PDA

View Full Version : Lotus root tempura?

Togath
2016-12-22, 08:54 PM
So I found some cheap lotus root... And I've been pondering, what kinda flavor and texture does it have? Could you do potato tempura style frying with it? Or might a stir fry be better?

Fri
2016-12-22, 11:06 PM
here's a spoiler.

ANYTHING is good deep fried. :smallbiggrin:

And tempura is basically deep fried something anyway.

tantric
2016-12-25, 08:17 AM
you're talking about the stuff that when sliced looks a bit like honeycomb? honestly, it has almost no flavor - people eat it for the neat shape. i have done it tempura- the key is to have a good dipping sauce. try caramelized onions and garlic with sesame oil->blender with soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger and a dash of sriracha. keep it thick.

NichG
2016-12-25, 08:56 AM
If you slice it thin, it gets crispy when fried, like a potato chip - no need for tempura batter.

sktarq
2016-12-30, 08:46 PM
Lotus Root also picks up flavors well (if sometimes selectively, as in only parts of a taste that it is in contact with, which can be used to shape a final taste) so drizzling sauces, meat jus, wine/marinade reductions is a great idea.

Had them smoked once and it was great

They BBQ nicely

Double recommend the very thin slices and crisp them up like a potato chip/crisp (and vinegar in the cooking process really enlivens them)

They do have a natural flavor, but it is rather mild and many people can barely taste them.

Also fish sauce/paste is good with them but frankly you have to like fish sauce. Or just a dab of anchovy if you have surstromming or something similar.

I've had luck pairing them with hard semisweet apples/pears

I like lotus root

Staceyandmom
2017-11-03, 02:44 PM
Hi Everyone! I make lotus root chips similar to potato chips. We are selling them on Amazon. Stacey & MOM Lotus Chips.

They are slightly salty with a hint of garlic. They have a mild and nutty taste and goes really well with your favorite dip or on its own. Here is the link. Please check us out! Thank you:smallredface: