PDA

View Full Version : What's the best encounter you've either made or participated in?

Millface
2016-12-23, 02:12 PM
Making this thread to share and view some awesome creativity that we've either created or experienced, hopefully giving the DMs of this board some fun ideas! I'll start so you know what I mean.

My favorite encounter that I've created:

In a mountain fortress with three levels, the third level (Accessible early on via ladder, but guarded by a ballista manned by kobolds at the top of a narrow staircase that packed a real wallop) first room held a construct with the iron golem stat block, but was actually manned by a goblin engineer who controlled it from the inside kind of Krang style. His pilot compartment had a see through blast shield (60 HP, can't cast through it)

The room was square, and had four pillars, one in each corner. Lightning arched between them and the golem in a tesla coil type fashion. Each pillar would shoot out a bolt of lightning once per round on the golem's turn that dealt 2d10 lightning damage. They had 40 HP each, and each one imparted some kind of defense to the golem. The defenses were:

Pillar 1: Damage resistance (all) to the golem
Pillar 2: Gave the golem an ability, Charge Cannon, 20ft. wide, 60ft. long swathe of lightning dealing 10d6 damage, Recharge 3
Pillar 3: Advantage to saves against magic and magical abilities
Pillar 4: Self Destruct, when the Golem reached 0 hit points, if this pillar was still standing, the golem would self destruct, dealing 15d6 fire damage in a 30 ft. radius

In addition to this, poison gas began to fill the room from two vents on either side in the ceiling. Each round standing in the gas was a DC 14 Con save or temporarily lose 1d4 constitution points

In other parts of the fortress the party could have deactivated these one at a time (not really knowing exactly what they were accomplishing until they arrived here) including the gas cloud, but they decided to take the shortcut and dealt with the ballista (even taking one of the Charge Cannons the second they crested the top of the stairs) and instead of running they grit their teeth and fought it out. I have a rather large group, or else it would have been wildly impossible. 8 Players level 7-9. Life Cleric, Two Bards, Bladelock, Sorcerer, Assassin Rogue, Moon Druid, and Paladin.

They fought the thing with ALL of it's defenses up at first, had to figure out how to disable them on the fly, and tried to fight from range because of the gas, but two members just waded in through it. Things were looking pretty grim until my sorcerer launched a fireball into the room and, smartly, asked if it interacted with the gas at all. I liked the cut of his jib, so I turned the gas into an incendiary cloud for one round, dealing damage as the 8th level spell. Two party members died pretty hard there, but it managed to knock out two pillars and hurt the golem significantly. They came through in the end. Luckily, the druid had taken a finger from each party member who's ever died for reincarnation purposes that he keeps in a bag of holding, so we managed to get everyone back up and relatively in one piece, though their races changed.

Overall, despite the admittedly and purposefully ridiculous difficulty of this encounter when fought early, the part loved how unconventional it was (not just a tank and spank, combat that makes you think, DM lenient with player creativity and ideas, etc...) everyone said that it was a blast, their favorite encounter so far.

Ok. Your turn!

Foxhound438
2016-12-23, 03:31 PM
i did a couple of 1-shot adventures a while back inspired by Darkest Dungeon, with the bosses being the swine king and formless flesh. Players were very entertained by both.

MrConsideration
2016-12-23, 04:09 PM
Allow me to toot my own trumpet, here's two encounters that I felt were good enough to use as a masterclass in encounter design, discussed on my blog:

This one (http://thelastdaydawned.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/fighting-good-fight-sometimes-scenery.html) and this one. (http://thelastdaydawned.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/the-good-fight-1-one-last-job.html)

KingFerret
2016-12-24, 04:00 PM
Allow me to toot my own trumpet, here's two encounters that I felt were good enough to use as a masterclass in encounter design, discussed on my blog:

This one (http://thelastdaydawned.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/fighting-good-fight-sometimes-scenery.html) and this one. (http://thelastdaydawned.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/the-good-fight-1-one-last-job.html)

Just read through those and I gotta say - wow. I'd love to be a PC in one of your games.

MrConsideration
2016-12-24, 04:53 PM
Thanks a lot!

I'd say I built my encounter style by stealing liberally form the AngryDM and Chris Perkins' wisdom!

Creativity is hiding your sources and all that!

Afrodactyl
2016-12-25, 03:57 AM
I drew up a dragon turtle + minions encounter for a party of four level three adventurers that went down pretty well. The turtle would primarily attack the ship, causing it to rock violently back and forth. So the party had to deal with the giant parasites falling off of it (using kua-toa stats), fighting the turtle with cannon fire, and trying to stay on their feet/not fall off the ship.

Went down really well and got pretty hectic when the rogue and barbarian had to go diving overboard to rescue the warlock while the fighter held off the growing horde of minions.

Zippdementia
2016-12-25, 01:49 PM
My latest session I built a random encounter for a dire shark that worked out fantastically, and gave a "difficult to run" sea encounter its due. I go into detail here:

http://zippdementia.tumblr.com/post/154943486170/journey-log-tomb-of-haggemoth-dire-dire-docking

Cespenar
2016-12-26, 12:45 AM
Not the best perhaps, but one of the most memorables was a two-pronged affair.

Two of the party members + a helping NPC vs. a high priest of Bhaal and one of the PCs who is chosen by Bhaal and is possessed by it.

Meanwhile, in that chosen of Bhaal's mindscape, she combats Ravager, the incarnation of Bhaal, in order to win dominion over Bhaal's essence and avoid being a mindless drone to his will. The said combat takes place in an endless plane of knee-high blood and gore, and the PC can (in a limited manner) use the surrounding blood to shape into makeshift walls or cantrip-like attacks. As long as the battle continues, the PC character in the real world is controlled as an NPC.

Battle ensues, the Chosen PC almost kills one of the other PCs, when in the mindscape battle, she finally manages to slay the Ravager and retake control of his mind. She then considers the real world situation for a moment, and the high-priest is like, "What is it, mistress? Let's finish them off." She promptly backstabs the high priest and turns the tide of the battle, and the high priest finally falls.

Presently, the PCs mind is a three-way council: her own mind, her pact lord (she's a Warlock), and the essence of Bhaal. She has the final call, but they are all there.