity. The grow Plants extra ability for Armor of Vines didn't qaulify the ability for Complexity 3, whilst for the blessing of time Improved haste did.

Also Blessing of Times misconnect in the duration icreased its spellpoint cost, whilst not doing the same for Armor of Vines.

EldritchWeaver
2017-02-04, 05:02 AM
Question 56: Do racial hit dice count as levels for the purpose of Advanced Magical Training? For example could a Shadow Mastiff with the Basic Magical Training in Darkness take Advanced Magical Training to increase his CL to 3?

A56: The feat says that levels in a spellcasting class do not count for AMT. So it solely depends if the Shadow Mastiff has racial spellcasting or not. Considering that only some monsters of the bestiary in the Wizards Academy book have this property, I do not see a reason why AMT doesn't work as suggested for the Shadow Mastiff. The answer would be different for e.g. the unicorn conversion, it counts as a High-Caster itself.

Scowling Dragon
2017-02-05, 12:51 AM
Question 58:

Isn't the Armor Animated Object Option rediculously good in comparison to just about every other defensive option? Bonus HP as well as a large bonus to AC. On top of that it doesn't specify what size your allowed to wear. And so does an armor also add DR as well?

EldritchWeaver
2017-02-05, 10:51 AM
I've been thinking about making Empiricist Investigator SoP-compatible which means that I only need to replace the alchemy feature. So my question:

Q59: Is the investigator a pure Mid-Caster with a 15/20 talent progression? Or would you give him full CL for Divination as well?

Mehangel
2017-02-05, 11:28 AM
Question 58:

Isn't the Armor Animated Object Option rediculously good in comparison to just about every other defensive option? Bonus HP as well as a large bonus to AC. On top of that it doesn't specify what size your allowed to wear. And so does an armor also add DR as well?

I am sorry, what are you talking about as the "Armor Animated Object Option"?

Are you talking about using Animate Object on a suit of armor that you are wearing? If so, you are Entangled, and must make a Reflex save each round or else become Staggered. (Spheres of Power, pg 30)

Or are you talking about the CP Ability: Armor (Ex; 1 CP)? If so, you must understand that the verbage suggests that the animated object in question must already possess an armor bonus to grant one. For example, if you animate a set of Padded Armor, it will grant a +1 armor bonus to AC to its wearer, but if you were to animate a large quilt sheet and attempt to "don" it, it will not grant an armor bonus to AC, because it does not have one (natural AC is not the same as armor bonus, they are two separate types). (Enhancer's Handbook, pg25)

As for the size, normally suits of armor are considered to be the same size category as the creature they are built for, exceptions do exist. (Telekinetic's Handbook, pg 26); However, as a GM I would probably allow using Animate Object on Magical Items such as Bracer's of Armor, which I would probably consider each individually to be Diminutive size, but paired to be Tiny size. I also wouldn't bestow the entangled condition, but may still require the Reflex save vs Staggered condition.

Mehangel
2017-02-05, 11:37 AM
I've been thinking about making Empiricist Investigator SoP-compatible which means that I only need to replace the alchemy feature. So my question:

Q59: Is the investigator a pure Mid-Caster with a 15/20 talent progression? Or would you give him full CL for Divination as well?

A59: The Psyforensic (Investigator Archetype) (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/psyforensic) found in the Diviner's Handbook is compatible with the Empiricist Investigator. But if you only want to replace the alchemy feature, it would be a pure Mid-Caster with 15/20 talent progression.

Scowling Dragon
2017-02-05, 11:52 AM
Or are you talking about the CP Ability: Armor (Ex; 1 CP)? If so, you must understand that the verbage suggests that the animated object in question must already possess an armor bonus to grant one. For example, if you animate a set of Padded Armor, it will grant a +1 armor bonus to AC to its wearer, but if you were to animate a large quilt sheet and attempt to "don" it, it will not grant an armor bonus to AC, because it does not have one (natural AC is not the same as armor bonus, they are two separate types). (Enhancer's Handbook, pg25)

Makes sense.

TheIronGolem
2017-02-05, 08:01 PM
Q60: For the purposes of the "Hedgewitch Secret" rogue talent, do the "Amateur Whatever" secrets count as tradition secrets? That is to say, can a rogue use that talent to gain (for example) Amateur Black Mage and the associated Oracle Curse? Also, are Grand Secrets eligible choices?

Mehangel
2017-02-05, 09:20 PM
Q60: For the purposes of the "Hedgewitch Secret" rogue talent, do the "Amateur Whatever" secrets count as tradition secrets? That is to say, can a rogue use that talent to gain (for example) Amateur Black Mage and the associated Oracle Curse? Also, are Grand Secrets eligible choices?

A60 "Amateur X" secrets are not intended to be taken with the the "Hedgewitch Secret" rogue talent, Grand Secrets are also not eligible.

TheIronGolem
2017-02-05, 10:57 PM
A60 "Amateur X" secrets are not intended to be taken with the the "Hedgewitch Secret" rogue talent, Grand Secrets are also not eligible.

Cool, thanks. Expect more Divination-related pestering in the next few weeks.

And on that note: Q61: Since Prescient Dodger acts a lot like the monk's AC bonus, should it interact with abilities that allow a monk to retain their AC bonus when armored and/or shielded?

Mehangel
2017-02-06, 12:01 AM
Q61: Since Prescient Dodger acts a lot like the monk's AC bonus, should it interact with abilities that allow a monk to retain their AC bonus when armored and/or shielded?

A61: I am not familiar with any such abilities, but I dont think there should be any problem with Prescient Dodger interacting similarly. EDIT: Digiman619 is most likely correct in that there is probably an official FAQ on the matter that would prevent such interaction, but I am not familiar with the FAQ.

digiman619
2017-02-06, 12:06 AM
Cool, thanks. Expect more Divination-related pestering in the next few weeks.

And on that note: Q61: Since Prescient Dodger acts a lot like the monk's AC bonus, should it interact with abilities that allow a monk to retain their AC bonus when armored and/or shielded?

RAW, no. A brawler's flurry is very similar to a flurry of blows, but magic items and prestige classes that advance it won't work for a brawler, as I was irritated to find out.

A.J.Gibson
2017-02-06, 10:37 AM
Q62: If I combine crystal blast or any other blast type that requires a reflex save with explosive orb, is there one saving throw or 2? What if I have orb expertise that increases the save DC for the orb, but shouldn't logically increase the save for the crystal blast?

stack
2017-02-06, 11:27 AM
Q62: If I combine crystal blast or any other blast type that requires a reflex save with explosive orb, is there one saving throw or 2? What if I have orb expertise that increases the save DC for the orb, but shouldn't logically increase the save for the crystal blast?

A62: Unfortunately, unlike most blast types, the 'creature that takes damage' language is not used, muddying the waters. I would rule that it should be a separate Reflex save, though combining them into one would be a perfectly reasonable houserule to streamline play. I will let Adam weigh in on if the distinction here is deliberate. Wording on the feat also specifies the orb blast shape, rather than blasts using the explosive orb blast shape. This was authorial oversight and will be added to the book's errata.

masterjoda99
2017-02-06, 01:47 PM
Q 63 How would one best make a Green Lantern style character with spheres, beyond the obvious bits (take Light and Creation spheres, the Hard Light feat, and the Focus Casting drawback)?

Kentama
2017-02-08, 08:11 AM
Question 64

In the dark sphere, do the negative effects from talents like snagging/looming/hungry darkness effect the caster as well? Do you need to take the Clearsight talent and cast it on yourself to avoid these effects?

khadgar567
2017-02-08, 08:33 AM
Q65 how you say this class has both expert on combat and expert on magic?:biggrin:

Ualaa
2017-02-08, 08:36 AM
A 64
My reading of the book would suggest the darkness affects the caster fully, unless they have their own Clearsight up.
The same as if a Wizard were to move into their own Black Tentacles spell.

I didn't see anything that said the spherecaster would have immunity to their own effects, as nice as that would be. That is aside from Clearsight, which has a spell point cost.

EldritchWeaver
2017-02-08, 09:25 AM
Q65 how you say this class has both expert on combat and expert on magic?:biggrin:

What do you mean with "class" exactly?

khadgar567
2017-02-08, 09:40 AM
C65 any thing from barbarian to expert aka all pc and npc classes

stack
2017-02-08, 09:45 AM

C65 any thing from barbarian to expert aka all pc and npc classes

Your question seems to be missing something. Are you asking what class works best as a master of combat and magic? If so, various gish builds would be up for discussion, though out of the box I would say magus.

khadgar567
2017-02-08, 09:47 AM
Your question seems to be missing something. Are you asking what class works best as a master of combat and magic? If so, various gish builds would be up for discussion, though out of thr box I would say magus.
question 65 withdrawn as i can waith for the proper book to come( sphere magic and might fusion one).

Kentama
2017-02-08, 10:23 AM
A 64
My reading of the book would suggest the darkness affects the caster fully, unless they have their own Clearsight up.
The same as if a Wizard were to move into their own Black Tentacles spell.

I didn't see anything that said the spherecaster would have immunity to their own effects, as nice as that would be. That is aside from Clearsight, which has a spell point cost.

Thanks! I don't even have all of pathfinder's rules down 100% and have never played a Wizard.

