PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Inquisitor Archetype Boost?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-12-23, 03:16 PM
Question: Does anyone know of any way to boost this inquisitor archetype's (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/inquisitor/archetypes/inquisitor-archetypes---paizo/monster-tactician-inquisitor-archetype) [Sp] summon monster ability to summon monster IX without taking more than 2 inquisitor levels? Any source is valid, from 3.0 to Pathfinder, including Dragon and Dungeon Magazines and other 2nd and 3rd party sources.

I considered Supernatural Transformation, but A.) that may or may not be innate (it's not mentioned, so I'm leaning towards "no"), and B.) that only improves caster level, not effective spell level.

The only two ways I know of to get it for sure would be illithid savant (to eat a high level inquisitor), or via levels of legacy champion.

Troacctid
2016-12-23, 03:39 PM
Evangelist 10 + Legacy Champion 10 should do it. You can also add Uncanny Trickster.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-12-23, 04:07 PM
Evangelist 10 + Legacy Champion 10 should do it. You can also add Uncanny Trickster.I did say "without more than 2 levels of inquisitor," as well as mention legacy champion. I probably should've brought up uncanny trickster as well, to fill in two levels (though it would only hit summon monster IV, with inquisitor 2/X 5/uncanny trickster 3/legacy champion 10).

Looking for ways other than more inquisitor and the two PrCs above. I think Practiced Spellcaster would increase the effective CL by +4, but again, that wouldn't increase the effective spell level, nor would Heighten Spell-Like Ability.

Are there feats or class features which allow a spontaneous class like sorcerer to expend a higher level spell slot to increase the effective spell level in a chain? IE, take summon monster I as a spell known and get summon monster II if you cast it in a level 2 slot? Depending on the wording, you might be able to make use of that feat on the summon monster SLA.

Troacctid
2016-12-23, 04:29 PM
There is the Escalate Summons feat.

Prerequisite: Ability to cast any summon monster or summon nature's ally spell, or use any summon monster or summon nature's ally spell as a spell-like ability

Benefit: When you cast a summon monster or summon nature's ally spell (or use an equivalent spell-like ability), you can voluntarily take any amount of Constitution damage. For every 2 points of Constitution damage you take, treat the spell or spell-like ability as if it were one level higher. For example, when you cast summon monster ii, you may take 6 points of Constitution damage to treat it as summon monster v instead.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-12-23, 05:20 PM
There is the Escalate Summons feat.That's the Mary Poppins of this thread: practically perfect in every way, and it's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Thanks!

[edit] Where do I find it? I can't find the source for that feat.

Troacctid
2016-12-23, 05:43 PM
[edit] Where do I find it? I can't find the source for that feat.
It's 3rd party and playtest material. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it got nerfed for the final version. It seems pretty abusable. I'd probably go the Evangelist route if I were you.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-12-23, 05:59 PM
It's 3rd party and playtest material. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it got nerfed for the final version. It seems pretty abusable. I'd probably go the Evangelist route if I were you.I have two levels of inquisitor and three levels left on one side of the level 21 gestalt build I'm making. Even adding the final three levels to it only gives me summon monster III, which isn't much better than SM I at low epic. At least higher level SM spells will give spell-likes to mess around with, but that's not happening if I can't find anything. Of course, low level judgments suck (like with most low level abilities in Pathfinder that aren't spellcasting), and I have a really high Wis score, so I'll be able to summon low level critters many, many times per day for utility stuff, which is better than a measly +1 to something 1/day. Or I could try for a different archetype, I guess.

Also, evangelist does nothing for me. I have a bard level already.

Troacctid
2016-12-23, 06:17 PM
Also, evangelist does nothing for me. I have a bard level already.
I mean this (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/evangelist) Evangelist.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-12-26, 12:52 PM
I mean this (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/evangelist) Evangelist.But it requires obedience to a god.

Ewwwwwww.

[edit] Though I suppose it does qualify. I wonder, are there any other such classes in Pathfinder?

Also, I suggest ability burn, rather than damage, for that feat. Anything else is too easily mitigated.

[edit 2] I think the Heighten Spell-Like Ability feat would work:

Choose one of your spell-like abilities (subject to the restrictions below) to use at a heightened level up to three times per day (or the ability's normal use limit, whichever is less). The spell-level equivalent of the heightened spell-like ability is two higher than its normal level (to a maximum of 9th level), with all effects dependent on spell level (including saving throw DCs) calculated at the higher level. The spell-like ability you wish to heighten can be chosen only from those abilities that duplicate a spell of a level less than or equal to 1/2 your caster level (round down), minus 2. For a summary, see the Caster Level to Empower column in the table on page 304 of the Monster Manual.

So the summon monster SLA would count as being 2 levels higher 3/day. Not a huge boost, but getting summon monster IV instead of summon monster II is a fairly significant boost, especially at lower levels.

Troacctid
2016-12-26, 04:54 PM
That would be a summon monster ii that is treated as a 4th-level spell, not a summon monster iv. Much like heightening a sleep spell cannot turn it into deep slumber, heightening a summon spell does not improve the creatures it can summon.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-12-26, 05:15 PM
That would be a summon monster ii that is treated as a 4th-level spell, not a summon monster iv. Much like heightening a sleep spell cannot turn it into deep slumber, heightening a summon spell does not improve the creatures it can summon.That particular instance, though, actually becomes a higher level spell at higher levels.

Troacctid
2016-12-26, 05:21 PM
So does summon monster. I–IX are nine separate spells, not one spell heightened to nine different levels. This isn't summon fey.