PDA

View Full Version : Satisfying Feat Requirements

Lolth
2007-07-17, 11:14 AM
If you have a Feat, in this case Knockback from Races of Stone, with a requirement that you satisfy some of the time, in this case being a Large creature is the requirement, and the PC would be a Duergar, who can Enlarge Self as an innate ability, does this qualify as fulfilling the requirement, though I imagine the Feat could only be used when Enlarged?

Thanks!

Hyfigh
2007-07-17, 11:22 AM
You're correct. The feat won't work while you aren't meeting its requirements. It is available again when you meet the requirements.

Droodle
2007-07-17, 11:23 AM
If you want to blow a feat that way, I'd let you. It'd be utterly useless any time you aren't enlarged, though, and Dispel Magic is one of those spells that you can expect every full-casting opponent you'll ever face to have. It isn't good when your entire build can be derailed by a third level spell.

Lolth
2007-07-17, 11:26 AM
Indeed not, but in this case it wouldn't derail a build... Just having it is a delicious extra option for the PC in question.

Thanks!

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-07-17, 11:31 AM
If you have a Feat, in this case Knockback from Races of Stone, with a requirement that you satisfy some of the time, in this case being a Large creature is the requirement, and the PC would be a Duergar, who can Enlarge Self as an innate ability, does this qualify as fulfilling the requirement, though I imagine the Feat could only be used when Enlarged.
Generally, you can take a feat you do not normally qualify for if you have some way of semi-permanently fulfilling the prerequisites. For instance, you can use a +4 belt of giant strength to take Power Attack for your 10 Strength character. As you stated, if at any time you lose the prerequisites, you lose the feat's benefits as well.

There are no rules as to how much time out of the day you have to be able to fulfill the prerequisite so you can learn the feat. That requires DM call.

Assuming learning a feat requires some level of dedicated training, I would wager that a character has to be able to specifically train for that feat for at least a half-hour a day. Using that as a guideline, a deurgar would have to be 15th level if only using his racial spell-like ability to satisfy the prerequisite. But if he has other methods available to keep himself enlarged for at least a half hour per day, I'd let him go with it.

In any case, I'd love to see an elite unit of deurgar using their racial abilities to such awesome effect!

AtomicKitKat
2007-07-17, 12:07 PM
Actually, I'd say probably 10 minutes/day as the minimum. That's already 100 rounds, which is pretty long. I would figure the average encounter consists of say, a half dozen slightly under-CR opponents led by an equal/slightly over-CR leader, which should take about 10 rounds, tops, barring "Win button" Wizard tactics. If we say that you should probably do something at least 10 times in order to have a reasonable chance of success(eg, Take 20 requires you to make 20 attempts in order to get one success. In this case, we're sort of taking 10 in order to get it right at least half the time), 100 rounds is a pretty good measure. Of course, we can double it to 200 rounds(20 minutes) and say that you need to basically "Take 20" in order to do something good enough and consistently enough that you can do it whenever you fulfill the requirements.

technomancer
2007-07-17, 12:31 PM
I would say that if you can meet the requirements on your own (i.e. your own spellcasting ability, magic item that you have contant access to, ect), then you can take the feat. As stated earlier, you could only use it when you meet the pre-reqs.

However, if you have to have someone else cast a spell on you to meet the pre-reqs, you can't take the feat.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-07-17, 08:09 PM
Actually, I'd say probably 10 minutes/day as the minimum.
Well, I'm basing my estimate off the fact that most training regimens I have experience with—musical instruments, exercise, etc.—tend to recommend a half hour of daily practice to advance your skill. Of course, this half-hour usually also includes warm-up time. I can see arguments that you don't necessarily need to meet the prerequisite during warm-up (and, if necessary, cool-down) periods for certain feats. But, once again, that's a DM call.