Another Question, In the death sphere, does the basic exhausting strike (first ghost strike you learn) applying the automatic 1 round fatigue even upon a successful save always happen, or only if you spent your spell point to buff the spell to exhausted. (sorry for weird syntax)

Also in the death sphere, when it says multiple ghost strikes don't stack, lets say you cast exhausting strike on a target to fatigue them (no spell point) then next turn cast it again with a spell point for exhaustion, does this stack? This is mainly relevant for the purposes of The Killing Curse talent

EldritchWeaver
2017-02-08, 02:08 PM
Q67: What kind of attack is Bludgeon from the Telekinesis sphere? Melee or ranged?

Omnificer
2017-02-08, 03:32 PM
Q 63 How would one best make a Green Lantern style character with spheres, beyond the obvious bits (take Light and Creation spheres, the Hard Light feat, and the Focus Casting drawback)?

A 63 I'd definitely suggest the Destruction sphere with the Energy Focus (Light) drawback. A standard destruction blast is very similar to a generic green lantern blast. The Illuminating Admixture feat will then let you use Light talents with your blasts.

As far as classes, I'd definitely suggest the ArmigerArmorist. Just fluff your weapons and armor as hard light. If you don't want that then I'd suggest at least a few Protection talents to give you that green lantern force field.

EldritchWeaver
2017-02-08, 04:30 PM
As far as classes, I'd definitely suggest the Armiger.

Don't you mean Armorist?

Omnificer
2017-02-08, 05:12 PM
Don't you mean Armorist?

I absolutely did, thank you for pointing that out.

khadgar567
2017-02-09, 01:21 AM
Don't you mean Armorist?
actualy armiger shows their kilowogg/ batman training and their odd dependence of barrage of weapons aspect

Doc_Maynot
2017-02-09, 02:58 AM
Q68: If you use Alteration upon an incorporeal target, is it still incorporeal, or corporeal? As alteration states: "The target loses any extraordinary or supernatural abilities, natural attacks, and movement types dependent on their original form (darkvision, scent, wings, claws, etc.) and gains the listed benefits in their place." and Incorporeal under Universal Monster Rules is listed as an (Ex) Defensive Ability.

Milo v3
2017-02-09, 07:58 PM
Is there a few to get flight on a character without getting things like shapechanging or telekinesis which don't fit the concept?

inuyasha
2017-02-09, 08:35 PM
Is there a few to get flight on a character without getting things like shapechanging or telekinesis which don't fit the concept?

Well, let's see. What is the concept you're going for? Because it's pretty easy to refluff as appropriate, telekinesis being a lot easier for this.

Milo v3
2017-02-09, 08:45 PM
Well, let's see. What is the concept you're going for? Because it's pretty easy to refluff as appropriate, telekinesis being a lot easier for this.
Mystical monk who uses ki and body-control to do his powers, so his powers only affect himself. Alternatively, fire elementalist who shoots fire to fly around....

Also, I don't really see how telekinesis is easier for refluffing considering most characters with flight in fiction don't have telekinesis....? :smallconfused:

Omnificer
2017-02-09, 09:02 PM
Mystical monk who uses ki and body-control to do his powers, so his powers only affect himself. Alternatively, fire elementalist who shoots fire to fly around....

Also, I don't really see how telekinesis is easier for refluffing considering most characters with flight in fiction don't have telekinesis....? :smallconfused:

The re-fluffing part is where you just don't call it telekinesis. Call it Ki. Telekinesis doesn't have very many drawbacks for some reason, but it might be reasonable to make up one that only affects creatures and then one where you can only affect yourself, similar to what Enhancement has, and then you limit yourself from taking the talents that don't fit the thematics of Ki.

Beyond that, the Elementalist class can get a flight speed at level 7. It's meant to be based on air but there's no reason for it not to be fire jets.

TheIronGolem
2017-02-09, 09:04 PM

Limited Telekinesis (self) drawback, with Flight as your bonus talent.

Technically would need GM approval since Limited Telekinesis normally requires a "material" to be selected. You'd be effectively cutting yourself off from using Catch or Hostile Lift (and while you could use Bludgeon I wouldn't really recommend it), but that should be fine if those abilities don't fit your concept anyway. Plus it would make it easier to sell to a lot of GM's.

Milo v3
2017-02-09, 09:24 PM
The re-fluffing part is where you just don't call it telekinesis. Call it Ki. Telekinesis doesn't have very many drawbacks for some reason, but it might be reasonable to make up one that only affects creatures and then one where you can only affect yourself, similar to what Enhancement has, and then you limit yourself from taking the talents that don't fit the thematics of Ki.

Limited Telekinesis (self) drawback, with Flight as your bonus talent.

Technically would need GM approval since Limited Telekinesis normally requires a "material" to be selected. You'd be effectively cutting yourself off from using Catch or Hostile Lift (and while you could use Bludgeon I wouldn't really recommend it), but that should be fine if those abilities don't fit your concept anyway. Plus it would make it easier to sell to a lot of GM's.
So no. You can't without homebrewing.

Beyond that, the Elementalist class can get a flight speed at level 7. It's meant to be based on air but there's no reason for it not to be fire jets.
Weird I must have been misremembering stuff from the Fire Warrior archetype and gotten mixed up.

TheIronGolem
2017-02-09, 11:27 PM
So no. You can't without homebrewing.

Well, technically you don't need the drawback. You could just take TK sphere and the Flight talent, then never use the abilities on anyone but yourself. The drawback just cuts down on your talent expenditure.

Milo v3
2017-02-09, 11:40 PM
Well, technically you don't need the drawback. You could just take TK sphere and the Flight talent, then never use the abilities on anyone but yourself. The drawback just cuts down on your talent expenditure.

Except then I end up with a character who is going out of his way to be an idiot in having abilities he never uses.

Vhaidara
2017-02-09, 11:57 PM
Except then I end up with a character who is going out of his way to be an idiot in having abilities he never uses.

If he never uses it, how does he know he has it? A restriction imposed OoC can mean the ability doesn't exist IC.

Milo v3
2017-02-10, 12:05 AM
If he never uses it, how does he know he has it? A restriction imposed OoC can mean the ability doesn't exist IC.

A monk who spends all his time mastering his body and mind and trying to take them to their limits would probably realise if he has not only gained telekinetic ability, but had gained an advanced form of telekinetic ability.

legomaster00156
2017-02-10, 12:35 AM
What do you guys think of this boon?

Magical Wellspring
In a one week ritual, you may attune yourself to an immobile object or area measuring no larger than 10'x10'. This could be a shrine, an altar, a geyser, the entrance to a home, etc. You may have no more attuned locations than your casting modifier (minimum 1). If you go over this limit, or your casting stat is permanently reduced (via ability drain or removing a permanent boost to the stat), your connection with locations is broken until you are within your limit (you choose which connections are severed).
While within 100' of your attuned location, you gain +1 caster level. While within 10' of your attuned location, you gain +2 to your caster level.

EldritchWeaver
2017-02-10, 04:59 AM
A monk who spends all his time mastering his body and mind and trying to take them to their limits would probably realise if he has not only gained telekinetic ability, but had gained an advanced form of telekinetic ability.

That's assuming that the monk has access to that ability in the first place. Even if he technically has, you can still override this, as mentioned before. Or trade the unused parts out for stuff you use. Shouldn't be that difficult to convince your GM.

What do you guys think of this boon?

Magical Wellspring
In a one week ritual, you may attune yourself to an immobile object or area measuring no larger than 10'x10'. This could be a shrine, an altar, a geyser, the entrance to a home, etc. You may have no more attuned locations than your casting modifier (minimum 1). If you go over this limit, or your casting stat is permanently reduced (via ability drain or removing a permanent boost to the stat), your connection with locations is broken until you are within your limit (you choose which connections are severed).
While within 100' of your attuned location, you gain +1 caster level. While within 10' of your attuned location, you gain +2 to your caster level.

I'm torn on this. On the one hand, this looks more as a NPC thing, as PCs travel around. On the other hand, +2 CL to all spheres is very strong, nothing grants such a bonus for SoP (Magical Knack is disallowed). Effectively, it is both too useful as well too useless, unless you have a mean to access it from a far (like that travel acorn from 3.5). I would change things a bit, namely that it only grants +1 CL to one sphere, you can't get attuned to one sphere more than once, the locations are restricted to GM-defined places of power and otherwise no range limitation (or at most on this plane).

Milo v3
2017-02-10, 05:09 AM
That's assuming that the monk has access to that ability in the first place. Even if he technically has, you can still override this, as mentioned before. Or trade the unused parts out for stuff you use. Shouldn't be that difficult to convince your GM.
Nah, no houserules are allowed in the current situation (making a 15th level monk with every class in my setting), so I was hoping for there to have been something in the text that I missed (like error I made with elementalist).

Ualaa
2017-02-10, 10:50 AM
Another Question, In the death sphere, does the basic exhausting strike (first ghost strike you learn) applying the automatic 1 round fatigue even upon a successful save always happen, or only if you spent your spell point to buff the spell to exhausted. (sorry for weird syntax)

Also in the death sphere, when it says multiple ghost strikes don't stack, lets say you cast exhausting strike on a target to fatigue them (no spell point) then next turn cast it again with a spell point for exhaustion, does this stack? This is mainly relevant for the purposes of The Killing Curse talent

A 65
My reading would be that the free version causes fatigue (for a round per Caster Level), but that can be negated with a Fortitude Save.

The spell point version causes exhaustion (for a minute per Caster Level), but that can be reduced to one round of fatigue, with a successful Fortitude Save.

There would not be a round of automatic fatigue on the non-spell point version.

Regarding: Ghost Strike effects do not stack with themselves.

I'm reading this as the effect does not stack with itself -- not that it cannot be reapplied.

