PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Succubus meets Good Aligned Adventurer. How do?

INoKnowNames
2016-12-22, 07:56 AM
I'm officially declairing December 2016 Succubus Season, what with the several threads made on the subject recently. :smalltongue:

So, I was talking with a friend of mine, and one interesting train of thought later I'm trying to figure the different ways to obtain Immunity to Negative Energy for at least a hour or so, if not longer.

And before you wonder, Yes. It is for that purpose. :smallamused:

The best sollution we have so far is the Lasting Life feat, though that eats up a few slots. Still, better than nothing, and much better than Lich-Loved. By the way, in before "some sollution that makes the user an undead".

There's the possibility of using Iron Heart Surge to remove the levels afterwards, but considering the number of rounds in a minute, that's mildly infeasible. Good for righting oneself after casual greetings, at least.

Deathward's a bit short on duration, but I wouldn't mind ways to snag it without being a Divine Caster. I wonder how much an item of it would cost. I'm not sure if the Ring of Negative Protection is overpriced or not in this regard, at least compared to an item of Deathward... Soulfire might be pretty convenient in more ways than one, but wearing armor all the time might not be. Most of the other items couldn't hope to cut it.

Any others that I'm missing?

Mordaedil
2016-12-22, 08:11 AM
Enduring Life alone will allow you to just ignore the penalties, so you could just do it until you turn to ash.

INoKnowNames
2016-12-22, 10:03 AM
Enduring Life alone will allow you to just ignore the penalties, so you could just do it until you turn to ash.

The problem with that is that Enduring Life (which I already knew about as a prerequisite for Lasting Life) only gives you a few minutes before you're affected by Negative Levels. You have a very brief window of time after the first kiss before you'd start to die without other means of protecting yourself.

Falcon X
2016-12-22, 10:21 AM
Tomb-Tainted Soul (http://dnd.arkalseif.info/feats/libris-mortis-the-book-of-undead--71/tomb-tainted-soul--2930/) is a classic one for a more permanent effect.

If you can get your hands on the Book of Erotic Fantasy, and are allowed to draw from 3rd party, I'm pretty sure it has some ideas.

Lastly, if your interested in inspirational reading on Succubi, this article is fantastic, albeit unofficial: http://mimir.net/essays/succubus.html

Goladar
2016-12-22, 10:25 AM
Just get some Soulfire Bracers of Armor +1. It's lightweight(it can be made of leather, right?) and you can make them tight on your arm so they're not moving around.

Inevitability
2016-12-22, 10:26 AM
How do you feel about being turned into an undead, then killed and Resurrected into your non-undead form after succubus sexytimes?

Tomb-Tainted Soul is a classic one for a more permanent effect.

If you can get your hands on the Book of Erotic Fantasy, and are allowed to draw from 3rd party, I'm pretty sure it has some ideas.

Lastly, if your interested in inspirational reading on Succubi, this article is fantastic, albeit unofficial: http://mimir.net/essays/succubus.html

I strongly suggest against linking to any D&D Tools mirrors. Forum rules and all that.

Segev
2016-12-22, 10:29 AM
Isn't their level-drain power just like any other supernatural ability? Something they can turn off if they want to? Otherwise, all those cambions and alu-fiends attributed to succubi are a little hard to explain. Especially if the succubus is supposed to be able to get them from, say, first level aristocrats, experts, warriors, adepts, or commoners. And let's be honest, if all she's after is a father for her antichrist, it's a lot easier to Charm a first level NPC into it.

As an amusing side-thought, given that they are Chaotic as well as Evil, it is quite possible for a succubus to decide that she just wants to give the mortal love life a try for a while, and go to the Prime to find a nice boy to get to pursue her until she can catch him, raise a family of half-fiends (who may not know their unholy nature for quite some time), and live out his natural life with him before going back to her evil ways.

Heck, she could use her evil nature to help him advance far in the world, and be a very successful man. Her powers and her lack of scruples would mean she could hide her responsibility for serendipitous misfortunes befalling those who would have been in his way pretty easily.

Kish
2016-12-22, 10:33 AM
Have a Ring of Death Ward made. Having continuous access to a fourth-level spell is 40,000 gold for a ring of freedom of movement and thus would probably be the same for Death Ward.

