PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Stirge bolt shenanigans

Jowgen
2016-12-24, 02:54 AM
Skimming through A&E, I came accross the Stirge bolt, a +3 crossbow bolt with the following benefit:

[physical description] The round after a successful hit, the bolt begins to drain the target’s blood, dealing 1d4 points of temporary Constitution damage each round until destroyed. As a Tiny wooden weapon, each stirge bolt has a hardness of 5 and 1 hit point. While draining blood from a target, the bolt has an AC of 12 (+2 size). Stirge bolts that miss their targets are consumed.

It's an interesting piece, and so I'm naturally curious as to what fun can be had with it.

The first and probably most TO thing that came to mind is the Force WSA from MIC :

A projectile weapon with the force property turns ammunition shot from it into a force attack. [text on overcoming DR and such] Ammunition shot from a force weapon deals the same amount of damage as normal ammunition.

Now based on the line on dealing the same ammount of damage as normal, I'm rather positive a stirge bolt fired from a Force crossbow will still do its blood drain. The thing is, the only way to remove the bolt is to sunder it, and while the text gives the hardness and HP it has as a "tiny wooden weapon", the Force WSA turns it into a force effect, which... please correct me if I'm wrong... can't be sundered. Now there is a simple counter to this, namely the Styptic ASA from MIC, but for an unprepared target, the above is a straight up death sentence of Aboleth Mucus proportions.

Another thing that I noted is that a Stirge bolt, unlike a normal crossbow bolt, doesn't automatically break upon impact. Unless the creature struck sunders it, or it misses in the first place, it explictly remains intact. Am I misreading this, or does this open the dread door of re-useable ammunition?

So those are my 2 ideas, which I'm looking for feedback on. Any other ideas on how to get use out of this little thing are most welcome.

zergling.exe
2016-12-24, 03:08 AM
Force WSA turns it into a force attack, but it remains a tiny wooden weapon since no other properties are explicitly changed. So clearly projectiles shot from a force bow are sheathed in force that dissipates when they strike.

Vizzerdrix
2016-12-24, 03:24 AM
Would be good for launch bolt optomization.

LordOfCain
2016-12-24, 08:54 AM
Couldn't you make it out of riverine?

Jowgen
2016-12-24, 09:03 AM
Force WSA turns it into a force attack, but it remains a tiny wooden weapon since no other properties are explicitly changed. So clearly projectiles shot from a force bow are sheathed in force that dissipates when they strike.

That seems like a reasonable way to rule the Force-shenanigan out at a table.

Would be good for launch bolt optomization.

Care to elaborate?

Couldn't you make it out of riverine?

Riverine has a gp/lb listing, so I don't see why not. And assuming the bolts are indeed reusable after a successfull hit, that would accomplish the same end, while pre-empting zergling.exe's counter ruling.

The downside would be that on a missed hit you'd still loose the bolt. A siginificant upside, though, would be that crossbow bolts can explicitly be used as improvised daggers, so you could use them for melee combat for a pin-cushion of death approach, preserving your stock.

Vizzerdrix
2016-12-24, 09:10 AM
Care to elaborate?

Arcane thesis- launch bolt, then reach, invisable, chaining, and one other I dont remember. Any ways you fire off a huge volley of bolts with a 1st level spell. Their was a topic or two on the legality of metamagic stacking a few years back and this was one of the things that was born from it.

Jowgen
2016-12-26, 04:01 PM
Arcane thesis- launch bolt, then reach, invisable, chaining, and one other I dont remember. Any ways you fire off a huge volley of bolts with a 1st level spell. Their was a topic or two on the legality of metamagic stacking a few years back and this was one of the things that was born from it.

Interesting. Certainly seems like an efficient way to pincushion your target full of riverine bolts that, come next turn, will almost invariably drain it of all its Con.

Out of curiosity, what's the highest Con score found in a run of the mill monster?