So if two apprentice necromancers of the same caster level (let's say CL 5) both hit you with an exhausting strike (no spell points invested in the strike) in the same combat round, and you fail the save both times, the duration is five rounds not ten rounds.
If the master (CL 15) then hit you with the same strike, the duration would be 15 rounds from the time of their successful strike (and your failed save).
Basically, you're getting the worse duration but not a stacking duration.

It's also worth noting, normally if you're fatigued and are hit with another effect that causes fatigue, the result is exhaustion.
But Ghost Strike specifically doesn't stack with itself, so a new fatigue causing Ghost Strike would not worsen an already fatigued target to an exhausted state.

As far as penalties go, exhaustion is worse than fatigue so if you were both exhausted and fatigued from different sources (or both a non-spell point version and a spell point version of Exhausting Strike), I'd only apply the penalties of exhaustion to the target.

For Killing Strike, it's not going to matter which ghost strikes landed, as long as three have had their saving throws failed, within a fixed one minute (10 combat rounds) time period.

Ualaa
2017-02-10, 10:58 AM
Q67: What kind of attack is Bludgeon from the Telekinesis sphere? Melee or ranged?

You could semantically argue it is both, as it is taking place at 'range' from you, but as far as game mechanics go I would call it a melee attack.

You're striking a target with a (telekinetically) wielded object, not firing a projectile from a ranged weapon or throwing a spear etc.

You're using your BAB + Casting Modifier, not STR/DEX mod to that attack roll.
So the distinction between melee or ranged doesn't make a huge difference here.

legomaster00156
2017-02-10, 12:35 PM
I'm torn on this. On the one hand, this looks more as a NPC thing, as PCs travel around. On the other hand, +2 CL to all spheres is very strong, nothing grants such a bonus for SoP (Magical Knack is disallowed). Effectively, it is both too useful as well too useless, unless you have a mean to access it from a far (like that travel acorn from 3.5). I would change things a bit, namely that it only grants +1 CL to one sphere, you can't get attuned to one sphere more than once, the locations are restricted to GM-defined places of power and otherwise no range limitation (or at most on this plane).
As a matter of fact, there is something like it. I based the balance of this boon on the balance of the Deathful Magic and Empowered Abilities boons. The idea is indeed to mainly help with the NPC "shrine guardian" archetype, though I can see a particular font of power needing GM approval.

Kentama
2017-02-10, 01:54 PM
A 65

For Killing Strike, it's not going to matter which ghost strikes landed, as long as three have had their saving throws failed, within a fixed one minute (10 combat rounds) time period.

Great thanks! That's mostly what I was curious about, if it was possible to effectively utilize killing curse without spending any other talents in the sphere, and it seems like you can, as long as you can consistently beat the fort save. :)

I'm considering a thaumaturge with death and warp

A.J.Gibson
2017-02-10, 11:22 PM
Q69 If I have the Life sphere and the Brew Potion feat, can I make a Life potion that uses talents I don't have other than the base sphere the same way I can use spell completion items using only the base sphere?

digiman619
2017-02-10, 11:41 PM
A player in my game is rolling a Shabti (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/more-races/advanced-races-11-20-rp/shabti), and I ruled that, in exchange for his suggestion SLA, he could take the Mind sphere with a custom drawback that limited him to humanoids (Shabti are outsiders). Did I make a good swap?

A.J.Gibson
2017-02-10, 11:55 PM
A player in my game is rolling a Shabti (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/more-races/advanced-races-11-20-rp/shabti), and I ruled that, in exchange for his suggestion SLA, he could take the Mind sphere with a custom drawback that limited him to humanoids (Shabti are outsiders). Did I make a good swap?

I would say that's fair. Animal Mind limits you to animals and vermin, so limiting you to one group (albeit a much larger one) doesn't seem unreasonable.

TheMadPhoenix
2017-02-11, 08:38 PM
Both of my questions concern comparing the Hedgewitch with a standard class with the Sphere Casting archetype

Q70 A Hedgewitch with the covenant secret gains an aura and included in that aura is the ability to detect opposite alignment without taking the divine sphere. Shouldn't the Cleric/Warpriest/whatever other class that gains an aura gain the same benefit?

Q71 The Hedgewitch with the combat secret gains an arcane pool to do typical Magus things with (enchant his weapon being the biggest one). However, the Magus archetype replaces the arcane pool with the spool pool for doing Magus things. Shouldn't they work the same? Either the Magus should continue to get the arcane pool for enchanting his weapon like the Hedgewitch, or the Hedgewitch should have to use their spell pool to enchant their weapon like the Magus. Or am I missing something simple here?

BTW, Hedgewitch is absolutely my favorite sphere class. It's so incredibly versatile.

TheMadPhoenix
2017-02-11, 09:15 PM
Q72 Was it a conscious decision to make the Sphere Casting Magus incompatible with all other archetypes? I'd love to combine Sphere Casting with say a Bladebound Magus but they aren't compatible because they both modify the arcane pool.

Now, I grant it may just be Hero Lab being very literal and if the intent was not to make Sphere Casting incompatible with all other archetypes, I'll file a request with the maintainer of Hero Lab to make the modifications. But, to me it seems better to make the Magus work like the Combat Secret Hedgewitch and just give them their Arcane Pool back since really the only thing they'll be using it for is enhancing their weapon.

Adam Meyers
2017-02-11, 11:45 PM
I apologize for how long it's been since I've come here. I have a new daughter who only seems to sleep when strapped to my chest, and between that and trying to find time for all of my various gaming projects, I'm sorry that visiting this thread has been the thing that's fallen through the cracks.

Q 34 Is it possible to have magic items with metamagic feats built into their effects?

All magic item creation rules, both in SoP and core, are suggestions only; magic can do whatever you want, the only question is how much it costs. Personally I'd rule it increases the complexity by an amount equal to the level increase of the feat, but others can disagree with me if they have a better formulae.

The cantrip feat was designed to cover all of that, but if you identify things it doesn't do that orisons do and want to make a separate feat, that sounds good.

Q41 If I was to make a wondrous item item based on the extradimensional storage talent, would the uses per day indicate times per day that I can draw from it or place things in? If so, how would I make it so that I could have a continuous, at will, extradimensional storage.

permanent items are made with the Craft Rod feat in SoP; otherwise, I think the core item rules are once it reaches 5 uses per day it's pretty much treated as permanent.

Spheres of Power has been evolving over time as we see it play out across hundreds of tables and collect their feedback. The interpretation you have been given is correct, but you are right about it being nicer the other way, and therefore that just might change for the future.

Edit: Answer you've been giving referring to 'you would have to pay for each sphere individually, meaning a +5 destruction/creation staff is a +10 overall for pricing purposes.

Q47 The Dual Channeler "counts as worshipping any deity and possessing any alignment when meeting the prerequisites for channeling feats."

Unless the GM has one that specifically only applies to a certian deity, then yes, you can take any variant channeling.

Q54: The Thaumaturge can use two archetypes simultaneously, the Devourer archetype and the Pact Mage Archetype.

From the Devourer:
"Whenever the devourer scores a confirmed critical hit against a living enemy or reduces a living enemy to 0 or fewer hit points, he can steal some of that creature’s energy. The devourer may use his forbidden lore the next round without any fear of backlash."

From the Pact Mage (Infernal Pact):
"Dark Lore: At 14th level, when using forbidden lore, you may use an invocation to increase your forbidden lore bonus by +4 and negate the need to roll for failure. However, after completing your action, you automatically suffer backlash penalty."

Can these two be used together? If so, do you suffer backlash penalty?

I would argue no; the first ability removes the chance of a backlash, but the second ability is automatic backlash, no chance involved.

@Sky: Jedi Archetype That sounds doable, but I would need to test before I could give it a full endorsement, so let me know how it goes!

@Scowling Dragon

Alright, I find myself in kinda a bind.

One of my players wants to play a "Plantomancer" a character that sculpts plants and uses them to create magic tech and such.

The problem for me is where this intersects between Living (Alteration Sphere), Object (Creation Sphere) or Plant (Nature Sphere).

Does he use animate object to replicate this? When they are animated do they heal with heal? Or mend?

Its all very confusing.

That is a matter entirely of how the player wants to accomplish it. You can animate plants as animated objects with Enhancement. However, the concept sounds more like an armorist, possibly the Symbiotic Knight archetype if she wants to have one plant that grows to form her equipment for her.

Q55: The alchemist discovery "Hedgewitch Secret" states "The alchemist may gain a hedgewitch secret, having an effective hedgewitch level equal to its alchemist level. The alchemist must have sphere casting capability in order to select this discovery. You may select this alchemist discovery multiple times, each time selecting a different hedgewitch secret."

The rogue talent version states "A rogue with this talent may gain a hedgewitch non-tradition secret, having an effective hedgewitch level equal to its rogue level. You may select this rogue talent multiple times, each time selecting a different hedgewitch secret. A rogue must be able to use sphere talents and abilities to select this talent."

Does this distinction mean that, for example, a Rogue with casting could not take Priestly Initiate followed by Extra Healing, but that an Alchemist could?

Technically yes, that is what that means. I'd have to ask the author about intent, but personally I have no problem if you were to make those the same across the board, though.

@Warriorking9001:

I was curious as to whether you could take bound equipment twice for the same item... Let me explain what I mean.

Let's say I have a level 10 human armorist looking to take a staff as his next bound item.

Could he instead use the bound item slot to gain the benefits of the staff with his longsword?