Âmesang
2016-12-22, 11:14 AM
So does the energy drain go through condoms? :smallconfused:

Segev
2016-12-22, 11:16 AM
So does the energy drain go through condoms? :smallconfused:

It works off her kisses and "embrace," so this would seem irrelevant. (And it works through ARMOR. So "yes" would also seem an accurate answer.)

Deadline
2016-12-22, 11:31 AM
Bah! An Adventurers life is brutal and short. Most die with a sharp piece of metal in their gut, and I can bet you they wouldn't have chosen that way to go out.

Don't bother with any protections. If you still want to be alive afterwards, make sure your mates kill the wight that rises and then resurrect you. Otherwise:

http://s.quickmeme.com/img/2b/2b846c2ed51a08e651a02b44825ecbf718693d8489167616fc 7bdaa0b09a1ce6.jpg

Zanos
2016-12-22, 03:04 PM
Doesn't bad stuff happen to your soul if you couple with a Succubus?

I'll pass, thanks.

That said, if you don't particularly care about all that, you could put soulfire on a pair of bracers, or armor that can just morph into different stuff. +1 soulfire condoms, get em today!

Inevitability
2016-12-22, 03:11 PM

I'll pass, thanks.

Only in the most abstract sense in that you're 'allowing a fiend to exist'. That's an evil act, yes, but it doesn't instantaneously damn you to the lower planes.

John Longarrow
2016-12-22, 05:03 PM

Yes, its called Baby Mama Drama... :sabine:

Frosty
2016-12-22, 05:36 PM
Only in the most abstract sense in that you're 'allowing a fiend to exist'. That's an evil act, yes, but it doesn't instantaneously damn you to the lower planes.
And not even that, if the succubus is good aligned!

Capt. Infinity
2016-12-22, 05:45 PM
Can we discuss the precise definition of a Succubus's powers? Because I think there's a valid argument towards their Energy Drain being a thing they can just not do.

Looking at their sheet, their Kiss is classified as a "Special Attack". Special Attacks are abilities that specifically require aggressive action, i.e. an attack roll, in order to perform. These are specific and separate from Special Qualities, which are things like Defensive Powers, Passive Powers, and other Special Abilities that are not modes of attack. That seems to imply that there's a required intent in order for the power to activate. Like, you can't turn off, say, Stench, but you CAN choose not to Constrict a thing.

Coidzor
2016-12-22, 05:49 PM

I'll pass, thanks.

That said, if you don't particularly care about all that, you could put soulfire on a pair of bracers, or armor that can just morph into different stuff. +1 soulfire condoms, get em today!

A new use for that Ysgardian Heartguard armor, I imagine. Just get a zipper installed on your furry monokini.

Edit: Gloryborn armor, actually, not Ysgardian Heartwire. Also from Ysgard though.

Segev
2016-12-22, 07:02 PM
I think there's a valid argument towards their Energy Drain being a thing they can just not do.

Indeed. By the RAW, they can choose to refrain from sucking down your levels, even while engaged in the most intense of make-out sessions.

INoKnowNames
2016-12-22, 07:41 PM
Indeed. By the RAW, they can choose to refrain from sucking down your levels, even while engaged in the most intense of make-out sessions.

Oh, care to quote some delicious RAW for that. I'd love if the only limits on the hero were just stamina related. :smallwink:

posting from work sucks. >.<

Crake
2016-12-22, 09:15 PM

I've always played it like this as well, succubi can choose NOT to kill that level 1 commoner when greeting him with a hug and a kiss on the cheek. If you make it an involuntary act, it turns succubi from masters of sexuality, to slaves of their own abilities, and also makes it much harder for them to blend in.

INoKnowNames
2016-12-23, 05:50 PM
If you make it an involuntary act, it turns succubi from masters of sexuality, to slaves of their own abilities, and also makes it much harder for them to blend in.
I was under the assumption that half the legends that sprang up and ended up forming Succubi was because people would rather claim their souls being stolen/drained from them by demons than admit they were unfaithful and to be able to shift blame from an unwanted pregnancy.

