PDA

View Full Version : OGL/Third Party Products

LordOfCain
2016-12-22, 03:55 PM
If someone wanted to make a Pathfinder third party product, could they utilize pre-existing third party products? For example, if someone wanted to make a ghost themed class with psionic powers, could they utilize Dreamscarred Press' psionics under the OGL? I think they could but I want to know if there is anything that says this isn't possible. I know it is against the rules to give legal advice, I just want to know if this has been done before.

thorr-kan
2016-12-22, 05:59 PM
IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer).

I believe giving legal advice is against forum policy.

Ssalarn
2016-12-22, 06:08 PM
If someone wanted to make a Pathfinder third party product, could they utilize pre-existing third party products? For example, if someone wanted to make a ghost themed class with psionic powers, could they utilize Dreamscarred Press' psionics under the OGL? I think they could but I want to know if there is anything that says this isn't possible. I know it is against the rules to give legal advice, I just want to know if this has been done before.

It depends on whether or not the property you want to "borrow from" is protected IP or not. For example, all of Pathfinder's Golarion specific content is legally protected IP not covered by the OGL.

When in doubt, always consult a lawyer and pay special attention to the OGL information in the product you're looking to use. Dreamscarred typically keeps all their products OGL available, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

LordOfCain
2016-12-22, 06:20 PM
It depends on whether or not the property you want to "borrow from" is protected IP or not. For example, all of Pathfinder's Golarion specific content is legally protected IP not covered by the OGL.

When in doubt, always consult a lawyer and pay special attention to the OGL information in the product you're looking to use. Dreamscarred typically keeps all their products OGL available, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Could you say from XX book?

Ssalarn
2016-12-22, 11:04 PM
Could you say from XX book?

There's a piece of the OGL (section 15 I believe) that has to be included in every product created using the OGL, and it needs to include every book you copy or reference content from, as well as every book listed in their section 15. If you're planning on creating a for-profit 3pp product, you really need to go register as a 3pp content creator with Paizo on their website, download their OGL packet, and consult with a legal professional (which I am not) before attempting to sell anything, because it is a very detailed and specific legal agreement, and even established companies have inadvertently opened themselves up to censure and/or litigation through surprisingly simple mistakes.

LordOfCain
2016-12-22, 11:20 PM
There's a piece of the OGL (section 15 I believe) that has to be included in every product created using the OGL, and it needs to include every book you copy or reference content from, as well as every book listed in their section 15. If you're planning on creating a for-profit 3pp product, you really need to go register as a 3pp content creator with Paizo on their website, download their OGL packet, and consult with a legal professional (which I am not) before attempting to sell anything, because it is a very detailed and specific legal agreement, and even established companies have inadvertently opened themselves up to censure and/or litigation through surprisingly simple mistakes.
Okay, thank you. That's all I wanted to know.