PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Samurai Builds

Draco4472
2016-12-24, 12:37 PM
Most of us probably saw the Fighter UA that came out semi-recently.

In short, I'd like to see samurai builds proposed by others, as I intend to play one and would like to see the opinions of others on what would be a fun and/or optimized build for this archetype, pure fighter and multi-classed, despite a build of my own in mind.

Merry Misc. Winter Holidays.

Little boy
2016-12-24, 02:29 PM
I find myself going toward great maul samurai. Great weapon master is great for the samurai. Advantage to hit helps with that -5 to hit and since you aren't really using a shield, the resistance to damage will also help keep you alive. Race can really be anything I think. Nothing blatantly sticks out as amazing

Spectre9000
2016-12-24, 02:37 PM
great maul samurai

Not sure that has ever been a phrase before.

Zilong
2016-12-24, 03:45 PM
Not sure that has ever been a phrase before.

Then may I direct your attention to the weapon known as the tetsubo?

Not exactly the same, but close enough to be considered historically accurate for a "great maul samurai".:smallsmile:

Spectre9000
2016-12-24, 04:57 PM
Then may I direct your attention to the weapon known as the tetsubo?

Not exactly the same, but close enough to be considered historically accurate for a "great maul samurai".:smallsmile:

That seems more like a giant elongated flanged mace as opposed to a giant hammer, but the same results lol. I wasn't aware of that weapon, thanks.

Draco4472
2016-12-24, 05:13 PM
I find myself going toward great maul samurai. Great weapon master is great for the samurai. Advantage to hit helps with that -5 to hit and since you aren't really using a shield, the resistance to damage will also help keep you alive. Race can really be anything I think. Nothing blatantly sticks out as amazing

GWM seems fitting for a traditional Samurai wielding a sword (or in this case, maul) in two hands. I was thinking along the lines of a Dual-wielding build to make use of the advantage given by fighting spirit by making as many weapon attacks as possible. Good thing Fighting Spirit lasts until the end of the PC'snext turn or dual-wielding would be pointless given the Bonus action needed to activate it.

I also had the thought of using Fighting Spirit to give a rogue sneak attack, and Paladins advantage on smites, but barbarian multiclassing would give advantage on attack rolls consistently.

The Shadowdove
2016-12-24, 11:36 PM
Might I also point out the unearthed arcana with the weapon feats. It makes a weapon master even more thematic, while granting useful abilities with your chosen weapons.

djreynolds
2016-12-25, 01:04 AM
Samurai and Kensai monk... that might go well together.

Matheusz
2016-12-25, 01:34 PM
I would go with a DEX Rapier and Shield build. Its effective and very flavorfull as you will be very agile because you wear leather armor and have high dex stats! (the shield doesent fit flavor whise tho)

You can use Studded Leather + Shield for 19 AC and no disadvantage on stealth!
Rapier lets you use DEX as main stat which improves Initiative, AC, Stealth and a lot of good Saving throws
Woodelfes give you +2 DEX, nightvision and 35 Feet movement speed
DEX as main stat let you use a Longbow when you are not in Meele distance
Fighting Style - Duelling for +2 Damage per Weapon attack

FIGHTING SPIRIT is actually pretty insane because it basically gives you advantage on attacks for two turns (as it lasts until the end of your next turn)

Little boy
2016-12-25, 02:28 PM
That seems more like a giant elongated flanged mace as opposed to a giant hammer, but the same results lol. I wasn't aware of that weapon, thanks.

Samurai used a wide variety of weapons. From the short bladed tanto to the full bladed nodachi, the weapons they used varied greatly in size as well. Some tetsubo were not much larger than a fanged mace. Some were nearly as tall as the person wielding them