PDA

View Full Version : Dragon of defiance

Yaitanos
2016-12-23, 03:22 PM
So I'm in a game playing a dragon shaman and the dm has informed me that dragons don't work quite the same way in his world. Instead of being color/element/metal based, they are concepts like rage, hope and courage. He said that I can still be a dragon shaman, I just have to switch to another dragon than the copper totem I have chosen. He recommends I go with the dragon who is the embodiment of sass, but while I am very sassy in character, I think that defiance more accurately describes my character. So I need new abilities to go with this totem.

I was thinking I could gain spell resistance for my adaptation, similar to what a Drow would gain, if not a few points shy of it. For the associated skills I was thinking intimidate, bluff and escape artist. But I'm completely lost on what the breath weapon should be.

Flavor me a peach playgrounders!

DrMotives
2016-12-23, 03:59 PM
Seems it should be whatever your DM has decided the breath weapon of a dragon of defiance has. But if it's up to you to pitch it, than sass should probably be a line of acid. Not only is that the breath of a copper, the most sassy dragon of the core dragons, but acid fits with a biting / burning theme I could see for sassyness. But defiance should be a cone, you'd want a larger area for "Thou shall not pass" moments that define breathing for defiance. For an energy form, assuming force is a no-go, than fire or cold both feel appropriate. Silver seem the closest to embodying defiance out of the core dragons, although there's probably a better match in non-core dragons. Regardless, I'd go with cone of cold for breath.

Yaitanos
2016-12-23, 08:38 PM
The DM wanted to work with me on the stays of my chosen dragon, and while I agree with your energy type suggestions, what do you think about sonic for the energy of the defiant breath weapon? Sort of a cry of defiance? And for the immunity gained at level 9, immune to mind-affecting and compulsion effects?

ZamielVanWeber
2016-12-24, 12:54 PM
As a note: immunity to mind affecting is normally difficult for players to get until higher levels; I would not put it at 9. Immunity to Charms and Compulsions seems reasonable though since Paladins of Freedom end up with immunity to compulsions.

Yaitanos
2016-12-24, 02:39 PM
As a note: immunity to mind affecting is normally difficult for players to get until higher levels; I would not put it at 9. Immunity to Charms and Compulsions seems reasonable though since Paladins of Freedom end up with immunity to compulsions.

Well yes, but there are ways to get it at 1st level too.

ZamielVanWeber
2016-12-24, 02:53 PM
Well yes, but there are ways to get it at 1st level too.

Without cheese it is hard to get at ECL 1. Asking for it at 9th seems to be a bit excessive. Immunity to Charm and Compulsion at 9th at least has precedent.

Troacctid
2016-12-24, 03:45 PM
Disagree. 4th would be too early, but 9th is a totally reasonable level to get it at. Especially if it means you're taking 9 levels in one of the worst base classes in the game.

However, immunity to enchantments probably makes a lot more sense thematically than immunity to all mind-affecting effects.

Yaitanos
2016-12-24, 03:55 PM
Disagree. 4th would be too early, but 9th is a totally reasonable level to get it at. Especially if it means you're taking 9 levels in one of the worst base classes in the game.

However, immunity to enchantments probably makes a lot more sense thematically than immunity to all mind-affecting effects.

I was actually trying to stay with mind affecting and compulsion because of the theme. As there are enchantment spells that don't force you to do things.

Vizzerdrix
2016-12-24, 04:01 PM
No sass. No defiance. Go for lust, then dig out the book of erotic fantasy.

ZamielVanWeber
2016-12-24, 04:13 PM
The immunity they gain is only to an energy type normally so giving something as sweeping as mind-affecting is uncharacteristic. Thing is, they also normally get immunity to their breath weapon type so it would be immunity to sonic (admittedly that is pretty awful due to how niche it is) so something better is required.

In lieu of tiny debates I would like to present my thoughts:
The skills are hardest since the only skill I think of as defiant is Intimidate and you have that already so I am thinking Sense Motive (better to see through their lies), Spot (better to see through their disguises), and Listen (to complete the set I guess)

Breath weapon probably has to be energy but thankfully we have a cool option from MM2: cone of subsonics. In addition to damage they need to make a will save at the same DC or be panicked.

Adaptation: I don't like SR because it is a liability to you as player as well as a boon. Mettle would work better here I think and synergizes nicely with your good Fort and Will save. Also your allies will never gripe about being given mettle.

Energy Immunity: Properly you should be immune to fear and sonic but what a meh combo here. I am still a fan of Charms and Compulsions but you favor Mind-Affecting. Troacctid's enchantment seems like a solid compromise here.

ZamielVanWeber
2016-12-24, 04:14 PM
I was actually trying to stay with mind affecting and compulsion because of the theme. As there are enchantment spells that don't force you to do things.

All Enchantment's are mind-affecting. Immunity to mind-affecting gives you immunity to the entire school of enchantment and then some.