PDA

View Full Version : Bending the rules (Dnd)

King.Smurf
2007-07-17, 07:36 AM
I am about to start a new game session. (Dnd) and the players are in 11 lv. I am playing with the rule: If a player wants to buy a item it must highest cost 4th of their gold. (They have 6200 gp) And one of the players would like to buy the "gloves of dex +4". But they cost 16.000 gp, and the item must highest cost 15.000. Would it be ok to let him buy it? I don't want them to be too powerful and since it will boost his dex with +4 instead of +2, I don't know if i should let him buy it or not.

Maybe it's a little wierd question but still...

Toby:smallsmile:

squidthingy
2007-07-17, 07:44 AM
If you do you need to change the rules to that the other players can buy items up to 16,000 gp

Iku Rex
2007-07-17, 07:50 AM
You mean 62 000 gold. :smallsmile: That had me confused for a second.

But no, he will not be too powerful if you let him buy a slightly more expensive item. As a rule it's more cost-effective to buy lots of cheaper items than buying a few expensive ones.

King.Smurf
2007-07-17, 07:58 AM
Oh yeah:smallsmile: 62.000 gp. My mistake. Well thanks for the replies. Just thought that the fact that it boosted your ability with +4 would make him pretty much better (Of coures it would:smallsmile:) But thanks again. I think I well let him buy it then.

Just some note for no use what-so-ever: They are going to face some Fiendish Angels. (Arovals. I call them "Fallen angels:smallcool:)) About 3 of them and I want it to be a tought encounter so I don't want them too be too powerful.

Thanks again, again:smallsmile:

Toby

Kurald Galain
2007-07-17, 08:00 AM
Since this is character creation, I'd say you have to be fair and consistent to all players. Therefore, if you allow this player a more expensive item, you must also allow other players to do likewise. I'd suggest simply upping the limit that no single item may cost more than 1/3rd of total wealth (rather than 1/4th).

King.Smurf
2007-07-17, 08:14 AM
Since this is character creation, I'd say you have to be fair and consistent to all players. Therefore, if you allow this player a more expensive item, you must also allow other players to do likewise. I'd suggest simply upping the limit that no single item may cost more than 1/3rd of total wealth (rather than 1/4th).

Right. That would be 20 666 gp. I shall take it into considering:smallsmile:

Another note to no use of what so ever:smallsmile:: My Dm said that the "Fallen angels" Should be played so I use their abilities as good as I can as often. I got the impression that he meant that it is a tought encounter for them but if so, I really should use them in every way I can. So again. They should not be too powerful. (Sorry:smallsmile: )

But thanks for the help (I must be driving you all crazy:smallbiggrin: )

Kurald Galain
2007-07-17, 08:42 AM
(I must be driving you all crazy:smallbiggrin: )

No, I have a pretty good saving throw against that :smallcool:

King.Smurf
2007-07-17, 12:46 PM
No, I have a pretty good saving throw against that :smallcool:

Good to hear:smallsmile:

CASTLEMIKE
2007-07-17, 06:41 PM
Let him have the gloves and let the other players buy items up to 16,000 GP magic items if they wish.

The rule is mostly a suggested guideline primarily so the PCs are not each buying a single super magic item of 40,000 to 60,000 GP.