PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Japanese Demons

RumoCrytuf
2016-12-24, 11:01 PM
I've been toying with a couple of ideas in my head, sketching out rough adventure ideas, and there was this one that I liked revolving around Oni kidnapping the PCs to later try to sacrifice them to Japanese Demon-Gods. What are some Demon names in Japanese Mythology? Any homebrewed baddies you've got? I'm not looking for anything specific, just something to work with. Or many things to work with, whichever fits.

Gastronomie
2016-12-24, 11:17 PM
Well, I'm Japanese, so I might as well speak.

First-off: Japanese mythology more or less involves about a gajillion gods who are either Chaotic Neutral or Lawful Neutral, and not many "evil gods". Most gods are two-sided, and they can become "good" or "bad" depending on their mood (Japanese festivals were originally held to entertain the gods, as to not make their mood angry and result in a famine/earthquake/volcanic eruption/whatever). Making an evil god appear is technically possible (I doubt anyone at your table will realize if you jumble together random kanji and create a homebrew god), but it sorta goes against the original ideas of Japanese mythology.

There are many evil monsters, though, the Yamata no Orochi (Japanese version of the Hydra) being the prime example. And certain non-god entities, such as the Yomotsu Shikome of the underworld, are generally portrayed as being evil.

More importantly, Oni do not appear in Japanese mythology. Oni appear in Japanese folklore. These are completely different things that are often mixed together. (And in folklore, there's the Yokai, so that's quite a lot of ideas you can use.)

In folklore, the Oni had a ruler amongst them, the Shuten-Douji. Shuten-Douji has already been slain, but you could build another powerful Oni to take his place, you could say monsters eventually reform (like in Percy Jackson), or you could say the Shuten-Douji is trying to resurrect itself through a vile ritual, said ritual involving the human sacrifices.

But most of the time, in folklore, Oni kill for the sake of eating. (That info could be used to lead the players to the assumption that the oni are up to something more grand than simply filling their stomachs, though.)

I think Shuten-Douji seems like the easiest answer.

BTW, I have some homebrew Yokai in the link in my sig, if you're interested.

RumoCrytuf
2016-12-24, 11:59 PM

First-off: Japanese mythology more or less involves about a gajillion gods who are either Chaotic Neutral or Lawful Neutral, and not many "evil gods". Most gods are two-sided, and they can become "good" or "bad" depending on their mood (Japanese festivals were originally held to entertain the gods, as to not make their mood angry and result in a famine/earthquake/volcanic eruption/whatever). Making an evil god appear is technically possible (I doubt anyone at your table will realize if you jumble together random kanji and create a homebrew god), but it sorta goes against the original ideas of Japanese mythology.

There are many evil monsters, though, the Yamata no Orochi (Japanese version of the Hydra) being the prime example. And certain non-god entities, such as the Yomotsu Shikome of the underworld, are generally portrayed as being evil.

More importantly, Oni do not appear in Japanese mythology. Oni appear in Japanese folklore. These are completely different things that are often mixed together. (And in folklore, there's the Yokai, so that's quite a lot of ideas you can use.)

In folklore, the Oni had a ruler amongst them, the Shuten-Douji. Shuten-Douji has already been slain, but you could build another powerful Oni to take his place, you could say monsters eventually reform (like in Percy Jackson), or you could say the Shuten-Douji is trying to resurrect itself through a vile ritual, said ritual involving the human sacrifices.

But most of the time, in folklore, Oni kill for the sake of eating. (That info could be used to lead the players to the assumption that the oni are up to something more grand than simply filling their stomachs, though.)

I think Shuten-Douji seems like the easiest answer.

BTW, I have some homebrew Yokai in the link in my sig, if you're interested.

First off, you have sparked my next campaign. Secondly, thanks for pointing out the difference between mythology and folklore and giving me ideas. Finally, I don't see your sig? I would love to see the homebrew yokai, but I don't see your sig. :(

Arcangel4774
2016-12-25, 02:07 AM
Finally, I don't see your sig? I would love to see the homebrew yokai, but I don't see your sig. :(

Mobile? Either way click his name and scroll down a bit. There should be something along the lines of homebrew extended signature that's got tons of goodies.

Dr. Cliché
2016-12-25, 06:36 PM
I've been toying with a couple of ideas in my head, sketching out rough adventure ideas, and there was this one that I liked revolving around Oni kidnapping the PCs to later try to sacrifice them to Japanese Demon-Gods. What are some Demon names in Japanese Mythology?

You could always borrow some of the names from the MtG Kamigawa set (especially the Red and Black ones):

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&type=+[%22Legendary%22]+[%22Creature%22]&format=+[%22Kamigawa%20Block%22]&color=+![G]+![W]+![U]

A few of my favourites:
- Azamuki, Treachery Incarnate
- Horobi, Death's Wail
- Kyoki, Sanity's Eclipse
- Seizan, Perverter of Truth

Any homebrewed baddies you've got? I'm not looking for anything specific, just something to work with. Or many things to work with, whichever fits.

Not exactly a demon, but I've been messing around with a Kitsune as one of the villains in my campaign.

This was my inspiration:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/73/0a/f9/730af985a264ef8b24c8727317b7131c.jpg

Mandragola
2016-12-25, 08:10 PM
The L5R rpg has a lot of material on Oni. It's a much darker setting than forgotten realms. Books like Bearers of Jade are very cool.

bid
2016-12-26, 01:01 AM
Finally, I don't see your sig? I would love to see the homebrew yokai, but I don't see your sig. :(
You can see the sig at profile/about me if you click on the name... I don't know why it's not here though.

Dr. Cliché
2016-12-26, 06:17 AM
Something else to consider would be the demons in Princess Mononoke. They are spirits that have been corrupted by contact with 'unnatural' things (bullets in this case):

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xhgwMvn-OF0/TLe9rfRdaJI/AAAAAAAAAI0/rHRFEfi0olQ/s1600/23.jpg

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/studio-ghibli/images/5/5f/Demon_Worm.png/revision/latest?cb=20130405150537

https://ppn15artcomicsandanimation.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/297127_1252527496257_full.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff219/semdai/Princess%20Mononoke/Okotto%20and%20Boars/vlcsnap-1318274.jpg

https://whataboutdrinks.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/okkoto.jpg

ChildofLuthic
2016-12-27, 01:47 AM

First-off: Japanese mythology more or less involves about a gajillion gods who are either Chaotic Neutral or Lawful Neutral, and not many "evil gods". Most gods are two-sided, and they can become "good" or "bad" depending on their mood.

I feel like this would be really interesting theology to use, even in a non Japanese setting. A really important god (lets say a rain god) is pissed, and some cultists have been encouraging that side of him, trying to bring floods and lightning, etc., thinking that the world is irredeemable or whatever.

So our heroes have to beat up the cultists AND try to calm the god, so that he can go back to helping feed crops and stuff. Maybe they have to find some object and give it to the god. Then when the god is happy, he gives the heroes cool things and thanks them for restoring his faith in the world.