I've always played it like this as well,

Isn't their level-drain power just like any other supernatural ability? Something they can turn off if they want to?
I've seen this claimed before, but I've also (unfortunately) seen claims like "a Paladin Lycanthrope automatically falls because Werewolves are Evil" and "Monk's Spell Resistance doesn't say they can lower it so you have to beat a caster level check to hit your ally with a Cure Spell", or even "emanating an globe of Lesser Invulnerability means your ally with ranged healing abilities has to use Cure Critical Wounds to target you". :smallsigh:

So while letting a Succubus -not- kill with sex seems to me to be the most reasonable option, I'd enjoy some RAW to be able to back that thought up, if such can be provided. Even if a reasonable person shouldn't need it.

succubi can choose NOT to kill that level 1 commoner when greeting him with a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

Otherwise, all those cambions and alu-fiends attributed to succubi are a little hard to explain. Especially if the succubus is supposed to be able to get them from, say, first level aristocrats, experts, warriors, adepts, or commoners. And let's be honest, if all she's after is a father for her antichrist, it's a lot easier to Charm a first level NPC into it.
This, on the other hand, does confuse me personally. A Succubus/Incubus is a proper encounter for a team of 7th level adventurers. Why would they be interested in the comings and goings of pathetic backdrop people (aside from the incredibly convenient weak to immediately steal the soul of)? Anyone hoping to produce the Antichrist would want to have someone strong and heroic to use as a source of seeds/fertile soil, wouldn't they?

As an amusing side-thought, given that they are Chaotic as well as Evil, it is quite possible for a succubus to decide that she just wants to give the mortal love life a try for a while, and go to the Prime to find a nice boy to get to pursue her until she can catch him, raise a family of half-fiends (who may not know their unholy nature for quite some time), and live out his natural life with him before going back to her evil ways.

Heck, she could use her evil nature to help him advance far in the world, and be a very successful man. Her powers and her lack of scruples would mean she could hide her responsibility for serendipitous misfortunes befalling those who would have been in his way pretty easily.
This is amusing roleplay fuel and if nothing else, you get an E-Cookie for it.

Bah! An Adventurers life is brutal and short. Most die with a sharp piece of metal in their gut, and I can bet you they wouldn't have chosen that way to go out.

Don't bother with any protections. If you still want to be alive afterwards, make sure your mates kill the wight that rises and then resurrect you. Otherwise:

http://s.quickmeme.com/img/2b/2b846c2ed51a08e651a02b44825ecbf718693d8489167616fc 7bdaa0b09a1ce6.jpg
You also deserve a Cookie, if only for sheer cheek.

How do you feel about being turned into an undead, then killed and Resurrected into your non-undead form after succubus sexytimes?
Highly opposed, and noted as so in the Op. I can't imagine screwing a Zombie would be much fun. And I have no intention of changing my mind in that regard.

Tomb-Tainted Soul is a classic one for a more permanent effect.
I sincerely don't see how the "Good Aligned" part of the title got missed.

I honestly found myself cringing at some of the artwork used there, but I'll give it another look through when I have a free moment.

The one thing I do remember about that book is technically not even that's an issue. Unless you mean in a "Who is the Father" sense, admittedly. A Succubus in a monogamous relationship; you certainly don't see -that- every day!

I'll consider some of the other items (Soulfire and custom items of Deathward already being on the list), but I was thinking mostly class features or feats, or other items I'd missed (provided they don't have bad durations and side effects for use).

exelsisxax
2016-12-23, 09:53 PM
In pathfinder at least, you can disable many Su abilities, and spell resistance. Yes, monks absolutely have SR against allied cures, but yes they can absolutely disable it (as a standard action).

John Longarrow
2016-12-23, 10:09 PM

The one thing I do remember about that book is technically not even that's an issue. Unless you mean in a "Who is the Father" sense, admittedly. A Succubus in a monogamous relationship; you certainly don't see -that- every day!

Watch Jerry Springer. THEN you will know the true horror that is BMD (Baby Mama Drama)... Sooo many ways a Succubi could have fun at the expense of other, so many "Reality TV" options to choose from.

animewatcha
2016-12-24, 12:33 AM
Succubus claims to be good right? Level 3 cleric casts luminous armor on her as a test. The target a good-aligned creature, afterall.

Nifft
2016-12-24, 01:23 AM

Succubi always claim that the relationship was monogamous when they sue you for Alu-mony.

Frosty
2016-12-24, 03:17 AM
Succubi always claim that the relationship was monogamous when they sue you for Alu-mony.
I dunno whether to shank you or hug you for that joke...

