PDA

View Full Version : Sunstone (magical item)

Kurald Galain
2007-07-17, 06:37 AM
I like to make magical items with a twist, or possible drawback that the PCs have to work around. This item is an example.

Sunstone

Usually this item is a low-value gemstone, orange or yellow in color, a slight glow, and mildly warm to the touch. It is activated by holding it in one's hand and speaking a command word. These words tend to be easy to guess, such as the word 'light' in a variety of languages.
One command word causes the stone to glow as a double-radius light spell. This effect drains one charge per hour. Repeating the command word (or dropping the stone) ends the effect.
The other command word causes the stone to create a sudden bright flash of light. All creatures in a 40-foot radius must make a DC 15 fortitude save or be blinded for 2d6 rounds. Creatures that specifically avert or cover their eyes ignore this effect - the wielder of the item is well advised to do so (at least the second time he uses it). Additionally, this dispels all magical [darkness] effects within its radius. This effect uses one charge.
The item has five charges, but recovers one charge per hour while in open sunlight.

Wondrous item, moderate evocation, CL 6th; CWI, continual flame; 1000 gp

Hunter Noventa
2007-07-17, 08:11 AM
Methinks someone has been playing FF12. But that said, it's a nifty item, and not BAD. A little situational, but what item isn't? Very much in line with the items in the MIC. I'd certainly add it to a treasure table.

Kurald Galain
2007-07-17, 08:39 AM
Methinks someone has been playing FF12.

To be honest, no. I used this item in a campaign last century (perhaps I inspired the FF team :smallsmile: ). I've never played any FF game for more than five minutes.

Anxe
2007-07-17, 09:24 AM
Methinks someone has been playing FF12. But that said, it's a nifty item, and not BAD. A little situational, but what item isn't? Very much in line with the items in the MIC. I'd certainly add it to a treasure table.

Or reading the Seventh Tower series. Does the Sun Stone summon demons too?

Kurald Galain
2007-07-17, 10:08 AM
Or reading the Seventh Tower series. Does the Sun Stone summon demons too?

The what series? I've read a lot of fantasy, but is this that Stephen King series about an evil wizard?

The Demented One
2007-07-17, 10:38 AM
No, it's a really cool series of books by Garth Nix. Kid books, but they're still really cool. Would make a fun campaign setting.

Anxe
2007-07-17, 11:38 AM
Fun campaign series? It was like pokemon! Your little shadow friend does all the fighting for you. Unless you're one of those artic tribes people. They were cool.

The Demented One
2007-07-17, 11:50 AM
Fun campaign series? It was like pokemon! Your little shadow friend does all the fighting for you. Unless you're one of those artic tribes people. They were cool.
Meh, no different than an animal companion. You still had the cool sunstone casting stuff.

Matthew
2007-07-29, 11:11 PM
Aw, man. I was hoping this was going to be the Sunstone from Dragon Strike (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/viewitem.php3?gameid=1149) or more appropriately Dragon Strike (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8LBpMuSTrQ)