No; you could't bind the same weapon twice as both things. That being said, double weapons are a thing already, so I don't think you'd be breaking the world if you houseruled you could enchant the weapon and a gem in its hilt as a staff or something. I would argue though that summoning it should take twice as long, and I would have the GM keep an eye on it, so the minute a player starts arguing 'why can't I enchant armor twice as well?', he can stop it from getting out of hand.

Question 57A and B

Create Creature uses 2 spell points to make a body for 1 hour per level (it should have lingering creation as a prerequisite, sorry about that mistake), then adds the animate object enhancement in as well, which is worth 2 complexity, increasing the total cost to 3 sp and the casting time to a full-round action. The other spells follow a similar pattern.

Ranged as base, unless you have the talent to make it count as a melee attack.

Q68: If you use Alteration upon an incorporeal target, is it still incorporeal, or corporeal? As alteration states: "The target loses any extraordinary or supernatural abilities, natural attacks, and movement types dependent on their original form (darkvision, scent, wings, claws, etc.) and gains the listed benefits in their place." and Incorporeal under Universal Monster Rules is listed as an (Ex) Defensive Ability.

That's one of those problems that always crops up when you try to make auniversal rule, like we did with Alteration. Technically you might be right there, but that was not the intention. incorporeal is an exception to most rules, and I would apply that exception here as well.

@Milo v3: As for the telekinesis question, one of the points of SoP is to make it as easy as possible to alter to fit your needs; if you want a telekinesis drawback that isn't in the book, you can write it yourself with the most minimal of time investments. I see no reason the drawback presented wouldn't work.

@legomaster00156: It needs a time limit for how long it takes to attune to a location, as well as the ability drop a location. Also needs a line specifying that this bonus doesn't stack when you're near two locations.

The problem is that it might end up too easy to game; depending on how long it takes to bind/drop, you could just leave a location open to bind wherever you are when you need to cast.

If you can fix it, though, I think it could work as a concept. It would depend on those details as mentioned above, though.

Q69 If I have the Life sphere and the Brew Potion feat, can I make a Life potion that uses talents I don't have other than the base sphere the same way I can use spell completion items using only the base sphere?

Technically no according to core; scrolls and potions are the exception to the usual rule that you can add talents you don't have. That, however, has always struck me as a dumb distinction; I certainly won't complain if you rule otherwise.

@digiman619: the Mind sphere only affects your creature type at default, so no such drawback is needed; unless he takes the talent for expanding targets, outsiders would be his only valid target in the beginning.

Q70 A Hedgewitch with the covenant secret gains an aura and included in that aura is the ability to detect opposite alignment without taking the divine sphere. Shouldn't the Cleric/Warpriest/whatever other class that gains an aura gain the same benefit?

The ability to sense alignments is not part of the aura, but a combination of having an aura and the paladin's ability to sense evil, expanded to include all opposed alignments.

Q71 The Hedgewitch with the combat secret gains an arcane pool to do typical Magus things with (enchant his weapon being the biggest one). However, the Magus archetype replaces the arcane pool with the spool pool for doing Magus things. Shouldn't they work the same? Either the Magus should continue to get the arcane pool for enchanting his weapon like the Hedgewitch, or the Hedgewitch should have to use their spell pool to enchant their weapon like the Magus. Or am I missing something simple here?

Almost every power the magus possesses is a method to spend arcane points to regain spells; it seemed superfluous to divide the arcane pool and the spell pool, when almost every magus power would be about making one count as the other anyway.

Q72 Was it a conscious decision to make the Sphere Casting Magus incompatible with all other archetypes? I'd love to combine Sphere Casting with say a Bladebound Magus but they aren't compatible because they both modify the arcane pool.

That was not the intention, no, just a side effect of our efforts to make a sphere magus make sense (see the answer above). I know that technically that means the magus can't use archetypes and we might errata the archetype when we have the time to come up with something better, but I have no problem adjusting archetypes to work with the sphere magus.

Milo v3
2017-02-12, 12:05 AM
@Milo v3: As for the telekinesis question, one of the points of SoP is to make it as easy as possible to alter to fit your needs; if you want a telekinesis drawback that isn't in the book, you can write it yourself with the most minimal of time investments. I see no reason the drawback presented wouldn't work.
Yeah it's a very mutable system, it's just a matter of my current situation not allowing for homebrew (making a 15th level "monk" with every class available in my campaign and having them all fight), which is why I needed to check to make sure I wasn't misreading some text somewhere. Were it a "normal" situation, I'm sure it'd be resolved within 15 seconds.

Doc_Maynot
2017-02-12, 12:15 AM

That's one of those problems that always crops up when you try to make auniversal rule, like we did with Alteration. Technically you might be right there, but that was not the intention. incorporeal is an exception to most rules, and I would apply that exception here as well.

Q68 Addendum: Then is there any plans for anything in the Spheres system to be able to make incorporeal things corporeal? Because while a 15th level caster can make someone incorporeal, as far as I can see, the reverse is impossible. That is, unless the creature is incorporeal due to being in the Etherial plane or something similar, warping there, and then trying to warp them back to the material plane.

TheMadPhoenix
2017-02-12, 12:19 AM

The cantrip feat was designed to cover all of that, but if you identify things it doesn't do that orisons do and want to make a separate feat, that sounds good.

The ability to sense alignments is not part of the aura, but a combination of having an aura and the paladin's ability to sense evil, expanded to include all opposed alignments.

Almost every power the magus possesses is a method to spend arcane points to regain spells; it seemed superfluous to divide the arcane pool and the spell pool, when almost every magus power would be about making one count as the other anyway.

That was not the intention, no, just a side effect of our efforts to make a sphere magus make sense (see the answer above). I know that technically that means the magus can't use archetypes and we might errata the archetype when we have the time to come up with something better, but I have no problem adjusting archetypes to work with the sphere magus.

On the Cantrip/Orison it's really a matter of what a divine caster focuses on vs what an arcane caster focuses on. Yes, there is some crossover, but, for example, a Cleric has Stabilize, Create water, Purify Food and Drink, Guidance, Vigor, and Virtue.

On the Arcane Pool for the Magus: Why give the Combat Secret Hedgewitch an Arcane Pool then? Shouldn't the same argument apply? And the Arcanist keeps his Arcane Reservoir that serves a similar function to the Magus' Arcane Pool. Wouldn't it be similar to the Eldritch Scion which removes Spell Recall, and Improved Spell Recall, and Knowledge Pool?

Thanks for designing this. I really do love the system.

Aoleleb
2017-02-12, 10:00 AM
Can a creature belong to more than one Squadron at a time?

khadgar567
2017-02-12, 10:22 AM
Q/C69 can you explain a little mate.

A.J.Gibson
2017-02-12, 10:31 AM

Yes, they can.

Warriorking9001
2017-02-14, 05:10 PM
No; you could't bind the same weapon twice as both things. That being said, double weapons are a thing already, so I don't think you'd be breaking the world if you houseruled you could enchant the weapon and a gem in its hilt as a staff or something. I would argue though that summoning it should take twice as long, and I would have the GM keep an eye on it, so the minute a player starts arguing 'why can't I enchant armor twice as well?', he can stop it from getting out of hand.

True, I guess I understand how it could get out of hand with the ability to enchant a lot multiple times. and I can understand potential balance issues (If you can summon your bound equipment and give it staff properties, no one would actually make a staff summon and would just enchant their weapons), and if/when I GM a game I'll certainly keep a careful eye out for someone trying to abuse it (but players I'd run with would probably be somewhat new anyway and not munchkin-y enough to REALLY try to abuse it)

The actual character concept I specifically had for this idea was a tiefling armorist summoning weapons from his demonic forbears and loved the fluff idea of his primary weapon also containing power that would allow him to become more effective at throwing fire around through the pit fiend's blade.

I also have another balance question though in the form of a homebrew question. I understand if this isn't the place though.

I had this idea for an arsenal trick but don't know if it could potentially be completely broken (and don't have the experience of how to really test it)

Armorist’s Gun: You gain Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Firearms)

Infinite Marksman: (Prerequisite: 15th level): Any ranged weapon with a reload time that you summon (Or on a less powerful version, your Bound weapons) gains the boon of the Pistol of the Infinite Skies (Ultimate Combat).

I'm not sure if this is overpowered or okay... (Though I'll say the logic behind it that pretty much every character specializing in firearms is going to buy the PotIS or some equivalent to this by the time they can afford it, hence it's not 'that' bad to allow an armorist PC to summon this item)

EldritchWeaver
2017-02-14, 05:52 PM

That's part of the War HB.

A.J.Gibson
2017-02-14, 05:55 PM

I assume he's referred to the Squadron Commander feat from the War handbook.

khadgar567
2017-02-14, 11:11 PM
I assume he's referred to the Squadron Commander feat from the War handbook.
I asked the question to post previous to mine

A.J.Gibson
2017-02-15, 12:21 AM
I asked the question to post previous to mine

You quoted the Squadron question. Though you did mention question 69, which was mine, so I'll elaborate:

In PF, you can use a spell completion item, such as a wand or scroll, if you have the spell on your class list. In SoP, you can use it if you have the base sphere that would logically have the ability (i.e., if you have the Life sphere, you can use a Wand of Cure Light Wounds). In PF, if you want to create a magic item that requires a certain spell to create the item, you must have it on your spell list or you raise the DC by +5. For potions and scrolls, however, you must be able to cast the spell (this is mostly to stop wizards from creating scrolls of spells they don't have, and then turning around and copying the spell back into their spell book). My question was: do you need every talent required when you create an item, or can you do the +5 DC thing. Adam's response implies that you do need every talent for a potion or scroll, but it's kind of silly.

