PDA

View Full Version : Of Beards and Brits

Serpentine
2007-07-17, 07:00 AM
Goff reckons most of the English guys on here are "bearded dudes". Is this true? I suggested Jibar, to which he countered with the fact that he's a young'n, and Prince of Cats, which he ignored.

Last_resort_33
2007-07-17, 07:06 AM
See for yourself

http://pedrick.franks.org.uk/pics/GITP/A12.jpg

Serpentine
2007-07-17, 07:09 AM
Heh, he's changed his mind now: It's just the people he sees in the playground that seem to have beards.

Sir_Norbert
2007-07-17, 07:38 AM
That is a picture of the Playground meet.....

I don't have a beard. But then I'm not sure whether I count as a Brit or not. My dad's family's from South Africa, my mother's from Ireland, so I don't think of myself as British, just as someone who happened to end up living here :elan:

The Prince of Cats
2007-07-17, 08:09 AM
Prince of Cats, which he ignored.
That idea scares me... Ignored? I don't mind ridiculed or demeaned, but ignored?

I think I may have to stand out some more and make a lot of noise. Maybe I need to regrow that Van Dycke I was mocked into shaving off. (but then, that would make me one of the masses, not an exception, and so undermine my point...)

But... Ignored...?

Wraithy
2007-07-17, 08:12 AM
too young at the moment, but 've made a bet with someone that before i'm 30 I have to grow a 2ft beard and plat it etc.
incedentally the bet includes lottery tickets :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2007-07-17, 08:14 AM
Don't worry PoC, he was ignoring my use of you as an example, not you yourself :smalltongue:

Jibar
2007-07-17, 08:17 AM
I suggested Jibar, to which he countered with the fact that he's a young'n,

I dunno. I have facial hair, but because I haven't shaved it's just kinda fine.
I have been considering growing a Shaggy beard though, does that count?

Zeb The Troll
2007-07-17, 09:18 AM
See for yourself

http://pedrick.franks.org.uk/pics/GITP/A12.jpgI see nothing but a red X here.

SMEE
2007-07-17, 09:34 AM
The combo moustache + beard is a winner.
I love bearded guys with a well treated moustache.

So, I have nothing to complain about our britain fellows who seems to enjoy letting a nice beard grow. :smallwink:

The Prince of Cats
2007-07-17, 09:36 AM
Don't worry PoC, he was ignoring my use of you as an example, not you yourself :smalltongue:
I am just amazed that I am gaining enough notoriety to be used in arguments.

I see nothing but a red X here.
You are not the only one. Given the missing avatar, I suspect that somebody went over their bandwidth allowance...

PhoeKun
2007-07-17, 09:38 AM
I see nothing but a red X here.

Ah, yes, but does that red X have a beard?

Zeb The Troll
2007-07-17, 09:40 AM
Ah, yes, but does that red X have a beard?I think there's some peach fuzz there, but it's really hard to tell at this resolution. :smalltongue:

AtomicKitKat
2007-07-17, 09:43 AM
I see maybe 2 beards, and just as many people who might be the rare species of gamer known as ladies.:smallwink: :smallbiggrin:

Adlan
2007-07-17, 10:03 AM
I'm a Brit (Well, I'm Norfolk. We declared Independance, but the Donkey with the message hasn't arrived at Downing street yet).

And I do not have a beard. I have stubble, because I'm lazy, and I Don't need to shave more than once or twice a week.

But Looking back on the meetup, most of us fellas did have stubble or beards. Maybe a Better question is who is always entirely clean shaven?

Tom_Violence
2007-07-17, 10:08 AM
I have a beard! For the second time in my life I have a facial monstrosity that would probably get me thrown out of most decent establishments and probably denied access to some of the more cautious nations. And, as stupid as this may seem, its all due to lack of shaving (gasp); i.e. I've been lazy for the last couple of weeks. I'm one of those people that's cursed with having to shave every other day to avoid getting dispairing looks.

Hoggy
2007-07-17, 10:13 AM
I british.

I have beard.

Zeb The Troll
2007-07-17, 10:21 AM
I british.

I have beard.:smallconfused: Really?

*checks latest pic in You thread*

*squints* Oh, yeah, I think I see it. Could just be shadows though, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. :smallcool:

Hoggy
2007-07-17, 10:31 AM
...Yes, okay, it's a small one. And it's not as likely to be the lighting as it is that the pictures were taken on my phone, which isn't great quality. I can see it easier. >.<

Jibar
2007-07-17, 10:34 AM
I'm a Brit (Well, I'm Norfolk. We declared Independance, but the Donkey with the message hasn't arrived at Downing street yet).

Wait wait wait. When did we do that?

Sean92k
2007-07-17, 11:48 AM
I dunno. I have facial hair, but because I haven't shaved it's just kinda fine.
I have been considering growing a Shaggy beard though, does that count?You know, if I didn't know you changed your gender icon every-so-often I would be rather worried :smalleek:

Saithis Bladewing
2007-07-17, 11:55 AM
You know, if I didn't know you changed your gender icon every-so-often I would be rather worried :smalleek:

Every so often? It's been like that for months now!

PlatinumJester
2007-07-17, 01:53 PM
Even if I had a Beard it would suck since all my facial has is blond where as my hair is ginger. So a ginger person with a blond beard would look dumb.

