PDA

View Full Version : very small PC

ChaosStar
2016-12-21, 08:27 PM
So Trixie's (Bastards and Bloodlines pgs.54-55) are straddling the limits of being categorized as small sized creatures. Average Height and Weight are 2'2" and 12 lbs. for Females and 2'6" and 17 lbs. for Males. According to the Players Handbook a Small PC with 14 strength has a carries a Medium load at 43 1/2 lbs., a Heavy load at 87 lbs., and a Maximum load at 131 lbs. I brought this up with my dad, who plays 2nd Edition, and he says it is impossible for the Trixie, who is small sized according to the size charts in the DMG, to carry that much weight. What do you guys say?

Necroticplague
2016-12-21, 09:34 PM
Where is he getting the 'it's impossible to carry that much' from? The rules pretty clearly state it can, so it can.

Venger
2016-12-21, 09:42 PM
yeah (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm) you can carry that much if you want to.

ChaosStar
2016-12-21, 09:42 PM
Where is he getting the 'it's impossible to carry that much' from? The rules pretty clearly state it can, so it can.

I think it was along the lines of "No way a character can carry 10x it's own weight", when I told him the maximum load.

Venger
2016-12-21, 09:44 PM
I think it was along the lines of "No way a character can carry 10x it's own weight", when I told him the maximum load.

right, your own weight has no bearing on your carrying capacity. it's purely a function of size, strength score, and whether you have 4 or more legs.

Necroticplague
2016-12-21, 10:03 PM
Ants quiet regularly lift 10 to 50 times their own weight. There's actually quiet valid physical reasons that small creatures can lift more weight as a proportion of their own weight that basically boils down to 'cube square law on small creatures makes them a larger surface area of muscle relative to their volume'.

And note that, at 14 STR, that creature is actually uncharacteristically strong for a small creature. Many small creatures have penalties to STR that further reduce their carrying capacity, in addition to size penalties.

ChaosStar
2016-12-21, 10:23 PM
Ants quiet regularly lift 10 to 50 times their own weight. There's actually quiet valid physical reasons that small creatures can lift more weight as a proportion of their own weight that basically boils down to 'cube square law on small creatures makes them a larger surface area of muscle relative to their volume'.

And note that, at 14 STR, that creature is actually uncharacteristically strong for a small creature. Many small creatures have penalties to STR that further reduce their carrying capacity, in addition to size penalties.

Using the organic rolling method I got a nat 24 on the 4d6 for Dex, I dropped one result which made the score 18, then swapped it with the Str score of 12. Racial bonuses and penalties happened then reducing an 18 Str score to 14, while picking up the now 12 Dex to 16. The character would of had a Str score of 8 if I hadn't swapped the massive Dex score for the lower Str score.

Inevitability
2016-12-22, 02:07 AM
So you have a character pushing their race's physical limits, and you're surprised they are good at lifting stuff?

Vizzerdrix
2016-12-22, 03:44 AM
So you have a character pushing their race's physical limits, and you're surprised they are good at lifting stuff?

I think, that is the wrong question. The right question is wether or not he does in the first place.