I think.

The reason I bring it up is because of the more obscure conditions that a Life caster might want to cure but not have the feat for the biggy being permanent blindness which is crippling, but rare in the game, making spending a feat to get Restore Senses annoying. However, if you can create a potion or scroll using only the base talent, then any Life caster with Brew Potion can cure blindness from level 1, given 2 hours and 100gp.

Doc_Maynot
2017-02-15, 12:29 AM
I had this idea for an arsenal trick but don't know if it could potentially be completely broken (and don't have the experience of how to really test it)

Armorist’s Gun: You gain Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Firearms)

Infinite Marksman: (Prerequisite: 15th level): Any ranged weapon with a reload time that you summon (Or on a less powerful version, your Bound weapons) gains the boon of the Pistol of the Infinite Skies (Ultimate Combat).

I'm not sure if this is overpowered or okay... (Though I'll say the logic behind it that pretty much every character specializing in firearms is going to buy the PotIS or some equivalent to this by the time they can afford it, hence it's not 'that' bad to allow an armorist PC to summon this item)

Well, given the stuff in Spheres of Might, Armorist using the tricks to take combat feats, can use those to gain extra combat talents. Which include things like "You have proficiency with firearms." And "Reduce the time required to reload a ranged weapon by two steps, you can take this multiple times." and seeing as Bound Equipment come with limitless ammunition already. You can pull that off way earlier than 15th level.

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-02-15, 03:36 AM
Q73: Out of the metamagic feats to have been released after SoP, the one that's piqued my curiosity most is Eclipsed Spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/eclipsed-spell-metamagic/). Would you allow this to be used with Spheres, and if so what effect would it have on the Light/Dark spheres?

Warriorking9001
2017-02-15, 10:06 AM
Well, given the stuff in Spheres of Might, Armorist using the tricks to take combat feats, can use those to gain extra combat talents. Which include things like "You have proficiency with firearms." And "Reduce the time required to reload a ranged weapon by two steps, you can take this multiple times." and seeing as Bound Equipment come with limitless ammunition already. You can pull that off way earlier than 15th level.

Well....... Honestly I haven't seen anything in spheres of might so far, I didn't even know any of it was public yet. But that tells me that a "Pistol of the infinite skies" upgrade is NOT ridiculously overpowered.

Scowling Dragon
2017-02-15, 11:57 AM
Q74: How long would a spellcrafted Golem Last on a "Grow Plant" Basis.

So if I used the Nature Spheres: Grow Plant, and then Used Animate Object combined with it? How long would the duration be (Considering grow Plants seems to be instantenous and permanent in duration).

Slavezero
2017-02-16, 08:25 AM
Q75: is there any way you know of to apply enhancement bonus's to the telekinetic force created by the Weaponize talent? the extra attack and damage would be useful

Ualaa
2017-02-16, 08:43 AM
A 75.

Spheres includes a feat called Spellcrafting.
There is a section which explains it, and then a bunch of examples.

You're basically combining spheres and talents which you know, to create more complex effects.
The combination has a complexity scale, but you can take some drawbacks in the system to reduce the complexity too.

The more complex something is, the longer it takes to cast and the more spell points it will cost to do so.

The section mentions it is more of an art than a science, so you need to use your judgment the same as when you create a paizo spell or magic item.
Still, with the number of examples given, you have an idea of what the developers consider reasonable to base your estimate on.

Ualaa
2017-02-16, 08:51 AM
A 73.

That's an interesting feat.
Basically, it gives you the option of making a light generating AoE spell or a darkness AoE spell of doing the opposite of it's normal effect.
Without increasing the spell level.

The guideline for Spheres, is to cost a spell point per level increase in the paizo system.
And that feat has no level increase.

The effect of the chosen Light (or Darkness) Sphere and Talents doesn't change, only the illumination level is different -- the opposite of what it would be.
So you're not gaining Light Sphere or Light Talents, if your character happened to be built around Darkness.
The gain is that you can illuminate an area, instead of making it dark, but with the same options you normally possessed for Darkness.
Or vice versa.

I'd likely go with +1 spell point per use.

Warriorking9001
2017-02-16, 12:49 PM
question 1:
Another issue I had is that I made a class concept and then realized that... well at first I thought it was okay before realizing that to some extent it was an amalgam of pretty much all the other good class abilities.

The concept was a warrior who gained abilities through connections with a dragon.

Draconic focus was a slightly more limited version of the elementalist's weave energy ability (Full casting with Destruction when using a small subset of blasts based on your bond dragon's element, though in my defense I thought that was a better plan than just giving them a breath weapon)

Draconic Bond was essentially bound creature in that you gained a draconic mount

my rogue talent equivalent power called "Draconic Traits", a number of them were close to the Shifter's permanent bonus abilities, being able to gain natural weapons, low light vision, Blindsight, scent, etc.

Call steed was ripped completely from the Summoner (Obviously the pet class could summon their partners to their side)

Energy Resistance was the same as elemental defense from elementalist...

I still like the idea of this 'dragon knight' class, gaining abilities from a bond or bloodline, but want to figure out a way to bring it back from being an amalgamation of all the other cool stuff in spheres...

Any advice for how I'd make a class/archetype to fit this concept?

question 2:
Is there anywhere on giant where people are discussing Spheres of Might? now that I've gotten into it I want to learn a bit more.

Mehangel
2017-02-16, 01:12 PM
Q76:
Another issue I had is that I made a class concept and then realized that... well at first I thought it was okay before realizing that to some extent it was an amalgam of pretty much all the other good class abilities.

The concept was a warrior who gained abilities through connections with a dragon.

Draconic focus was a slightly more limited version of the elementalist's weave energy ability (Full casting with Destruction when using a small subset of blasts based on your bond dragon's element, though in my defense I thought that was a better plan than just giving them a breath weapon)

Draconic Bond was essentially bound creature in that you gained a draconic mount

my rogue talent equivalent power called "Draconic Traits", a number of them were close to the Shifter's permanent bonus abilities, being able to gain natural weapons, low light vision, Blindsight, scent, etc.

Call steed was ripped completely from the Summoner (Obviously the pet class could summon their partners to their side)

Energy Resistance was the same as elemental defense from elementalist...

I still like the idea of this 'dragon knight' class, gaining abilities from a bond or bloodline, but want to figure out a way to bring it back from being an amalgamation of all the other cool stuff in spheres...

Any advice for how I'd make a class/archetype to fit this concept?

A76: I think that you might be fine with Elementalist with a casting tradition including the Bound Creature (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/casting-traditions#toc134) boon (from Player's Guide to Skybourne).

Q77:
Is there anywhere on giant where people are discussing Spheres of Might? now that I've gotten into it I want to learn a bit more.

A77: There is a discussion of Spheres of Might here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?511086-Drop-Dead-Studios-Spheres-of-Combat-Kickstarter!).

Warriorking9001
2017-02-16, 02:47 PM
A76: I think that you might be fine with Elementalist with a casting tradition including the Bound Creature boon (from Player's Guide to Skybourne).

Yeah, I knew that would probably be the primary choice... I guess I'm just being picky in that I still see this idea of a character gaining these permanent traits related to that draconic character, and I can tell that came from the other dragon rider based class I saw, being able to gain natural weapons, blindsight, scent, etc.

mrguymiah
2017-02-16, 08:12 PM
Q75: is there any way you know of to apply enhancement bonus's to the telekinetic force created by the Weaponize talent? the extra attack and damage would be useful

There's a feat called Enhancing Telekinesis. It's a bit of a weird itneraction, considering the weapon is made of your telekinetic force, but it's still an "object" you're lifting with your telekinesis.

Slavezero
2017-02-17, 02:54 AM
There's a feat called Enhancing Telekinesis. It's a bit of a weird itneraction, considering the weapon is made of your telekinetic force, but it's still an "object" you're lifting with your telekinesis.

that sounds cool and I'll take a look but i was thinking something more permanent like some way to add weapon enchantments to the Weaponize talent's attacks. like if you use Telekinesis to attack with an enchanted +1 flaming long sword you can add the +1 to attack and damage as well as the flaming damage but as far as i know there is no way to get that with Weaponize

EldritchWeaver
2017-02-17, 07:00 AM
A 73.

That's an interesting feat.
Basically, it gives you the option of making a light generating AoE spell or a darkness AoE spell of doing the opposite of it's normal effect.
Without increasing the spell level.

The guideline for Spheres, is to cost a spell point per level increase in the paizo system.
And that feat has no level increase.

The effect of the chosen Light (or Darkness) Sphere and Talents doesn't change, only the illumination level is different -- the opposite of what it would be.
So you're not gaining Light Sphere or Light Talents, if your character happened to be built around Darkness.
The gain is that you can illuminate an area, instead of making it dark, but with the same options you normally possessed for Darkness.
Or vice versa.

I'd likely go with +1 spell point per use.

Thinking about this a bit more, I'm not sure if this feat fits SoP. Light allows to change the illumination level upwards already, as does Dark downwards. So naively I'd say that one should choose both spheres to get the required effects. Now that disregards that one would like to use another effect from Light, while not increasing the illumination level. Then Black Light (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/light#toc7), which turns normal light invisible, but still allows for (light) talents might be the best fit.

Ualaa
2017-02-17, 08:36 AM
Not every metamagic from the default game necessarily fits well with a spheres.

I'd personally rather have Light makes things brighter (or leaves them the same), and has whatever additional effects the combination of talents taken can do.
And that Dark can make things dimmer/darker (or leave them the same), and has whatever additional effects the chosen talents allow for.

