PDA

View Full Version : optimizing the Cabinet Trickster Class?

SangoProduction
2016-12-24, 11:37 AM
Cabinet Trickster is a sort of infiltration-style 5 level class that focuses on reading / manipulating thoughts. So, the first idea to come to mind is to be a bard or beguiler as the main class....more to go with the theme than to actually optimize, because there doesn't seem to be much benefit to detecting thoughts. Aside from being a poorman's mindsight.

You'd also want Swift Concentration so that you aren't forced to use a major action on maintaining the detect thoughts.

One thing to note: although it's very, very well implied that thought trick is mind-affecting, and most DMs will rule it that way, it is not actually said to be mind-affecting. It also doesn't have an explicit range, though it can be assumed that the Detect Thoughts range is what is used.

Obvious ways to optimize, if possible: some way to change the area of the Detect Thoughts, and increase the range, thus allowing it to be a decent mindsight...that doesn't penetrate barriers, but that's probably for the best.

As well, does the 3-round thing mean that your first 2 rounds of using Detect Thoughts are producing such effects, or is it that each mind must be focused on for 3 rounds to start reading surface thoughts? If the latter, then we would prefer a way to reduce that wind up timer.

daremetoidareyo
2016-12-24, 12:04 PM
At level 5, you can become an Armand (mm3) to get a borrow speed. Add a ring of x Ray vision, or mindsight, and follow the bad guys around, messing with their spell use. Cabinet trickster can keep a mage from learning his prepared spells for the day...

daremetoidareyo
2016-12-24, 12:11 PM
If you are reading a creatures thoughts, you can stun them indefinitely as a swift action every turn. I would try to pair this class with feat that allows a familiar to assume concentration over an effect for you.

SangoProduction
2016-12-24, 12:17 PM
At level 5, you can become an Armand (mm3) to get a borrow speed. Add a ring of x Ray vision, or mindsight, and follow the bad guys around, messing with their spell use. Cabinet trickster can keep a mage from learning his prepared spells for the day...

Be the Armand named Hammer. lol. That can be interesting, assuming they don't outrun your burrow speed.

SangoProduction
2016-12-24, 12:19 PM
If you are reading a creatures thoughts, you can stun them indefinitely as a swift action every turn. I would try to pair this class with feat that allows a familiar to assume concentration over an effect for you.

oh...I didn't know that was a thing...but that's right Psion is a thing (if rarely). And you can acquire a psicrystal with a feat. I forget how you get it to do the concentration for you.

daremetoidareyo
2016-12-24, 12:28 PM
A dip in shapeshifter from OA turns your shape change into wildshape, which you can then apply assume supernatural ability, or aberration wildshape.

Inevitability
2016-12-24, 03:06 PM
Be the Armand named Hammer. lol. That can be interesting, assuming they don't outrun your burrow speed.

I suggest a continuous item of Rapid Burrowing.

The Viscount
2016-12-24, 03:14 PM
It is actually said in the entry that thought tricks are mind affecting, so it is somewhat limited.

As for optimizing the class, there is of course warshaper since it gives you change shape and you can tweak natural weapons from forms you take.

There is some benefit to be gained from Mindspy here, since it combined with cabinet trickster it means you can have several minds ready for thought tricks at a time and scan faster.

daremetoidareyo
2016-12-24, 03:36 PM
Assume supernatural ability and aberration wold shape can give you synad multitasking, which allows you to spend 1 pp to swift action any entirely mental activity.

Also, see my bluff guide in the sig: you can do all kinds of wildstuff with bluff optimization.

SangoProduction
2016-12-24, 04:04 PM
It is actually said in the entry that thought tricks are mind affecting, so it is somewhat limited.

As for optimizing the class, there is of course warshaper since it gives you change shape and you can tweak natural weapons from forms you take.

There is some benefit to be gained from Mindspy here, since it combined with cabinet trickster it means you can have several minds ready for thought tricks at a time and scan faster.

oops. missed that thanks.