PDA

View Full Version : Shortening the Rejuvenation timer on a Ghost?

SangoProduction
2016-12-22, 07:14 PM
So, if a Ghost is "killed", it rejuvenates in 2d4 days, with a successful level check. This is risky. It requires being level 6 just to have a 50/50 chance of coming back. And according to the SRD, that'd put you at the CR of a level 11 character. If you're allowed to quit half way through a template class, then it'd only put you at level 9 when you get rejuvenation.

Regardless. If you do manage to come back from destruction, it's going to take a while. It would be more convenient if it didn't. Aside from wizardly "I'm not actually there, but instead am in my alternate dimension, and you are just fighting an image of me" (which immediately screams to the DM: "hey get something to invade the dimension" anyway) type of tactic, is there a way to hasten the rejuvenation speed?

OldTrees1
2016-12-22, 07:17 PM
There is nothing to shorten the timer, however the DM might allow some dice reroll abilities to help get a better result on that 2d4.

Jack_Simth
2016-12-22, 07:45 PM
So, if a Ghost is "killed", it rejuvenates in 2d4 days, with a successful level check. This is risky. It requires being level 6 just to have a 50/50 chance of coming back. And according to the SRD, that'd put you at the CR of a level 11 character. If you're allowed to quit half way through a template class, then it'd only put you at level 9 when you get rejuvenation.

Regardless. If you do manage to come back from destruction, it's going to take a while. It would be more convenient if it didn't. Aside from wizardly "I'm not actually there, but instead am in my alternate dimension, and you are just fighting an image of me" (which immediately screams to the DM: "hey get something to invade the dimension" anyway) type of tactic, is there a way to hasten the rejuvenation speed?

Ghost as a player? Yeah.... painful in a normal 3.5 game. Your offense is down and you're fragile as all get-out. You're five levels behind (so much lower skills, spell save DC's, attack rolls, and so on), and don't have a Con score to boost your HP or fort saves. In, say, a 10th level game, you've got 5d12 HP (with max first, that's an average of 38 hp) and will likely die to the first failed save against an Empowered Fireball. It's easier in Pathfinder (Cha to HP and Fort saves, no rejuvenation roll, and an effective LA of only 2), easier in Gestalt (get Hit dice on the other 'side' from a real class), but in a normal 3.5 game? Very ouchy. Invest in Flyby Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#flybyAttack) (from the Monster Manual I) and Necrotic Reserve (Libris Mortis) at a minimum. Re-equipping is also painful.

Ways to reduce risk: You know the DC, and you know your modifier, so anything that permits an arbitrary d20 reroll (such as a luck blade) will help. At ECL 10, for instance, you need an 11 for a 50% chance. Anything less than that result, you use the reroll on your luck blade - giving you an effective 75% chance. At ECL 15, you need a 6, for a 75% chance. Anything less than that result, you use the reroll on your luck blade - giving you an effective 93.75% chance.

Ways to remove risk: Aura of Perfect Order, Tome of Battle: Book of 9 swords. Lets you take 11 on any d20 check once per round. As a 6th level stance, a Crusader ghost could have it at ECL 16. You may be able to successfully argue your DM into accepting the take ten mechanic, at which point, it's a freebe at ECL 11.