PDA

View Full Version : Morphic Familiar + Divine Rank = ???

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-12-24, 08:35 PM
I just had a bit of a brainwave.

Gods have this as one of their abilities:

Familiar
A deity of rank 1 or higher with levels as a sorcerer or a wizard has the ability to treat any creature of a given kind as a familiar, as long as that creature is within a distance of one mile per divine rank of the deity. This special familiar ability only applies to one creature at a time, but the deity can switch between one creature and another instantaneously, as long as the second creature is within range. This special familiar ability does not replace the deity’s ability to have a normal familiar, which could be any kind of eligible creature.

Meanwhile, changeling wizards have an ACF:

Morphic Familiar
At 5th level, a changeling wizard’s familiar gains the ability to alter its form on command. As a full-round action, the familiar can change its form to that of any creature that the wizard could normally have as a familiar (see page 52 of the Player’s Handbook). The wizard gains the new benefit of the familiar while losing the previous benefit. If the changeling wizard does not have a familiar, this ability has no effect until he gains one.

This substitution feature replaces the standard wizard’s bonus feat gained at 5th level.

Now, let's pretend that we have a changeling with at least 5 wizard levels and a few divine ranks. It has its regular familiar, Obtain Familiar, Extra Familiar, and one familiar granted via its divine ranks. Does that mean we have four creatures that can now morph into literally anything, templated or otherwise? Because gods aren't restricted to non-templated familiars, and "any creature of a given kind" is extremely vague. "Any human" qualifies, as does "any humanoid," "any living creature," and "any creature that isn't also an object." So long as your character's definition for that phrase is broad enough, you're basically unrestricted entirely.

And you can even use yourself as your own familiar, granting yourself whatever templates you want, whenever you want them.

Thoughts?

InvisibleBison
2016-12-24, 08:40 PM
It's a pretty cool idea, but I don't think it would work. It looks to me like the "divine familiar" and the "wizard familiar" are two separate things, and the morphic familiar ACF only applies to the latter.

Doctor Despair
2016-12-24, 09:39 PM
Well, the familiar ability does say "any creature of a given kind as a familiar", so I suspect you have to choose a subtype or at least a type that this ability extends to. However, in the absence of anything saying otherwise, yes, this seems like it would work by RAW. There's no need to downplay the abilities of deities, haha. Multiple Terrasques at will isn't too OP at that level.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-12-24, 10:08 PM
It's a pretty cool idea, but I don't think it would work. It looks to me like the "divine familiar" and the "wizard familiar" are two separate things, and the morphic familiar ACF only applies to the latter.There's a qualitative difference between "changeling wizard's familiar" and "changeling's wizard familiar." The first one means that any familiar belonging to the changeling wizard qualifies; the second means that only the one he gained from being a wizard qualifies (though in this case, Extra Familiar and whatnot also benefit from anything his normal familiar does).

Also, he can swap familiars at will, so he can swap one in, let it transform into whatever it wants, and then swap to a new one to do the same thing. It's a nice way to get yourself that army of fiendish epic-pseudonatural half-black-dragon half-red-dragon half-troll lernaean tarrasques you've always wanted.