PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Making a Mega-dungeon in Pathfinder, need some help regarding location.

Graymage
2016-12-24, 08:23 PM
Hello, for the past few months I have been working on a mega-dungeon in Pathfinder and I am debating on where I want it to be located at for the sake of my groups resupplying and selling of loot.

While I have the bulk of it done, 12 theme floors and 20 random sub-levels, spread out to cover a 4-6 person party from 1-20.

The core premise is that is a new dungeon, just appearing after Iron Gods and Wrath of the Righteous adventure paths.

I am thinking of putting it in the Felldales in Numeria but the closest major city is quite far for any shopping or selling of items they find.

While the dungeon itself can generate resources through magic, the problem is how does my party get what they need through normal means.

My first option is that a town will be build at the entrance to the dungeon. But given its location the time till it can offer anything will be an issue.

But I would like some help on a possible alternate location. Or other options.

Also other than 2 people in the group they rarely run any crafters. I run crafting classes some times like the Artificer in 3.5 but only when the campaign supports downtime.

Dragonexx
2016-12-25, 02:41 PM
It could be located it it's own demiplane, with portals out to the prime material at various points.

Feddlefew
2016-12-25, 05:40 PM
I've usually solved this problem by having a central corridor or stairway with a small settlement in it, mostly populated by treasure and/or monster hunters and the people who provide services to them. It doesn't have to be there at the start; as the party moves loot out, word spreads about the dungeon and fortune seekers of all stripes move in.

Graymage
2016-12-25, 06:53 PM
well I did setup a mini-town area on the first floor which is the main entry to the dungeon and contains teleporters to all the floors but the very bottom without the right key.

The origin of the dungeon is that it was the 2nd largest piece that fell during the Rain of Stars that went over Numeria.

The AI in charge of that section was in charge of the terraforming operations. it used its Core to Terraform (as per the spell) a section of land into mud to land its section. the spell wore off and it was now trapped in solid rock.

It ended up in a similar situation to the other AIs but due to its alignment (Neutral) and original task (making new worlds or environments) it started turning the ship and the surrounding area into a multi-level habitat.

Each theme level is a habitat, the sub-levels mostly where it keeps the facilities it needs to support the habitats and other needs. It pulled creatures both living and undead to its domain.

One nasty side-effect of the mythic power, is the need to improve the species under its domain. The lowly goblin is a CR 1/2 with proper equipment, training. Is a lot tougher and stronger compared to normal goblins.

Movement through the dungeon is rather easy, teleporters in multiple locations on each floor. Access to secure areas is constrained by the need for colored keycards.

Teleportation, Divination, and Dimensional travel is blocked within a 10 mile radius of the Core. This covers the entire dungeon and surrounding area.

The extraplanar entities trapped on one of the levels find they can't get out nor can they die and return home.

Which still leaves me with the major issue on PC supplies and gear.

The closest city in the felldales where I have the dungeon initially planned is Kuratown with Aaramoor and Castle Urion both within a 100 miles. Kuratown is about 40 miles.

I have no issues moving the location of the dungeon.

Either I move it to a closer city or have the means of a town being setup at the dungeon entrance.

Which oddly enough compared to the rest of the Felldales is a very verdant area with springs of clean water coming up.

I am leaning toward setting up merchants and other vendors in the entry area and on the surface. But how to do the timing and scaling with the PC's progress.

Feddlefew
2016-12-26, 06:03 PM
Is there a road near the dungeon? Have other people tried to raid it before?

Graymage
2016-12-26, 06:37 PM
a recent terraform opened up the dungeon. the landscape was altered and the dungeon is now open for the first time.

No roads near, pretty much in a wasteland area, but the big spell effect will be seen. It being a massive flash of green light.