PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Intelligent Epic Magic Item, Did I do this right?

Job
2016-12-23, 11:52 PM
Long story short, our group managed to put a Winterwight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/winterwight.htm) into a sword thereby creating an intelligent magic item.

Winterwights are scary and the DM ruled that the magical transference of its mind into our sword did not retard its ability scores in any way.

This naturally has consequences if we want to use the item creation tables as presented in the ELH, and I wanted to get a sanity check on all the decisions made while codifying this item. Any input is more then appreciated.

To begin we have the WW basic mental stat-line:

Int: 10
Wis: 22
Cha: 28

From Table: Epic Item Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma, and Capabilities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/intelligentItems.htm#intelligentItemAbilities) we can determine the minimum category needed to accommodate these abilities if we were generating this weapon randomly. Namely row [65-71] – two abilities at 2d6+16, and one at 3d6.

This gives us 4 primary powers, 3 extraordinary powers, and 1 awesome power, in addition to Telepathy for convenience.

Attempting to mirror the abilities a typical Winter-Wight has we selected the following powers:

P1: 10 ranks in Knowledge Religion (+16)
P2: Wielder has free use of Improved Initiative
P3: Wielder has free use of Power Attack
P4: Wielder does not need to breath
E1: Haste (wielder only, 10 rounds) 1/day
E2: Wielder has free use of Epic Fortitude
E3: Dimension Door 1/day
A: Cone of Cold {Heightened, Maximized; 15d6) (DC 23/CL 23)

Granting an epic feat is not typical, but Epic Fortitude offers a straightforward bonus and does not lend itself to abuse. Cone of Cold is heightened to 6th level and Maximized to bring it on par with the Enhanced Chain Lightning as presented in the awesome powers table.

The only sticking point then was what the swords bonus and abilities were. It would seem that and epic intelligent magic item would have to be an epic item in its own right necessitating at least a +6 enhancement
bonus, so we went with that for simplicity

Ego:

Enhancement bonus up to +5
Enhancement bonus +6
Primary powers
Extraordinary powers
Awesome Powers
Telepathy
Ability scores
Read & Comprehend Languages

Total: 41

Kelb_Panthera
2016-12-24, 03:23 AM
One question: what level are you?

Job
2016-12-25, 02:25 AM
Level 15,

This is mostly running of DM fiat, I just wanted to be consistent with the item itself.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-12-25, 08:59 PM
Looks fine. It doesn't seem to be too much as long as that CoC is limited to a couple times per day at most. Might be a bit off from how I'd do it but it looks consistent enough with the source creature.

Job
2016-12-26, 03:19 PM
Thank you, good to know I did not mess it up.

CoC is limited to 1/day.