So, in my game, I wouldn't necessarily want that feat to be part of it.

But if someone liked the feat and wanted to use it in their game.
Or if one of their player's wanted to have it and they were on the fence...
Light, at +1 SP, could have it's regular effects such as purging invisibility or coating an enemy in lights (like a Faerie Fire spell), but would make things dimmer.
Even if things got darker, the Light sphere would not block darkvision or require a Clearsight to bypass/see through the secondary effects of the darkness.

I'd personally not include it (as I'd rather have two separate Spheres, each governing illumination changes in an opposite direction).
But if it were included, since it isn't doing anything aside from reversing the illumination, while doing exactly what it would have done without the feat and illumination reversal, it is more a 'cool' effect than a 'powerful' effect.
So +1 SP would be where I would set it's cost.

Slavezero
2017-02-19, 05:51 AM
Q76 is it possible to get a possible ETA on the other spheres books? really would like to know when the rest of the awesome collection is coming out

Mehangel
2017-02-19, 10:25 AM
Q78 is it possible to get a possible ETA on the other spheres books? really would like to know when the rest of the awesome collection is coming out

A78 Unfortunately, making an ETA for ALL the rest of the handbooks is impossible. I know that the Dark sphere handbook is planned to be released this month, but after that we have SEVERAL of handbooks in playtesting, and even more about ready to enter playtesting. What is holding us back is that each of these playtest documents needs adequate time to be not only playtested, but also to be reviewed and edited. Adam Meyers has said though that he aims to have the rest of the handbooks published by the end of this year.

A.J.Gibson
2017-02-19, 11:05 AM
A78 Unfortunately, making an ETA for ALL the rest of the handbooks is impossible. I know that the Dark sphere handbook is planned to be released this month, but after that we have SEVERAL of handbooks in playtesting, and even more about ready to enter playtesting. What is holding us back is that each of these playtest documents needs adequate time to be not only playtested, but also to be reviewed and edited. Adam Meyers has said though that he aims to have the rest of the handbooks published by the end of this year.

Nitpick: Even publishing one book a month won't get them all out by years end - if Dark comes out in next few days, there will be 10 months and 11 books left.

Manyasone
2017-02-19, 11:20 AM
Nitpick: Even publishing one book a month won't get them all out by years end - if Dark comes out in next few days, there will be 10 months and 11 books left.

Has an order of appearance been decided, actually? A friend of mine is whining about the Death one

khadgar567
2017-02-19, 11:27 AM
I like to know about conjuration to for eventual classed companion talent or some thing similar

stack
2017-02-19, 11:30 AM
I'm brushing conjuration up for playtest in between working on SoM.

There is a fair bit written of death, not sure on the author's timetable for going to playtest.

TheIronGolem
2017-02-19, 04:43 PM
Diviner's Handbook:

Q79: The Tradition Mastery ability for Font of Inspiration says it grants +2 to your CAM. Am I correct to assume that this is intended to be the actual ability score that determines CAM? If so, should the bonus be typed as Inherent like it is for the other Traditions that give an ability score bonus?

Q80: Should there be an "amateur" secret for the Inspiration tradition? I'm inferring that there should, since the wording of the Extra Inspiration Secret implies that it could be taken without the tradition, much like Extra Arcane Pool.

Mehangel
2017-02-19, 05:24 PM
Diviner's Handbook:

Q79: The Tradition Mastery ability for Font of Inspiration says it grants +2 to your CAM. Am I correct to assume that this is intended to be the actual ability score that determines CAM? If so, should the bonus be typed as Inherent like it is for the other Traditions that give an ability score bonus?

A79: First, the Tradition Mastery ability for Font of Inspiration was meant to be the 20th level capstone ability for the Font of Inspiration tradition (just in-case that was not clear). Second, Yes it was intended to give the bonus to the actual ability score that determines CAM. Third, the Tradition Mastery ability in question was untyped so that it could stack with the Tradition Mastery Ability of the Academia or Combat tradition (Inherent bonuses normally do not stack).

Q80: Should there be an "amateur" secret for the Inspiration tradition? I'm inferring that there should, since the wording of the Extra Inspiration Secret implies that it could be taken without the tradition, much like Extra Arcane Pool.

A80: Yes, there should be an 'Amateur' secret for the Inspiration tradition.

Hazrond
2017-02-20, 08:25 PM
Q81: I was informed by the Wiki that there is a Spheres Alchemist? I have Expanded Options but they aren't in there so which book are they located in?

Mithril Leaf
2017-02-20, 08:53 PM
Q81: I was informed by the Wiki that there is a Spheres Alchemist? I have Expanded Options but they aren't in there so which book are they located in?

A81: Last I checked Nature and War.

A.J.Gibson
2017-02-20, 09:57 PM

The Nature handbook features the Archaic Alchemist, which is basically a Spheres Alchemist. The War handbook features the Combat Engineer, an archetype that trades out poison, alchemy, and mutagen abilities for the ability to use their bombs to plant area-of-effect sphere abilities (primarily totems, but they can do a few other spheres with the proper discoveries). The Life handbook (entering playtest soon?) will have another alchemist archetype focused on healing via healing potions.

Scowling Dragon
2017-02-22, 11:09 AM
Q82: What would you say would be fair as a requirement for applying polymorph effects on things that usually can't be effected by them?

There are rules for targeting things that are usually immune to mind effects, so would it be fair to create something that does something similar too Polymorph effects?

Warriorking9001
2017-02-22, 11:20 AM
And yet another thing hit me as a concept but once again am worried about balance (and stepping on other class's toes)

What if there was an object equivalent for Bound creature to have a Black blade equivalent for casters, gaining a Limited scaled bonus to CL (Like a staff) and being able to enhance it as an item of its type?

Mehangel
2017-02-22, 11:39 AM
Q82: What would you say would be fair as a requirement for applying polymorph effects on things that usually can't be effected by them?

There are rules for targeting things that are usually immune to mind effects, so would it be fair to create something that does something similar too Polymorph effects?

A82: I would probably refer to the Shapeshifter's Handbook.

What is harmless?
When cast on a willing target, consider shapeshift to be harmless. As a harmless effect, creatures normally immune to polymorph effects, such as undead and constructs, may still benefit from it without further talents or abilities required.

Scowling Dragon
2017-02-22, 12:15 PM
A82: I would probably refer to the Shapeshifter's Handbook.

Saints be praised!

Slavezero
2017-02-22, 12:40 PM
Q83 what is the point for a blaster armorist to take Variable Barrel Geometry over Charged Shot? since it looks like Variable Barrel Geometry does nothing you can't do with Charged Shot while still having a move action

Q84 can the normal armorist create different types of ammo like alchemical cartridges or barbed arrows for the bound/summoned equipment? and if you have Improved/Greater Materials can you choose which type of material your ammo is made of at will for your bound weapon?

stack
2017-02-22, 01:12 PM
A83: The difference is the action cost. Looking back, they probably should have been combined into one talent.

Grimm2769
2017-02-22, 03:31 PM
So I feel pretty bad about this but can someone point me to a guide or where I can find detailed info on the omnimental for building one as a familiar from the Incanter specialization? It's been so long since I worked with such things that I can't remember how to build one at all or where to find the creature's base progression.

Mehangel
2017-02-22, 03:52 PM
Q85 So I feel pretty bad about this but can someone point me to a guide or where I can find detailed info on the omnimental for building one as a familiar from the Incanter specialization? It's been so long since I worked with such things that I can't remember how to build one at all or where to find the creature's base progression.

A85 Destroyer's Handbook, pg 28 has rules on Omnimental Familiar specialization; Destroyer's Handbook, pg 33 has the stat-block for a small omnimental.

Grimm2769
2017-02-22, 04:08 PM
Reply a85 Thanks a bunch man. Spotted it through the wiki and don't have the Destroyer book. Gonna have to grab it so I can try it out cause omnimentals look friggin' awesome.

Warriorking9001
2017-02-22, 05:11 PM
I'm sorry for kind of mentioning the same thing twice, but I thought put it as a bit more of a formal question

Is there any way to get a specific important item as a focus that is particularly powerful compared to other items?...

I admit that this is very similar to the last question of using bound item slots to gain stave abilities as weapons, but this is more related to the Black Blade.

though I'll also put my first concept of such as a boon

Prerequisite: Focus casting

You gain greater use of your focus, using it to channel power in ways that other mages can only dream of.

when holding your focus, you slowly gain greater casting power, and gain +1 enhancement bonus to CL for every 4 levels you have as though it were a staff and may further enchant it to gain abilities (Up to the standard maximum) as though you had the Craft Staff feat.

If it could be enchanted as something else (for example a Sword) you could also enchant it as itself.

Here is the split.

either as part of it or as as a 4 boon cost version you could also get it as an intelligent item as the Black Blade Magus's namesake.

Ryoungoragla
2017-02-22, 05:40 PM
Hi! This is my first time posting to these forums.

I have three questions about the destructive blade class feature.

First Question: How long do feats such as metamagic or the admixture feats last on a destructive blade? Destructive blade lasts CAM in rounds. Would, for example, the ghostly admixture feat with the drain talent allow the destructive blade to drain up to 1d3 levels and deal 10d6 damage per hit for CAM in rounds all for the cost of 2 spell points? Adding metamagic such as maximize would be even crazier.

Second Question: Does the greater blast destruction talent apply to the destructive blade?