INoKnowNames
2016-12-24, 03:24 AM
Succubus claims to be good right? Level 3 cleric casts luminous armor on her as a test. The target a good-aligned creature, afterall.
Interesting theory. The problem here is that's not part of the situation all. Hell, it doesn't even matter here if she -is- good aligned or not. Just so long as she's non-evil, at least. Hence why I mostly glossed over the mention of philosophy in this thread.

Watch Jerry Springer. THEN you will know the true horror that is BMD (Baby Mama Drama)... Sooo many ways a Succubi could have fun at the expense of other, so many "Reality TV" options to choose from.
Oh, I've seen a good half of those shows, including Jerry Springer. I just meant that the Succubus can choose whether or not she gets pregnant, last time I checked. And that at the very least, a positive relationship between willing lover and (hopefully) monogamous Succubus means the only screwing between them would be of the "beast with two backs" kind.

In pathfinder at least, you can disable many Su abilities, and spell resistance. Yes, monks absolutely have SR against allied cures, but yes they can absolutely disable it (as a standard action).
Spell Resistance has that built into the base ability. Care to show me where in Pathfinder that is? I haven't even seen it in 3.5, and I'm a complete Pathfinder newb.

.... *slow clap* Bra-Vo. This made me laugh out loud. Excellent job. Cookie for you.

Calthropstu
2016-12-24, 04:55 AM
I think I will second the ring method. Alternatively, you can use extend spell on death ward to get a decent duration.

While looking for other alternatives, I came across this (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1935.0)

It seems that there is an armor enhancement specifically for immunity to negative energy that can be placed on bracers.

INoKnowNames
2016-12-25, 09:57 AM
The only consensus seems to be Soulfire Bracers or the Rings, which I suppose do work, if nothing else. I'm surprised there aren't more class features to at least consider, and I was still hoping on seeing some RAW about "this situation doesn't even have to be a thing if the 'cubus wills it" standpoint.

While looking for other alternatives, I came across this (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1935.0).

... I'm honestly not sure what relevance that thread has, considering how quickly and deeply it goes off the rails into something entirely unrelated to its own op.

Calthropstu
2016-12-25, 06:53 PM
The only consensus seems to be Soulfire Bracers or the Rings, which I suppose do work, if nothing else. I'm surprised there aren't more class features to at least consider, and I was still hoping on seeing some RAW about "this situation doesn't even have to be a thing if the 'cubus wills it" standpoint.

... I'm honestly not sure what relevance that thread has, considering how quickly and deeply it goes off the rails into something entirely unrelated to its own op.

well, raw I see no "turn off." Pathfinder is much more explicit in saying "an unwilling victim must first be grappled."

Mystral
2016-12-26, 04:10 AM
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/torment/images/a/ad/Fall_from_Grace_full.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120814070606

Zanos
2016-12-26, 03:11 PM
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/torment/images/a/ad/Fall_from_Grace_full.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120814070606
To anyone who doesn't understand, Fall-From-Grace is a LN succubus from the game Planescape: Torment. She explicitly could not disable her ability to kill people, so she was chaste.

Kish
2016-12-26, 04:02 PM
Of course, that was a 2ed game published before there was even a whisper of 3ed.

Coidzor
2016-12-26, 04:06 PM
To anyone who doesn't understand, Fall-From-Grace is a LN succubus from the game Planescape: Torment. She explicitly could not disable her ability to kill people, so she was chaste.

Ahh, I was never able to get Planescape Torment to run well enough to make it far enough in the game to actually know what the heck she even looks like. Thank you.

Zanos
2016-12-26, 04:59 PM
Of course, that was a 2ed game published before there was even a whisper of 3ed.
Yeah, absolutely. I'd say the example carries some weight, but is not absolute. Planescape was weird even by 2ed standards.

Ahh, I was never able to get Planescape Torment to run well enough to make it far enough in the game to actually know what the heck she even looks like. Thank you.
No problem.

Coidzor
2016-12-26, 05:25 PM
Yeah, absolutely. I'd say the examples carries some weight, but is not absolute. Planescape was weird even by 2ed standards.

I could see arguments made that she even had her development as a person spurred by the fact that she couldn't do the typical succubus thing and so had to find another role to fill, yeah.