Tom_Violence
2007-07-17, 02:02 PM
Even if I had a Beard it would suck since all my facial has is blond where as my hair is ginger. So a ginger person with a blond beard would look dumb.

Apparently no one can win, it seems. I have brown hair, as to many friends, and all our beard-growing efforts results in ginger turning up at some stage. :smallannoyed:

Sean92k
2007-07-17, 02:23 PM
You could trade, some brown haired guys look cool with blond beards Just make sure you're one of them

Hoggy
2007-07-17, 02:28 PM
Blond hair, blond beard ftw.

Except it makes it a camobeard. :smallyuk:

Tom_Violence
2007-07-17, 04:30 PM
Blond hair, blond beard ftw.

Except it makes it a camobeard. :smallyuk:

On a pale person its hard to notice, in an unnerving way, as from a distance the person just looks slightly wrong, and as they get closer you realise that they are.

On a tanned person it looks equally bad, like those dark skinned chicks who bleach their hair.

Jibar
2007-07-18, 01:31 AM
Every so often? It's been like that for months now!

If anybody can remember when gender bender week was, and then be a couple weeks earlier, we'd know exactly when I took up the might of the ovaries.

Adlan
2007-07-18, 03:40 AM
Wait wait wait. When did we do that?

Tuesday before last. I travelled special into Norwich to cast my vote.

Ikkitosen
2007-07-18, 05:03 AM
I'm British. I'm bearded. But it's a skinny 'tache and chin only deal, none of that hairy jawline malarky, thankyouverymuch. Think Justin Timberlake, but uglier :smallwink:

Charity
2007-07-18, 05:17 AM
Don't believe him, that fake beard is just part of his disguise... Damn that helecopter's back...
*sounds of breaking glass and tear gas grenades popping*

Mr the Geoff
2007-07-18, 06:49 AM
British and clean(ish) shaven. Facial hair is just itchy and annoying, and makes my bald head look like it's on upside down.

*edit*
Wow small world, I recognise one of the people in the UK photo even though I didn't go to the meetup. Been a few years but I remember them from Ultima Online meetups. Long time no see Raxnixia.

Hazkali
2007-07-18, 07:39 AM
I'm clean(ish) shaven, but I'm trying to grow some monster sideburns...

Gygaxphobia
2007-07-18, 08:37 AM
I don't have a beard. But then I'm not sure whether I count as a Brit or not. My dad's family's from South Africa, my mother's from Ireland, so I don't think of myself as British, just as someone who happened to end up living here :elan:

That sir, is the very definition of being British! ;)

Ethdred
2007-07-18, 10:10 AM
British, no beard, and, except for the inevitable 'I wonder what I'd look like with one' never had a beard. I don't think Brits have a bigger percentage of facile hirsuteness than other races

BrokenButterfly
2007-07-18, 09:05 PM
Well I've sort of been growing a goatee, just for fun (since it hardly matters in the school holidays). If you squint at the photo you can see something shading my chin...(far right btw)

I personally don't mind whether I've got a goatee or not. I'm much more fixated on growing my hair long.

bosssmiley
2007-07-21, 06:37 AM
British, grew a beard once (in uni') but it came in ginger. I hung my head in shame, shaved it straight off and never grew another. I'm no Barbarossa.

Beards on British guys: either you have the stupid trendy chin-pubes look favoured by Hoxton tossers and wannabe rockers,
or you have the contemptible knotty hedgerow crusty/hippy look,
or the (rare and admirable) swan-white patriarchal full-beard favoured by eccentric older academics and some senior sailors.

As a general rule though, beards are for Scandinavians. :smalltongue:

Moustaches? In this day and age, it's about 90% likely that the British lipslug-wearer is either in the forces (SAS, old soldiers, etc), or using the 'tache as a homosexual cultural signifier. Either way, they're part of an insular subculture within British society. :smallwink:

Serpentine
2007-07-21, 06:53 AM
I'd like to point out that our discussion was specifically about bearded Brits in the Playground :smalltongue: But I'm happy enough with a thread about beards and/or Brits in general ^_^
Goff's dad's beard comes out with patches of black, brown, orange and white. Colourful...

Oh, and there's an African man I see every now and then in the library or around the uni. He has a little bitty white beard that shows up bright against his great dark skin shaped like this: vv It looks so cool :smallbiggrin: Nice guy, too, very friendly and chatty.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-07-21, 01:56 PM
English and bearded.

Scorpina
2007-07-21, 02:04 PM
I'm British, and I have beard envy.

...what? Beards are cool!

Eldred
2007-07-21, 02:15 PM
I'm British, but still too young to even get a beard. I just get fluff :smallredface:

Adlan
2007-07-21, 03:48 PM
British, grew a beard once (in uni') but it came in ginger. I hung my head in shame, shaved it straight off and never grew another. I'm no Barbarossa.

Me too, don't feel to bad.

KuReshtin
2007-07-22, 01:24 PM
As a general rule though, beards are for Scandinavians. :smalltongue:

That was mostly true earlier, with the vikings and stuff.

I'm Scandinavian. I don't have a beard. As proven by the posted pic earlier in the thread (very front on the left, with stripy hair). I usually have a bit of stubble, though as I just use a set of clippers to cut it down a bit when it's getting too much. Never really clean shaven as such, though.