PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Night Vale discussion.

Prof. Maple
2016-12-23, 11:58 PM
I can't really find any where to discus the podcast welcome to night vale. I've tried other forums, but nothing has ever clicked.
Here seemed like a good place. First off, for those who don't know, Welcome to Night Vale is a serial drama podcast feturing the small desert town of Night Vale. in the town strange things go on daily, but people pass them off as completely normal parts of everyday life. Can't post links yet :smalltongue:
So just look it up.:smallbiggrin:

Somensjev
2016-12-24, 01:50 AM
I have listened to some night vale (i think up to the indescribable object at the park that you shouldn't talk about, or something)

It's an interesting idea, and the voice narrating it is quite soothing, but I couldn't really justify putting in the effort to listen to all of it, I may try at a later date though

Kato
2016-12-24, 06:10 AM
We had a thread... A few months ago. In summer? No, I think even earlier. It died.

I do like WtNV, but I used to like it much more. I won't say it got worse at some point but somewhere around the end of the strexcorp arc my interest was fading. I'm probably a month or so behind right now :smallredface:

I still think it's a good show with interesting ideas all throughout. But... Hm.. Maybe it seems to me they shifted their focus from humorous weird to artsy weird too much lately? Then again, I probably should re-listen the last arc to judge that properly...

Eldan
2016-12-24, 05:56 PM
I only came to it pretty late, and marathoned the early episodes, but yeah, later ones just aren't as captivating as some of the earlier stuff.

Actually, I was attracted to a lot of the really weird early stuff and my impression is quite the opposite to Kato's: it's not weird enough. Too much character work with already well known characters, not enough out of the left field magical conspiracy.

gordonpyette
2016-12-24, 08:23 PM
Cecil Gershwin Palmer is the voice of Night Vale and the narrator of Welcome to Night Vale. He works at Night Vale Community Radio as the announcer and self-proclaimed journalist.

TheManicMonocle
2016-12-26, 07:56 AM
honestly, I would like to say I am the number one fan of nightvale, I even listen to re-runs sometimes. But yeah, the strex arc wasn't their best, but the newest arc that just finished was great!

Ceiling_Squid
2016-12-26, 01:31 PM
I still think it's a good show with interesting ideas all throughout. But... Hm.. Maybe it seems to me they shifted their focus from humorous weird to artsy weird too much lately? Then again, I probably should re-listen the last arc to judge that properly...

This is pretty much why I gradually lost interest after the Strex arc, and no longer listen. It's been nearly a year since I caught an episode.

It went from joking about Lovecraftian horror tropes, to fully embracing over-embellished strangeness without a hint of self-awareness. A little too Tumblr-artsy and superficial (if that makes any sense. I'm not sure how else to describe it, except for the kind of amateurish "weird" fantasy I might see on an artsy blog). It's now just strange for the sake of being strange, and seems far too character-driven, rather than a snapshot of Nightvale's bizarre problems.

Ever since they started stripping away the mystery and focusing on the Carlos/Cecil romance, the show started losing the magic for me. It felt too much like it was moving away from its Lovecraftian parody roots and was pandering to a fanbase more interested in fanart and shipping. Which is fine if that's what one is into, but it felt like a fundamental drift away from the core appeal.

Oh well. Maybe I'll get back into it sometime and re-assess it, give it another shot.