PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Lore Bard | Paladin Multiclass Help

Centik
2016-12-24, 03:03 AM
I'm playing a lore bard at the moment who, through lore reasons, is seeking the means to kill a pit fiend some ways down the line. I'm thinking that the two branching paths for him, story-wise, are either the warlock's path or the holy man's. Leaning toward Paladin, I'm curious as to what a solidly optimal path would be without gimping myself since this will be my first time multi-classing in my year and a half of playing 5e. My stats are 8, 14, 15, 13, 10, 20 with 5 levels of lore bard. I like the idea of a quasi-gish who fights with spells and smites.

Another question that stems from this would be about casting spells using another class' slots: is this possible? Can I cast a paladin spell through my bard's higher level slots?

Guerre
2016-12-24, 03:19 AM
I'm no expert, but judging by your stats.. if your strength is only an 8, you're unable to MC into a Paladin.

You need a 13 strength and 13 charisma in order to MC one. (Page 163 of the PHB.)

The Warlock option only requires 13 charisma, so that would be doable, if you can figure out a way to make it work for you story wise.

Navigator
2016-12-24, 03:22 AM
Good breakpoints are

(1) Bard 18 / Paladin 2 - more or less a full casting Bard that has great armor and smites,
(2) Bard 14 / Paladin 6 - get most of the paladin goodies (second attack, aura) and still get up to 7th level spells including Magical Secrets picks at 14,
(3) Bard 11 / Paladin 9 - if 9 Paladin specifically gets you something cool (i.e. 3rd level oath spell), or
(4) Bard 9 / Paladin 11 - get your free radiant damage for every hit and still get 5th level bard spells

As long as you do 1, 2, or 4, you'll get good mileage out of your class levels. Don't do 3 unless you know what you're doing.

As to how spellcasting works, your Bard and Paladin spells essentially merge together into a single list since both use Charisma. Definitely read the multi-classing rules for spells carefully to get a better understanding.

Centik
2016-12-24, 04:44 AM
I'm no expert, but judging by your stats.. if your strength is only an 8, you're unable to MC into a Paladin.

You need a 13 strength and 13 charisma in order to MC one. (Page 163 of the PHB.)

My DM is more about RP than anything else, and this would be more for flavor than strength. The only reason I'm asking for a bit of optimization advice is so that I can at least keep up with my party and not hamper them any.

djreynolds
2016-12-24, 05:23 AM
I'm playing a lore bard at the moment who, through lore reasons, is seeking the means to kill a pit fiend some ways down the line. I'm thinking that the two branching paths for him, story-wise, are either the warlock's path or the holy man's. Leaning toward Paladin, I'm curious as to what a solidly optimal path would be without gimping myself since this will be my first time multi-classing in my year and a half of playing 5e. My stats are 8, 14, 15, 13, 10, 20 with 5 levels of lore bard. I like the idea of a quasi-gish who fights with spells and smites.

Another question that stems from this would be about casting spells using another class' slots: is this possible? Can I cast a paladin spell through my bard's higher level slots?

Ask if you can change up your stats, if not eldritch knight or swashbuckler are solid choices since your dexterity is 14.

Ask if you can simply move dex and strength around. Normally you would begin paladin for the heavy armor proficiency.

If he waves the strength requirement, simply grab paladin then and go rapier and shield.

Please take at least 6 level of paladin for the aura of protection... it is too good to pass up.

Specter
2016-12-24, 06:37 AM
2 levels of Paladin make any Bard happy. You get medium armor and shields, a fighting style, 10 points of healing per day, some neat level-1 spells (Bless, Shield of Faith, Divine Favor, etc.), and SMITES. Turn all your bard spellcraft into raw damage to the enemy.

With your Magical Secrets, you can already pick the best paladin spells. Some will say you need extra attack, but that's not true; grab a smiting spell like Searing or Wrathful, scale it up and use your regular smite at the same time. Make those fiends cry.

Citan
2016-12-24, 08:32 AM

If you DM can waive around the STR requirement, going Paladin 6 (or 7 for Ancients) is always a solid choice for any character. You renounce to a career of fullcaster though, so you have to think it through... But you also gain much better durability and a bunch of great buffs. ;)

Otherwise, Swashbukcler 3 to get another Expertise, extra mobility and initiative could be nice.

Or just Warlock (Tome is my suggestion, nice cantrips and rituals). Can be the best option if you feel there is a low level spell you are using very regularly: could be fueled with those short-rest slots.

Centik
2016-12-25, 03:33 AM
If you DM can waive around the STR requirement, going Paladin 6 (or 7 for Ancients) is always a solid choice for any character. You renounce to a career of fullcaster though, so you have to think it through... But you also gain much better durability and a bunch of great buffs. ;)

Otherwise, Swashbukcler 3 to get another Expertise, extra mobility and initiative could be nice.

Or just Warlock (Tome is my suggestion, nice cantrips and rituals). Can be the best option if you feel there is a low level spell you are using very regularly: could be fueled with those short-rest slots.
When would I transition levels from bard to paladin? I'm absolutely going to take 6 in bard for secrets, but should I start down the paladin route after that? I guess that would also give my character time to come to terms with the overbearing feeling of helplessness and decide to reach out to a temple for help.

MinotaurWarrior
2016-12-25, 09:26 AM
When would I transition levels from bard to paladin? I'm absolutely going to take 6 in bard for secrets, but should I start down the paladin route after that? I guess that would also give my character time to come to terms with the overbearing feeling of helplessness and decide to reach out to a temple for help.

Yeah, I'd go Lore 6 / Paladin 6 / Lore more. With your paltry 14 Dex I'd recommend Devotion for the + CHA to hit, and it's also fairly thematic.

I'd consider Spirit Guardians for your magical secrets. It's thematic, and it scales with slots, which is helpful when your acquiring new slot levels without accompanying spells known.

Level 7: Woo, 19AC!
Level 8: Woo, 20AC! Smite, +1d8 spirit guardians! You're doing more damage!
Level 9: You can land hits for smites!
Level 10: Warcaster or PAM!
Level 11: Extra attack!
Level 12: Fantastic saves!

Citan
2016-12-25, 12:45 PM
MinautorWarrior's suggestion just above is a pretty good one.
Honestly though, it really depends on what you are most interested in about Paladin features, compared to Bard's higher level spells.

You probably don't want to start multiclassing later than Bard 7 (4th level spells) though, at least if you aim for Paladin 6.

As of multiclassing early... If you want better defense ASAP because your life is regularly threatened, then it may be worth multiclassing even before Magic Secrets.

Really, my best advice would be: if you really want the Aura of Protection, aim straight for it ASAP.
Otherwise, just take a time to think each time you gain a level, and dip each level of Paladin when you feel what it provides is more important to you right now than a level of Bard would give.
1. Medium armor, shield, martial weapons proficiency.
2. Fighting Style (Defense or Protection recommended), bunch of great spells (Command, Bless, Shield of Faith, Oath bonus spells), Divine Smite
3. Oath (Devotion, Crown or Ancients fit imo).
4. ASI
5. Extra Attack, good 2nd level spells (including Oath spells).
6. Aura of Protection
7. Aura of Warding (Ancients only)
You could very well alternate "chunks" of Paladin and Bard levels for example (Bard 6 > Paladin 2 > Bard 8 > Paladin 3 > Bard 10 > Paladin 6). ;)