PDA

View Full Version : Character Creation help for Pathfinder

Pefgis
2016-12-23, 12:14 PM
I've got a game coming up that's going to be a pathfinder campaign played online. My dm moved to Taiwan but is trying to keep the band together. The problem is... I've been playing a lot of fifth edition and love it to bits. The codified number crunchiness here ...isn't really my thing but I still want to participate. I checked out the srd and I'm cobbling a character together. I'd love some help and guidance though, especially for feat and spell progression. Here's the info I was given...
The Crystal Campaign.
We will be starting the Crystal Campaign going forward. Unlike SCP, this campaign will be plot driven, with a specific objective for each session. There will be a more serious tone, and player death will once again be a risk.
In addition, I would like to try Pathfinder for this campaign. It is a re-balanced version of D&D 3.5
Please start at level 1.

Classes:
Please choose a class from Core - Base - Alternate - Hybrid
Do NOT use Unchained - Occult - Prestige
Races:
Please choose a race from Core - Standard
The campaign will feature low magic to begin. You are simple dime store adventurers at the beginning of the campaign.

I was thinking either a simple, bread and butter fighter or a druid girl that is associated with bees/wasps, a friendly salt of the earth naive forest girl that loves creepy crawlies and bugs more than than puppies. Obviously that's the idea I am fond of more, but I'm intimidated by the complexity of the system. I'm not new to dnd or 3.5 though, so maybe it will fine, especially if you guys help with level progression and spell/feat choices. Otherwise, I think I can handle fighter. Any ideas? Thanks for any help, it's highly appreciated!

Palanan
2016-12-23, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by Pefgis
I was thinking either a simple, bread and butter fighter or a druid girl that is associated with bees/wasps, a friendly salt of the earth naive forest girl that loves creepy crawlies and bugs more than than puppies.

Your beehive druid girl is definitely the more interesting concept, and it should be feasible in Pathfinder.

I would suggest starting with the blight druid (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/archetypes/paizo---druid-archetypes/blight-druid) from the Advanced Player's Guide. Despite the name, you can still be a friendly forest girl, just with an affinity for insects.

If you want an insect animal companion, there are some options on pp. 36-37 of Ultimate Magic, including giant ants, beetles, wasps and centipedes. There's no special feat required to take one of these options, but check with your DM to make sure the book is approved. (I can't tell from the categories you included.) If for some reason you don't want a giant wasp for your animal companion, the blight druid has the option of several unconventional domains, and Darkness could be especially useful.

That should get you the basics. I don't know too many other vermin-centered feats in Pathfinder, although there are a ton of options in 3.5. But that would depend on how open your DM is to wheedling polite requests.

Originally Posted by The DM
…and player death will once again be a risk.

Man, that's a harsh DM. In my games it's only the characters in harm's way.

:smallbiggrin:

Calthropstu
2016-12-23, 10:16 PM
Man, that's a harsh DM. In my games it's only the characters in harm's way.

:smallbiggrin:

You mess with campaign and I gut you like sheep.

On a more serious note, there are some good choices available to you. Using summon natures ally, there are all sorts of insects available on the list and the large insects as animal companion is definitely a nice touch. Using summon swarm is generally frowned upon by many players since it can't be controlled but sounds perfect for your character concept.

I can totally see your character going for riding a giant spider into combat.
Druids get summon natures ally at all times, so augment summoning is a definite plus, as well as superior summons. Specialize in summoning insect like creatures and make them tougher, and summon more of them.

If spamming summons is not your thing, start with abilities that augment your wild shape powers. Also take feats that allow you to cast in wild shape.

The other alternative is to focus on druidic spells. Metamagic feats and the like. Still, I would think that your character concept makes this method a no go.

So summoning or wild shape, which do you prefer to focus on?

Pefgis
2016-12-24, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the help, I'm already getting more inspired. So I was originally thinking of instead of an animal companion, going for the swamp or animal-insect domain, so yeah, focusing on spells and supplementing it with wild shape. But summoning sounds intriguing. Thanks again! I have until January 7 to finish the character, so I have lots of time to tweak this.