Third Question: How does metamagic interact with the admixture feats? For example and tying in with the first question, if I mixed drain with a blast using the ghostly admixture feats, do I need to spend 3 extra spell points to maximize both the 1d3 drain and the 10d6 damage or 6 extra spell points (two applications for two effects)?

Thank you for your time. I think it's really cool how you do this Q & A with the community.

Mehangel
2017-02-22, 07:18 PM
Q86 Is there any way to get a specific important item as a focus that is particularly powerful compared to other items?...

I admit that this is very similar to the last question of using bound item slots to gain stave abilities as weapons, but this is more related to the Black Blade.

though I'll also put my first concept of such as a boon

A86 Besides the Galvanized (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/casting-traditions#toc42) and Focus Casting (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/casting-traditions#toc41) drawbacks, I dont think that there are any drawbacks/boons that do what you ask. Although there is nothing stopping you from having your focus be a scaling item (a magical staff in weapon form) that grants an enhancement bonus to your CL.

EldritchWeaver
2017-02-22, 07:37 PM
Please note that in this thread the questions are supposed to enumerated.

Hi! This is my first time posting to these forums.

I have three questions about the destructive blade class feature.

Q87: How long do feats such as metamagic or the admixture feats last on a destructive blade? Destructive blade lasts CAM in rounds. Would, for example, the ghostly admixture feat with the drain talent allow the destructive blade to drain up to 1d3 levels and deal 10d6 damage per hit for CAM in rounds all for the cost of 2 spell points? Adding metamagic such as maximize would be even crazier.

A87: Additional effects through feats or other things do not expire before the spell they are used on, as the effects are intrinsic parts of the spell. Your example doesn't specify the CL, the talents and feats used in detail, so I can't actually tell if it is correct or not.

Q88: Does the greater blast destruction talent apply to the destructive blade?

A88:
The destructive blade cannot be augmented by blast shape talents or have its damage increased to one die per caster level, but otherwise can be augmented like any other destructive blast.

RAW, the talent can be taken. Maybe stack overlooked it, because doing so feels going against RAI.

Q89: How does metamagic interact with the admixture feats? For example and tying in with the first question, if I mixed drain with a blast using the ghostly admixture feats, do I need to spend 3 extra spell points to maximize both the 1d3 drain and the 10d6 damage or 6 extra spell points (two applications for two effects)?

Thank you for your time. I think it's really cool how you do this Q & A with the community.

A89:
Benefit: All variable, numeric effects of a spell modified by this feat are maximized. Saving throws and opposed rolls are not affected, nor are spells without random variables.

According to RAW, all applicable effects are maximized in one go. No need to pay more than three SP.

Ryoungoragla
2017-02-22, 07:53 PM
Sorry about not numbering my questions, but thank you for answering my questions.

It doesn't matter now since the question has been answered, but I was using a level 20 doomblade as the level of the caster. So caster level 20 for the blast and caster level 10 for the drain since the admixture feats say "If your caster level is different for the two spheres, the destructive blast is governed by your caster level for the relevant blast type and the additional effect is governed by your caster level for the appropriate ability."

Grimm2769
2017-02-22, 11:20 PM
Apologies for forgetting to enumerate my previous question.

Q90 Is there an advancement bar hidden somewhere for omnimentals or do I base their advancement off of a standard elemental.

Q91 As a familiar it will never change in size from hd and it's hd will end up being equivalent to the caster's character level correct? It just gains usual familiar benefits, skill points, and feats from leveling or have I missed something by crit failing a perception here?

edited for spelling and some grammar

Sukebe
2017-02-22, 11:51 PM
Apologies for forgetting to enumerate my previous question.

Q90 Is there an advancement bar hidden somewhere for omnimentals or do I base their advancement off of a standard elemental.

Q91 As a familiar it will never change in size from hd and it's hd will end up being equivalent to the caster's character level correct? It just gains usual familiar benefits, skill points, and feats from leveling or have I missed something by crit failing a perception here?

edited for spelling and some grammar

A91: familiars do not gain skill points, feats or even HD as they never actually level (though their HD are considered higher than the base for effects only)

So just use the base omnimental shown and change its stats according to the normal familiar table (hp = half yours, saves used the better of your saves or its saves and it uses your skill if they are better than its own)

EldritchWeaver
2017-02-25, 06:13 AM
Q92: If I admixture Fire Blast with Shrapnel Blast, does the whole blast acquire the Shrapnel Blast secondary characteristics of ignoring SR and antimagic?

TheIronGolem
2017-02-26, 02:36 PM
Diviner's Handbook:

Q93: The Nature Sense talent has this wording:

You may as a standard action to gain a special sense that grants you a +1 bonus on Knowledge (nature) and Survival checks.

I'm guessing "spend a spell point" used to be in there but was removed, or alternately it was supposed to go there but got left out? I can't be sure, so I'd like to clarify if this talent is intended to require a SP expenditure.

Mehangel
2017-02-26, 02:49 PM
Diviner's Handbook:

Q93: I'm guessing "spend a spell point" used to be in there but was removed, or alternately it was supposed to go there but got left out? I can't be sure, so I'd like to clarify if this talent is intended to require a SP expenditure.

A93: The Nature Sense talent used to cost a spell point, but it was decided that it wasn't powerful enough of a sense talent to require a spell point and was removed.

AnonMD
2017-02-26, 04:31 PM
Q94: Can a blaster armorist summon two blasters instead of just one, or only one ever?

stack
2017-02-26, 04:46 PM
Q94: Can a blaster armorist summon two blasters instead of just one, or only one ever?

A94:If you have two bound you can summon both though it requires separate actions.

stack
2017-02-26, 07:43 PM
Q92: If I admixture Fire Blast with Shrapnel Blast, does the whole blast acquire the Shrapnel Blast secondary characteristics of ignoring SR and antimagic?

A92: yes, ignoring SR and all that is included in the admixtured blast.

Eldaran
2017-02-28, 09:48 PM
Q93: Life sphere's Restore ability removes conditions unless they're part of an on-going effect. What is considered on-going, since almost all conditions will be on-going? For example, if you're fatigued from Forced Marching, is that suspended or removed? What if you're nauseated inside a Stinking Cloud? Or blinded from a Blindness/Deafness?

A.J.Gibson
2017-02-28, 11:58 PM
Q93: Life sphere's Restore ability removes conditions unless they're part of an on-going effect. What is considered on-going, since almost all conditions will be on-going? For example, if you're fatigued from Forced Marching, is that suspended or removed? What if you're nauseated inside a Stinking Cloud? Or blinded from a Blindness/Deafness?

A93 An effect is ongoing if it is the result of the creature's location or circumstances and ends when they move or that circumstance ends, in opposed to having a set duration they can not interfere with. Put another way, an ongoing effect is when a spell or ability is doing something to a character on an ongoing basis, rather than doing something to them once and it lasting a period of time. It's like the difference between bleed damage from and injury, and ongoing damage because you're standing in a fire. So fatigued from Forced Marching or Blindness from Blindness/Deafness would both be removed. Stinking Cloud is more complicated: while in the cloud the effect is ongoing but Stinking Cloud would just be suspended, since the cloud reapplies the condition every turn, but once leaving the cloud, the 1d4+1 rounds the nausea persists could be removed. That's how I would rule it.

Xararion
2017-03-01, 12:52 AM
Q94: Is the reason Intense study is pretty much straight downgrade from Favoured element that way to balance the fact that admixture savant is expected to inflict more secondary effects with their spells? Or is it just generally because it'd be hard to be focused on one element when you're meant to be mixing them into admixtures.

Q95: How does the metamagic Echoing spell work with spheres of power? As it stands it seems like it wouldn't really work, though I could imagine some sort of conversion of it being relatively easy. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/echoing-spell-metamagic/ for those who want to check the feat in question.

Eldaran
2017-03-01, 01:14 AM
A93 An effect is ongoing if it is the result of the creature's location or circumstances and ends when they move or that circumstance ends, in opposed to having a set duration they can not interfere with. Put another way, an ongoing effect is when a spell or ability is doing something to a character on an ongoing basis, rather than doing something to them once and it lasting a period of time. It's like the difference between bleed damage from and injury, and ongoing damage because you're standing in a fire. So fatigued from Forced Marching or Blindness from Blindness/Deafness would both be removed. Stinking Cloud is more complicated: while in the cloud the effect is ongoing but Stinking Cloud would just be suspended, since the cloud reapplies the condition every turn, but once leaving the cloud, the 1d4+1 rounds the nausea persists could be removed. That's how I would rule it.

Thanks for the response. I wanted to add that I got the War Handbook a couple days ago (I believe you wrote it?) and I loved it! War was my least favorite sphere in the core book, and you totally turned that around. The rest of my group felt the same, there's so many cool ideas in there.

EldritchWeaver
2017-03-01, 09:08 AM
Q95: How does the metamagic Echoing spell work with spheres of power? As it stands it seems like it wouldn't really work, though I could imagine some sort of conversion of it being relatively easy. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/echoing-spell-metamagic/ for those who want to check the feat in question.

A95: I don't see how a conversion would work. You can cast a sphere effect again, because you don't need to memorize anything. The only way would allow you to pay 3 SP in general to keep a copy of the casted effect in reserve, but considering the spontaneous casting you can already recast it. Which means it is worthless for effects costing less than 3 SP, useless for effects costing 3 SPs and potentially overpowered for effects costing more than 3 SP. Considering that the last cost 4+ SP for a reason, this wouldn't fly in my games. So honestly, I don't see a way which makes this feat work with SoP.

stack
2017-03-01, 10:26 AM
Q94: Is the reason Intense study is pretty much straight downgrade from Favoured element that way to balance the fact that admixture savant is expected to inflict more secondary effects with their spells? Or is it just generally because it'd be hard to be focused on one element when you're meant to be mixing them into admixtures.

A94: The idea is that it frees you from focusing on a single element, encouraging you to employ a broad toolbox. You also have a deeper effective SP pool for metamagic and such, so they shouldn't suffer too much.

Kentama
2017-03-01, 11:19 AM
Question 96

I'm looking at the Yamabushi archetype for a spheres monk. They only get a magic talent at levels 4, 8, 12, etc... but they can choose to gain extra magic talents instead of ki powers. My question is, can they also use their bonus feats for extra magic talents? I know any original spheres class can, but since monk is supposed to pick from the pre-selected monk feat list and yamabushi doesn't specify anything different, I wasn't sure if he also had to choose those combat feats as his bonus feats

Mehangel
2017-03-01, 11:33 AM
Question 96

I'm looking at the Yamabushi archetype for a spheres monk. They only get a magic talent at levels 4, 8, 12, etc... but they can choose to gain extra magic talents instead of ki powers. My question is, can they also use their bonus feats for extra magic talents? I know any original spheres class can, but since monk is supposed to pick from the pre-selected monk feat list and yamabushi doesn't specify anything different, I wasn't sure if he also had to choose those combat feats as his bonus feats

Answer 96

The Yamabushi may not use their bonus feats to gain extra magic talents, but are instead limited to the pre-selected monk feat list.

Kentama
2017-03-01, 11:38 AM
Answer 96

The Yamabushi may not use their bonus feats to gain extra magic talents, but are instead limited to the pre-selected monk feat list.

damn that's kinda depressing. It feels like it would drop that requirement since a lot of those feats don't match the yamabushi as much as they match a traditional monk thematically, especially since you lose stunning fist.

Lol all i really wanted from the original monk is the empty body ki power and flurry of blows and then almost all magic talents

khadgar567
2017-03-01, 11:47 AM
Q97 Can you give conjured creature ( via conjuration sphere) spheres of might talent you know or let them dedicate focus to it?

stack
2017-03-01, 12:14 PM
Q97 Can you give conjured creature ( via conjuration sphere) spheres of might talent you know or let them dedicate focus to it?

A97: Conjuration companions can access SoM spheres and abilities via feats just like anyone else. We may make a companion archetype or form talent for them to gain SoM access. Sharing talents you know would be more the territory for an archetype, which has been considered but the SoP/SoM crossover material is on the back burner until we are further along with the main book.

khadgar567
2017-03-01, 12:20 PM
A97: Conjuration companions can access SoM spheres and abilities via feats just like anyone else. We may make a companion archetype or form talent for them to gain SoM access. Sharing talents you know would be more the territory for an archetype, which has been considered but the SoP/SoM crossover material is on the back burner until we are further along with the main book.
C97 So yes and no. yes you can do it and no you must use spesific archtype to do it.

stack
2017-03-01, 12:27 PM
C97 So yes and no. yes you can do it and no you must use spesific archtype to do it.

C97: As of preview 3, conjuration companions can access SoM material via feats (just like everyone else).

In the future, there will likely be additional avenues, such as (form) talents or companion archetypes. These additional avenues may include a class archetype that shares its SoM talents with its conjuration companion.

A.J.Gibson
2017-03-01, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the response. I wanted to add that I got the War Handbook a couple days ago (I believe you wrote it?) and I loved it! War was my least favorite sphere in the core book, and you totally turned that around. The rest of my group felt the same, there's so many cool ideas in there.

Thanks, I'm glad people are reading it!

Xararion
2017-03-02, 05:35 AM
Q98: Are there any methods by which one could be able to lessen the extra casting time increase on spells with metamagics. At first I thought admixture savant could go around this with admixture pools but they could only go around the time increase of admixture feats. For purpose of this question, I do know you could just slap quickened spell into the set to make it faster, but that'll probably cost as much by itself as 2-3 metamagics. This doesn't really become a major issue unless you stack metamagics, but I'd like to know for sake of curiosity.

Q99: If incanter (or sphere sorcerer) takes the bloodline set of powers from arcane bloodline, and chooses an item over a familiar as their arcane bond. How does the ability the bond normally grants that lets them cast 1 spell from any level per day work for sphere casters. Would it be regarded as just 1 extra floating spellpoint?

Mehangel
2017-03-02, 10:31 AM
Q98: Are there any methods by which one could be able to lessen the extra casting time increase on spells with metamagics. At first I thought admixture savant could go around this with admixture pools but they could only go around the time increase of admixture feats. For purpose of this question, I do know you could just slap quickened spell into the set to make it faster, but that'll probably cost as much by itself as 2-3 metamagics. This doesn't really become a major issue unless you stack metamagics, but I'd like to know for sake of curiosity.

A98: From what I can tell metamagic in spheres of power is balanced around the casting time increase. Removing or mitigating the casting time increase could potentially break the system; But like you said, if you REALLY need to decrease the casting time, use Quicken Spell and/or stack Quicken Spell with other metamagics, after all it isn't all that difficult to get a bunch of spell points or reduce the spell point cost of specific metamagic feats.

Gobliin
2017-03-02, 01:37 PM
Q99 If I use the hedgewitch spiritualist ability to gain the conjuration sphere (or the extra conjuration talen), do I gained a summon? Since it written that you summon a creature you must make a pact with it. Is this part just flavor?

Mehangel
2017-03-02, 01:43 PM
Q100 If I use the hedgewitch spiritualist ability to gain the conjuration sphere (or the extra conjuration talen), do I gained a summon? Since it written that you summon a creature you must make a pact with it. Is this part just flavor?

A100 I believe that the pact is mostly flavor. So yes, you should be able gain a companion that can be summoned.

Ryoungoragla
2017-03-02, 10:09 PM
Q101 How exactly does the Hostile Anchor mystic combat ability from the Kinetic Scourge operate?

Does it work on any enemy with a fly speed or only those that are currently flying? What is stopping a player from targeting an ally with it? The ability is based on Tether Adept, which deals no damage to the anchoring object, and the descriptor of enemy for valid target seems strange to me.

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-03-05, 05:05 PM
Q102. How long does it take to use Spellcrafting to create a spell, and as a corollary, when does its creator "learn it" for the purposes of having the ability to cast it (IE Immediately after completion, next time they would gain a new talent, etc)?

Kentama
2017-03-06, 03:33 PM
Question 103

2 destruction/admixture questions

a)Lets say I use Admixture to make a blistering(any creature damaged by the attack suffers a -2 to fort saves) and drowning(any creature damaged by the attack must pass a fort save or be nauseated for a round) destructive blast. Would the penalty to the victim's fort save from blistering apply to the fort save they make that very same turn against drowning?

b)Lets say I use Ghostly Admixture to make an Exhausting Strike (unit must pass a fort save or be exhausted) Crystal Blast (Unit must pass a reflex save or be entangled) and also apply the metamagic feats dazing spell (Target is also dazed if they fail the save from a spell, or makes a will save if the spell did not have a save attached already) and Persistent spell (the target must pass the saving throw twice in order to avoid the effects). Would the save for the daze apply to the crystal (reflex) save or the exhaust (fort) save, and how would the persistent spell effect apply to all these saving throws?

stack
2017-03-06, 10:46 PM
Q101 How exactly does the Hostile Anchor mystic combat ability from the Kinetic Scourge operate?

Does it work on any enemy with a fly speed or only those that are currently flying? What is stopping a player from targeting an ally with it? The ability is based on Tether Adept, which deals no damage to the anchoring object, and the descriptor of enemy for valid target seems strange to me.
A101: Hmm, that one was written more briefly than I would normally. Pretend flying enemy says flying creature. Basically it lets you tether to a creature that is airborne as opposed to a wall, ceiling, flagpole, etc for the purpose of swinging around. No damage.

Q102. How long does it take to use Spellcrafting to create a spell, and as a corollary, when does its creator "learn it" for the purposes of having the ability to cast it (IE Immediately after completion, next time they would gain a new talent, etc)?
A102: Adam can correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe it is 'learned' as soon as your research is complete.

Question 103

2 destruction/admixture questions

a)Lets say I use Admixture to make a blistering(any creature damaged by the attack suffers a -2 to fort saves) and drowning(any creature damaged by the attack must pass a fort save or be nauseated for a round) destructive blast. Would the penalty to the victim's fort save from blistering apply to the fort save they make that very same turn against drowning?

b)Lets say I use Ghostly Admixture to make an Exhausting Strike (unit must pass a fort save or be exhausted) Crystal Blast (Unit must pass a reflex save or be entangled) and also apply the metamagic feats dazing spell (Target is also dazed if they fail the save from a spell, or makes a will save if the spell did not have a save attached already) and Persistent spell (the target must pass the saving throw twice in order to avoid the effects). Would the save for the daze apply to the crystal (reflex) save or the exhaust (fort) save, and how would the persistent spell effect apply to all these saving throws?

A103a:The effects would be incurred simultaneously, so the fort penalty wouldn't apply unless you hit them against afterwards.

A103b: Ooh, tricky. Since a brief search doesn't show me anywhere that this question has come up for spells with multiple saves, I guess its strict reading time.

"If the spell allows a saving throw, a successful save negates the daze effect."

I read that as either save would negate the daze, which has the benefit of nerfing dazing spell. Also note that dazing spell is absent from the metamagic whitelist in the feat section. Your mileage may vary. Persistent spell should apply to both rolls and is on the whitelist.