PDA

View Full Version : Domain Spontenaiety vs Extend spell

13_CBS
2007-07-17, 11:13 AM
Well, for my very very first D&D character I'm playing a Lawful Good cleric of Kelemvor, domains death (for flavor) and traveling. I'm level 2 right now, and my cleric is currently an odd one; he has 17 Dex (don't worry, his Wis is 17 too) and I've decided to make him a mobile, protect-the-wizard cleric wearing light (studded leather) armor and wielding a spiked chain (wierd, I know; I don't think I'll become a tripper either). I'm hoping my role will be that of the party healer and wizard protector.

But should I take Extend Spell or Divine Spontenaiety (Complete Divine feat, lets me spontaneously cast a spell from one of my Domains in exchange for a prepped spell of the same level)? I see the merits of Extend Spell, but at the same time making a buff spell (which I may or may not be using frequently) last two minutes instead of one seems...limited, especially when most D&D encounters are supposed to last only a few rounds (and who knows how much time there will be between each encounter). Meanwhile, I don't know how powerful Divine Spontenaeity will be in the long run.

So which should I pick? Divine spontenaeity or Extend Spell?

Droodle
2007-07-17, 11:38 AM
If you were actually taking decent domains, domain spontaneity is a good feat.....but you aren't.

13_CBS
2007-07-17, 11:41 AM
I've heard Travel is a pretty good one, though....

Draz74
2007-07-17, 11:49 AM
True. Spontaneous access to Fly, Dimension Door, and Teleport is never bad to have. And the Death domain at least has two decent spells, even if they're not ones a Cleric needs very often (Slay Living, Destruction).

Droodle
2007-07-17, 12:43 PM
True. Spontaneous access to Fly, Dimension Door, and Teleport is never bad to have. And the Death domain at least has two decent spells, even if they're not ones a Cleric needs very often (Slay Living, Destruction).I question the need for spontaneous
access to fly, dimension door or teleport. Spontaneous access to war or strength, on the other hand......

13_CBS
2007-07-17, 03:43 PM
I reread the feat entry today, and it turns out that I can spontaneously convert either a prepped spell OR a turning attempt. Since I have crappy Cha anyway, this might help me more than hinder me.